Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor

>Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.
How is thor and captain america worthy?
They've killed people before

Being pure and not killing doesn't make someone worthy.

As a matter in fact it's never made clear what makes a person worthy.

Why would you think that killing people makes you unworthy? Do you really think Odin and co. have an issue with it?

Obviously when Odin designed the thing, he didn't include "never killed anyone" as one of the requirements for worthiness. Indeed, knowing Odin, he probably included the willingness to kill one's enemies if the situation demands it as one of the requirements for worthiness.

>batfans believe this

Murder Carol is best Carol

Odin, the gallows god. Odin who got blood sacrifices. Odin the death god.

>ummmm, did you just kill that guy, Thor-sweetie? Unworthy!! Gor was right

>the official mythology of FUCKING VIKINGS
>killing makes you unworthy
what the fuck OP

It's made very clear with Beta Ray Bill-- being worthy means being ready to take the role of protector of an entire people. Picking up the hammer needs to be a 100% selfless act or else it won't work.

That's what it's about: not being courageous or strong, not being virtuous, but being a god who protects his people.

Until 2012 it was all about being a noble, pious, respectable warrior in the personal opinion of Odin.

Then the whole Jane thing happened and Odin fucking hates her so who the hell knows now.

Odin isn't a batfag.

So

Is Mjolnir ever going to make any sense again, or are we stuck with Thor Corps and hammers who can defy the person who enchanted them for the foreseeable future?

...Did Jason Aaron really want to write Green Lantern but was stuck with a Marvel exclusive contract or something?

Wrong user

Everyone is a batfag

How you explain Red Norvell and Airwalker then?

Honestly every writer has their own interpretation especially because there is no clear definitiin of what makes you worthy.

But yeah being unselfish and a desire to protect should be part of what makes you worthy.

>norse mythology magic weapon

of course killing is ok...if needed

You could say Norvell was Odin manipulating eventd to make him worthy since he didn't eant his son to die in Ragnarok but yeah the hammer's enchantment was still there.

>They've killed people before
Worthy by Odin's standards, killing your enemies isn't a downside.

I can tell you never read the issue because that one was explained

If you're worthy, but not physically strong enough to wield a hammer of that size, can you still lift it?

Frog Thor lifted it

Worthiness has less to do with being a goody two shoes cuck who refuses to do harm and more to do with knowing when harm is actually needed and only doing harm then.

So basically, thor and cap aren't democrats, lol.

One side thinks that being good means never EVER hurting anyone ever, going as far as to not have feelings or a personality of your own so you don't even offend anyone slightly. Unless they disagree with you, then murder them as an example to others...
The
The other side knows that some enemies won't stop until they are dead and buried and aren't afraid to do what needs to be done in the face of murders and worse.

Funnily enough, batman is a fucking libtard. He won't kill the joker to save ANYONE,no matter how many innocent people he murders, but he'll kill villians who basically do what he does their own way...

So yay Thor and cap!

Why is Zeus cosplaying as Odin
Is it a keikaku of theirs
Is it their day off

>cap
>not a democrat

user, he voted for FDR and supported JFK. Also Democrats != non violent. That statement alone shows you know nothing about US politcs from before 2000.

>Viking god shit
>Caring about murder

It's a fucking warhammer. It's for fucking warriors. Warriors kill when necessary. That's why Cap CAN'T lift in most of the time: he's too nice & lacking in that killer instinct. Hence why he only manages it when everything's gone to shit and he sucks it up for the good of the many.
t. Walt Simosnon (will see if I can dig up the page)

No.

Thor Corps was fun.

Yeah, but they were ALL bad.

Niger Odin made that hammer, you think fucking Odin cares if you kill people? Hes a war god for christ sake.

Ok, first off, Cap was far more reserved about killing for decades than people think. The first man he killed after his revival was a minion for Flag Smasher, years after his return.

Also, worthiness based on integrity, will, courage, and honesty. They are men of action, who do not kill if not needed, who do not use their power for personal gain. They are both leaders and warriors, heroic yet willing to do what I necessary. Killing isn't a criteria, but understanding its weight is.

Breaking news: Gods are myths and myths are malleable. Thor's lore changes. Constantly.
'Member that time Ulik invaded New York from underground like trolls literally lived there? Or that time Bor was both turned to snow in battle and died in bed? Or those countless differing accounts of Thor's own personal history (including being there for Midgard's creation)?
No continuity lends itself better to comics than Thor. Everything's possible. Oftentimes simultaneously.

gat eem

Murdering is a big no no in Norse society that can lead to bloodfeuds.

Then the most important question.

Would they need to have proved they will kill (when necessary) by killing before, or would the hammer be able to read in to someone to know they'd do it if the issue came up?

Bullshit. Source me.
Even if you're talking about something specific like cold-blooded murder rather than defense of the realm, t'weren't the fuckin' zulus who immortalized the term "rape & pillage".

You could actually get away with murder if you were honest about it.

Open killings and such, but if you killed someone through arson or underhanded tactics you were seen as shit.

So if you reported that shit, paid the fee, you were fine.

Presumably it's a mindset thing. If you're willing to do it at the time you try & lift it, you're set. There have been occasions where worthy parties have changed their tune and suddenly become unable to lift their hammer. Like Bill in Godkiller, or Aaron's entire Unworthy kerfuffle (incl. that brief, badly-timed window he suddenly became worthy again in Time Runs Out).

*which is to say the latter

>>t'weren't

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your point, but I think it's important you know how much of a faggot you are for this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Worthiness seems to be largely about self sacrifice if you look at how it's been handed out over the years.

Like, it's about being willing to lead/rule at the expense of oneself, even if it means dying.

