Buy/Shelf/Collection Thread

Last one died. Talk about your collections, hauls, etc. or just comics in general.

Don't know where to buy? Try these:
amazon.com/
instocktrades.com/
cheapgraphicnovels.com/
[your local comic shop here]

Are you Euro or UK and don't know where you buy? Try these:
cheap-comics.com (EU)
booksetc.com (EU)
speedyhen.com (UK, hefty fees if delivery adress outside of UK)
bookdepository.com (free worldwide shipping but known to manhandle books)

New list of things out next week:
comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/next-week

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g
youtu.be/aaVjQIG4Gt0
instocktrades.com/search/powersearch?title=Uncanny X-men Omnibus&publisher=Marvel
cheapgraphicnovels.com/_search.php?page=1&q=Uncanny x-men omnibus&x=53&y=23
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

oh hey, something good came of that sticky

Thinking about picking up that Bronze Age Swamp Thing Omnibus coming out though because of it.

Does it collect the first issues of swamp thing or is it just a random time period where there was good issues? If it collects the first two or three years of swampy I might grab it so it can sit next to Moore and snyders run on my shelf

These came on Saturay

Collects THE HOUSE OF SECRETS #92, SWAMP THING #1-24, THE SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING #1-19 and THE SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING ANNUAL #1.

...these came the week before. Will take some new photos of my (slightly) reorganised shelves later

I might pick this up. Think it would be interesting to have this and the Man-Thing omnibuses to read.

Does anyone use Paypal credit on eBay? I'm tired of Amazon fucking everything up but had issues with Paypal years back and don't like using it directly.

....and got these a few days earlier. Got the new John Hankiewicz, the latest Palookaville and some Breakdown Press stuff on the way too

It's everything from his first appearance to the last issue before Moore came on.

paypal is fine, just a bit slow

will Pope Hats/ Crickets end up being collected?
little floppies seem too delicate for me

These bad boys arrived today, it'll be my first dip into green lantern

Harkham has confirmed the current Blood of the Virgin arc will be collected, Rilly is doing a Pope Hats collection but an user said in the Pope Hats #2 (?) storytime that he is collecting the Frannie and Vickie arc (which finished in the ish I posted) minus Pope Hats#1, because it kind of embarrasses him now, apparently.

You're missing out user, Crickets and PH are two of the absolute best "alternative"/"art"/"literary" ongoing floppies out there. Pope Hats especially has really sturdy glossy card covers; if they can stand up to being scanned with no spine roll (a pet hate) then they must be pretty tough, no?! Crickets (the self-pubbed from #3 onwards BOV arc, I mean) started off with flimsy covers made from the same paper as the interiors but went to card covers with the next ish. There are so few alternative floppies still out there it feels like I'm not supporting "the movement" if I trade-wait, fuck that, no dis to anyone who does, though. And yes of course I have (and will!) buy the collections too, see (Ripple), that's the third time I've bought that material, first when it was serialised in Cooper's comic Weasel, then when the original s/c collection came out and finally (wow, I think ten years later, fuck I feel old) in it's new hardcover form.

When is Pope Hats 4 storytime coming?

Ha, I'm squashing the issue back to shape with my scanner lid. Today or tomorrow. Day off tomorrow so more likely then. It's all scanned though

Does anyone know yet what the fourth world omni is gonna contain?

>minus Pope Hats#1, because it kind of embarrasses him now, apparently.

So just like DeForge and Lose

IT'S booksetc.CO.UK. why doesn't any single one of you faggots update that shit?

ok, looking forward to it!

>Mimi and the wolves
Good taste. Managed to grab Wool and Gin and one of those town on a hill prints from her too. I need to double check, but I think mine actually be number 19 that she's using as an example.

BOOKSETC.CO.UK
GET IT THE FUCK RIGHT

Anyone have Justice (Alex Ross)? Is it a good book? Wanted to buy Kingdom Come and eventually Justice but I'm not sure which one of the books is better. Seems to me that people usually recommend Kingdom Come

