Animated Horror

Is it possible to make an actually scary animated movie/series for teens and adults?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bpTn-eH4omM
youtube.com/watch?v=-fDzdDfviLI
youtube.com/watch?v=vV7PfFgPscE
youtu.be/j9U4JqO5hxo
youtu.be/xZtOnznW3GI
youtube.com/watch?v=InW-SyPYfcM
youtube.com/watch?v=zDllb7oCj4g
youtube.com/watch?v=yP7P03QWiXo
youtube.com/watch?v=XcVc-hMniUE
youtube.com/watch?v=OnOWE47ew4I
youtube.com/watch?v=xPO106yW7lU
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1orKoppoQSu5Pd1ydvRz7tF1dWc2vsqZ
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTZP7rrAaeRDGAO9mhT8hnUlIVVnOxxrE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Duh? Why wouldn't it be?

no. well it can work but it will have to be done very well and as a psychological horror or something but gore horror wont work.
pic related had so much potential for an amazing horror show but it was for CN so they had to go easy on the kids. still it was really good.

Yes, you just need to understand the basics of horror and for that you need to know what the human mind is naturally repulsed by.

I don't think so. Horror has to be "believed" to be unsettling, and that's very difficult if not impossible to accomplish with animated characters in an animated world.

Yes
youtu.be/bpTn-eH4omM
>inb4 b-but puppets aren't Sup Forums

Video games manage just fine despite this.

I dont think this is scary but I think it's so weird that somebody would make this. Like why would anyone make such an edgefest? Cringe. I blame that hug me I'm scared rubbish

If that's true how come the only good kind of horror is surreal, i.e. the least "believable"?

OTGW was aiming more for folktales than horror, and they hit the nail on the head.

That said i'd love to see something like an animated Twilight Zone or an anthology of supernatural stories on Adult Swim.

I recall there being one pilot for MTV that was going for something like that but it didn't get greenlit. I forgot what it was called though...

Going Sup Forums here but I've found Junji Ito's stuff genuinely unnerving and that' pretty far from realism.

oh of course, you just have to go about it in a different way.

points out one big problem with animated horror, and while this rule is not true in video games, that's due to the fact that video games also employ immersion and your own choices.

Best thing to do? Make characters that the viewer really cares about, and put them in obscene danger or terrifying situations, but they can't always escape unscathed, or even escape at all.

Surrealism is also a good way to invoke repulsion.

>Disturbed: The Animated Series

I know Uzumaki got a live-action adaptation, but has any of his stuff ever been animated?

you're talking about the cartoon pilot with the dark haired girl and that spider thing? Girl's name as Ebola, Pan mentioned it in a video, I'll grab an image for you.

I really don't understand why people think video games horror is good. It's some of the worst and most amateurish I have ever seen next to slasher flicks.
>b-but immersion
Immersion doesn't mean dick when all you have in your arsenal is generic dark empty corridors, ridiculously stupid-looking monsters and jumpscares. When the games try to go for more psychological shit it ends up being juvenile.

They've pulled it off in japan.

i understand your point, and i even agree, to a certain extent. Funny thing is, the most scary game I've played wasn't even a horror.

It was Subnautica. The game fucking terrifies me, but that's due to my own fears, thalassaphobia i believe? My point is that it wouldn't have been scary if I wasn't controlling the character. THAT is what i mean by immersion. The fact that the next choice you make could lead to something frightening or negative is what made horror games so successful. Even if that game is shallow and every model looks like a fucking potato.

Watch other videos from the channel, it's a fuckhuge edgefest

they make up for it with realistic graphics and most of all with the fact that you're actually playing the character, meaning his decisions are your decisions, meaning immersion that a horror film could never achieve

Did anyone find moments in the segments in this scary? I watch too many horror movies so I think I may be desensitized and not a good judge.

Same goes for this one. They're both decent horror anthology movies (despite some of the cgi in a few segments kinda sucks) and I'd recommend giving them a watch, but I dunno if I wanna call them "actually scary."

