The russians are making their own cartoons now and ripping off Disney's animation style...

The russians are making their own cartoons now and ripping off Disney's animation style. What does Sup Forums think of this?

youtube.com/watch?v=PoK8LL8_Ql4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lbDQL8o3Ne8
youtube.com/watch?v=052wXGEcYAA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Polish_War_(1654–67)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_of_the_Emerald_City
youtu.be/bIOo6oKdLCQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoners_of_Power
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Planet_(film)
youtube.com/watch?v=oAe9bmA_MKU
youtu.be/o6xQDChpUR0
youtu.be/HVf4NbSmJfw
youtu.be/NuMRuSVd3Ss
youtu.be/14Zk7c0US2w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good. Someone oughta do it, now that Disney just wants to make shitty 3D films and coast off Pixar's success.

I have no idea what this is supposed to be in Russia's history, but it looks pretty entertaining.

Polish-Russian war. Back then poles were huge assholes

Any one in particular? Google is giving me 8 different wars from the 16th to the 18th centuries.

as long as its all white

Why just link the trailer? The same channel uploaded the whole damn movie.
youtube.com/watch?v=lbDQL8o3Ne8

>now
No one remembers Prince Vladimir.

youtube.com/watch?v=052wXGEcYAA

Ugh, I understand ripping off Western animation, but why Disneyesque style!?

>No subs
Damn.

I like the look and animation though. It's definitely going for 90's Disney.

This one's kind of the odd one out, the other Melnitsa animations have more of a Dreamworks vibe to them.

Prince of Egypt/Road to El Dorado Dreamworks? Because of so, I'm highly interested.

Russian History isn't my specialty, but I'm seeing musketters, cannoneers, grenadiers, and some motherfucking Winged Hussars.

Based on the colors and weapons, I'd bet its earlier. Maybe 1660 or so, before Peter the Great 's modernization.

>1660
16th century means 1500 to 1599.
18th century means 1700 to 1799.
So, no, not earlier. Dead in the center of the timeframe.

But anyways, that would mean the Russo-Polish War.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Polish_War_(1654–67)

Unironically looks better than anything Disney has made in the past five years.

1609. It's about siege of Smolensk that lasted for 11 months when Commonwealth tried to invade us during Time of Troubles (aka Game of Thrones but with poles instead of freeze zombies) and Civil War.

I'm seeing the Smolensk War as being between 1632 and 1634?

Yes. It's cheaper and they mostly produce the series about Three Bogatyrs nowadays. I liked individual movies (especially Dobryna's), but grown-up get worse with every movie. Back in the 90s they also animated Wizard of Oz. It was obviously super cheap (that's late 90s in Russia for you), but enjoyable.

It's not like Disney is using it.

Hey now, the Poles fucked the Turks. I think we can all agree that is a point for them.

The Smolensk War was about Romanovs trying to take Smolensk back after Commonwealth got in the piece treaty in 1618.

>Wizard of Oz
That sounds interesting. Was it just a straight adaptation of the film, or did they go more with the original novels? Or did it have some uniquely Russian elements?

Honestly, who didn't fuck the Turks?

Okay. Wikipedia is shitty for this. I'm just interested in reading about the actual conflict being depicted in this film.

The Byzantines

The Poles started the trend

It was pretty straight forward adaptation of the book and then the second one in a sequel. If they wanted to add Russian flavor they would have adapted Volkov's books (which started as a translation of the first one, but then moved in a completely different direction. There's a mecha fighting a giant witch in a fifth book. Just saying)

>ripping off
omg grow up

Color me intrigued.

Honestly, just read about Time of Troubles. It's a conflict that was going since late 16th century where polish aristocracy funded pretender on the throne after the dynasty that ruled since 9th century ended and Russia was hit by drought. And the fucker actually won. But then Russian aristocracy killed him. So Commonwealth funded the second one, who claimed he is the first (even though he looked nothing like him).
Read it. At one point, one tzar poisoned his cousin, because his cousin was using the never before used strategy of winning.

Perfect, thank you! I can find material with those descriptors. Googling "polish russian wars" wasn't giving a lot of helpful material. Most everything was WW2 related as I expected, but I didn't how to narrow it down otherwise.

