Has anybody else re-read Scott Pilgrim lately?

Has anybody else re-read Scott Pilgrim lately?

It is so different to read it in your 20's as opposed to your teens.

I just came from the future where I read it in my 50s.

What the fuck is wrong with kids today?

Lisa was wrong to take advantage of Scott's situation but she's still best girl to me

That sounds like a recipe for a bullet in the head.

It's amazing how much it changes when you are in a relationship, and even more after a breakup, this book has layers, it's not just your typical le random humor and funny quips book, it can actually be really reflective and incredibly depressing to think about even with the happy ending, last two volumes in particular

bump

Degenerate trash from Canada.

When you're young, it seems like it's about being a cool gamer guy who gets his nerdy Hot Topic dream girl by being in cool anime fights.

When you're older, you realize it's a criticism of that mentality. It's the author looking back and saying "this is how I perceived life when I was this age". It becomes apparent that Scott is a douche and thus you as the reader realize YOU were also a douche. He blows off his friends for this vapid girl whose entire personality seems to just be that she's a fap fantasy. But you also see that Scott deserves someone like Ramona, because all the girls with actual personalities he knows, he hurts with his selfishness and ego.

>tfw same age as Scott now
What a prick. Everyone in that series was.

Isn't it also about not letting the past ruin your future? Volume 4 and 6 were great examples of this. Could someone also explain the head glow thing?

I'm going to university in a state that I was not born in and reading Scott Pilgrim is actually kind of hard for me. I can see myself or my old friends in almost every character and it just makes me sad that I miss them.

Top tier waifus tho.

I thought the same thing about Scott Pilgrim as a teenager that I thought in my twenties.

The only thing that's really changed is that instead of just wanting to bang Knives Chau I want to marry and protect her.

Wasn't the glow just some device made by Gideon?

I read it for the first time when I was 12, rereading it in my first year of college after a breakup similar to Scott's in Vol 3 made me connect with him and this story in a completely new way

Well yea, but I'm sure it's a metaphor for something. Cause when their head glows they kinda act like douchebags

this

>In early twenties
>Friends with one guy I barely talk to
>Grumpy ass girl who I had a regrettable, sloppy one night stand with and pretend it never happened
>Other guy who's great to be around, but always brings his unbearably bitchy girlfriend who happens to know everyone I do

Yeah, the book is a little relateable

fuck, this makes sense, Ramona never struck me as a good character at all, like you said she was a fap fantasy, i saw the movie first and they kind of painted her less so of that, or maybe i was distracted by the references to "BEEDIO GAMES!"
Knives was too pure for Scott, and Kim was aware of the bullshit he pulls, a friend of mine told me how Scott ending up with Ramona is a horrible person ending up with another horrible person, everyone's an asshole in it, but that's the thing, everyone's an asshole in real life, whether it's intentional or not, Scott was the type of asshole, as you get older, you don't wanna be, IE ditching your friends for some girl you barely know or pushing away the people with a real personality for some cardboard cutout
i like Kim, she's just a grumpy girl who needs a nice comforting hug

a little too relateable, huh?
i should re-read it, has a nice artstyle

Don't give Kim an out. She repeatedly slept around with a guy who beat up and humiliated her boyfriend.

shit, i do not remember that, yeah i might need to re-read then
wait wait, who was her boyfriend?

I read Scott Pilgrim when I was thirteen and I thought he was an insufferable ass.

I didn't find it at all relatable. Scott's issues were not at the issues I had as a teenager. Even now that I can look back at who I was then I still don't find it relatable. Hell it's even more unrelatable.

Knives is best waifu though.

Some nerdy kid. Scott beat him up and bullied him.

Of course it's not relatable at fucking 13, that's middle school age.

Pretty sure OP means age 17-21.

Are you talking about Jason Kim?

Its funny to see Sup Forums come around to this
About 6-7 years back I posted in a few threads that Scott is just plain a shitty person, and I had nothing but "hur, you're just a basement dweller" responses.
But I'm also in my 30s, so I was aged out of the target audience when it was new I suppose.

oh Simon Lee?
didn't he kidnap Kim though? or something like that?

do you remember in the movie where Scott mentions in order to state dating Kim he ended up fighting "like a hundred ninjas on the school rooftop"?
thats in the book too, but its later revealed Scott actually just pummeled the shit out her one, perfectly normal and kinda wimpy BF until she agreed to date him instead. Scott doesn't remember the truth at all because his already delusional mindset make it easy for Gideon to use the subspace highways to fuck with Scott's memories

Been ages since I read it, but you first see it through Scott's fucked up memories as him saving Kim.

