Is there a bigger Mary Sue than Dr. Manhattan?

Is there a bigger Mary Sue than Dr. Manhattan?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8_MpC8PcPQ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Sentry, but that was on purpose

>experiences shit from such a broad angle he gets tired of humanity's shit and fucks off to another planet forever
i don't see the mary sue

Superman.

Wasnt the whole point of manhatten to be that he wasnt a mary sue, because you can have literally the power of god but hes still a sad depressed autistic mess?

You really have absolutely no idea what that term means, do you?

The thread is bait anyway.

Dr. Manhattan Is not a mary sue as he is increasingly finding himself distanced from the rest of humanity as the story unfolds. So much so as he begins to see people as little more than compositions of atoms. Dr. Manhattan isn't so much characterized by his power, but by his inability to engage with others.

Batman

Harry potter.
>Makes the quidditch team on his first day when he should have gotten in trouble
>Insanely rich through no merit of his own
>Loved by everyone, envied by his enemies
>Never gets in trouble
>One million points to gryffindor just because lol

yet despite all his power, he loses his own self and whatever illusion of agency he might had, beoming something worse that a mary sue, a self conscious plot enforcer

You're actually an idiot. Dr Manhatten is defeated by a tv remote.

what the fuck are you talking about

The whole point of Dr. Manhattan was that he eventually rejected atomic nihilism. His decisions mattered, his friends' lives and their decisions mattered, fucking life itself matters.

He doesn't lose anything; he gets his fucking soul back.

>Is there a bigger Mary Sue than Dr. Manhattan?
You don't seem to understand the difference between "Over Powered" and "Mary Sue" kiddo.

Dr Manhattan is, just like the rest of Watchmen, a DECONSTRUCTION. In his case it's a look at what would happen if someone where to become cosmically over powered with the answer being that they'd quickly become completely detached from humanity rather than acting the way Batman did when he sat in the Mobius Chair during Darkseid War, for example.

Beyonder was every bit as OP as DM was; but he still wasn't a Mary Sue, just a literal Deus Ex.

Batman's cool though.

>anyone powerful is just an author's self-insert

>Loved by everyone, envied by his enemies
Plenty of people hate him throughout, there was a period where he was essentially public enemy number one.
>Never gets in trouble
He famously got in trouble a ton. Though Dumbledore did give him special treatment since he was essentially raising the kid for slaughter.
>One million points to gryffindor just because lol
That is fair, but that didn't happen every year. I think that only happened a few times.

Harry isn't really that special at all. He's only really good at a few things, then he's average if not below-average at the rest. He's not even special for being the chosen one, since it would have been Neville Longbottom if Voldemort chose to go after him instead.

>Harry potter.
>>Makes the quidditch team on his first day when he should have gotten in trouble
Because getting special treatment because you're good at sports is something that anyone who went to a school with a sports team has seen happen?

Moreover: despite everyone thinking he's The Chosen One ... he's pretty mediocre at magic and really everything that ISN'T catching a Golden Snitch.

>>Insanely rich through no merit of his own
After having spent his first 12 years literally living in a closet under the stairs ...

>>Loved by everyone, envied by his enemies
He's literally HATED by quite a few people, Snape especially.

>>Never gets in trouble
While Team Gryffindor clearly operates under the motto "it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission" they also get bitten in the ass more than once or twice.

>>One million points to gryffindor just because lol
Again: Snape has a habit of doing the opposite both to favor Slytherin and to fuck with Potter personally. And then there's the every lovely Deloris Umbrage:

youtube.com/watch?v=8_MpC8PcPQ0

>Moreover: despite everyone thinking he's The Chosen One ... he's pretty mediocre at magic and really everything that ISN'T catching a Golden Snitch

Except the books rarely focus on his failure and whenever he has to, he makes it work. The fact that he has "bad grades" doesn't actually count for anything or has ever any consequences.

>After having spent his first 12 years literally living in a closet under the stairs ...

He lived in a closet 5 pages, was insanely rich 7 books and people kept giving him free stuff for no reason.

>He's literally HATED by quite a few people, Snape especially.

The guy who literally saves Harry's life more than once just because he wanted to bang his mom? Again, Snape hating Harry has zero consequences other than him being mildly embarrassed in class.

>While Team Gryffindor clearly operates under the motto "it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission" they also get bitten in the ass more than once or twice.

"More than once or twice" is absolutely nothing compared to all the times they should have gotten expelled for their shenanigans.

You could just stop making excuses and admit he's a shitty sue that no one in real life actually likes.

deliberately overpowered character =/= mary sue

I don't. And none of the definitions make any sense either. I doubt it's even a real thing.

Ah, so you're retarded then?

Then define it without copy pasta in a clear consistent way. Or is calling puddle who call you out "retarded" your only play?

> gets cucked
> loses to Adrian
> had kill his friend
> Mary sue

hrm....

>perfect character with no real flaws that's blatantly the author's self-insert
what's so hard to understand about that?

It is no wonder that one of the biggest mary sues would come from one of the dullest franchises in history. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

What's wrong with To Kill a Mockingbird?

I'm not arguing, I barely remember it, read it in high school and thought it was alright.

That image is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait

That is some old /lit/ pasta.

>Brave New World and Hamlet in low tier
that image is obviously subtle b8

>To kill a mockingbird
>Shit-tier

I don't see no Graveyard Book or Fahrenheit 451 in God tier so you're already wrong.

It bait, but TKaM is still not that great of a book, would be better if it wasn't told from Scout's POV

>The Stranger that high
>Fucking Atlas Shrugged
>Catch-22 that low
You wot?

That's what makes him a Mary Sue

altair

>God-tier
>Atlas Shrugged

I read Atlas Shrugged. And good God my eyes bled. It's the most boring, poorly written shit I ever did lay eyes on.

Responding angrily to an old copypasta

That really didn't make much sense did it?