It's been 13 years

It's been 13 years.

How do you feel about it now?

Will this ever be storytimed or is it a novel? If so, any download links?

Don't know what to think about a storyarc based on rape.

I still don't like it. I get what he was going for, but I don't think he did a good job.

I've never actually read this, but I heard it was supposed to be the DC equivalent of Avengers: Disassembled.

Yup, because it was the first series that large news outlets followed, and reported on, and it set up DC's age of events.

It wouldn't have been quite as bad if it wasn't fucking doctor light.

This
Comic
Sucks

Unpopular Sup Forums opinion here, but I actually like Identity Crisis. yeah it has some moments that are bullshit like but in general I think it's an interesting plot with a well written script, it's a good fuckin comic dammit. I definitely won't say it's amazing or anything, but aside from a couple of little moments it doesn't really have anything bad in it either. Maybe I liked it because I'm not familiar with either Dr. Light nor the Dibny's, but I really don't think that would've made much difference.

fpbp

Sasuga Krauser-san.

It's still shit.

It has some good moments and the status quo it helped to launch was interesting (also it was reversed after Infinite Crisis), but it's a terrible story itself that destroys characterizations and makes no sense as a mystery -pic related

>I still don't like it. I get what he was going for, but I don't think he did a good job.
More or less this

I really hate how this is the biggest gateway comic in the entire industry. I guess rape, murder, and superheroes acting like idiotic and awful people is what people like really want these days...

As a "mystery" it fails on nearly every level and hinges upon people like Batman and Superman being complete and utter retards, I mean why did nobody follow up on the Jean line, considering Sue was on the phone with her when she died? I mean if you actually put any kind of thought into it, the entire fucking thing just falls apart. The characterization is also shockingly awful, are you really telling me Flash would EVER be okay with mindraping someone like that? Even Batman? Dinah, too? Also the line where Ollie knows that Superman can't hear them talking about the mindrape because Superman "only hears what he wants to hear"? Come ON...

Also Jean Loring's motivation was one of the dumbest things I've ever read, bar none. It didn't make any kind of sense. She wanted to get back with Ray, so she just murders Sue? And then starts murdering others? And is able to fool the likes of Batman and the rest of the Justice League while doing it? Yeah right.

Not to mention just stupid shit like Jean having a flamethrower on hand for some reason, Firestorm dying randomly and nobody caring, JL getting solo'd by Deathstroke as he literally just stands still...christ what a dumb fucking comic book. It literally just uses the rape and murder of Sue Dibny as a motivation for superheroes acting as idiotically and terribly as possible. I mean Sue is literally only in the story for a few pages, we don't see even see how she's affected by the rape... it just shows Ralph crying and others angsting. It was so fucking pointless, and it's all the character will ever be known for now, which sucks. It literally drug down the entire DC universe with it. It's probably the most adversely affecting comic book EVER created within the context of DC.

I would go on, but char limit..

It was a good comic right under they solved the mystery, and the solution didn't fit the clues given at the beginning.

Thirteen years won't result in shitty plot makibg sense.

I will just say this - evidence removing flamethrower that can fool mother box. Anything with such bullshit and unexplained plot device can't be called "good".

I like how Marvel's answer to this was to do a Usual Suspects rip off.

This was arguably the comic that started DC's modern event rubbish where something is done every few months for casual readers to buy.

It's the reason they had to do Flashpoint. Just an awful effect on the DCU with escalation of villain acts. I'm glad it's non-canon.

Not in the same way, though. A lot of stories and plots spun out of Identity Crisis, but it's not like literally everything is directly a result of the actions of everyone in Identity Crisis.

Would the book have been worse or slightly less worse if it turned out Ray was behind it all? What would have happened to the Atom legacy?

I love it just for all the hate it created. Also the "Here is Dr Rape" memes.

>had to do
The universe had been completely reset twice by the time Flashpoint happened. Batman was trusting his friends and family so much that he was franchising his identity, Sue and Ralph we're back to solving mysteries in the afterlife, the JLA had been reformed a couple of times, Capt. Boomerang Jr. had a complete character arc, The Atom and his wife's arcs were done, and the superhero community was pretty tight.

Flashpoint was obviously just a Flash story originally until DC used it to market a pointless reboot at the last minute.

Identity Crisis would have been better if there HADN'T been a culprit. It was just a terrible accident due to a gas leak, but the super heroes are SO committed to the idea that SOMEONE did it that they all unravel; showing just how insecure they all are and the horrible shit they've done behind the scenes.

Hell, even making it to where Dr. Light just beats Sue to near death, just to show that the JL's families weren't safe even in their own clubhouse would have been better.

>because it was the first series that large news outlets followed
please...

Why is this such an issue? The rogues fight flash consistently without super speed themselves and there really doesn't seem to be an issue with that. Take captain cold for instance. If he can fight the flash, and you see no issue with that, I don't see a problem with the page you posted.

wasn't Final Crisis originally a reboot but DC got cold feet?

