>Get interested in 2000ad
>Decide to read ABC Warrios
>It is literally an entire comic of Futurama "robots act like humans" episodes

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJqS0CmcTLI
mediafire.com/file/j3vytvk2x123gpt/
mediafire.com/file/ml792yt0jz1qih3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What parts have you read exactly? That seems like a really reductive way to pitch it, OP.

The ABC Warriors is some anime bullshit. Take basically any single warrior other than Hammerstein and you get this insane clusterfuck of transhumanism, magic, pseudoscience, war fatigue, perversion, PTSD and alien colonialism... on chainsaw bikes and just basically murdering everything they fucking see.

>Take basically any single warrior other than Hammerstein and you get this insane clusterfuck of transhumanism, magic, pseudoscience, war fatigue, perversion, PTSD and alien colonialism
You just described every 2000ad comic.

OK, you're right. But not always together and so weirdly.

I mean ABC Warriors is like:
>I want to do this robot war comic.
>OK Pat you go ahead.
>"Now Deadlock, the space wizard knight robot, has to betray his comrades because he's the living incarnation of universal Khaos. And he's aided by Blackblood, the vampiric Russian torture robot who worships Judas and who was magically infused by the soul of betrayal. And down the line they'll fight Steelhorn, the accidental war criminal robot who's been transformed by the goddess of Mars, Medusa, into a living ooze that can control wildlife."
>Pat where have all the drugs gone

Maybe it's because I read Nemesis first, but what's so strange about all that?

I think Nemesis is extremely weird ftom the first, whereas ABC Warriors has a more conventional initial set-up that it swerves really hard on.

OP's description is kind of apt though, because the gang are robots adapted to be more humanlike to succeed at killing humans. And then they don't get switched off and try to pursue these murderous transformative experiences to feel again, while Hammerstein becomes more and more ridiculous.

It's an underrated comic IMO.

>It's an underrated comic IMO.
Also like every other 2000ad comic then.

Seriously, why do they push nothing but Dredd? 2000ad has some fucking amazing comics and nobody has ever heard of 90% of them because they push nothing but Dredd.

2000AD does/has published some real trash as well TBF.

What gets me though, is that clearly Pat Mills has a hard on for Nemesis. He regularly cites it as one of his favourite series to have worked on and cites Torquemada as 2000ad's most iconic villain, but fucking nobody has heard of Nemesis.

The most viewed Nemesis video on Youtube us that C64 game title music and then it's just people talking about the composer. Every other video is barely scraping a few thousand hits at most. I completely sincerely believe Nemesis might be the most underrated comic of all time.

>Youtube

I mean, it's a pretty good metric. I'm not speaking for Youtube's quality. Clearly it is a shit show and crumbling at the seams, but it is the most used video hosting service.

Same reason DC pushes Batman.

I've read a bunch of Rogue Trooper and Dredd, but not ABC Warriors. Anyone know where I can get/read some?

No idea exactly what's collected and where but Rebellion put out graphic novels. Ro-Busters is the original strip, Mek Files the start of the ABC warriors as we know them and then the Martian stuff, and Volgan War the current stuff. IIRC. Judge user could probably tell you more if you can summon him.

>that pic

watchpaintdry is great.

Check the first episode of the 2000AD ABC. They usually feature a rec list at the end of each episode.

Mike Molcher, is an annoying hipster, but he settles into hosting early on, and the series itself is probably the best introduction for people trying to get into 2000AD beyond Dredd. I've discovered quite a few strips I never knew about and have grown to adore through it, like Indigo Prime.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJqS0CmcTLI

>tfw new Joe Pineapples series in January fully painted by motherfucking Simon Bisley
Spread the word, fuckers.

ABC Warriors is collected in the Mek Files, and later in the Volgan Wars TPBs. It's good shit. mediafire.com/file/j3vytvk2x123gpt/
You can also get Ro-Busters, which is a bunch of earlier stories starring a couple of the same characters and set in the same universe, in The Complete Buts and Bolts TPBs.
mediafire.com/file/ml792yt0jz1qih3/
You can get the rest from Bookdepository or straight from the 2000AD shop.

Just buy Meknificent Seven. It's cheap as fuck.

Interested in your take on ABC Warriors if you feel like sharing, Judge user.

DC doesn't have "DC Comcs featuring the Batman" on every one of their comics.

It's a series full of awesome characters hampered by some increasingly dodgy writing. The first few years are grand, with tons of fun and imaginative weirdness. Then things start getting very meandering plot-wise, lots of convoluted stories and rehashes. Luckily, the characters themselves remain hugely entertaining all the way through. I'd definitely recommend the first volume, and if you like the cast, stick with it. Personally, I fucking love General Blackblood. He's like robot Revolver Ocelot nearly thirty years before he existed.

