I always see cliche rip offs of Elvis, kiss or the Beatles. But never Nirvana...

I always see cliche rip offs of Elvis, kiss or the Beatles. But never Nirvana. Is there any cartoons who have a character based of Kurt,Krist or Dave?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ceegjER8cgM
youtube.com/watch?v=PMRHQ7HTWYc
popdirt.com/is-elvis-the-best-selling-artist-of-all-time/36244/
youtube.com/watch?v=29w1FYiHL8Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=ceegjER8cgM

Do you seriously think Nirvana were anywhere near the same level of fame and popularity that The Beatles and Elvis were?

Arthur parodied one of their songs of all things in an episode about hearing loss, the song itself had nothing to do with hearing loss it was about a pop quiz.

nirvana weren't really that big, kid

source: old guy

>nirvana weren't really that big
>on every magazine cover for a decade

Yeah, starting from the year Kurt shot himself.

nah, though that gave it a huge bump. Smells Like Teen Spirit was THE single for a decade

Maybe in the US. The rest of the world dropped pills and went on to RAVE.
Whereas Elvis and the Beatles truly were internationally recognized.

>internationally
Elvis is seen like a joke in a lot of countries based on the period where he got fat.

uh...yeah?

Doesn't change the fact that in his heyday he made girls moist by simply appearing somewhere. When he arrived in Germany with the forces they were fainting because of vaginal dehydration.

On what planet do you live on that Nirvana ever rivaled the fucking Beatles?

Revolver

R-really?

god I fucking hate cobain

at least he killed himself before staley, weiland, and cornell

at least vedder is still alive

too bad stapp is also

youtube.com/watch?v=PMRHQ7HTWYc

On Earth in the early 90s. Sorry it was before your time

It won't be long, he's attempted like five times now

I can't think of any on an ongoing basis, but there are homages/parodies.

popdirt.com/is-elvis-the-best-selling-artist-of-all-time/36244/
>In mid-2006, top place was taken by Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain after the sale of his song catalogue, but Presley reclaimed the top spot in 2007.

Must be a generational thing. Nirvana is about as iconic as the Beatles are currently, so if a younger person is judging the popularity of them and they're being guided by how well modern culture still appreciates the bands it would seem like the two were comparable.

It's obviously dumb since Nirvana had a sliver of the fame the Beatles had, and they had it for about a minute, but if someone's using the modern influence the bands still have as a way to judge how popular they were, you can see why they'd think that.

When was the last time a rock band was a cultural phenomenon?

Because a band that was a part of a lesser known America only sub genre that was only kind of sort of listened by people who angrily refused to humor pop is not exactly a cultural phenomenon.

Nirvana will forever be those other guys who played some shit for a couple years while boy bands and rap were fucking huge and everywhere on everything.

This is like trying to praise early influential ska bands or swing bands. Nobody cares because at the time next to nobody cared.

Clueless: The Post

Nirvana is not and will never be as iconic as the Beatles.

The only thing going for them is that they perfectly represent the shitty angst ridden 90's really well when someone wants to make fun of how fucking stupid 90's people were.

>at least vedder is still alive
you have shit taste user

American 90's grunge was only ever played in the UK for about an hour at 3am. And then that stopped by 95 or so.

Nothing about them is international. They are cult at best if anyone outside of the US has even heard of them.

keep projecting

The last time a band completely redefined the popular rock landscape was probably Korn starting the nu-metal boom which reigned for like a decade

However, they were nowhere near as big of a "cultural phenomenon" as Nirvana was, rock and metal since then has basically just been generic emo and "core" stuff ever since with no real single bands standing out, rap and pop pretty much took over as the dominant form of "young people" music

>It's another Amerifats don't understand people in other countries never heard of their favorite obscure shit episode again

Yet Korn has appeared in more shows and has been parodied more often and referenced than Nirvana.

Even Linkin Park gets more popularity

What drugs are you faggots on?

I'm not American, and what you're saying is absolute horseshit. I don't think you were even alive in 1991.

Because the 90's was the era of the boyband.

Any influence a grunge band had was drowned out in the waves of pop sensations like Nsync, Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, Boys 2 Men, 98 degrees....And all the Disney pop idols like Brittany Spears etc.

Underneath all of that shit which dominated the decade, any bands are shoved down to the level of footnote at nest.

Unfortunately its this. The 90's were the decade of massive growing popularity of rap and artificial pop bands.

