Why do people hate her? Seriously I can't remember why she's supposed to be as bad as Bojack

Why do people hate her? Seriously I can't remember why she's supposed to be as bad as Bojack.

People hate her? I think she's one of the best characters on the show desu.

People don't actually hate her. People just don't like that she is kinda of a bitch to Mr. Peanut Butter because Mr. Peanut butter is adorable.

She is pretty much fem bojack at this point.

Because she's an ESS JAY DUBYA.
I only like her when she's smart and helps people.
Which doesn't happen very often.

her hair makes her neck look long

Third-wave feminism should never be tolerated.

Because a lot of people are fucking stupid and can't actually think for themselves, and because the standard use of a character like Diane is virtue signalling, they simply fill in the little Ad Lib inside their head that they use to interpret media and come to the conclusion that Diane is meant to be "right".

Other people have trouble differentiating between a character being a good person, and being a good character.

She's fine. I hate Todd though, worst character on the show.

Desu I feel like it would be extremely hard to live with someone like Mr. Peanutbutter, especially for someone who has a personality type like Diane's

You take that back. Mr. PB is literally cute and literally perfect.

I used to like her, but I felt she turned into a giant bitch this last season, like how she wanted to be the supportive wife to PB only for as long as she thought he would fail in his goals and then immediately turned and started to very publicly trash him as soon as it seemed he might have a chance. She had some traits, positive and negative, that made her relatable before, but it felt like they were missing this time around.

Actually, as much as I love this season, it felt pretty weak when dealing with the characters outside of Bojack, Hollyhock, Beatrice, and PC.

See I like Todd, but without bojack around he doesn't feel the same. Bojack keeps him down so theres no reason for him not to be a functioning person without bojack there, yet somehow he isn't

>only talks about issues on a surface level
>So overly extroverted it actually makes him hard to relate to
>usually wrapped up in some dumb shit
>uses superficiality as a way to combat any sort of existential thoughts or worries (trust me, he's a lot more like Bojack than he lets on

That being said, he's not a horrible dog, he's a good boy. He and Diane, however, are not a very good fit.

His race for Governor was rather ill-conceived and had a bad effect on their marriage.

At the end of the day, the real problem with their relationship is that Diane can't seem to determine if her attraction to PB is as deep as she wants it to be.

I kinda like how he was made out to be this sort of mythical being; it works well for his character and made for a nice ending to an episode.

Well she starts to like PB after seeing seeing his chiseled chest and abs in the 2007 episode

>His race for Governor was rather ill-conceived and had a bad effect on their marriage.
I recognize that, but Diane and PB went to counseling for a reason. She should have talked with him about it being a bad idea, instead of pretending to be the nice, supportive wife only to betray him later.

I think the real problem is that Diane feels really down to earth and mr.peanbutter is a wacky celebrity. She grew up in a shitty family in boston. Shes not comfortable with large romantic gestures, and shes really steadfast in her beliefs. Mr.peanbutter on the other hand just kind of goes with the flow doing whatevery anyone tells him, wants to make all these grand gestures with his wealth, and doesn't genuinely care about much else. Sadly he does care about her though.

exactly

Because she's both a sanctimonious bitch and yet still doubles as the writers' feminist mouthpiece. Consequently episodes focused on Diane's bullshit tend to be the low points of the season. In case of season 4, I guess it would have to be episode 5. Pretty much almost an entire episode wasted just to get to the punchline "Woah America hates women more than it loves guns." God, the absolute state of feminist """""humor.""""" Even if Diane is not as terrible a person as Bojack, she's just that much more insufferable.

Her neck is long. Mr. PB has a thing for long necks, his ex wife had a long neck too.

>Diane and PB went to counseling for a reason

This season made a point of that, I think, as they're seen going through those therapy motions in a sort of familiar, tired way once.

I've only seen season one but when I watched it I took away that she is the kind of person that needs to surround herself with people she perceives to be worthless in order to feel secure in herself. Essentially the same character as Misaki from Welcome to the NHK.

But there's that ballroom line in the last episode too that only seemed to be there to drive home the point that there was a disconnect between them.