It's mostly because UK fans already know about all the other characters, but US and international fans will usually only know Dredd and Sláine (and only the Horned God at that). To Rebellion's credit they've tried to push stuff like Rogue Trooper with US collections and new series via IDW, but it's an even more uphill battle than Dredd.

I seriously know very few people in the UK that know about 2000ad at all, like they know Judge Dredd but they aren't aware he is part of a publication that is not Marvel or DC. Call it culture creep or whatever, but for like 10 years now people in the UK have been growing up on Ironman and Captain America.

Huh. Maybe it's a generational thing. I've definitely seen my share of comments during the 40th anni celebrations that went like "Oh wow, wait, they still publish that?".
>Call it culture creep or whatever, but for like 10 years now people in the UK have been growing up on Ironman and Captain America.
I can believe that.

Thank you, Judge user and friends. I'm going to go read as much as I can, now.

ABC Warriors are underrated husbandos desu.

>It's a series full of awesome characters hampered by some increasingly dodgy writing.
Pat_Mills.txt

Alright, that's a tiny bit unfair, but he definitely could have done with someone reigning in his worst excesses from about the late 80s to early 00s.

I think that the core idea of the ABC Warriors has something special above and beyond the most schlocky and joke/reference-driven writing Mills sometimes puts into it.

I think this is right and the MGS comparison is really apt in that as you read the ABC Warriors it is amazingly character driven. But when you think about those characters, there's this core of really bleak comedy and even anti-humanism to it that has some weight. And it's different there from like Rogue Trooper.

In the preface to Nemesis volume 2 Mills explicitly states that ABC Warriors was deliberately more focused on the stories than the characters because he likes his stories to have actual conclusions and if he padded out every character each book would be obscenely long.

OK? Do you feel in the actual reading of the ABC Warriors the stories are more important than the characters?

I'm just stating what I read user.

Sure, and I'm just asking you to think about it. I mean Mills can say whatever the fuck, and I love him as a creator, but that is totally not my experience in reading ABC Warriors.

I mean I disagree with him, but it's hard to take him seriously if he is having the exact opposite effect of what he says.

I think a part of is that Mills, even when aiming for a plot-centric approach, can't stop peppering his scripts with those cool and funny character moments. Shit like Blackblood taking literally every opportunity possible to betray everyone, Hammerstein becoming a cartoonishly stuffed shirt, and so on. So you can have stuff like the Black Hole or Hellbringer, which have some incredibly meandering-ass plots, and still enjoy most of it thanks to those moments.

I don't agree with him there and I dunno how much you should ever take Mills 100% seriously but I still really enjoy the ABC Warriors.

I feel like even the interminable plots and repetitive character moments add to it because it's like, this is these character's lives. It's just relentless, unending, maddeningly chaotic war. Whenever they take a break from war they get all fucked up and nihilistic because they're too bored and/or nothing seems to matter anymore. It's not a coincidence they're frequently on Mars right?

In the ABC Warriors basically every human system that is created fails and falls into despair and degeneracy. And the ABC Warriors come along and kill a bunch of people and/or robots and either prop it up again or end it for good. They aren't human and they don't want to be human but there's something about the human experience that they DO want, and they look for it in different ways. I mean Blackblood is fucking awful by any margin - he's literally forged out of this prolonged act of betrayal and suffering and he reverses the human's religion and drinks his fellow robots' blood in a sick replicated sacrament. He's completely paranoid and *guaranteed* to be treacherous because that's what he enjoys, and what is there left for him but enjoyment? But it's actually the same for each of the ABC Warriors in their own way.

Because most of them are or rapidly become total fucking psychopaths the fact they still have these humanity-saving missions and Hammerstein is still, at least ostensibly, this square-jawed heroic bot is hilarious. Hammerstein feels when he's the action hero squad leader but when you look at who he leads and what they do it's just horrific, which is really funny above and beyond shit like this

>That chapter in Nemesis where his little sidekick worm rat creature just fucking dies and gets written out of the story forever in three panels and nobody but Ro-Jaws even notices or cares

F

>Really want a Ro-Jaws figure because he is my favourite ABC Warrior
>The only one on eBay is like 200 quid

Anyone know where I could download this?

Well fuck I feel stupid now. Thanks user.

No part of that doesn't sound awesome

You forgot time travel.

Sure, not like I'm saying it's bad.