No, even Flashpoint wasn't supposed to be full reboot.

Final Crisis AND Infinite Crisis were suppose to be reboots.

Flashpoint changed from being a simple Flash story arc to a reboot because DC editorial was getting nervous about the MCU picking up steam while the only superhero DC had been pushing for the last decade was Batman.

Captain cold is designed to fight the flash with a weapon that slows the flash down.
All of the Flash's rogues are designed to fight the flash.

I remember the article in wizard, Dan Didio and the others constantly said "we have to get dark, we have to get edge to compete". Identity Crisis is easily the turning point to so many problems. That, and its a shitty mystery story.

It's the Flash willfully impaling himself.

>Why is this such an issue?
It really isn't. People just give it too much shit because the science is all wrong but who cares? Deathstroke's super power has always been being a walking plot device.

Slade has been fighting Wally since day one too, so whatever.

The only thing that really bothers me about Identity Crisis is Sue's horrific rape and death.

>senpai

Because the Rogues are his regular villains and have gimmicks literally based around being able to fight the Flash. Deathstroke is literally just suppose to be a mercenary that gets taken out by teenagers more often than the big superheroes.

This page is basically like if Mirror Master knocked out Superman by putting up a mirror fast enough to have Superman punch himself or is Cheetah beat Green Lantern because she showed him her bare breasts and that turned all of his constructs into soft boobs, but treated 100% seriously.

aka The Panel when Deathstroke became Boba Fett.

Good post

He did a terrible job.

>or is Cheetah beat Green Lantern because she showed him her bare breasts and that turned all of his constructs into soft boobs
To be fair if it was Hal I could totally see that happening

It's so fucking stupid. It's garbage and it gets worse the more you're familiar with DC.

It still wouldn't have made sense, probably would be more controversial despite playing out like a regular forced turning to the dark side story with a typical redemption arc always possible.
It's funny how Jean Loring became eclipso like now she has to be a supervillain.

Also, one thing Identity Crisis is guilty of is making the trinity into a bunch of assholes towards each other for months on end culminating on Infinite Crisis.

Particularly Batman. He turned into a sour grouch whining about MUH MEMORIES for months. I laughed my ass off when Carter basically told him (in one JLA issue i think it was) to "grow the fuck up" basically.

And it isn't JUST him stabbing Wally. Deathstroke takes out everybody in that scene just as absurdly. If it were just a "Flash runs into/trips over something" scene" I could live with it. But Slade just solos a whole crowd of guys who should squash him like a bug and he does it so ridiculously.

You're right, Identity Crisis is just so fundamentally at odds with the rest of DC that it it becomes a Plot hole for all of DC.

As a story on it's own it's ok. But considering the effects on the DC universe as a whole not so good. Kind of reminds me of Secret Empire with it's unnecessary deconstruction and overall miserable tone.

>As a story on it's own it's ok.
I wouldn't even go that far.

what.

Apparently, the ambiance of Slade's willpower stops GL rings from working.

Don't forget that he's literally able to see The Atom when he's at a sub-atomic size capable to being pushed back by the mere thermal energy of a laser pointer's beam.

They are in a sense, but you can easily apply being a super tactician to being able to fight someone with super speed. Its exactly what the text one the page says he's doing, only giving wally one way to go.

It's fucking slapstick.

and it wasn't the last time a hack used him to fight an Atom

And let's not forget this one.

I like the Slade fight scene in Identity Crisis.

Wait, how did he take out Plas? That must have been MAXIMUM bullshit

Literally heard the "bonk" sound effect from The Flintstones.

>protons and electrons
>lasers are just photons
>which have no mass at all

Ralph, not Plas. Still kinda BS. Considering Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, Atom, Zatanna, Green Lantern, and the Flash are there too and Deathstroke mops the floor with them.

The explosion in knocked him out so the writer wouldn't have to figure out some bullshit way for Deathstroke to beat him in a real fight.

>""""Heroes"""" literally lobotomised one of their own just to cover their dirty tracks

>The Slade fight

>The fucking retarded as fuck ending to the so called mystery

>Appearantly the most monumental and shocking event that happened in this miniseries is a villain raping a civilian

What is it with americans and their borderline puritan views that rape is literally a special kindof evil that triumps over others.

Weird, was Ralph dressing as Plas on that page? Or did the artist not realize that there was a difference?

It's the outfit he wore when he was a member of the JLA. The purple and white suit is what he wore for solo work.

It looks like Plas' because DC didn't know they owned him for the longest time.

Nah. Ralph was just wearing his red suit is all.

One of those scenes I would have been okay with I guess.

But ALL of them? Why havent the villains won already? Couldnt they have drawn several other villains hiding in wait to counter the hero attack?