can't say anything about the story since Ross' art turns me away

It may well have been you who recommended it to me...are you the user with all three books? I said I'd been thinking about getting them for ages so took the plunge on (maybe your) recommendation.
That print is really nice. It reminds me of an artist I can't think of at the moment, old 40's/50's type kid's illustrator, kind of crossed with Jim Flora, being the more prominent influence I can see. Nice stuff. And if it WAS you, thanks for finally convincing me, read the first book and really enjoyed it.
You know what I'm like, but I've managed to wangle leaving work early so I may post this evening. If not I'll certainly make sure it's all edited correctly etc. Pretty sure I split up all the spreads, on work computer so haven't got my files available. Speak soon my dude!
I know, right? user's fall for his technique but for me it totally pulls me out of the comic-reading experience. And I've seen some really cool Jack Davis-style quick b & w sketches obviously from his imagination that looked great, if only he'd do something in that style...there was an Alex Ross who did a really weird, bizarrely-drawn strip for the old Fanta anthology Snake Eyes, the styles between cape Alex Ross and this other guy are complete polar opposites, it's like a sort of b & w Odile Redon meets Basil Wolverton crossed with Salvador Dali's "melting" images, really cool. Can't find out anything about this mysterious Alex Ross but in the back of my mind I think it'd be so fucking cool if they were the same person...John Kricfalusi was in an old early issue of Crumb's Weirdo, I remember actually scanning it and posting it here 'cause no-one believed me.

Tfw you have issue 1 of both comics

>It may well have been you who recommended it to me...are you the user with all three books?
Yeah, that was me. Glad you like it! I know one or two other anons have them too, though. I don't do shit at work, so I'm usually on most of the morning.

Awh wicked, a sincere thanks to you, man!

Btw home now, still got about 1/4 of the spreads to split up, damn I forgot how good #4 is, especially the mental illness story...I have to thank everyone who requested the storytimes; it's made me re-read (and, more importantly, re-evaluate as one of the best three ongoing alt floppies atm) Pope Hats in it's entirety...#5 is a fucking revelation. Read the Rob Clough TCJ review and it's true what he says, it could not have been done so perfectly in any other medium. Medium specificity! Clement Greenberg ftw (personally I think he had pretty shit taste in art but he was right about medium specificity)....

1/2, this is missing a few things, namely Flintstones, the Fix, King city, Atomic Robo and the Don Rosa slipcases.

2/2.

>as one of the best three ongoing alt floppies

Pope Hats, Crickets,... what's the 3rd?

I have a bunch of new stuff I just haven't taken a picture of yet. But thread needs a bump

new is
>Kabuki Library Series
>Rem8
>Books of Magic Vol2
>Providence
>last 2 Sunstone books

>it's the guy who has a 20 paragraph story to tell that has hardly anything to do with the post he quoted again

>so I may post this evening

OH YEAH
youtube.com/watch?v=6jJkdRaa04g

Lose

Johns' GL is good, but you might get more out of it if you read the Green Lantern Corps books alongside it. Those haven't been nicely collected though. Relevant GLC issues are in those omnibuses though

MACK ATTACK!
>Sup Forums, an imageboard for the discussion of comics and cartoons

I thought it was pertinent. user said he doesn't like Alex Ross, I agreed, and shared a small anecdote about another Alex Ross working at the complete opposite end of the medium. Does that not at least pique your interest slightly? I dunno, it stimulates my imagination, like I said I can't find ANYTHING out about this "other" Alex Ross, I fancy he could be indulging in some Stalinist style (self) revision, and that's why no-one has made the connection. Loads of cartoonists/comic artists have early work they disavow, see

I'll finally be in the same area as a somewhat large comic book shop soon, but they'll be running some stupid Batman+Harley Quinn event the whole time I'm in the area... So I guess actually going there isn't happening

Why does your plug socket look so shocked, what did it see?

So am I missing anything opting for the GL trades rather than getting the omnibus editions? I've already got Secret Origins, No Fear and Rebirth so I might as well pick up the rest in that format.

Here's another haul, mind the vertical it was the only way to get everything in frame

youtu.be/aaVjQIG4Gt0

That Fathom looked interesting, what's it about?

An underwater civilization and the surface dweller humans go to war

The box was Ocean themed so it's all about pirates and stuff like that

>hellboy library edition 1-5 all unopened 105 bucks
>powers the definitive hardcover 1-5 3-5 unopened 65 bucks
>100 bullets 1-5 hardcovers 90 bucks all unopened.

tfw your smart phone breaks and your on a clamshell because of this shit and you can't post photos.
>it's fucking worth it.

Also here is my collection so far

Sorry, the camera went out of focus randomly

I recommend Archer and Armstrong along with Quantum and Woody. Been meaning to get the rest of Archer and Armstrong lately.

at least he dropped his trip. Baby steps.

I haven't added to my collection in about a year and a half now. I have a tendency to hoard money and am never sure whether I should get round to upping my Complete Peanuts collection, or indeed get ancillary Peanuts literature.