Well, what do YOU think would happen when you bill a show as "depressed anthropomorphic former sitcom actor horse" and then fill up a shit ton of screen time with "twentysomething LA writer"

>I live vicariously through the protagonist

wew

If that were the case he would love Diane though

There always has been though, they just kinda ignore it.

that's the point

Diane's a complete phony. She's so mediocre and puts forth so little effort but thinks she's entitled to walk among the talented and self-observing just because she grew up around a bunch of idiot jocks. She thinks she's entitled to having romance of the kind of complicated high passion from Classical literature, but her only responses to her romantic partners' approaches are "yeah, whatever, anything's good" and "I didn't ask for this!"

I don't really hate her, I just find her to be a little sanctimonious at times where the writers will portray a lot of things as nuanced and well thought out, but then have some liberal talking point Diane stands behind as factual and anyone who disagrees is some cartoonish stereotype. The gun/feminism episode in season 4 probably exemplifies this the mose and I found to be one of the worst episodes of the show.

People on here can pretend that it wasn't just a liberal propaganda episode, but it really just was, with all the men being portrayed as misogynists, all the women being portrayed as innocent victims and then having the "America HATES women more than it LOVES guns" line really cemented it as a turd of an episode. They had a chance to provide some actual insight to female empowerment through owning guns, and it kind of did, but then it made the rest of the episode about cartoonish straw-man style misoginy as if it proved a point about anything.

Also she's way too harsh in Mr. Peanutbutter.

That episode had nothing to do with feminism tho

Did you miss the half of the episode spent on talking about how owning guns can make women feel as safe as men?

>Why do people hate her?

>Her plots aren't funny and land flat
>She's the main source of politics based jokes/plotlines and the writers are really bad at those so by extension they hate her because she's the focus of them
>She has a lot of visible problems that get brought up but unlike Bojack there isn't a "I'm actually wrong so I need to try to get better" moment so it's less engaging and repetitive, if there's nobody pushing the boulder up the hill nobody will care when it rolls back.

Those are the main issues. Now, of course, some braindead mouthbreather with a need to fight the nearest scarecrow will scream "CAUSE SEXISTS HATIN' SJWS!", and then do their very best to pretend people aren't saying the same shit about Todd.

If the plots aren't funny, then the audinece isn't looking forward to fun times.
If the politic satire is badly handled, people aren't looking forward to laughing or thinking.
If the character is too thin and never seems to show any change/desire to change, they just become grating.

That's it. That's the whole reason. Not funny or interesting and she takes up a shitload of time we could spend on the funny/engaging Bojack, or if you want a female representation because whatever, Princess Caroline, both of whom would be way better focuses for the time wasted on fucking Todd.

>Bojack keeps him down so theres no reason for him not to be a functioning person without bojack there, yet somehow he isn't.

It's almost like Bojack was never really keeping him down and that he was never a functioning person to begin with.

That kinda ruins his character though no?

can't argue genetics

Her biggest plot this season was when she probably blew bojack after PBs house collapsed what are you talking about?

His character can't be ruined if that's what it started as and never changed, can it?

>BoJack does some stupid/horrible shit

Still likable

>Diane does something not quite as stupid/horrible

Unlikable

Really makes you think.

there were literally zero amounts of sex implied in that scene

One, she did literally nothing funny in that episode while everyone else outside in the party was doing crazy shit. She didn't even get the funny lines while drunk, that was still Bojack screaming at the sky rodent. She was not at all involved in that plot, it was about Mr PB in a leadership battle.

What she was the main focus in was the Fracking and Gun Control plotlines. Which were so unfunny you forgot about them.

Bojack expresses an awareness of what's wrong with him, so even when he does bad things the audience is more inclined to forgive him. By contrast, Diane usually doesn't.

desu Princess Carolyn is the only major character that works without Bojack

There was a lot though

>she did literally nothing funny in that episode
yeah, besides spend days with another man drinking in a bedroom ;)

That forced gun episode and the fracking stuff was reason enough for me to hate her.

And she has the same problem as all female characters; Peggy, Linda, etc. She doesn't move the plot forward, doesn't matter whether she's there or not, and she's annoying.

Other thread died on me while I was at work, so here.

This, and part of being in a relationship is accepting the parts of your SO that you don't like. She knows full well he's over the top and bombastic, he's a fucking celebrity for fucks sake. She knew that when she met him, she knew that when she started dating him, and she fucking knew it full well when she married him. Now suddenly she doesn't like his personality?

