Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D8M8I2SYEiA
youtube.com/watch?v=5yjh2BnTTBs
youtube.com/watch?v=UQXAgbcc6-c&feature=youtu.be&t=5m4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I liked it.

i liked it before it came to netflix

Do the paizuri!

I still don't get folk's gripe with this show, Captain Lou Albano was a great Mario

It's more of a random movie parody show with Mario characters

>This is what Mario meant when he called kids paisanos

It's OK, but it's not as good as the adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog as far as animation to watch High goes.

I think the Mario 3 series did a better job of adapting a Mario game to a cartoon.

This show was much more random with the show and movie parodies

I miss TRMario.

youtube.com/watch?v=D8M8I2SYEiA

They went to the "real world" too damn often in Mario 3 though. Guess DIC thought the Mushroom Kingdom was really uninteresting.

However, I'll excuse the Milli Vanilli episode, because it's pure gold. "We can't perform without our band". Riiiight.

What if they unmerge but come out backwards, with user as a latias tulpa and latias as the new host

Whenever I read Mario and Luigi with spoken dialogue I always hear it in Lou Albano and Danny Wells' voices

>the controversy hits
>DiC scrambles to remove the songs in reruns
>show reairs
>Milli Vanilli goes to sing
>no lyrics come out

I forget, was it that they just lip-synced during their concerts, or could they not sing at all?

Who really died that day?

I think they lip synced everything

Wasn't their voices coming out of the speakers. One of them tried to have an actual singing career, I think.

Either way, they were so cheap with the DVD release of this show, they just replaced it with a generic instrumental track, so they were lip-synching to nothing.

Kept me entertained as a drooling 6 year old but it definitely didn't age well.
I hate when the shows deviate completely from the cartoon but I'm not sure they could've done so much with the source material without going to the old west and to rome and all that shit

Super Mario Bros. 3 stuck closer to the game, at least it went to locations in the game, and Super Mario World saw a dip in animation and quality in my opinion.

Also I might be alone in this but my favorite was the Legend Of Zelda cartoon. Other than Link being a dumb 90's stereotype kid I really enjoyed it. EXCUUUUUUUUSE me for liking it!

I also enjoyed Captain N

Captain N is decent, it's only slighted by people who have 30 years of lore attached to these franchises now.

I honestly didn't mind Megaman being a manlet with a weird old man voice, I was just happy to see him in some kind of animated form.

But even at my tender young age I was outraged with what they did to Simon Belmont, he was my fucking hero and they made him look like a gay caricature

Being a pompous self absorbed douche who is in love with yourself more than any other person doesn't make a person gay, user.

gay as in it sucked not gay as in the caricature was homosexual

You're forgiven.

God, I hated how they always called it the "real world", as if they had to remind kids every episode that THE MUSHROOM KINGDOM IS IMAGINARY DUHUHHH.

I didn't notice it as a kid but it ruined it for me when I tried to watch it again as an adult.

I honestly didn't mind any of the other characters. Kid Icarus was annoying but harmless. Megaman was a raspy voice manlet but I don't see where his super-strength came from I always assumed he just shot things. Eggplant Wizard and King Hippo were great comic relief but I don't understand why King Hippo was Zombified Blue. Mother Brain was a decent villain and her voice actor really relished the role and had fun with it.
Kevin and the princess didn't have any gaming precedent so I guess they were ok as hero characters.
Simon is the only one that bugs me, they totally did a 360 with him and there isn't a single character they could have fucked up worse. In the games he's just a badass who devotes his life to hunting dracula, and I guess that isn't much of a character you can do a lot with but if they were going to turn him into a self absorbed douche I wish they could have done it to almost any other videogame character.

The Legend of Zelda has aged very well, I'd say. All the Mario cartoons are kind of eh now (save for a few SMB3 and SMW episodes) and Captain N is borderline unwatchable (and I fucking worshiped that show as a kid ;( ).

>Captain N is decent, it's only slighted by people who have 30 years of lore attached to these franchises now.
It's not even that. Season 1 of Captain N was written by someone who self-admittedly had zero experience playing the games involved, which resulted in retarded shit like Kevin talking about the "warp zone" in "Metroid" and knowing how to "beat Donkey Kong" after fighting him so many times in the NES game.

And almost every episode has a moment where Captain N pauses the action by pressing the select button.

THE SELECT BUTTON.

You didn't even have to be a video game nerd to realize just how stupidly inaccurate the show was.

Yeah it was a bunch of suits sitting in a conference room brainstorming ideas for toys and merchandise and it's hilarious how fucked up they got some things but hey I was a drooling 6 year old and I gobbled up anything involving Nintendo so...

Funny enough, I looked through the Castlevania manual to see if what they had to work with.