Tupac and Biggie Smalls deaths are forever remembered as tragic losses of game changing artists that forever altered the landscape of music and culture as we know it. Kurt dying was just sort of a ..."okay he's dead, meh" No one really gave a shit because Nirvana was not the same level of cultural influence that Tupac reached. Which is still not the same level that Beatles and Elvis reached.

I think more people cared when Brittany Spears lost her shit and became a trainwreck.

Try looking at it again without the deluded fanboy goggles. Nirvana was never that popular and is not well remembered.

Bullshit!

Every stoner guitar playing type character you've ever seen in a cartoon or TV show has pretty much been indirectly based off of Kurt. Think Totally Kyle from The Amanda Show.

How many stories can one make from
>Oh I'm so depressed, I'm playing a guitar and crying
guy anyway?

He would be fucking awful in any comic or cartoon

Nirvana is much more iconic that beatles ever were. Nobody listens to beatles anymore, while nirvana lives forever

Underage faggots detected

Pretty much this desu

>Tupac and Biggie Smalls deaths are forever remembered as tragic losses of game changing artists that forever altered the landscape of music and culture as we know it.

Literally nobnody knows who Tupac is in my country. Literally anybody born in the 90s knows who Cobain is.

You really have no idea how big grunge was internationally. Hip Hop is an exceedingly american phenomenon and only really took off internationally in the 00s, while Nirvana was already world famous years before

since the conversation is more or less tarted less talk about obscure or non cliche music/muscician reference in comics and cartoons,i really liked Succulentus from ok ko,the linkin park/korn reference was kinda cool

I think it has to do with Kurdt killing himself and his songs often dealing with depressing things. The Beatles and Elvis are more iconic worldwide and are perhaps more appropriate to parody for younger audiences.

you're old

Let's not be silly user.

KISS Army

Pop like BSB and N*Sync was largely a late 90s (end of the decade) and early 00s thing

Their peak was the 00s, rap really blew up for suburban white folk with Eminem which once again, end of the decade/00s was really the explosion of that stuff, which in the rock world, nu-metal was the competing factor, bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park

Nirvana was the biggest thing in rock for the earlier part of the 90s, along with their fellow Seattle underlings, pretty much up until Kurt blew his brains all over the wall

>It won't be long

youtube.com/watch?v=29w1FYiHL8Y

Alice in Chains is better user.

No one is saying they're better, just that they're popular. Are you saying Nirvana isn't popular? I guarantee more people under 50 listen to Nirvana then Elvis.

THIS

this

Not even close. Only rock nerds even knew that song existed. Pearl Jam was WAY bigger. Hootie and the Blowfish was bigger. Alanis Morrisette was bigger. Ace of Base was bigger. There are DOZENS of forgotten 90s bands that outsold Nirvana several times over. Green Day was the REAL biggest and most influential band of the 90s.

you are not living in reality

stop believing media revisionism

over 90% of nirvana's sales are from AFTER he committed suicide

during their time pearl jam sold TWICE as much and they're completely forgotten

that's how totally irrelevant nirvana were and still would be if cobain had lived

THIS IS THE TRUEST THING IN THE THREAD

>Nirvana was the biggest thing in rock for the earlier part of the 90s

and yet pearl jam sold WAY better, as did metallica

nirvana is a rare example of a "classic rock" band that is more popular with young people than it ever was with older people

they just weren't that big back in the day

>Hip Hop is an exceedingly american phenomenon

And yet it's the highest selling genre in existence. Rock sales IMPLODED in the 90s.

>rap really blew up for suburban white folk with Eminem which once again, end of the decade/00s was really the explosion of that stuff

Rap was responsible for 70% of ALL music sales in the 90s. Dre and Snoop made rap the biggest genre. It outsold rock MANY times over throughout the entire decade.

Metallica, GN'R, and Pantera were pretty much oddities though...exceptions to the rule of the old guard of rock and metal being completely wiped out by the grunge style, but they were still very much representing what was left of the 80's

As for Pearl Jam, interesting if that's true, but Pearl Jam is still huge today, they were the least edgy of all the grunge bands so it kind of makes sense....they were never as dark as AIC or Nirvana.

Maybe, honestly it's hard for me to even think of things in those terms of overall music, it's easy to compare metal to grunge in terms of sales or something like that....grunge and rap? Doesn't really seem like much of a relevant debate anyway since they are so far removed from one another.

Though without seeing statistics, I can't help but feel like Metallica's Black Album HAD to outsell The Chronic or Doggystyle in the 90s

I literally just saw a Nirvana parody on Phineous and Ferb or however you spell it, they go to Seattle and an obvious rip off of their songs starts playing

I like you. You have good opinions.

