DC's Young Animal

What's your opinion on this impring and its books? I've been meaning to read at least some of them for a while (the ads and cover previews on the DC books I read always catch my attention), but I hardly ever see people talk about them so I'm very unsure of which should I read first.
Which are good, which are bad, what's the appeal of the titles or the imprint as a whole, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hD1VvSS3dlc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Doom Patrol and Shade are great.

Mother Panic is the only one I don't like.

My girlfriend likes Shade but she's a comic pleb.
I dislike Allred's art and after flipping through the Forager comic he made and I would say he has the creative limit of a Teenage girl who just discovered Warhol.

What about Doom Patrol? Does Way's writing hold up?

Doom Patrol is stellar, the first issue comes on way too strong but it turns around in record time

I don't think Cave Carson gets enough credit, it's a crazy fun rollicking adventure

Your girlfriend apparently has better taste than you, Shade is the best YA series

They're all incredible. Give all of them a shot. Here's the objective list of best to worst though
Doom Patrol>Shade>Mother Panic>Bug!>Cave Carson

I find it weird how most of em have little-to-nothing explicit material in them despite the mature rating

Is Mother Panic really that good?

Shade I understand, because the cast is ~16-17 years old, but the others could handle more explicit material (and obviously not MAX levels)

>Your girlfriend apparently has better taste than you
>Shade is the best YA series
If this is the standard for Young Adults these days, it's not shocking society is full of child-adult and numales.
Umbrella academy was great and I'm excited we're getting more (eventually), but Killjoys was a severe disappointment.

Really? I've only been reading Cave and Bug and assumed the latter was just like that because of the Allreds being Mormons. The former is full of butts and giant fungal dicks and titties.

Yes, it just tries a bit too hard to be edgy.

Young Animal, not young adult you chump

>I dislike Allred's art and after flipping through the Forager comic he made and I would say he has the creative limit of a Teenage girl who just discovered Warhol.
You're the fucking pleb m8

Allred's art is like a mediocre joke that has lasted too long. About 20 years too long.
If I wanted characters in full view every panel with some static poses, I'll go to google images.
Just a few artists off the top of my head who understand weight and dynamic storytelling much better than the Allreds; Paul Pope, Mateo Scalera, Duncan Fegredo, James Stokoe, Greg Tocchini, Darwyn Cooke, Jae Lee, Chris Samnee. etc

tl;dr Allred is Anka tier

I love YA so far. Only one that didn't grab me was Mother Panic, but that's mostly because I'm a little burnt-out on Gotham antics right now.

Still waiting on Young Animal Animal Man.

Only reading Forager, Mother Panic and Shade. Plan to read Cave Carson sometime in the future. Unsure about Doom Patrol. Losing interest in Shade though.

Sportmaster's dad is a demon!?

How old are you user? Just wondering.

That's Wild Dog senpai.

Shade is amazing
Doom Patrol is great
Mother Panic dropped the ball when they had that terrible Crystal guy illustrate most of it
Cave Carson wasn't well written enough for me to put up with Oeming
Bug is shallow and building off of Starlin's shittery.

I'm really liking Mother Panic. I like the atmosphere and MC's mother.

having tried them all my ranking is

Shade > Doom Patrol > Cave Carson > Mother Panic > Bug

Mother Panic I really like Violet's character and costume, but the story surrounding her so far is very run of the mill. It could easily be a mainline Bat title and not feel any different, which isn't what I think Young Animal is about in spirit.

Fucking hell, I found the dumbest user on Sup Forums

If you were writing a Young Animal title, what would it be anons? Pitch it ITT.

Doom Patrol is the best one. Way's writing was a pleasant surprise for me. Delays kind of kill the momentum though. Shade is good too, it was losing me early in the second arc but came back around by the end. Cave Carson somehow manages to be really good and kind of mediocre at the same time, and it has the best backup stories.
I'm a little mixed on the other two. Mother Panic is good when the art is good, but the artist I don't like is the one who gets the most issues. Bug! is fun enough but I don't like how the Allred's do jokey dialogue, the jokes fall flat and characters don't have distinct voices sometimes.
It's a really solid imprint overall.