The second one in russia is actually about Witch's underling building an army of wood soldiers (admittedly he brings them to life with something from American second book) and then conquering everything and setting up a real fucking government...until he loses.
Third one about is about one of his generals going to the underworld where seven kings rule each every month.
Fourth is about antagonist from the second returning and uniting the mountain tribes thanks to the giant bird he found and nursed to health. He then defeated with a power of soccer.
Fifth about giant witch waking up and unleashing chemical attack/pollution on everything. Then they go to now reformed antagonist of 2nd and 4th book and tell him about their insane plan to murder her with the giant robot. He is on board. She actually tried to recruit him earlier in the book, but he pretty much laughs in her face and says she is going to lose.
Never read the sixth, but apparently it has aliens.

>disney

Nigga this shit looks like Don Bluth.

Do you happen to have any idea if these have been translated to English and under what name? Because they sound like great reads. If not, what's the Anglicized Russian name? I'll search from there.

Google the wizard of emerald city. It will give you wiki article with the names of all books.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_of_the_Emerald_City
Christ almighty, why didn't I ask for an authors name? I didn't even think of that.

Thank you, I'm going to track these down.

>inb4 people complaining this is only rated 6+

Yes, you are before. No one cares.

Ratings are weird and was to ignore. I heard from people that apparently teachers took entire classes to go and watch Come and See. A movie with really graphic depiction of Nazi crimes against slavs in Belorus. There's a giant fucking pile of bodies on screen for a pretty long shot.

You might be interested in Sergei Sukhinov's books too. He based his series on "The Wizard of the Emerald City" but he takes his version of Oz in a different direction. Simply put it's Dorothy and her friends fight a dark lord.

Looks pretty cool.

This. Now that Disney no longer does traditional drawn animation, I'm kind of thirsty for somebody other than Ghibli to make something.

>now
Russians have been doing animation for ages. Just look at nu pogodi or the snow queen film or whatever. They probably produce more animation than France.

fuck off faggot

>Come and See
Jesus fucking Christ. The thousand yard stare of that child actor is scarier than any horror movie I've ever seen, let alone anything else.

Seriously, this was made in 1985. Did the KGB just horrifically torture a boy for years to get this fucking shot!?

Thanks for the tip. I have a lot of Russian novels to read now.

At least it's not Burnt by the Sun 2.

Fuck this movie. First film was great. But man, so many retcons. And Wolverine claws in the third one.

Yeah, first one is one of my favourite Russian films. I wonder what happened to Mikhalkov to make him incapable of making good films.

Politics rotted his brain and country changing. Happened to a lot people. Pelevin stopped being relevant in 2000.

Too bad Tarkovsky died of cancer in the 80s. I can imagine he would have made a single shot unchanging focus movie about the downfall of the Soviet Union and the rise of the Russian Federation throughout the 90s to the mid 2000s.

America would only know it as an awesome first person shooter that was released as a bugged alpha a couple of years of ago.

I know sound like a cunt, but I would fucking love to live in a world where such a movie existed. I only watched Stalker because of the game. Still haven't read the book.

Book is great, but in completely different way from film. They both use same concepts, but that's about it. Strugatskies were always in love with developing setting. Inhabited island and Hard to be a God have great settings, too.

>Never read the sixth, but apparently it has aliens.
Mind-controlling space invaders out of fucking nowhere.

Good for them.

>Strugatskies were always in love with developing setting
Fuck, now I have to read this book too. And it'll be a higher priority than the Oz books I heard about earlier. I used to be a fa/tg/uy, I fucking love me some world-building for the sake of world-building. That was my problem with the movie (though I figured it was kind of the point) that they never even tried to give even a hint as to what the Zone was, or where it came from.

I really like how they use Zones in it. I was never the fan of 'Chernobyl, guys!' in the games.

Look into Inhabited island. Really cool setting that I always thought you can use in a campaign.

The characters in this cartoon are more white than slavs are.