Metallica was a lesser known "other guys" in the genre until the 00's anyway.

not incorrect.

Basically this. Nirvana is some sacred cow of the annoying rock nerds that spend half their day debating and arguing over what band is labeled what kind of -Core. Death Core, Metal Core, Thrash Core.......

With Nirvana being some super holy crafter of a subgenre that can never be approached by anyone, meanwhile the rest of the human race sees a relatively mediocre whatever band from the 90's that was not even as good or remotely as successful as their contemporaries Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or Stone Temple Pilots.

People just remember them as some super amazing fucking thing because Kurt died and that made some kind of special rock martyr out of him.

If Kurt Cobain never died nobody would give a shit about him or grunge.

>Metallica was a lesser known "other guys" in the genre until the 00's anyway.

What? Metallica were at the peak of their popularity in the early 90's, they were arguably the biggest "underground" band in the 80's and they blew up with the Black Album.
I'm starting to think the people ITT are just rap guys who don't have a clue about rock, let alone heavy metal.

dubs don't lie

All that matters is that the artist's of today (besides Bieber) will not be remembered.

Red hot chili peppers, maybe?
Not really sure, people have shit taste now, so, Justin bieber might be a thing.

I want American music to be better. Like it was in the 70s - 90s (grunge and post grunge)

How do we get it back?

Oh yeah, and ska punk as well.

Post grunge is still going strong, Nickelback is one of the biggest bands in the world still

>Nickelback is one of the biggest bands in the world still

I find that hard to believe.

>But never Nirvana

No one gave a shit about Nirvana until Cobain was murdered. They were just another rock band in a sea of rock bands.

>I find that hard to believe.

Why? Nickelback is huge, they might be a pop culture punchline but that has done nothing to deter the masses from loving their generic post grunge crap.

Appealing to the lowest common denominator is a good way to get fucking rich as hell, imagine that! It's the MCU formula pal, the more bland and generic you are the more the everyman will love you

That's why every single 80s band who absolutely hates Nirvana credits them single handedly with ending their careers....because they want to give them good press!

>No one gave a shit about Nirvana until Cobain was murdered.

>murdered

>He doesn't know

Oh, I know.

I know it's a conspiracy theory perpetuated by those who just really need another reason to hate Courtney Love, like one is really needed.

Like it's that hard to believe a bipolar heroin addict with a history of suicidal tendencies would kill himself.

>it's a conspiracy theory

>Dashie dressed like Gene
Somehow that seems so fitting, two egomaniacs

>Pearl Jam was WAY bigger. Hootie and the Blowfish was bigger. Alanis Morrisette was bigger. Ace of Base was bigger.

At the time? He's absolutely right.

>watched Soaked in Bleach once
>also jet fuel can't melt steel beams, check out this film called "Loose Change," it'll blow ur mind

>Is there any cartoons who have a character based of Kurt,Krist or Dave?

Arseface in Preacher.

>Soaked in Bleach

>Not realizing Courtney Love was paid off to stay quiet about what really happened

He is right and wrong

Yes, more pop acts were "bigger" than Nirvana in the sense that they sold more records....but they were less influential or regarded in high status, but that is completely irrelevant outside of an autistic view of history

"Bigger" culturally doesn't mean sold more records, it just means bigger in record sales, not from a cultural standpoint in the music scene

>le wrong generation, the thread

>anyone with a knowledge of music before the last five years is le wrong generation fag

Or...you're just stupid and insecure about your absolute lack of knowledge of music history. Which is more likely? Go listen to your Lil Yachty or whatever, baby boy.

it's all pop now. Rock has gone underground again and is better for it.

"shot himself" that nigga was murdered by his whore wife

As much as I hate to say this, and I REALLY hate to say it, but if 90's music is gonna be remembered for anything it's gonna be Pop, boy bands, and Linkin Park, Nirvana revitalized a small piece of the rock n roll genre with Grunge, and help lead to multiple new bands and sub-genre's but that's about it, they were more of a catalyst than anything else.

Where as Linkin Park no matter how utterly shitty the road turned out to be had a much bigger impact on that generation, and the presence of shit like Britney Spears, NSync, and the backstreet boys is an undeniable force, no matter how much we try to deny it...

I purposely chose to completely leave on rap out of this because, well, when you can prove it's actually music we'll talk

I once had a stupid idea for a comic one-shot with Cobain. It was a fun idea on paper..