She's also shown she doesn't really care about how her actions effect him, what his feelings are, and has no problems with lying to him. But we're supposed to feel sympathy for her since he doesn't "understand" her? Fuck that shit.

She seems to have married Mr. Peanutbutter with the idea of changing him to suit her. Unfortunately for her, she forgot one simple thing. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

That whole episode was chock full of straw misogynists and passive aggressive quips straight outta tumblr.

>I'm totally unqualified to cover a news story this important, but as a straight white male I'm going to plow forward with confidence and assume I'm doing fine.
(Landwhales at the side start howling OOOHHHWWWHOOAAAH and begin chanting DAS RITE DAS RITE)
>What are my constituents supposed to do, NOT compliment random women on the streets?
(Female audience now groaning with laughter)
>I can't believe this country hates women more than it loves guns!
(Entire hamplanets explode, guts and shit flying everywhere)

That other user is right, the fifth episode was feminist preaching trying to disguise itself as "humor" at its worst. Somehow even worse than the abortion episode. It's baffling that the same people are capable of creating some real outstanding television such as dealing with Bea's dementia. But whenever the lefty writers can't contain their self righteous wanking, quality immediately takes a nosedive into the shitter.

You feel sympathy for people because they're people

I hate her because she is a hafu.

No, I feel sympathy for decent people, and don't give a rats ass about people who screw over others and then play the victim. Why would I feel sympathy for them?

The whole show is full of strawmen on all arguments it's one of their primary sources for comedy

>le stabbed in le back meme

easy there, hitler

While they do like to make use of some ludicrous strawmen for laughs, it's blatantly obvious that Diane's politics are always being framed as the "correct" position which the audience is supposed to agree with. Hence why it becomes tiresome very fast when the show employs strawmen to score some feminist browny points.

Honestly here's my issue, if she's not trying to change, her relationship problems are just the same thing over and over again(this last one is literally the same "I don't want big gestures" from the time he threw her a party), her political plotlines are always preachy and unfunny, what's left to want to see when she comes on screen? I mean, you'd want to see her change or something, right? Be better? But what would that mean? Would she stop doing the activism stuff? I would hope so because they're not very funny, but what else really is there for her? Her relationship jokes at the end of the recent season weren't funny, I can't even remember a joke besides a deadlock on a road to hawai, which was a nice sightgag at best and would've been funny if they hadn't lingered on it. I mean maybe she tries not to be an activist but gets pulled back in? But then you'd end up with more of the same problems of her political plotlines.

Bluntly put, everyone keeps saying they want her to change, but when Bojack tried to change we got a wonderful story of reconnecting and heartwarming attempts to better himself mixed in with some wonderful comedy and wonderful gags, and when PC tried to change her life we got some deep thinking stuff that made you feel things. What would Diane trying to change mean? Where is her character going to go?

Well I guess I can't really disagree with you that the show has an overall left leaning stance, that said they're good at handling Diane as a Brian type character at least.

I'm glad they handled her like that and also showing that people who are that uppity are usually just miserable sacks of shit.

she takes too seriously and personally political issues, unless she finds some male equivalent of her i doubt shes ever gong to be satisfied with her partner

this. PB and Diane are not bad people, and clearly they are good together on some level. But just because you're good friends doesn't necessarily mean you'd be a good couple. like the fact that they need to have hate sex after arguing in order to feel any spark in their relationship is not the sign of a healthy marriage.

>People on here can pretend that it wasn't just a liberal propaganda episode, but it really just was, with all the men being portrayed as misogynists, all the women being portrayed as innocent victims and then having the "America HATES women more than it LOVES guns" line really cemented it as a turd of an episode
This.
Alas it's only going to get worse.
Straight from the horse's mouth:
>I know I’m certainly less interested in exploring the small hypocrisies of rich liberals. You know what I mean? I’m not in the mood to poke fun at those kinds of people when there are real, real problems that we need to talk about.
With problems he means Trump

Sure, the whole gubernatorial bid was a stupid idea from Mr. Peanutbutter but if Diane was more assertive and just outright stated that she didn't want him doing it in the beginning it wouldn't have snowballed out of control like it did. She'd rather wait for Mr. Peanutbutter to fail and offer false support than ripping off the figurative band-aid and nipping the issue in the bud.