I have a friend who claimed to have had a large portion of beneath his bed full of Peanuts book, which made me quite jealous and stressed out - even though I could probably afford to do the same.

I just felt like venting that.

fair enough. still annoying

I sold my Daredevil by Bendis vol 1 Omnibus last month for $400 (would not have sold for even a penny less).

Any chance of a reprint sometime this decade?

Kingdom Come is kind of like Hush in that it's good if you haven't read much DC but the more you have read the more samey and bland it feels.

I haven't read Justice but it has a pretty bad rap.

I would recommend getting New Frontier instead if you want something DC, or Marvels if you want something Ross.

Marvels is lame.

Sorry my dude gonna be tomorrow now. Fucking knackered and having an early night. Sorry! Lurk tomorrow! Cheers man

Bendis' toilet paper gets reprinted regularly, don't sweat it

These came in today. Finally got some more GG in print.

That Silver Surfer painting(?) looks dope as fuck.

Rest of this month's purchases.

Generally speaking, are omnibus' worth buying? I'm looking at a few that cover most of Claremonts Xmen run, but they're about $150 a piece.

Marvel is so terrible at reprinting things that they can legitimately be an investment in some cases, like with that user above selling his Bendis Daredevil for $400

where do you buy that they are this expensive? I thought most of the X-Men Claremont omnis are perpetually in print and thrown out for peanuts at places like instocktrades?

It's probably because I'm looking at ones so new they're still in the packaging. Admittedly I'm a comics newfag so I might not be looking in the best places.

Vol 1&2 are on ist for under 60$ usd.
instocktrades.com/search/powersearch?title=Uncanny X-men Omnibus&publisher=Marvel

Waiting on Absolute Sinestro Corp War, should be here tomorrow or the next day.
What's the quality comparison like between a DC Omni and an Absolute?

Larger

Does anyone here own the Flashpoint books? Thought about getting all of them but don't know whether they're worth it, better yet whether it's a good story overall. I think I've only seen the Flashpoint book once in a collection but not the other ones so I'm curious.

It's meh. Not worth getting all of them.

See
Also even cheaper here ,anf v3 is 100 usd.
cheapgraphicnovels.com/_search.php?page=1&q=Uncanny x-men omnibus&x=53&y=23
I'd say yes they're worth it in this case.

so just the main book then? only watched the movie beforehand so I don't really know anything about the books. I'm kinda intrigued by the superman story but I don't think it's the same as in the movie

eh.... if you're a huge Flash fan I guess, but i highly doubt it can be read alone with no other knowledge without missing tons of shit.

Welp, nothing wrong with hoarding for that. That's the Fantagraphics, Seth-designed series of books, right? A friend has like 10/12ths of them. I love that early stuff where Schulz was inking with a brush and the character designs were still developing. That's just the purest of the pure cartooning.

that was actually one of the reasons I was asking. I have been out of the loop for years so I'm kinda in a weird position

>if you're a huge Flash fan
Or if you have a hard on for alternate universes.

Omnis collect a lot of stuff and are usually at 600 pages upwards, they are around 1.5 inches larger than regular TPBs or HCs. Absolutes are more of a showcase for a smaller run or mini series by a certain writer & artist team, they are several inches larger than TPBs but usually not very thick. lots of bonus material and always in a slipcase.
pic related for size comparison. Final Crisis is a regular HC, Adam Strange Omnibus, Infinite Crisis is an Absolute Edition.

what are the best alternative universe books one can get where you need no backstory whatsoever? standalones etc included

oh and forgot to mention, Absolute edition bindings are exquisite, you won't find comics that are better bound. Omnis may be a bit lacking, especially since DC uses such thick paper for them. My 2nd GL by Geoff Johns omni broke apart from its own weight, vol 1 and 3 are all right, but if there's just a single flaw in the binding it comes apart due to the weight.

Elseworlds Finest, Superman: Red Son, Superman: Kal

>bought the Foes trades
>they actually release a HC

Fucking kill me.

>Superman: Kal

actually never heard of this one before. kinda reminds me of Marvel: 1602
are there more DC books like that?

I think it's an omnibus
I heard that Lieber thanked Sup Forums in it, do you have a picture of the slipcover?

Gotham by Gaslight (and the sequel) and The Doom that Came to Gotham (Mignola) might be up your alley

Finally organized my shelf after moving. Lots of books got damaged, but oh well. Most of them weren't mint from lending and reading.

Suggestion are always welcomed. Looking for a good "Loveable team of friends" story. Bone, Foes of Spider-man, Agents of HATE, Ghostbusters, anything like that.