Animal Girl. Buddy Baker decides to finally retire and get a normal job, but that doesn't stop his daughter Maxine from sneaking out at night to fight crime as ANIMAL GIRL.

Would bring back the polyamory angle from the Vertigo series where Buddy has a wife and a girlfriend, and Maxine has to deal with the complicated family dynamic this entails.

By getting a husband and a boyfriend?

We are getting into Milligan's Shade, the Changing Man territory now.

Shade the Changing Girl actually sets up or sets up the seeds of setting up a comparable teen version of the Shade the Changing Man dynamic IMO. Like the Loma x River x Teacup thing is kind of knotted, but Loma is more mature than either of the other two (even if she's not interesting in being so) and assuming the book isn't lolcancelled now I'd be interested in how her realisation of her feelings for tentacle-dude and her acceptance of separation from him played into that dynamic.

Doom Patrol is near-perfect on every level, each member of the creative team is doing an absolutely stellar job. It got me to check out Morrison's run too, so I'm loving it even more.

Shade is just as good as DP. I really enjoy Loma's perspective of Earth and humanity, and it doesn't let itself get weighed down by Milligan's material. Zarcone is a great storyteller, nothing flashy but she knows when to ramp it up at the same time.
Also think it's a great young adults book that teens should be reading.

Cave Carson is kind of mediocre. It has ups and downs, and is poorly served by Oeming's choppy and often lazy art (thankfully Filardi saves his ass). I want this dimension-hopping adventure to be over already so we can get back to sad-dad drama. Backups are fantastic.

I decided to tradewait Mother Panic because I've read enough Bat/Gotham related shit to last me a lifetime. And haven't read Forager because like Allred's art is not my jam. His pop art aesthetic is fine in small doses but lacks weight and subtlety, just way too kitsch.

I'm excited to see what other minis they've lined up next

>not interesting in being so
INTERESTED I meant.

Best thing to come out of Rebirth. Honestly the main line is pretty boring and not very interesting outside of New Super-Man and Deathstroke, so I'm glad Young Animal is doing a nice take on superhero comics

>I dislike Allred's art

Shade>Bug>Doom Patrol> Cave Carson >Mother Panic

Shade is a great companion piece to the Milligan series

Doom Patrol seems to want to continue Morrison's run and keeps the quirkiness but drops the other aspects.

Bug is a really fun callback to the golden age

Cave Carson is a fun adventure but Wild Dog is its biggest draw

Dropped Mother Panic. Another brooding Gotham hero? boring.

It's crazy how much the team on Shade knocks it out of the park compared to so many weird teen books pitched at the same audience.

The only way to resist the demon's mind powers is to be absolutely ripped on weird underground kingdom hallucinogenic drugs. So Wild Dog is tripping out and seeing his dad's face on the bad guys.

Honestly though, I felt that the first five or so issues of Cave Carson didn't have much going for them beyond weird art. I was buying them for the Super Powers backups, and dropped it when they stopped.

I think I'll like Mother Panic more than most people here when I get to it simply because I haven't read anything Gotham-based in a good while.

A Teen Titans series that actually deals with teenage issues like hormones and depression and shit.

Wild Dog, Super Powers and the Secret History of Rocks bakcups are the only real things holding CC up at the moment. I liked the Carson family dynamics at first but all that got waylaid for the uninspired alternate dimension shit that took fucking ages to get to. Wild Dog is at least consistent, I'm secretly hoping he gets a mini of his own at some stage

I've already thought about this, and it would probably be a five-issue PEACEMAKER mini where the killing of an innocent(s) causes the government to pull out of the Peacemaker operation and him going off the deep-end as a result, with the few 'friends' he has in life leaving him alone with his inner demons and the ever-present figure of his SS father haunting and tormenting him. To become the Peacemaker, he must first make peace with himself or some shit

Allred pls leave
Go practice your art because this looks like a first year graphic design student's vector trace'd collage

I really like Doom Patrol and Cave Carson. I haven't read the others. I am surprised at all the Oeming hate, really.

I don't read shade, and i dropped cave carson, but i'm really liking doom patrol. I'm enjoying mother panic too, but I'm like 5 issues behind. It's sort of slow, and if the ones i haven't read yet don't impress me it'll be getting the axe too.