Later on you learn he just beat up her one wussy boyfriend.

Okay.

I didn't find it at all relatable when I was 17-21. Scott was still an insufferable prick and now that I had a steady job a lazy prick.

At the time it was definitely in part a reaction to its popularity. You couldn't go into a comic shop without some idiot dressed like Scott and his Ramona-wannabe girlfriend talking about how ebin Scott Pilgrim was and how cool the movie was.

What do you want, an award? Most people at that age are struggling with figuring out their career, finding places to live, juggling their hobbies with responsibilities, and forming and breaking lots of new friendships and relationships. If you really could not relate to any of those things because you just had everything together, good for you I guess.

jesus, that's fuckin' brutal, so is Scott delusional or was it Gideon's memory fuckery?
is Scott just a normal guy and all this video game shit in his imagination?

I totally forgot about Simon Lee. Makes you think what other memories Gideon messed with

Simon Lee, he appears briefly near the end of Scott's dream flashback in Volume 2. In Volume 6 we find out that he was actually Kim's boyfriend at the time, that Scott actually blocked out that part of the memory out (which is what made Nega-Scott), specifically the part where he was a nerdy kid who he beat up, and Gideon later explains that he also messed with Scott's memories, which is why in his first appearance Simon looks like Gideon and why the entire fight was actually lifted from a Lucas Lee movie that you can see Scott and Ramona watching in Scott's apartment in Volume 2

I'm starting to see the story as a "what if" scenario. What if adult life turned out how you wanted it to when you were 16, 17? You spend you're days lazing around playing video games with no job, and hanging out with your friends playing in a band. Scott has all those things, and when you read it as a teenager, you see it as the ultimate life goal. Once you finally reach the age where you want some sort of purpose in your life (the early twenties) you realize Scott had it all wrong. He was a complete burden to his room mate and parents, and kept around this girl who clearly wasn't old enough to understand her own feelings. What I used to see as his friends ganging up on him (calling him skeevy, having no respect for him) was actually them trying to give his reluctant ass a wake up call to stop being a human garbage can.

I feel like the Scott Pilgrim books can be used as a barometer to judge someone's social maturity on how they feel about both Scott and Ramona.

>It becomes apparent that Scott is a douche

You'd have to be pretty dense to miss this even as a teenager considering they beat you over the head multiple times that Scott needs to grow the fuck up and all of his past relationships going wrong were his fault. The other characters put him on blast all the time.

>What do you want a reward
Who said anything about that.

It's just that the issues Scott Pilgrim had are only really relatable to a certain strain of people that age.

My issues were just vastly different.

Its a self fulfillment gary-stu fantasy written by a canadian guy who spends more time playing video games and listening to enn dee rock than actually knowing what real life is like in your early 20's

need further proof that its garbage, look at snot girl, same shitty themes different setting.

Scott pilgrim is the definition of pic related

i dont think the author is that deep of a thinker. Every interview and behind the production stuff he puts out he just seems to be indie trash goblin

The video game stuff is a representation of how Scott views the world. He sees himself as the hero and everyone else as his supporting cast just there to help him, Ramona is the prize he deserves to win, Gideon and the ex-boyfriends are just bosses in his way, etc. He simplifies problems down into "I'm the hero, if you're not with me you're against me". However that confidence happens to be what draws a lot of people to him, only for them to get shoved aside into his "cast of colorful supporting characters" and ditched when they're no longer of use to him.

I understood he was an "asshole", but I thought it was supposed to just be a minor character flaw. And since back then I saw myself in Scott, and like him was very wrapped up in myself, I was seeing what I wanted to see.

I think it was someone here many years ago who pointed out to me what the book was supposed to be about, and re-reading it through that lens I got to re-examine myself as well.