No, animation is an inherently childish medium. Even nipshit that most people will cite as "adult" and "mature" comes off, at best, as juvenile.

youtube.com/watch?v=-fDzdDfviLI

yes that one! Thanks for reminding me!

Depends on what element is actually scary.

youtube.com/watch?v=vV7PfFgPscE

my bad for not putting it in the text, but the name is deadtime stories.

I think it can work if it's done well. The problem, at least for me, is that too many supposedly "Scary" rely way too damn much on jumpscares, unlikable protagonists, and gore.

For me, the best kind of horror is all about atmosphere, uncertainty, and the feeling that something isn't quite right. I think where animation can shine is if it takes full advantage of the Uncanny Valley effect.

>realistic graphics
Animated doesn't mean cartoony. If you can get something to render at 30+frames per second on a consumer-grade PC, you can do much more advanced shit with pre-rendered 3D animation.

>greater immersion
Vidya has its own issues with horror, like having to give the player a fighting chance, the limits of the gameplay engine making it easy to predict when scary stuff is gonna happen, death and reloading completely fucking up the tension, etc.

>uzumaki got a live action adaptation
pleasegodno.jpg

it can be done, but the writers would have to shy away from convention to pull it off. You know those supernatural facebook horror movies? Not doing that, or at the very least not doing it with a supernatural bent, is an excellent start.

Art and tone are important too. Junji stuff captures it pretty well you would have to go easy mode black and white to pull off things. Story wise it's got to be something unsettling to imagine.

LOOK AT IT
youtu.be/j9U4JqO5hxo

Visual style is probably the most important thing for making an animated horror piece. A show Spongebob could pull off a half decent horror episode, but Regular Show and Bob's Burgers would struggle.

oh lord that looks awful

Gyo.
It sucked.
youtu.be/xZtOnznW3GI

Yeah, I googled it. Too bad. Still, there's some as-of-yet unspecified anime adaptation in the works, so there's still hope.

Remember when Junji Ito was attached to Silent Hills, and then Konami split from Kojima and blue-balled everyone who had hype for the game? My nuts are still a deep cerulean color

oh god, I always get mildly triggered by those two banners referencing his story about the holes
oh god not the holes please not the holes

I know this one isn't strictly horror but whatever.

youtube.com/watch?v=InW-SyPYfcM

I feel like Ito's manga doesn't work well as an anime. Ito draws things with incredible detail. And it just wouldn't look as disgusting without the detail. Like the zit scenes in Glyceride

Japan makes anything animated, it's not fair. Why can't western animation do the same?

Because it's expensive in the west.

Why is it so much more expensive in the west, though? Most of the work gets outsourced to Korea anyway. (and if the Japs can do it cheaper through Jap magic, why not just hire a Japanese company to do everything except the voices?)

The directors are in Japan, and they get paid slave wages for slave work schedule. It's funny to see.

Japan outsources their animation too. DBSuper looks like complete garbage.

The pumpkin people and their town were unsettling as fuck yet tame at the same time. I'd kill for more shit like that. You know something is up but you don't know what.

>Before We Begin, I Would Like To Know If Anyone Here Has Feelings For Me.
>...........
>OK Then..

Ito could work well I think if done with a kinda dark and grainy look to help mask the cgi and make it look more real.

ALRIGHT HOLD UP

I have a giant playlist of horror animation shit including lots of short films, cheeki breeki russian kino, underground american horrorcore, french snuffilme, and assorted and abandoned weird shit that's barely got any views, as well as not scary but in the spirit of spook stuff.

How many of you want me to organize a stream next month? cause I've got shit fuh days, man, but last year mods kept deleting the stream threads I wanted to put up so I dot know if its some kind of unwritten rule that we can't have streams.

3D animated, yes

youtube.com/watch?v=zDllb7oCj4g

I unironically like Where The Dead Go To Die as a horror movie, it's just a huge fucking nonsensical nightmare with no point or reason
That being said, horror is very subjective. There are literally only two things all humans are scared of: the despair and the unknown, and both are only scary when they actually seem like a real life perspective for someone. When you make a horror movie, you absolutely can't make it scary for everybody, or even for the majority.