You don't like gigantic, freakish hands?

Exposure to radiation similar to that which first created him forces Vandal Savage to confront his own mortality when he learns that his healing abilities will fade away leaving him only a year to live.

All-Star Savage Man? Nice

Anything involving Adam Strange

Kid Eternity.

A series UB which you focus on the complicated love story between Adam and Alaba and show how their love endures even if they get to spend ibe week together and then have to wait 8 months to see eachither again. The zeta beams don't hit at a regular pace so the time they spend together is never the same. Also show his Adams's earth life keeps falling apart and his miserable he is until he gets zapped back to be the hero of Ran instead of a loser on earth. Make it independent from the rest of the DCU so you can properly show the characters aging.

Sounds really good actually, someone e-mail DC

Holy shit, how retarded are you??

I've been reading Shade and Cave Carson, and they've entertained me so far. They both look great, and told some interesting stories so far, so I'm sticking with them for now. The only knock I have against either of them is that CC has been rushing into dimension-hopping and lots of combat lately, and up until the last issue it was starting to wear thin.

They're also a lot less cloying than what I'm used to, and I find that refreshing. That's my personal issue with a lot of media, and I know it's dumb, but it's the sort of thing that affects my enjoyment of a work, and I've been pleasantly surprised so far. The main stories and the back-ups go into the navel-gazing and story-relevant social commentary that I've come to expect, but both books have been so frank about it that I'm not irritated. I can think about that stuff as concepts instead of clumsy passes at me personally.

I want to check out the other books when I have the time. Since most of the posts seem to favor Doom Patrol, I guess I'll give that a shot next.

It is a little strange, but I suppose it's a sign of restraint on the part of the creative teams.

Love Doom Patrol and Cave Carson

Is Doom Patrol worth reading if I've only read Morrison's run like 7 years ago and no others?

>creative limit of a Teenage girl who just discovered Warhol.

You need to read Madman.

That might be the best option actually. The cast is kind of confused about happened right before Flashpoint (Gillen went meta when it got cancelled).

That is exactly why you should read it.
Way has always been a huge Morrison fanboy, and now he's got his dream job.

Yes

>The Madness of Tenzil Kem
Matter-Eater Lad ate the Miracle Machine. Matter-Eater Lad has gone completely mad. Interned in a secure Earth asylum under the orders of Braniac 5, unimaginable wish-granting power is slowly breaking down in his gut. A visit from Princess Projectra - and a corresponding and lasting hallucinatory fantasy episode - inspires Tenzil to break out and return to his home planet of Bismoll. Where, somehow, he ends up being elected President. The United Planets are (pun intended) royally upset.

I have never read Doom Patrol before, think I'll be confused jumping in the new book?
I intend reading the previous runs sometime, but right now I just don't want to read through the series' history to pick up an ongoing.

I think you can, but you will be confused for the first two issues. Way dumps a lot of exposition in issue 3 (in a really well done way) that should explain the status quo.
I definitely recommend reading Morrison's as quickly as you can around this one though. If you do buy physical stuff, his run just got collected in three thick trades.

Not really. He just likes comics. Morrison inspired had m to write comics though.

Madman is severely overrated
What I can't understand is the artist is very skilled at mimicking the iconic styles of others, but the overall style that he chooses to normally illustrate is below mediocre.
And don't get me started on the dialog. Every now and then long words would be combined in a way that was trying to be intelligent, but came across as douchey.

This is my first Doom Patrol run and I'm liking it a lot, does anyone know anything else like it?

Hellblazer. John Constantine is back and doing his thing in a modern world that's looking more and more like a less fun version of the 80's.

The first Umbrella Academy volume that Way wrote is thematically similar (and Way admits that he was basically trying to do a non-licensed version of Doom Patrol), but the second volume is something a bit more original.

They aren't that good, especially compared to their predecessor ie Vertigo.

>Doom Patrol seems to be the best out of them. It started out bad with cookie cutter stories. It seems to have picked up in the second arc.

>Shade seems to be exclusively written for trade. It has weird pacing. The endings for both arcs feel rushed. The road trip arc was a big let down for me. It starts slow and not much happens with other plots and all of a sudden the side plots are rushed in the final issue.