Shit man I'm watching enough Bojack so I'm on a great streak

Will reread later

>Degenerate
>he said, posting on Sup Forums
you Sup Forumsdditors are never going to comprehend the cognitive dissonance here are you

this is where you spout a cuckypasta I don't read ;^)

I understand that Stephen still has his faults, but I've come to look up to him much more as I get older. Maybe it's just because he's actually passionate about something.

>If you really could not relate to any of those things because you just had everything together, good for you I guess.
Why do you assume that those are really the only kind of issues you have when you are that age.

Not every culture and place produces people like Scott Pilgrim. Even if they're the nerdy types.

Those things you described there, I never experienced them. I got a job really quick, always had a home and while I did make new friends I always kept in touch with the people I knew that were worth a damn in high school. Especially since they were always around on the block.

That's not to say I had my shit together. My mental issues hospitalized me several times and I had a violent streak going back years. Anxiety.

To this day I only really reread Scott Pilgrim for best girl Knives.Scott and his emotional issues always seemed not childish but in consequential and easily fixed in comparison.

so how much of the video game stuff was actually real and how much was in scotts head? or was it all real? i may be confused by that concept that the movie was gonna have wear scott turned out to be a serial killer

it gets worse with age
then you notice the jungian shit on it and you can read if again without hating it

>i may be confused by that concept that the movie was gonna have wear scott turned out to be a serial killer
what the hell are you talking about, elaborate?

the entire story's narrative framing is dream-like
you can try and turn the surreal and absurdist inserts as some kind of allegory for something but youd probably get a headache trying to rad it like that

Original ending for the movie was going to reveal that the events were all fictional and that Scott actually went around murdering all of the exes

I've never read or watched Scott Pilgrim, but this thread just made me realize that I've failed at every single thing I've tried in the decade or so since I first heard of it and I am still in the same situation I was then.

I want to cry.

Go to your local Walmart and buy a set of Kettlebells.

Work out every two days.

I thought the original ending was him and Ramona parting ways and getting back with Knives

Re-read it a couple months ago. Mixed feelings. Kim Pine best girl.

>What do you want, an award?

Your response indicates that you have not matured as much as you think you have.

Yeah I'm there too senpai. I've come to terms with it.

Kim Pine left her ex because Scott beat him up and kept harassing him, i dunno if she's best girl user, she feels regret for it.. but still

Its not really good. To be honest you need to like Videogames and maybe a bit of Anime to completely enjoy it

That's pretty much because she had feelings for Scott. No excuse, but if somebody badmouthed your wife you'd cut them loose too.

I appreciate that you're trying to help a perfect stranger, but I got in decent shape a few years back and it didn't help my situation.
I thought of getting in shape as something of a magic bullet that would fix all my other problems, but it was really just a distraction I was using to avoid making choices that really scared me.
I think I am working my way out of the hole nowadays, it's just slow going and I dug it pretty deep to start with.

I've mostly come to terms with it - I can live with never getting a girlfriend or having people's respect or making a difference in the world, but I can't stand the thought of my parents having to take care of me like this forever. Not after everything they've done for me.

anyone else really enjoying snotgirl

Alright you have the discipline to get in shape.

Join a kickboxing gym.

I'm kind of amazed to learn that there are people who looked up to Scott. He always seemed like a comically selfish prick to me.

But the references are some of the laziest aspects of it. They're lame as fuck and just """""obscure""""" enough to make some people feel like it's a inside joke/reference thing.
There is very little redeemable about Scott Pilgrim.

but come on dude, he knows the bassline to final fantasy 2

MUH NERD CULTURE

>They're lame as fuck and just """""obscure""""" enough to make some people feel like it's a inside joke/reference thing
but they are

Sauce on that? That sounds great.

I doubt kickboxing will be any different from Bujinkan, olympic fencing or HEMA.
Anyway, sorry everyone for the slight woe-is-me derail. I'm gonna go do something productive now.

Is pretty vain and I feel the story isn't going anywhere after two years.
The art is pretty at least.

>Bujinkan
>That ninja shit
Not that guy but holy shit.

So? Scott beat her boyfriend up and she responded by sleeping with him.

Typical lesbian shit.

loved it when I graduated high school, but i hated Scott as a person. Now, I feel like I hate Scott but empathize with him. is that backwards?

Elaborate user

So the movie sucks right?