Judge Frollo is probably the deepest character ever created in any animated feature

Judge Frollo is probably the deepest character ever created in any animated feature.

He's genuinely faithful and god-fearing, and this leads him to pursue the heathen gypsies that infest Paris. While he commits a sin in killing one, he attempts to redeem himself by raising the malformed Quasimodo. And he does so with pretty remarkable compassion, considering it was an age where such children were usually put to death immediately and no one would have batted an eye. You might say he did it mainly for his own gain, but Quasimodo was never meant to leave the Notre Dame, so it's not exactly as if Frollo benefited from the years of caring for him.

Secondly, his hatred of Esmeralda stems from her inciting sexual desire in him, which he thought himself immune to. He fears that her temptation will lead him to sin and call down the wrath of god upon him, which is why he sets out to eliminate her. Selfish as it may seem, he is proven right when the captain of his guard, an otherwise upstanding man, is seduced by Esmeralda thereby proving that her wanton behavior WAS a valid source of worry which served to twist the heads of the less faithful.

In the end, based entirely on the contemporary behavior of people of the time period, Frollo did nothing wrong and was actually pretty progressive.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iaMmSW4c194&list=PL16A28B2CBB682BD9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nice essay fag.

Nah, he wanted to kill a lady for giving him a boner instead of just fapping and moving on with his life. Guy was beta as fuck.

Also, judging people by the standards of their time is dumb because times change. If it's wrong to judge people relative to their cultures, then we should consider huge generational shifts to be essentially other cultures and hold them to the same standards of morality that we hold everyone else to.

No more metal gear solid for you.

>Also, judging people by the standards of their time is dumb because times change
Judging historical things by contemporary standards is the dumbest possible thing you can do and definitive proof you've got a single-digit IQ.

I don't play videogames. I watch childrens cartoons like an adult.

>it's wrong to judge people relative to their cultures

guess we should let women die in childbirth, nazis murder anyone they want, and asian women wrap their feet so they can't walk in the present time then.

You do realize that Frollo is a character from a novel by Victor Hugo, right?

Frollo's song gets stuck in my head whenever I see a girl with dark hair.

I was saying IF it is wrong to judge people relative to their cultures.

I don't believe that it is, which is why I think judging people relative to their time is dumb because that's just a way of saying "they have a different culture - you can't judge them like us".

nah it's cool. the entire reason MJ was made illegal was so they could imprison africans. (yes, that's the literal truth) so we should DEFINITELY keep MJ illegal even thought it is, in reality, medicine.

I want Frollo to rape me

youtube.com/watch?v=iaMmSW4c194&list=PL16A28B2CBB682BD9

It wasn't to imprison africans.

It was to imprison mexicans AND africans. They didn't like either of them.

>we should consider generational changes

okay yes i agree, but the way you said it made it seem like you were implying we shouldn't.

Surely you mean "not hold them to the same standards of morality"?

okay thanks for correcting me.

Yeah my wording came out all fucked up. I don't edit much when I post on Sup Forums.

Basically relative morality is stupid.

I'm still mad at Disney for not fatihfully portraying Esmeralda as in the book and reduced her into an another cardboard Disney Princess.

And to think it could all have been avoided if the thieving gypsies had stayed the fuck out of Paris.

>Judge Frollo is probably the deepest character ever created in any animated feature.
No. I mean, he is deeper than any other Disney villain, but no, he's not the deepest animated character ever, that's just stupid.

Well Quasi wasn't a literal retard who died humping a corpse either.

I think they were just trying to give a really dark story something approximating a happy ending.

Why they chose to adapt this story at all is another matter. It would be like a musical Moby Dick with the whale having a big musical number or something.

>judging people by the standards of their time is dumb because times change.
That's exactly why it's not dumb, unless you want to consider the vast majority of everyone in the past evil.

>we should consider huge generational shifts to be essentially other cultures
Yeah, we should.

Yeah but people shit on the idea of judging other cultures differently all the time for pretty good reasons. Because sometimes they normalize really shitty behaviors.

Case in point:

There's a difference between judging a culture and judging the individuals in that culture. If you're raised in a time and place where foot binding is completely normal, it's going to be a lot more difficult to come to the conclusion that's it's really fucked up than if you're raised in America in the 21st century. That's something you have to take into account when judging someone's character for their opinion on foot binding.

frollo spelled backwards is olaf from frozen

Loveable braindead snowman Ollorf sounds more fun than what we got.

>Nazi
>culture
Is this the result of American education?

Americans always take things to extremes, so they probably have people who think they are nazis.

Half Life 3 confirmed

this should be Sup Forums's banner

Esmeralda living isn't a Disney original thing. Victor Hugo even approved of her surviving in one of the Hunchback plays he made back around late 19th/early 20th century.

even if Quasimodo was never meant to leave Notre Dame, he still never had to pay a bellringer.

>needing redemption for killing gypsies

wtf is this
It's so stupid but it hurts