Well, it kind of had nothing to do with Chernobyl in the games. It was all about the DUGA radar system, and it being used in secret experiments through the 80s and 90s to affect to the Noosphere as part of a Soviet and post-Soviet mind control experiment. Chernobyl was just a cover. Irradiated land that no one can go to, but still fully powered because of a (broken and unmanned) nuclear reactor? Evil science dream setting. That's why the blast occurred in 2007 in the game timeline. They broke through the Noosphere and destroyed local reality. It could have happened anywhere.

Frankly, it was the twist of the first game's plot. Chernobyl, LOL was to throw you off.

actually russians ripped not many american shit. they have own experimental style cartoons since WW1.

youtu.be/bIOo6oKdLCQ

wuring soviet times it was tradition that every country part with own culture ministry had to finance the local cartoon studios. Putin brought this tradition back and russians do defintly more cartoons than all other Europe together. they just dont do big projects or anything for international market much.

disney is all about "muh ultra realistic CGI fur/water/fire/felt/glitter/whatever"

no style of their own.

Russian novel from 1969 by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, published in English as Prisoners of Power?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoners_of_Power
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Planet_(film)
(Wikipedia only gives me the film Dark Planet when I try and find a direct article about the book)

No this was the fad in the 2000's

Most Russian cartoons look like this now
youtube.com/watch?v=oAe9bmA_MKU

>Polish-Russian war. Back then poles were huge assholes
conflict between polish tribes and ruthenian tribes started in X century when ruthenians invaded grody czerwienskie and since then it was a big back and forth

and with everything that's going on nowadays we might get another round soon

Man that kid took a whipping from that baker

Yes. Strugatskyvl in general are pretty great.
Dude, the film come out in 2015. Sure it is mostly Melnitsa nowadays, but saying it was only in 2000 is a bit much.

youtu.be/o6xQDChpUR0

the most biggest irony is that russian cartoons are winning more and more market on eurasian continent. they even managed to enter chinese and indian markets where japanese, koreans and americans failed.

russians are now starting 3 different cartoon studios with chinese. budged around 5 billion dollars. that the same what amerifats gave out on ukrainian nazi coup in Ukraine.

russian cartoonsare also published on youtube or other social media as soon the project is financed by the state.

not really. those are mostly done by state and published on social medias.

>russian cartoonsare also published on youtube or other social media as soon the project is financed by the state.
Yeah, great, vodka and whatever.

Do they have English dubs or subs? I don't speak Putin.

>russian
You mean, soviet, right? I mean, Russia hasn't produced a single good animated movie since Bogatyrs.

>conflict between polish tribes and ruthenian tribes

sigh... nigglet.. there were no "polish tribes" polyane were different species back then. Moscow originally is literally founded and populated by polyane back then..

Mosfilm was russian Studio based in Moscow Russian Federation which was part of Soviet Union. you can call it both russian and soviet at that time.

shut the fuck up and kill yourself you fat shit.

What are some good subbed russian toons?

Oh shit, Russia bringing the Cold!

But seriously. I'm sorry I don't speak Russian, but it's not exactly a priority to learn it just to watch some cartoons. The films posted in this thread look really good. I do want to watch them. Is there anywhere I can find decent subs? I'm not even expecting dubs.

Not exactly. Both Tangled and Frozen carried over the look of their pre-Pocahontas 90's films, a style largely pioneered by Glen Keane. Zootopia borrowed from previous talking animal features like Robin Hood. Wreck-It Ralph, granted, was a mishmash of styles, but overall I'd say they've been fairly consistent lately with their 3D efforts.

u know what else foreign got big in the chinese market? transformers: the fuckin dino crisis

in all fairness, russian humor is pretty funny.

i've heard russian people are pretty funny, too, supposedly - the very few i've interacted with online had a godawful sense of humor

took everything too seriously, god, like making gay jokes with tumblr - the total opposite experience of making gay jokes with most of the gay people i know

I'll echo this. These films do look interesting.

Yeah, but wasn't cartoons produced by soyuzmultfilm? Mosfilm produced films.

Just give me subtitles, just like my Japanese animes

Also Soviet Pooh was great

i like how they have all same plot

youtu.be/HVf4NbSmJfw

they are doing new movie about Alica Seleznyova.

youtu.be/NuMRuSVd3Ss

sadly the animator sucks..

here is good one..

youtu.be/14Zk7c0US2w

carefully, songs are good.

i will look around maybe i can find some new one with subs.