Ultimates by Millar,etc (stop after the first volume)
Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis (*burp vomits slightly*)
Ultimate X-Men
Superman Red Son
TDKR
Nextwave (not really an alt universe but self contained and really fun, no continuity involved)
The Earth-One series from DC, although it gets mixed reviews overall.

I dunno thats just me spitballing, trying to differentiate between "alternate universe" and just a "non-canon" story is a bit blurry... but all those things listed can be read without any kind of back knowledge whatsoever.

Man, I really wish someone would t least scanlate some more Imri Sakabashira. I liked his short story in AX better than Box Man.

The fucking Box Man. What a comic. Is that I'm Not Here by GG or something? That's a wild guess. I love my micro-press shit but I'm kind of at a loss without googling desu. Anyway all the rest of that shit looks dope as fuck.
I just noticed What Things Do are taking pre-orders for a Crickets bundle, issues 3 to 6, I assume 3 and 4 (maybe 5?) will be reprints (well, I'm sure #3 will be a reprint seeing as firsts are going for silly money) but for TWENTY-FIVE FUCKING dollars, hm, I think that's reasonable, second printings or not. You watch, even seconds'll be going for stupid cash soon.
Kind of jealous, I coveted that Monster anthology quite a bit but it as a lean coupla months so I ended up buying things I "needed" more. I know it has new (well, old, now) Fort Thunder stuff in it, was it worth it? I don't think that Deforge strip has been reprinted from it. Nice fucking find.
And Mowgli's Mirror is one of the most beautiful comics I've ever read. Retrofit are busting out so much fucking great stuff. I'm Normiebook friends with Josh Bayer but never dug his comics too much, I have a couple of issues of Suspect Device but I must say his stuff is starting to grow on me. Pettibon by way of Panter. Or Panter by way of Pettibon, I dunno. And I didn't realise Soft City was that big. Doesn't look like my cup of tea going from the reviews I've seen but I have a few of those NYRC releases, fucking impeccable. I think Pretending Is Lying is the last one I got. Anyway you have a cool little stash of micro/small press stuff there, respect
>never read a Fantagraphics hardcover (and noticed binding quality)-the post.
I just have one huge pfffffrrrrrbbbbb to your statement, "exquisite" my pinky-beige arsehole. I own plenty h/c comics that are better bound than those mass-produced pieces of mere adequacy.
Fully endorse bottom three shelves. And Arsene Schwauren, of course.

Anyone read Zegas? Any thoughts? Please refrain from generic "it's good" like replies. I've only read Copra by Fiffe so I'm unsure of his range and don't know what to expect with this but I dig his art a lot.

....but I can't get my head around fucking Rav and Blacksad being part of the same collection. The "Blacksad is amazing" meme needs to stop, now. It's competent yet cliched anthroshit BD whose artist draws every fabric with the same folds, weight and drape, for one thing. I remember tracking down the first English volume after Tim Sale voluminously promoted it in an old print TCJ, fuck me I was disappoint. Rav is unequivocally the more interesting comic.

Are the Vagabond Omnibuses of archival quality?
Or the paper yellows over time?

and literally no one was talking about Fantagraphics, only about DC. you did it again, you quoted a post and completely changed the subject to something else.

I read it when it was serialised on act-i-vate, the old webcomic collective. Any other Anons read act-i-vate? God, they were patchy as fuck. John Kerschbaum to Ulysses Farinas to Roger Langridge to some eminently forgettable caroonists...and Zegas just was not very good. If you're a Fiffe completist then you'll want it, otherwise give it the boot. I may be biased though, I've never found Fiffe to be the most compelling cartoonist. Very interesting art style but his writing always fell short. But, again, Fiffe completists will snap that shit up. At least it's not that awful "experimental" strip of his that act-i-vate ran which I've forgotten the name of. Man, that shouldn't have been publishe on such a large forum.

"Most exquisite binding ever"?! Sorry, were we differentiating by mainstream and small press stuff, I didn't realise. In that case, yes, DC make THE most AMAZING BINDING in the history of comics publishing EVAARRR

Then I guess I'm buying it, not because I'm a Fiffe completist but since you think it sucked then it sounds worth it.

I actually have the digital versions of Ultimates, USM and UX-Men. Also, they would be too expensive overall due to prices in Germany being off the goddamn charts (even for US books)

uh oh, 50 paragraphs answer incoming

>mfw I can't put books in shelves because house geckos will take a crap on them each time I put a new one.
Life is suffering.