If you don't have an argument, you can just say so. You don't need to jump straight to hitler comparisons.

Bojack is a bad person because his toxic personality makes him a self-sabotaging addict that squanders the majority of opportunities thrown his way. Bojack gets lost in who he was, is, and wants to be over the course of the series, and in the end starts to realize that all of his problems are self-inflicted and the only way to be happy is to be honest with himself and the people around him. He's impulsive but almost always in an "isolated" way, in that he does what ever benefits him the most and abandons things he finds difficult or taxing.

Diane is a bad person because her toxic personality is passed off as being "idealistic" or "empowered", when in reality the majority of her problems are self-inflicted AFTER she projects them onto the world and people around her. She HAS no identity, and her failure to address that makes her a preachy activist to mask the fact. Whereas Bojack has to go out and pursue his current obsession, Diane always walks backwards into a situation that benefits her. Whether it's ghostwriting a biography, being given a chance to volunteer, or supporting her husband, she always starts by saying she wants Outcome A, but then cries and complains and blames the world around her for not providing Outcome B. She expects everyone to be sympathetic to her opinions and chastises people for not agreeing with her or "knowing what she's thinking/feeling" at all times. She over-complicates things and then for some reason is supposed to be the victim.

Bojack is capable of recognizing his own demons and blaming himself, Diane is not. That's why he's pathetic, but she's a cunt. Bojack ruins his own opportunities and feeds his breakdowns; Diane ruins her opportunities and then blames others.

Fuck now I can't unsee that, thanks user.

There was a potential to Todd that he was going to grow when he got less dependent on Bojack, but it never happened. Thus he was retroactively ruined.

holy fuck dude

It was nice, but you can't do much more with a character once you've turned them into Forrest Gump.

>I'm tired of squinting

But Diane isn't supposed to be obviously right in that episode. In fact, she easily reversed her position on guns just because she loved the power of them and then at the end her accidental getting all guns banned is presented as a positive outcome anyway. It was incoherent.

What will really, really infuriate me is that the writers could make her dump Mr. PB to be in a romantic relationship with BoJack. That would be complete utter bullshit

>What would Diane trying to change mean? Where is her character going to go?

Divorcing Mister Peanutbutter.

But Bojack hurts lots of other people, and Diane hurts mainly herself.

America does hate women almost that much. You can extrapolate that well enough just reading this very website, and this isn't even one of several larger websites actually devoted to the subject of hating women.

Triggered MGTOW tards from Sup Forums hate her for her feminism

>is presented as a positive outcome anyway.

Why? Because some offhand character said she passed sensible gun laws? That's retarded. This is Cali, they were all anti-gun to begin with.
The outcome was not positive at all. The story was about Diane and the last sentence was just salt in the wound. That's NOT something someone who wants to own a gun to feel safe wants to hear.

>wah wah wah Sup Forums

>that moment during Beatrice's demenatia addled memories where Bojack is interchangeable with his Father

It's not much, but it's telling about how much she blamed Bojack. She probably saw him as a smaller, weaker version of her husband to torment.

>80% of murder victims are men
>"You men will NEVER understand. You'll never understand what it's like to be a woman and never feel safe".
>"Abortion is perfectly fine, and the fact that men think they have the right to even THINK about having an opinion about abortion is wrong. Men have no right to tell a woman what she can do with her body! Her body her choice!"
>"Haha circumcision is so funny! It's obviously the mothers choice what gets done to her sons body, why would he have any say?"
>OMG this country just hates women SO much it's unbelievable.

I don't hate Diane all the time. It's just the fact that we're guaranteed one shitty, ill-informed, hypocritical feminist episode per season with Diane as the leading mouthpiece makes me hate her for that 1 episode each season.

What did Paste Magazine mean by this?

that they suck

People hate Daria?

THIS. I don't hate her, but she's just as fucked as Bojack. She doesn't know what she wants... I mean, god damn it, Mr. Peanutbutter is adorkable, but Dianne just can't handle that she has to make HIS life impossible, to keep her "ideals".

A relationship is about giving up, and she hasn't give up shit.

Princess Carolyn is the greatest hopeless hero ever created.

at this point, I feel as if, not even Bojack wants her that much. Even he knows she's bad for him.