Nah I watched cartoons in this style when I was a child, we don't really have to copy the art style only a plot/setting in some instances like "Nu pogodi" (Tom and Jerry copy but is based on Soviet culture so it is unique).

Bugged because of pressure from publisher, the development team was torn between ideas and failure of full A-life A.I. If you want to play THE stalker GSC was making then I suggest oblivion lost remake mod for shadow of chernobyl it is close enough but still in development, I think an English translation exists but I could be wrong.

CNPP had 4 reactors after the accident 3 were still operational and used way past the event in the game and real life. The C-Consciousness used "generators" that are only seen in cut content to tamper with the noosphere.

This is just cell-shaded CGI right?

>Bugged because of pressure from publisher, the development team was torn between ideas and failure of full A-life A.I. If you want to play THE stalker GSC was making then I suggest oblivion lost remake mod for shadow of chernobyl it is close enough but still in development, I think an English translation exists but I could be wrong.
I've played the mods. Oblivion Lost is the best mod I know of. I'm pretty sure that all of the Russian modders merged with the western modders and Oblivion Lost is the de-facto version for everyone at this point, with full localization across the board. That was my understanding from a few years ago. It's been a while since I've STALKED.

>CNPP had 4 reactors after the accident 3 were still operational and used way past the event in the game and real life. The C-Consciousness used "generators" that are only seen in cut content to tamper with the noosphere.
I don't know how to respond to this one. In the American release of Shadow of Chernobyl, the C-Consciousness ending was the main ending. That's without any mods. It wasn't cut for us. And unless I got lucky, I don't think there were other endings in the American version. The ending stated pretty unambiguously that because the other reactors your mentioned were functioning, it was the perfect place for highly secret experiments to be conducted. This lore is confirmed with the American version of Call of Prypriat. In that game, you can meet and save Strelnikov, and the epilogue confirms the C-Consciousness project and the other reactors.

I only know what I've seen in the American localized versions, so it could be different between regions. I wouldn't be surprised.

Unlike you Russians you've always been. Our "invasion" was called by a invitation from your aristocracy to restore order. Why else would we have not needed to besiege Moscow?

Kys peedorashque.

>Book is great, but in completely different way from film. They both use same concepts, but that's about it.
Tarkovsky loved doing that.
t. Lemfag.

To be honest, Strugatskys were totally on board, unlike during Solaris. They actually fell behind on their next story when writing the script. Also, they did pull most of their concepts from the book (mutated daughter, anomalies and even the meaning of ending, though changing the context) into the movie.

>I really like how they use Zones in it. I was never the fan of 'Chernobyl, guys!' in the games.

Both Roadside Picnic and the Stalker movie predate the Chernobyl incident.

The games also take heavily from The Forgotten Experiment, an unrelated early story by the Strugatskys.

Again, Chernobyl was just an easy location for the games. It had nothing to do with the weirdness. It was just a fantastic place to try and duplicate digitally.

The film adaptation is legendarily terrible though. Sitcom tier acting! Cardboard tanks despite a massive budget! Kung-fu out of nowhere! Giving no fuck about the book's moral!

Yeah, sounds like a film adaptation of anything from any country.

wew that is Mars Needs Moms tier terrible

Exactly. That's the difference between Stalker and Inhabited Island adaptations. Stalker changed a lot, but still kept the moral and the feeling how much Zone sucks. Inhabited Island? Fails at everything that made the book great.

As someone unfamiliar with the book and the movie but genuinely curious, can you tell me how so?

About Inhabited Island, I mean.

Is this by the same people who made Prince Vladimir? The animation looks similar.

I do, but it wasn't that good. Beautiful animation wasted because the director seemed to have no concept of pacing and design consistency.

Is it the same studio that made FIksiki?
That style is oddly familiar.

Hours later, but any possible response to this chain? I'm also interesting in watching these movies.

Think of every way a big-budget Hollywood adaptation of a book can go wrong. You will find it in this film.

O-oh.