Who exactly is this meant to appeal to?

How did this get greenlit and how in the hell did it get FINANCED? American cartoon enthusiast and anime fans will both reject this for being a sad imitation of the real thing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=18GiwgE5_yE
youtube.com/watch?v=6tqDEoZaeRA&t=4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's meant to appeal to normalfags that go "haha, anime is so weird".

>Who exactly is this meant to appeal to?
Black weebs.

That's honestly my best guess.

I'd watch unironically ironic if it contains his pseudo-existentialist bullshit.

How can anime be real if it's just a drawing?

Will Smith.
This is also an acceptable answer.

I'm guessing Will Smith agreed to do a netflix movie or something in exchange.

>How Can Anime Be Real If It's Just A Drawing?
fify

The 'internet blacks' i.e. people who make content like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=18GiwgE5_yE

youtube.com/watch?v=6tqDEoZaeRA&t=4s

plus any person who likes 'ironic' stuff.

When your dad is Will Fucking Smith, you can get anything greenlit and financed.

>black
>lightning powers

Why does he keep draining his bank account to prop up his talentless son? It's never going to happen. Jaden is dull and unappealing, not expressive or likeable like his father was in his prime.

But what is it?

An anime or a cartoon?

>mfw Jaden does a Nick Simmons

An expensive third-rate cartoon with cookie-cutter characters and plot made to look like anime for gullible people.

>if it contains his pseudo-existentialist bullshit.

>mfw it's on par with evangelion
>mfw it sucks just as much as evangelion

>TFW you honestly wanted more

Yeah, it was awful, but there was just something about it that made me want to keep reading.

>it's just a plagiarized Evangelion but with niggers

When You Think About It People Are Really Just Made Of Orange Drank

100% agree. Just getting a full arc would have been enough.

>but there was just something about it that made me want to keep reading.
Schandefreude?

>Black weebs.
Hey it worked for boondocks.
That and edgy teenagers.

Hey, Can't blame a man for trying.

No, I didn't even know about what happened to the guy while I was reading it, so I couldn't take pleasure in any pain but my own.

However, the feeling of schadenfreude is half the reason I've storytimed the Soinc with AIDS comic twice on Sup Forums and once on /qa/.

>Who exactly is this meant to appeal to?
Jaden Smith
>How did this get greenlit and how in the hell did it get FINANCED?
Jaden Smith (Will Smith)
>American cartoon enthusiast and anime fans will both reject this for being a sad imitation of the real thing.
I'd like to believe this, but we know there's a group of people out there who will soak up anything that looks anime-like on Netflix

Much larger demographic than you'd think

>"P-Please star in this movie written by Max Landis"
>"Only if you fund my stupid son's cartoon idea"
>"sold"

Jaden paid for it

Oh yeah, I forgot he's in a Netflix movie. Makes sense that this show was probably a rider on the contract for that crap.

Church of Scientology got some deep pockets and a lot of sway with studios

It looks like/sounds like/probably will be shit, but I can't imagine how hilarious it would be if this somehow turned out good regardless. Would Sup Forums come around? Would we have endless shitposting generals between "its shit" and "pure kino"? Would anyone even know?

>Evangelion 4.44: Y'all Niggas (Cannot) Be Serious

Impossible. Watch the trailer, its lazy and clichéd as hell, exactly what you would expect.

But what if its done all ironically and is really a deep layered satire?

I thought you all were trolling but HOLY FUCK THIS IS ACTUALLY REAL

>The series revolves around Kaz Kaan (Jaden Smith), a wealthy "magistocrat" who lives with his Aunt Agatha (Susan Sarandon) and tries to live a normal life away distanced from his demon-slaying past.
I have no words.

Must be funded by those dumbass Scientologists.

Gotta appeal to the hip young kids while their entire organization crumbles around them thanks to Leah Remini.

If it were just straight up satire like Boondocks, it might turn out to be good. But if that's what it is, the trailer is really misleading.

As a black weeb I can tell you right now I don't want to watch this shit. I'd rather look at Devilman Crybaby when that's and Mazinger Z Infinity when when subs for that come.

>lead singer of vampire weekend is working on this instead of their next album

Between this and one of their members leaving the album's going to be a fucking mess

> AH WISH
> DAT I COUL TURN BACK TIME
> BUT DAT GUILT, IT AIN' MINE
> I DINDU NUFFIN, DAT WHITE HO SHE BE LYIN'

> Y'ALL KNOW
> WE CAN' FUHGET DA PAST
> WHEN WHITES ONCE HAD DEY PRIDE
> BECAUSE OF DAT, WE RIOTIN TONIGHT

> MIKE BROWN, HE DINDU NUFFIN
> DAT'S WHY WE'RE BURNING THE TOWN,
> BURNING THE TOWN
> BURNING THE TOWN

AWWW SHIIIEEEEET

>Hey it worked for boondocks.
the boondocks looked good

Insane black people make good cartoons, just look at mike tyson mysteries

Jaden isn't insane.
He's boring.

Mike only voice acts, he doesn't actually write the stories.

Fuck off not Sup Forums

So are we mad because it's shit or made because it has black people?

Nice little toblerone ad in there. Looks dope senpai

>because it's shit

Which seems to also be the case with Neo Yokio.