OFFICIAL BOJACK HORSEMAN MAIN CHARACTER TIER LIST:

Princess Carolyn > Bojack > Mr. Peanutbutter > literal shit > Diane > literal shit's literal shit > Todd

There's nothing wrong with being like Diane, but I feel like you should grow out of it at ~25.

If you think /r9k/ or Sup Forums is in anyway representative of America you are retarded

I don't care. Bojack is interesting and hurting people makes for good drama and humor. Diane being a miserable cunt is boring and infuriating

The Hippo episode was good. Celebrities and powerful people do get away with fucked up shit like sexual abuse. People either don't give a fuck unless it's affecting them personally or they're unwilling to separate actors from the characters they play and accept that those people are capable of evil things.

The abortion episode also made an effort to show that it's bad to make a serious topic too light (although it also made the opposite argument with the teen in the abortion clinic). It pokes at Hollywood for abusing a serious issue for profit. Diane didn't feel bad about the abortion and PC told her it's up to her to decide how to feel. If you disagree with these stances, you can take into consideration that Diane is a self-described 3rd wave feminist and PC is a strong woman living in L.A., so what do you expect.

They dropped the ball for this season though. The straight white male comment is played straight and without a hint of sarcasm. Women owning guns to feel safe is actually an argument that pro gun rights advocates use but the counterargument of men somehow being upset about women wanting power is ludicrous. It's mostly men pushing gun advocacy and urging women to try it out themselves and also arm themselves for protection, while mostly liberal women are against the idea. The show depicts a literal patriarchal society trying to suppress women and while one could say it's just played for laughs, there are people who legitimately have that world view.

tl;dr: The "Political/Social Episode" got less grounded and more preachy/feminist each season.

To all feminists in this thread, can you argue against these points? I'm betting you can't.

Feminism is a joke. But it's a really bad joke that ruins society.

Everyone loves PB, therefore, they hate someone who would break up with PB.

I like Diane. I also like PB. I like all the characters, desu.

I doubt there's any feminists here so I'll argue for them.

>You're sexist. There, now that you're neatly filed into the "sexist" category, all the points no longer matter and I don't have to address them, because anything a sexist has to say is obviously wrong.

Here I'll also play the role of society and the media

>Oh yes, absolutely, he's a sexist and a terrible person! Everyone shame him, he's a big nasty evil sexist. Not like me, I'm a good person who respects women and believes in equality. You're such a strong intelligent woman for standing up to sexism like this. It must be so hard for you living in this sexist world where almost everyone and everything is always against you, but you're just so smart and strong to pull through it anyways.

>80% of murder victims are men
>"You men will NEVER understand. You'll never understand what it's like to be a woman and never feel safe".

Okay, and 90% of adult rape victims are female.

She definitely is the mouthpiece for feminist issues in the show, but that's who she is.

Feminism is a distraction to pry women interested in fairness away from the Women's Liberation Movement, which was associated with and marched with Communists.
It also sets men and women against each other, which is useful too.
The people it triggers shit up threads and daily life like you just did there.

So you'd rather be murdered than raped?

Not that user, but I would desu.

Also I've never been beaten to a pulp or raped but I wonder which one is ACTUALLY worse

I love how this is always the classic comeback.

On a scale of awful things, rape is definitely not as bad as murder. That being said, rape is still pretty fucking awful, and not something men need to worry about as much as women. Not to mention, a lot of those murders of men by other men are probably from gang violence and shit like that that most people will never be involved in anyways.

% of murder victims are men

Men murder men, news at 11

Most women will never be raped either.

It's only around the time feminists started changing the definition of rape to include "any sex you regret afterwards" or "any sex you were in any way drunk during" as rape that rape rates suddenly started to skyrocket. Crazy right? Almost as if they gain massive power from the sympathy and victim status of rape rates and will do anything to increase them.

Well I think you're a liar and full of shit.

I'm gonna let you in on the secret to a clean mind and a life well-lived, because I'm nice: everything is a conspiracy. If you think something is important or feel a sense of self-righteousness, there is a 100% chance you were made that way by some sort of coercive entity because it makes you easier to manipulate. When something becomes "a movement", it can no longer do good in proportion to the evil it does. Use your mind and body to benefit yourself, not the conspiracy, acquire Slack and try not to hurt anyone.