>There's nothing good about Cave Carson except for the backups. Good idea but awful execution.

>Same for Mother Panic. Shawn Crystal's art made me drop it.

>Bug is old school pulpy fun, but that's it.

Early Vertigo was great because it had great creators with no forced special interconnecting themes between them. YA feels more like the early to mid 90s Vertigo which wasn't doing all that well because it tried to ride the coat tails of those early titles by Moore, Morrison, Gaiman, Delano and Milligan.

DCyou's Constantine the Hellblazer had a feeling of a modern day version of the original Hellblazer. I'm not talking about the quality, but just the feeling of it.

you know early to mid-90s is when most of the most famous Vertigo series were at their peak, right? Like Shade the Changing Man, The Invisibles, Sandman Mystery Theatre, and Ennis Hellblazer all started in the 90s and Doom Patrol and Sandman were just kicking shit into high gear

I read the first trade of Shade after putting it off, the first issue left me a little cold after reading it when it first came out, but the book really does get better after a weak issue or two. Although it might be one of those situations where it reads better in trade compared to single issues.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hD1VvSS3dlc

I eagerly await the day linking D&C is an autoban for spam

Putting Shawn Chrystal on the same book as Tommy lee Edwards and Jean Pul Leon was the dumbest decision ever

A lot of titles and sub imprints didn't take off after Vertigo became an imprint for horror/magic niche. Visions, Scarab, post Morrison Animal Man and Doom Patrol, 90s Swamp Thing floundered badly. After Sandman, stuff like Invisibles and Preacher is what really made Vertigo take off.

who's this butthurt fag and why should I care

That screencap is unironically right. what the fuck is harassing someone going to do to make them change?

Verigo didn't even exist until the early-mid 90ss and even then one if the first minis for it was Enigma. You're talking out if your ass.

You know what I mean. Books under Karen Berger's editorial eventually formed Vertigo. You're just arguing for the sake of argument.

Looks identical to the exact same kitschy, edgy-for-the-sake-of-being-edgy shit that Vertigo used to put out back in the nineties. Are Big Johnson shirts, Beanie Babies and Surge back in style, too?

Oooh, looky! Profanity in a comic book! So deep and grownup! I am SOOO glad the 90s are back in comic form with Young Animal.

Other than Doom Patrol, it's all pretty shit.

Cave Carson is in desperate need of a better artist. Its supposed to be a crazy adventure, but the art is very pedestrian and brings it down.

I'm not sure how you can zero in on Allred when garbage like Oeming exists.

Shade>Cave>Mother Panic. Not interested in Bug!, still need to try Doom Patrol. Overall though, YA doesn't feel any different and none of them make me want to keep reading. Does Shade ever stop revolving around highschool girl troubles?
>If you were writing a Young Animal title
Just pick up where Morrison left off with Zatanna and Misty from Seven Soldiers. That shit was fun non-stop.

Do you think the sales of the books can keep them afloat though?

>Does Shade ever stop revolving around highschool girl troubles?

Yes.

Okay, Mr. Way. You are a shit musician, but a nice editor. Most of the books are good. Just calm your autism

>allred art is not my jam.
ultra-pleb. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Mine is DP (albeit I am a biased X-fag)>Shade>Bug>Cave>Mother Panic (2batman4 me)

the strength of young animal is that it's a new impring, just like vertigo used to be, but without the baggage. they don't have a stinker yet

It's not strange. Explicit material tends to be very juvenile. Mature themes are themes that will bore the teenager, but interest a sophisticated adult

This nigga knows whats brewing up

Yes, albeit you are an ultra pleb

>hasn't read the books
>comments on the quality

Sad!

Madman is overrated, but Atomics isn't.
Atomics was a spiritual continuation of X-statix, it even had unused x-statix characters

>I'll be confused jumping in the new book?
Yes. But if you're not a total faggot, you will get it. Eventually

Seargant Rock and the Creature Comandos
a psychadelic horror War story

What you wrote is better than 101% of marvel

there aren't any profanities. the books are mild when compared to vertigo, but this is why they are strong, they don't try hard to be edgy, they just tell a story

Doom Patrol is in the top 3 DC publications right now along with Mister Miracle and Deathstroke

It's not like the writer is killing it on the book.