Why have blatant and tasteless anime references become the norm for modern cartoons?

why have blatant and tasteless anime references become the norm for modern cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e4gmx/i_am_rebecca_sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjvykmy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because the creators of these shows grew up watching anime and it influenced their art and writing.

Because what I liked when I was young was cool and I want to make sure new generations think they're cool too by just emulating the things they did!

I think that when The Simpsons would do this shit with classic movies it was great but I don't know what it is about modern cartoons doing it that makes it seem so cheap and bad.

90% of SU's audience doesn't even get that reference. Which I guess just shows why western cartoons stick to DBZ and Sailor Moon for their anime references since that's all they can expect their audience to recognize.

I'm fine with Simpsons, since they tend to spoof or play off the scenes they end up doing. SU just about redraws the scenes and while it didn't bother me at first, it feels more desperate with each example.

Because western cartoons today are a parasitic appendage on the ass of anime. The industry is dead, a true collapse occured. Total creative bankruptcy.

Whats tasteless about these references?

It's referencing garbage, and garbage is tasteless because it smells like shit.

Why does it bother you so much?Jesus Christ.

>nge
>garbage
That's a spicy opinion you got there, bud.

This. People here are making a storm in a glass of water. It's the same as when 80's cartoons all parodied The Godfather, The Untouchables and other stereotypical Italian mafia and Noir detective movies when showing a criminal organization or a crime mistery episode and all school bullies where either jocks or wear black leather jackets.

Each generation of cartoons is influenced by the experiences of their creators. Makes you wonder what new gags and references will pop out in cartoons ten years from now.

>modern cartoons

Have you forgotten the constant Pokemon and Dragonball Z references of the 2000s?

They're a crutch for people who can't do something actually interesting without deferring to some vague unspoken sense of being "with it." People who do it don't deserve their jobs.

Typically the difference is that doing spoofs or parodies are meant for comedic effect. Like if South Park were to parody a horror movie but instead of monsters, replace it with Ginger Kids, it becomes funny even though they're copying the same beat-for-beat horror scene. Or how Simpsons might reference Indiana Jones, but it's Bart stealing a jar of coins and running away from Homer. It's funny because now a simple situation is turned into an adventure with a fat man acting as a boulder.

SU uses references during emotional climaxes even during serious fight scenes. Those are usually the times when you should be creative, not do a reference.

>turning crucified mechs into pizzas
>tasteless
My nigga, that's called comedy.

>tasteless
pizza is fucking delicious

I would love for this to be real

[spolier]But NGE is a 8/10 show

Almost no one gets EVA

When the west does an anime parody its always DBZ, naruto, pokemon, sailor moon ir originally speed racer

>But NGE is a 10/10 show
FTFY

There's a difference between influence and being hacks.

Steven being "what if Sailor Moon was a boy?" is an example of influence.
Shot for shot copy pasting - especially in what are supposed to be serious scenes rather than just a gag reference - is just creatively bankrupt. Maybe instead of having a fucking "homage" in a fight scene, you could just attempt some interesting swordplay choreography on your own?

>Typically the difference is that doing spoofs or parodies are meant for comedic effect
That's the point. References aren't always spoofs. Sometimes is just something in the collective consciousness of the generation the writer/artist belongs to that gives him/her something to reflect their concept of an idea or a setting. Evangelion and DBZ we're all over the fucking place a couple decades ago so it's no surprise it's referenced with or without intention. Funnily it's almost completely harmless to new audience that don't catch where it comes from. It's usually the people who knows the source the ones who react to it either by feeling identified or by throwing a bitch fit.

>Serious scenes
The pizza slices on the ocean work fine within the context of the episode. SU have serious moments but never too serious. It's still a show about the adventures of a magical fat boy and his colorful alien aunts fighting evil rock monsters while singing about food and feelings.

Why people feels the need to criticize this show as if it where a Shakespeare work?

>as an artist, how do I reflect this concept?
>copy someone else's work, no one will notice anyway lol

I'm guessing you didn't do any post-secondary

Quote where I was talking about the pizza scene retard.
Also
>i-it's just a cartoon
isn't an argument.

>Why people feels the need to criticize this show as if it where a Shakespeare work?
Because the show wants you to take it seriously considering it often deals with themes of PTSD, mourning, has war criminal characters who take their past seriously, contemplates on self-identity and belonging, and turning conscious beings into a geo-weapon whose very existence is pain.

You can't have this in a cartoon, talk about how you want to make a cartoon with mature themes that everyone can enjoy, and then backpedal and say, "Ha-ha it's just a kids cartoon, bro!" whenever people criticize your work.

I guess any work of fiction that ever dares to make a nod to something should be banned and his creator demoted.

>Steven being "what if Sailor Moon was a boy?" is an example of influence.
It's actually more based on Future Boy Conan.

It is, actually. You want a completely serious and grimm scene out of a show that rarely if ever has gone to such edges and in a non-particularly serious episode to boot. So yeah, SU being a kid friendly cartoon does have something to do with it.

>Each generation of cartoons is influenced by the experiences of their creators.
So getting bullied and watching Naruto all weekend?

The Simpsons used to use the thing they're parodying as a base and build off from there, now they like most others parodying chose to just take scenes, lines, scenarios ect. wholesale with little to no change

You should relax a bit. SU is pretty light in it's approach to those themes, sure it acknowledge them in interesting ways but it isn't high literature by any means. I like that it has it's intense moments but can go back to its fun carefree nature just fine. Unlike stuff like (ironically) Evangelion who it's cool and all but maybe takes itself a bit way too seriously. I recognize SU for pushing a bit the boundaries of what can be shown in a kids show but ultimately is still within said boundaries. Maybe that's what frustrates fans? A glimpse of a deeper story that likely won't be ever able to explore it's own final consequences?