We're made that it has black people obviously

this

It's invented by an American and animated by asians just like everything else on Sup Forums

>not Sup Forums

>literally an American cartoon

You think Jaden is writing this shit?

If there were a God he would be.

>Jaden's self insert is also wealthy

When will you ever be able to finance your own shitty anime series just so you can self insert as a pink haired fag? He's even got other people animating it for him.

Look at it, read the description. It's got rich black teenager with Will Smith as his dad written all over it.

I mean some of the lines sound like stuff Jaden would write.

I saw it while finding something to watch on Netflix and did not find it interesting enough to stop and read the summary.

>Every episode begins with one of his tweets.

>created and written by someone with no writing credits, just composing
>produced by a guy who will produce absolutely anything on the cheap to get a net profit when one lands

Part of the reason why Mike Tyson mysteries is funny is because as Pigeon once said 'You know, this guy is Mike Tyson, he could kill us all if he wanted to'

His life story is nuts and that is part of the humor, Jayden is a boring shit.

I thought I read that this was supposed to be a parody. That's how Kotaku reported it, anyway.

just watched the trailer and it looks 100% unironic

Half the fun of MTM is that you sometimes forget that's really Heavyweight Champion of The World Mike Tyson, and the show needs to remind you.

The Smiths don't know what the word parody means. And I'm not saying that because they're black.

>Kotaku
user, why do you trust them? Even Dorkly is a better source.

I just found the press release:

>From creator, writer and executive producer Ezra Koenig (Vampire Weekend), writer/executive producer Nick Weidenfeld and his Friends Night banner, Neo Yokio is a new animated series starring the voice talents of Jaden Smith, Susan Sarandon, Jude Law, Tavi Gevinson, Jason Schwartzman, and Desus & Mero, along with Richard Ayoade, Ike Barinholtz, Steve Buscemi, Alexa Chung, Stephen Fry, Katy Mixon, Annet Mahendru, Kiernan Shipka, Willow Smith and Amanda Stenberg. A collaboration with Japanese anime studios Production IG and Studio Deen, along with MOI, the Seoul-based animation studio, the series is a postmodern collage of homages to classic anime, English literature and modern New York fashion and culture. Storyboard artists for the series include Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Hunter x Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin) and Junji Nishimura (Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Pro Golfer Saru).

>the series is a postmodern collage of homages to classic anime, English literature and modern New York fashion and culture.

It's hard to tell what exactly they mean by post-modern. It could be a self-aware parody or it could just be a collection of homages.

>Kaz Kaan
>Kaz Kaan
>-Kaz Kaan-
This cannot be real.

>the voice talents of Jaden Smith, Susan Sarandon, Jude Law, Tavi Gevinson, Jason Schwartzman, and Desus & Mero, along with Richard Ayoade, Ike Barinholtz, Steve Buscemi, Alexa Chung, Stephen Fry, Katy Mixon, Annet Mahendru, Kiernan Shipka, Willow Smith and Amanda Stenberg
Well that's a tidy payday/favor to Will taken care of for those VAs

Still gonna be trash

idgi

I don't trust them, it's just what I saw on my Facebook feed. They actually did post the entire press release, which I posted here I think "parody" is them reading in a little too deep into what the press release says. I think tongue-in-cheek might have been more appropriate.

>It's hard to tell what exactly they mean by post-modern.

I believe it' talking about the ascetic of the show. Just look at how people dress, there is a Gundam butler, and don't even get me started on the architecture. The world this show takes place in is what would have happened if post-modernism took off, passing mainstream style, and became the norm.

>tongue-in-cheek
Kappa Mikey was tongue-in-cheek, this is full on that one white girl you knew in high school who drew comics and got mad when you didn't call her work manga.

A friend invited me into to a shitty black nerd fb group awhile back. Most opinions there towards this seem negative to lukewarm.

>postmodern collage of homages

Boondocks was a comic strip before a cartoon. Your comment allows me to conclude you were unaware of this fact.

How long until Kubo sues him?

>tfw this shit is so bad neither Sup Forums or Sup Forums want it.

And it had a very unique style of its own, not a generic anime ripoff like this shit.

I lol'd

Im excited to livewatch with other anons
Like watching a train wreck in real time

Just because it's made for them doesn't mean they'll like it.

this. I wanna do some live shitposting while watching this

>once again, Sup Forums is wrong about cartoons.

>The new RWBY

I know more ham a few black weebs personally and they tend to like classic 80's and 90's anime with masculine characters and that campy feel. If this was the demographic they're aiming at they missed the mark badly with his pink haired homo.

No, here's the thing, at least RWBY has a good amount of people who like it.

*more than a few

I really don't see how. It's an easy punching bag and has a good chance at being so bad it's good.

Sure but imdb doesn't list him as a writer.

>Images and discussion should pertain to media of Western origin.
>Animated by Japan
>Made in Anime style
Not Sup Forums. If it's animated in the east it's not western.
Falls under Sup Forums.
>All images and resulting discussion should pertain to anime or manga.

It's not for black people, it was created by a white guy. This is for white people, those who think they are cool and with it.

Hm, I don't THINK any of those VAs are Scientologists...

>of Western origin

I'm willing to bet the final version of the script has his touch in it

>Animated by Korean peasants
ftfy