Woah, what's this from?

Do it. Drop a link in the general horror threads across a few boards when you do so

yes

Games like Outlast and RE7 are great horror. But then you have games like Silent Hill that just ruin everything.

Who exactly do you expect to fall for this bait?
That being said, RE7 is not half bad,
it's jumpscares are eerie similar to some of my nightmares

Aside from /x/ and the occasional midnight Sup Forums threads, what are some good places to link?

Yes, but only in Japan. You can thank this massive faggot for crippling American comic culture for decades. Of course this has adversely affected American animation as well. There used to be a rich tradition of American horror comics which would eventually have led to animated horror if the comics code hadn't cut it all short.

No. Only children have the neurochemistry for it.

It is a little weird how seldom we discuss the fact that american comics and cartoons had their balls cut off in its infancy. I remember watching my first anime at age 14 long after I had exhausted every horror movie on the planet, and I shat my fucking pants.

To think that horror garbage is ever good? Yes. Only literal children can think like that.

Not bait. It's people like you who think jumpscares are bad and psychological horror is some refined shit who are damaging the genre.

True horror is actually scaring the audience, causing real physical effects on the body, causing the adrenal glands to secret and involuntary flinches. But then we have chumps like you who think it's about dark stories filled with sexual abuse and symbolism.

>I dislike a genre therefore it's objectively bad
wew lad

>genre fiction shitters mad
lmao

>True horror is actually scaring the audience, causing real physical effects on the body, causing the adrenal glands to secret and involuntary flinches.
If jumpscares are the only way that can be achieved, then according to your understanding, horror must be a pretty fucking boring medium.

>genre fiction shitters
What does that even mean?

>damaging the genre
You mean, improving it.

All horror comes from a sense of vulnerability. This is most easily achieved before you have time to put up your defenses.

Note that not all scares have to be a loud bang, it can also be a low note to simulate a sinking feeling in the viewer.

It's kind of the creator's thing, who is a self-described emo. At least he makes it legitimately funny.

That's like saying roller coasters are boring because they only excite their riders by going up and down real fast.

Horror games and movies and roller coasters actually have a lot in common.

Perfect Blue was pretty damn frightening to me in a way no live-action movie was.

Diluvion, after checking the trailer it looks kind of neat, not exactly horror but still neat.

Sure.

I don't know about full on horror, but Aardman's made some pretty dark/unnerving things in the past
youtube.com/watch?v=yP7P03QWiXo
youtube.com/watch?v=XcVc-hMniUE

I'm watching some Lovecraft kids movie on TV right now. It's fucking awful.

Why not. Care to list some of the more obscure horror animation you know of?

youtube.com/watch?v=OnOWE47ew4I

what's that? saiyans for ants?

youtube.com/watch?v=xPO106yW7lU

>that fucking bestiality scene

The scariest thing about Silent Hills was how easily people latched onto empty promises because of the names attached. I don't think I've ever seen people jump headfirst into disappointment that quickly.

there's too much to go over, but the first time I streamed a parcel of what I've got I think I did a good job of making a primer of good stuff

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1orKoppoQSu5Pd1ydvRz7tF1dWc2vsqZ

enjoy

Oh right I remember this.
I made my own horror animation playlist based off yours for personal use.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTZP7rrAaeRDGAO9mhT8hnUlIVVnOxxrE

If you want to steal videos from it go ahead.

ty m8, there's a couple in there I somehow missed

My god Jordan, what the hell are you making now?

I get all this experimental stuff is to get out his ''anxiety'', but can he please return to his old videos?

I said scary, not hot.

Hideo Kojima is overratted as hell but the demo was pretty decent and he had some nice talent involved. I'd rather see an end product even if it would be disappointing than just have the project unceremoniously aborted just because Konami wanted to gut their video game department and focus on pachinko machines.