From the first game: nothing. In fact, Simon isn't even named in the manual. But the second gave us minor descriptor - standard hero stuff. But it's also the manual that started dropping in all those infamous Castlevania bad puns that might give the impression the series is sillier than it is. But at the same time, I don't personally hate what happened to Simon for one particular reason: I grew up watching both Captain N and Power Team... and Power Team showed what happens when you don't tweak your characters to be a little more unique-- they're totally boring. Kuros is what Simon might have been if he was "more accurate". He's also blander than bland, and blurs in with "yet another does the right thing" hero. The N Team might barely pass the source material squint test, but they at least stick in your memory and provide more entertainment value than the Power Team ever did.

Select is Pause in Zelda 1.

And who came BACK?

Oh yeah, me too. It was the highlight of my week whenever I'd catch it on TV. But knowing more about the games being referenced, I just can't enjoy it like I used to, like I still do other shows of that period like DuckTales and Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers.

Yeah that's why I said that they probably did it to give him some kind of character but if they were going to do that I wish they did it to Arthur or a battletoad or some other character and just brought Simon in for special episodes.

what

Ah, you're right. I always pause with the inventory menu instead, so I tend to forget you can pause normally too.

Funny how Chip & Dale and Ducktales were the exact opposite; Cartoons that great videogames were made out of
Darkwing duck was my favorite, both the game and the cartoon.

My favorite part was definitely the live action scenes. I didn't even recall they had Elvira show up a couple times. Always wondered which character of th games the alligator was supposed to be, back then.

>Also I might be alone in this but my favorite was the Legend Of Zelda cartoon.
I never really played any Zelda games, but I frickin' LOVED the cartoon.

I hadn't played any Castlevanias back then, but I thought that version of Simon was fun. The pulp adventurer look for a vampire hunter was a pretty novel idea too.

>I never really played any Zelda games, but I frickin' LOVED the cartoon.

I don't see why so many people had so many problems with Link.
He's 16 and he's a horny kid, when I was 16 I was the same way and I can imagine how I'd be if I lived with Zelda, who is particularly blazing hot in this iteration.
Despite his bumbling horniness Link manages to be a more than capable hero (notice how easily he destroys the Moblins that attack the castle in the first episode, makes it look easy!), he always ends up stopping Ganon and I love how Zelda isn't just some pretty princess to be saved and sometimes gets in on the action too.
I kind of wish Ganon was more of a threat and more intimidating (specially since, in the instruction book for the original game it stated that nobody who had ever seen him lived to tell about it!) but other than that the show was really good.

Hell yea.

I'd still love to have that belt

People dislike Cartoon Link? I knoiw plnty mockj him but i always saw it in good fun.

3>Super Show>World
I literally can't replay 3 without thinking of the cartoon, dunno if that's good or bad. Might have to do with it being the only one to show footage from the games (on the title cards).

I actually prefer the Lou Albano voice over the mickey mouse annoying voice he now has

Also they retconned the shit out of his story. I LOVED the cartoon story where they were regular plumbers that got sucked down the drain while working a job and ended up turning super by eating mushrooms from the mushroom kingdom.

At some point in the 90's I think Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island all of a sudden Mario and Luigi were born in the mushroom kingdom and carried to a mushroom house.. by... storks?? What the fuck.

>Zelda, who is particularly blazing hot in this iteration.

Some of my first boners were to those white pants and cameltoe

YUM

The artists just decided to draw her incredibly hot

And don't get me started on Sprite, you know, Navi before Navi was Link's fairy friend, flying around with her short little skirt, always horny for Link's dick

I mean the show was surprisingly sexualized

Awww yeah those animators knew what they were doing

B O B C U T
O
B
C
U
T

>5th frame
unf

>always horny for Link's dick

>Link: "But you're only 4 inches tall!"
>Sprite: "What? You don't like short girls?"
How she'd fit the dick is anyone's guess but still hot as fuck. She definitely wanted to try to fit it

That's a long pixie cut. She's literally a pixie

Holy shit...

It wasn't very good. Not through any fault of Captain Lou and Danny Wells though. In fact Ill give em those segments where alright in fact. Rather alright indeed.

the cartoons where ass though

hmm. Would you look at that.

I guess Dr. Malcolm was right. Life does find a way.

youtube.com/watch?v=5yjh2BnTTBs

>I don't see why so many people had so many problems with Link.

He was a douche? And yeah I get it, teenagers are horny but that doesn't mean you have to turn an fantasy adventure fairy tale into a "lets get laid" comedy. I know the plot was bare bones but I really don't think that's what people envisioned when they where questing through.
Hyrule on their NES.

Im not saying you can't have any fun with it but I think we can do better than what we got

What we got was good for what we had at the time and DIC wasn't out to write shakespeare, same for the Super Mario Bros. cartoon.

The comic you show was done during Link To The Past when Nintendo gave a little more to work with.

When the Zelda Cartoon came out all you had to work with was the limited info from the first game's manual and the game with the character running around a vast kingdom with no instruction of where to go and what to do.