DUDE ANIME LMAO

>but it isn't high literature by any means.
Neither is Shakespeare, unless you're actually a high schooler who think it is because "it's old".

Themes don't need to be taken at a Breaking Bad level in order to be considered "serious". When a character emotionally manipulates a grieving single father and doesn't subdue it with a joke, then that means SU takes its themes seriously enough. That's all that matters. You don't need to compare levels of seriousness on a spectrum to justify misfitting tonal shifts.

>You should relax a bit.
This is a real shit attitude to have to make your point look more reasonable than it actually is.

What times have they "redrawn" other than the 2 shots of the swordfight?

Have you ever considered the outrageous possibility that the writers may be using tone different to what you're used to?

>It's actually more based on Future Boy Conan
I never finished watching Future Boy Conan (only seen like 6 episodes but I somehow highly doubt Rebecca Sugar was greatly influenced by it. Proof or gtfo.

See

That's not a redraw. It's a simple reference, if anything.

Shakespeare was a hack, even in his days. Adam Sandler tier.

It really bothers me that people treat visual shoutouts to anime as some sort of recent thing. Go back a decade and a half and everyone's doing Akira nods, and even then it still wasn't anything new to put something like that in.

You don't have to like it, but art doesn't exist in a vaccuum, and just about every piece of art ever produced wears its influences on its sleeve.

>Steven being "what if Sailor Moon was a boy?" is an example of influence.

>comparing SU to Sailor Moon
The nerve of some people

>I somehow highly doubt Rebecca Sugar was greatly influenced by it.
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e4gmx/i_am_rebecca_sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjvykmy/

It's nearly impossible to get a legal copy of Eva outside of Japan so the references go right over peoples' heads. So critics praise SU as some advant garde cartoon because they haven't seen the source of inspiration.

>It's nearly impossible to get a legal copy of Eva outside of Japan so the references go right over peoples' head
What the fuck are you talking about? Eva was sold in America and Europe and it aired on toonami. Everyone and their fucking mother who knows anything about anime has seen it. It is literally the least obscure show in the west outside of Dragon Ball Z.

You say that as if that hasn't always been the case.

Anime fans have seen it but people on the street wouldn't recognize anything about it. If you want to get into EVA now you can't just stream it on Netflix or Crunchyroll, or even find it on store shelves. You'll have to pirate.

Thanks for linking proof most faggots can't do that, I'll accept I was wrong I just didn't see the clear connection between the two shows. basic overall feel, yes, direct parallels, no.

Steven is a naiive more powerful than average guy who sees the world through rose colored glasses (no pun intended). He ends up getting mixed up in some high level shit and has to adjust his world view to deal with it. It DOES fit, and it's only an influence, not a cookie cutter copy of the story.

>Copy surface level shit like spikey hair, sound fx, iconic scenes (Akira bike, OP's pic) and other anime tropes
>Forget good composition, timing and drawing good in general
wew

>expecting quality from cartoons
>in current year
I admire your optimism

>Forget good composition, timing and drawing good in general
>Forget
>implying America ever had any of that to begin with

I think anime is superior to modern cartoons but don't be a weeb, Disney movies have amazing composition. To think the west is incapable of good shit is narrow minded.

We fucking did, once...

back in the fifties.

So THATS why their show sucks this much dick

>crucified mechs
Ive never noticed that, being someone that never saw NGE

The only good thing in NGE were the adult characters.

NGE is the best anime, OBJECTIVELY

The Akira slide is beyond a reference, it's been used so many times (and is still used today) that it has become simply another cliche devoid of inherent meaning or connection to its origin. Like how Gainax had their Gunbuster Pose and Sunrise has their "sunrise stance", things that have been referenced so many times that they've ceased to be a concrete reference to any particular thing and are now just a visual cliche.

Tell me what the inherent meaning of the Akira slide was other than 'here's a badass way we can animate a bike drifting to a stop'

It's inherent meaning is that is from Akira. It makes you think of Akira when you see it. Only many people who see it now no longer make that connection. Hence it is devoid of any inherent connections, it's just a visual cliche, like the Wilhelm Scream is an audio cliche.

Why is this image funny

>still believing a guy named "Shakespeare" wrote all that shit

Ah I suppose that's fair, still it'll always be an interesting tidbit to know where it came from. Your post made me google both the gunbuster pose and the sunrise stance and I get what you mean. I've seen those poses countless times but had no idea that they really came from anywhere.

I don t know. but I hate It, I hate being reminded about Anime everyfuckingwere, I think I may become uber-normie and watch sports or something, it really makes me mad.

>NGE is garbage

It's a 7/10 at worst, and that's if for whatever reason, all of it's themes grind on your nerves.

>Connie, where's your parachute?
>I don't need a parachute, I believe in you steven!
>That's not the point, you need a parachute!

Or quit being a pleb and embrace the superior medium

so what would call a blatant and tasteful reference?

because I love shot for shot references and find them pretty great, especially when the writers actually kind of know what they are tallkin about instead of a stock reference

It's not some cultural force, user. It's just another country's media. "Becoming uber-normie" will no sooner shield you from it than from, say, pho. Or Kpop.