That might have made a more interesting fight.

>Yeah fuck Batman for being traumatised about getting backstabbed by his own teammates he thought he could trust.

I seriously wonder if the writers who wrote that garbage think rape victims need to stop being so whiny to their assaulters and should not have "asked for it".

People don't want to talk about it but it's pretty obvious it was an inside job.

While rape is scary since you dont know if the rapist will kill you after the rape, once the rape is finished and you check you dont have aids...rape is nothing worse than some guy punching the shit out of you.

Rape survivors are a joke, since rape is not supposed to kill you. And no, Im not being edgy. If you give me the choice between losing one hand or being raped Id take one rape any fucking day. If you give me the choice between my leg or rape, rape will be it assuming the rapist doesnt have any std.]

Rape is overrated. Sure its traumatic, but so is someone kicking the shit out of you on the street.

I honestly feel that that's what they originally wanted to do, but editorial made them change it to "disposable" SO characters.

Contains all the problems with mainstream comics, edgelord storytelling and shit character shilling

Reminder that part of Kyle's gimmick was that he was the only one who could control his ring.
This reminded me, with all the talk of characters getting shit on, people don't talk enough about how the comic completely fucked up Captain Boomerang.

I didn't like that they impleid that superman would go along with mindraping everyone.
Also the killer reveal was complete bullshit that didn't make sense in the story.

Have your (You) and stop posting.

As stupid then as it is now.

>The rape pages are in!

Would you prefer I cut your leg or to be raped for 15 minutes? No sdt.

Honest question. Id take rape any day.

I thought they were implying that Superman only hears what he wants to hear, i.e., he stopped listening when they brought Dr. Light down on the satellite.

So did Superman just ignore Sue getting raped then?

What do you think he uses his telescopic and X-ray vision for most of the time?

Getting a cut on my leg doesn't sound that bad. But assuming you meant getting it cut off, I'd still choose that. Legs can be replaced, the emotional trauma of rape, not so much.

I meant full leg.

And Im not sure you wont get no emotional trauma if you see someone sawing you leg off.

What about the emotional trauma of watching your leg get cut off and having your blood come out of the hole?

Well, to be fair, you didn't specify how the leg's being removed. One clean cut would suck, but not nearly as bad. If someone is sawing it off, then that's a different matter altogether.

Welp! I didn't expect to meet my soul mate today but there you are...

But the rape can also be pretty gnarly too.
Could be daterape or it could be like some BTK level of depravity.

The only thing that shits me more than the godawful story is how this piece of shit keeps making it into recommended lists as "essential" reading

>All of the Flash's rogues are designed to fight the flash.
and Slade is the designated foe of the titans.

this

>Legs can be replaced, the emotional trauma of rape, not so much.
There is no possibility of enjoying losing a leg though.

>What is it with americans and their borderline puritan views that rape is literally a special kindof evil that triumps over others.
It's not just Americans, Alan Moore is a huge fan of using rape as a plot device. I think I'm part people have just become so jaded about murder that writers try different shock tactics.

No, user, you've got it backwards - Doctor Light was the one doing the fucking.
>Why havent the villains won already?
That's a big problem with superhero comics from the past - supervillains are sooooo smart and powerful and cool that you wonder why Old Man Logan hasn't already happened. The Big Two have forgotten how to raise the stakes without making the odds ridiculously stacked for the bad guys

You can use rape is an evil act, to further the plot, without having characters who deal with mass murders on a daily base act like it's somehow a big deal.

they nedds to call my dami.

IT STINKS

Worse, it got it's stink on the rest of DC up to *at least* Final Crisis.

Ryan Choi would probably still be the Atom. It's be character assassination akin to Hal becoming Paralax except nobody cares about the Atom enough to send a bomb threat to DC's office.

Stupid stupid shit. They even went and changed who the murderer was at the last minute and had them carry a random flamethrower "just in case".

Goddamn awful. 52 Somehow managed to make fantastic lemonade out of the shitty lemons IC dealt Ralph.

Flashfags really like to pretend he's a Superman+ level god of speed and space and time, rather than a dude whov dies to bullets and regularly has trouble with a thug who throws boomerangs.

This was the most moving part because Bruce was forced to relieve the nightmare.

Ralph's story arc in 52 was so slowly built up into i think, the most satisfying character arc of the whole series and that's saying a lot.

>Why havent the villains won already?
Usually because they hate each other as much as the heroes and don't see themselves as a bloc. If Brainiac and Darkseid teamed up, or any other combination of the universes top tier villains, then they'd squash the League like bugs seeing as how just one of them can push the heroes of Earth to the limit and consistently almost win. They never would though, because they would kill each other as soon as they would kill Superman.

There are exceptions, but usually only for very weak villains so as not to unbalance things. Like the Flash's rogues (who don't include any of his heavy hitters for a reason).