And Link was not a douche, he was confident and actually pretty competent and powerful at destroying his enemies and defending Zelda. They weren't afraid to show a little tension between Link and Zelda and yes his horniness was a little overdone but that was the last time a relationship was hinted until at least Skyward Sword (LTTP, OOT, TP, and all the games in between he was more hinted as a close friend or savior of the kingdom) where they were finally brave enough to hint that maybe Link isn't just a faceless hero that comes to save the kingdom, maybe he and Zelda can have a romance going too.

It has its faults but for what it is it was great and when my son is old enough I'll let him play the games and watch the show.

Aw, the poor guy just wanted a kiss.

Sup Dobson?

>What we got was good for what we had at the time

No it wasn't.

>and DIC wasn't out to write shakespeare, same for the Super Mario Bros. cartoon.

That's not an excuse for general slip shod writing and shitty characterization and plots. Why do you faggots always use this lame lazy excuse for an argument when someone points out how shit something was.

Hell Id argue that the game being so limited just makes what they came up with even worse. They had freedom to create whatever they wanted and they chose to do this? That's bullshit.

Get out Andrew Dobson!
(Aka Tom Preston)

Doing the Mario is just walking.

>That episode where King Koopa started a war between two kingdoms just so he could profit off of selling them troops and weapons.

Why is cartoon Bowser more sinister than vidya Bowser?

:3c

Vidya Bowser was created by japs, cartoon Bowser had u.s. politicians to take inspiration from.

Imagine a King Koopa inspired by Trump.

back to tumblr with ya

>The heart of Dracula
What? That doesnt look like one. That looks more like the stomach or liver.

Figured he's already a bit alike.

>I think the Mario 3 series did a better job of adapting a Mario game to a cartoon.
Doesn't make it the better show, though. The writers of the first show correctly realized that trying to make a cartoon out of the uber-simple premise of a game would get stale pretty quick.

Yeah, it made their story more interesting. I like the idea of a simple plumber taking on the role of hero in another world. I also liked the way that Luigi was the functional one in Brooklyn and seemed to be in charge of everything, while Mario was a bit scatterbrained and reluctant, while in the Mushroom Kingdom it's the opposite.

Sadly, saying that you like anything about the old DiC Nintendo cartoons immediately incriminates you as being Dobson.

I think part of Link's character in that show was that he had already saved Hyrule, but he felt unappreciated, and the princess essentially still treated him as an errand boy. I'd probably be obnoxious, too.

>it's a movie parody episode
or
>it's a novel parody episode

That's the entire fucking series.

>The writers of the first show correctly realized that trying to make a cartoon out of the uber-simple premise of a game would get stale pretty quick.
Yeah, the DiC cartoon is great if you don't actually want a Mario story. Makes perfect sense. And I disagree that actual Mario stories would get old, what got old quick was: Not exactly thrilling plots. ven as an easily amused child this routine of unfunny parodies bored me. Mario in Robin Hood, Mario in Arthurian legend, Mario in Star Trek, etc.

Name one better cartoon fuck-up than this one

youtube.com/watch?v=UQXAgbcc6-c&feature=youtu.be&t=5m4s

For some reason I always wanted to eat one of these when I was a kid. I started eating egg salad sandwhiches because of it.

It worked. Gave them a lot to mess with, and I really enjoyed all the different themes and archetypes the episodes played with. They can be pretty weak at times, depending who wrote them, but a lot of the episodes are solid enough. The voice cast was great, so that makes most of it work.

I'd rather watch those than Mario 3 or Mario World episodes, though. I'm not saying you couldn't make a good cartoon out of a Mario series. I'm saying that on the budget and talent level the shows had to work with, it was better for them to stick to parodies and cliches than to try and do their own world building. It was fun enough for me as a kid. Mario had already attained a sort of Mickey Mouse-like status and adaptability, so just plunking him into roles like Robin Hood, or secret agent or cowboy was pretty fun.

>if you don't actually want a Mario story
I think, over the years, Mario has worn such a large variety of hats that a "Mario story" is really any story that has Mario in it. It doesn't have to be just like the games, and in 1989, that would be pretty damn monotonous.

You'll have to be more specific.

Also, I loved that episode. "The Tree That Grows in Brooklyn" was funny as a kid, and also now that I get the reference that was being made.

>Mario World
What was with the cavemen? Just use Toads or Yoshis if you want a populace that Mario and friends needs to protect. I couldn't stand this show at all because of the retarded cavemen.

I think it's Luigi suddenly talking as Mario.

Wasn't the fat guy a wrestler who attacked some kid?

Oh. That happens a lot. In a lot of old cartoons. That user must be underage.

Because user, Super Mario World took place in DINOSAUR LAND. Get it?

well excuuuuuse him, princess

King Trump constantly kidnapping Princess Hillary while Bernie and Jeb has to rescue her

Also there was that episode in Season 3 where they actually show the Poltergeist King, a character that is only mentioned in the manual for Castlevania 3 as the guy who gave Trevor his axe and whip. That's something.

>rib
>Nail
>Hearth

Someone needs biology classes

Oh oh oh I didn't know we had fucking vampire anatomy experts in the fucking thread

>her

um, you mean, mother brain is a he?