Hey, I just realized something: Was there a Miguel O'Hara in Secret Wars Thors?

>That's what it's about: not being courageous or strong, not being virtuous, but being a god who protects his people.

This is also why Reigning Thor lost his worthiness- he stopped protecting and started oppressing.

Good question

This made me wonder if Dr Strange would be able to lift Mjolnir but then I remembered that Strange's shtick is fighting Thor-tier threats in a decidedly non-Thor way so I guess not.

See I've always taken "pure" to mean literally pure. To know yourself and do the thing without hesitation or doubt.

A pure hearted warrior doesn't shy from battle, same as a pure hearted girl doesn't think to pack mace on a first date.

The early Christian law codes like the Grey Goose Laws of Iceland or the Yellow Thing Laws of Norway are pretty clear on killing a countryman being bad unless it's a duel, self-defense or he called you a faggot; if you try to disguise the murder or refuse to pay the fine*, you lose the protection of the law, as does anyone who offers you shelter, and all your personal property falls to the kinsmen of the victim.

Even if we assume the pre-Christian Norse weren't quite so harsh on killing, there's a few instances of the Norse gods being sued for killings in the myths.
Off the top of my head

>Thor, Odin and either Loki or Odin's brother Hoenir kill a dwarf they believe to be an otter, and the dwarf's kinsmen make them fill the hide with gold as penance

>Loki kills the giant Thjazi during an adventure and later on his daughter shows up and demands that the gods give her father an ostentatious memorial (Odinn turns his eyes into stars), make her laugh again (Loki ties his balls to a goat) and provide her with a husband (She demands the god of beauty, justice and goodness, Balder, to start with, but ends up having to settle for Njord, the god of sailing and fishing)

There's also the myth of Balder and Hodr, where the blind god Hodr kills his brother Balder by accident and their father has to send another of his sons to avenge Balder by killing Hodr.

*these were not small fines. We're talking several pounds of silver, and if you couldn't pay you'd become the slave of the victim's family

>unless it's a duel, self-defense or he called you a faggot

Headcannon is worthy is simply believing 100% what you're doing is right. No doubt or hesitation at all.

Well, the examples given in the text are claiming that a man has given birth to children; claiming that a man has been provably penetrated; comparing a man to a mare, a bitch, a gate-wife (a whore?), or any animal that gives birth.

So I guess according to viking law, liking traps isn't gay.

It should be noted that you're also allowed to kill a fucker if he calls you a troll, a sorceror or accuses your female relative of being a whore if she's not.

Isn't that Gravitron, a crazy person so powerful the whole world is unsafe as long as he is alive?

Sooooo...how is Cap worthy if he was a Hydra agent? Unless, being an evil, fascist is what makes one worthy?

Madame Hydra fucked with the enchantment so that all you needed was sufficient strength of conviction.
Whether that's a bullshit explanation I'll leave to you to decide.

Honestly, surprised they even bothered addressing it

Wonder Woman is worthy and Superman is not worthy. Superman doesn't go far enough to be considered "worthy".

inb4 someone posts the time that superman picked up mjolnir when the enchant was lifted

I wonder if "worthy" means being willing to kill for the greater good, honor, and duty, but neither desiring or enjoying it. It would explain why Supes or Bats couldn't lift it since both worry about not being able to come back once they cross the line, suggesting aspects of their personalities that are sadistic/crave power.

Clearly Pym hasn't properly disciplined her.

An this is all consistent with Thor's brand of "murder". He doesn't go around backstabbing neighbours for a lark. They even had a big arc in the early 90s where he finally got sick of Loki's shit, killed him and got fucking SMOTE for it by Odin. It's how Eric Masterson/Thunderstrike took over.

It was Master of the World. Alpha Flight villain. Otherwise yes, he had it comin'.
You're thinking Penance Stare.

Posting that page is misleading, so here's the one where he stops it
;^)

>You're thinking Penance Stare.

No, the Penance Stare straight up makes you feel the pain you've caused others.

Supes could tho
Or are those panels I've seen out of context?

where's ragnarok?

Supes stopped the hammer earlier in the story and then Odin lifted the enchantment for Supes to make a final blow

Nah.
Red!Thunderbolts wasn't anything new. Deacon no-sold it in Aaron's run because he believed himself justified, and some generic villain-of-the-month no-sold it in Mackie's own run because he simply didn't feel bad about any of it. Mackie, the guy who invented the damned thing.

Isn't tricking Hodr into killing Balder what got Loki imprisoned under the earth, bound by the entrails of his son?

In the version I've heard. Then again, there tend to be multiple versions.
Much like in the comics. Wherein Loki's gone through that whole snake-venom torture at least 3 different times that each treated it like the first.

Not like it hasn't been stopped before.

In one version, yes - he's punished at the same time Hodr is. In another, he went unpunished for the killing but decided to talk a ton of shit* to all of the gods while they were visiting a friendly giant for a feast. Then Thor shows up, Loki runs away and eventually gets tracked down and he gets punished like in the other myth.

*like calling all the goddesses sluts, claiming that Njord let giantesses piss in his mouth, that Odin goes to midgard and cross-dresses, that Týr was a shit judge, etc

>hey've killed people before

"Death is but the next great adventure."

Norse myth would never consider somebody who killed unworthy.

>that Týr was a shit judge
>The literal god of justice, who even Fenrir trusted to hold his honour
>A shit judge
Loki deserved it.

>Trolls lived under NYC
No, King Gerridor sent Ulik and a band of trolls there with Sif as a captive specifically to lure Thor away from Asgard.
>The Mighty Thor 137

>claiming that a man has been provably penetrated
h-how did they prove it?

In the name of doing good

Could the hammer beat the harry potter sorting hat in a fight?