Alan Moore's Supreme

Skipping 41 issues of stupid to jump right into the good stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BdIev12fCPs
imgur.com/a/wxVbr
alanmooreworld.blogspot.com/2014/05/joe-bennett-supreme-artist.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My understanding is this is less Miracleman/Watchmen and more WHTTMOT, except where that was very Schwartz influenced, this is Mort Weisenger.

Cover is obviously a take on Superman #1 by Joe Shuster in 1939... which is odd because you'd think they'd do a take on Superman #11 where Weisenger came on, the famous cover of Superman breaking a bunch of chains he was tied up in.

Holy shit from the very first page this feels like classic Superman storytelling. Moore really nailed it.

Except for the fact that it's summarizing plots of previous Lifeld/Brian Murray issues.

Friendly reminder to stop at issue 63.

Don't gotta tell me twice. No way am I touching that shit. And I actually like Larsen

I wonder what super-powered rodent this is supposed to be

"Sister Supreme", haha I love it

youtube.com/watch?v=BdIev12fCPs

Is this Asgard?

He kills off one of the cutest, more innocent characters and brings back the original edgy Supreme. That's all I'll say.

>Supreme with Kyle Rayner headpiece and Liefeld hair
>60's
huh

I'm all for the inevitably coming 90's comics revival but come the fuck on. Some things don't need to come back.

holy shit the art is terrible

Yeah, and it only gets better during the second half, although there are some flashback portions with decent art as well.

It does kind of take away from the classic feel of the characters.

imgur.com/a/wxVbr

Joe Bennett really wishes he could go back and redo it since he wasn't really fond of drawing Image-style:

alanmooreworld.blogspot.com/2014/05/joe-bennett-supreme-artist.html

'41 was when Weisenger took over as editor and when the Fleischer cartoons came out, adding flight to Superman's powers.

That cover alone is amazing.

Can't say I'm really sure what the "rubbing the belt buckle" is referencing, except maybe Captain Marvel, but he appeared after Superman. Sergeants Supreme are obviously Lieutenant Marvels.

Best reading order is Moore's Run - Blue Rose - New Youngblood

I think it fits the aesthetic contrast

Sirius the Superhorse is Comet from Supergirl.

I think it was really just a way to distinguish him from Superman. He probably did combine it with Captain Marvel, Simon and Kirby's The Fly, and other things, so it's not an exact imitation of one thing. Giffen even draws 10-year-old Ethan to look like a Kirby-designed character.

Didn't even know about Blue Rose, adding that to my folder.

Really?

Well it's damn good.

I never really saw his style as part of the Extreme house style, it looks pretty different to me

Hell, even Battlin' Baron gets to be multiple things as well.

Is there a particular reason this has never gotten released in digital? Legal issues with Awesome?

I know that the Stephen Platt Fighting American stuff was repurposed Captain America pages, but it makes me wonder if Moore came up with Blake Baron first, or they told him they're going to come up with a Nick Fury character (because Fury was in the unreleased pages) and to ask Moore to flesh him out.

I also wonder if Moore made Blake Baron the way he is as a nod to how Strange Tales used to run Doctor Strange and Nick Fury comics, and Blake Baron is kind of a fusion of the two.

In digital OR in a modern TPB, that is

Probably not that given they printed Moore's last issue years later and Blue Rose/Youngblood take the central concepts from it.

That seems like a reasonable assumption, given Baron's use as a Fury-type had withered.

I guess they don't have everything to digitize yet. I remember the Checker reprints looked like they simply scanned directly from the comics instead.

The checker trades are godawful

I really adore how Moore just involved himself in this derivative Liefeld universe, said "fuck everything" and made it his own.

Judgment Day is a masterpiece of what you just said

>Warrior Woman
I feel like Moore was making all his Wondie expies "warriors" before even Kingdom Come, though this was the same year as it I think.

Was this before Moore's WildCATs and Glory?

Also this reminds me of how Gruenwald's Cap worked for Marvel and drew the Captain America comic.

Glory is the WW expy, Warrior Woman is the fictional comic book expy, like how Omniman is also just a comic book character.

Was this before or after Judgment Day?

Judgment Day happens in the middle of the run or thereabouts.

Should I include that in this storytime? I'm planning on doing Youngblood in the future too.

Glory was after. I think he did only one or two issues before Awesome folded. In the time that Awesome was down Moore went and made a deal with Jim Lee to do America's Best Comics.

I think supposedly some of the stuff he planned to do on Glory he brought with him and repurposed for Promethea and some things he planned to do on Youngblood he incoporated into Top 10 (though I don't know how).

Blue Rose is legitimately one of the worst comics I have ever read. It's Warren Ellis trying to court the SJW crowd without any of the good things about Ellis' writing style

If you want. It's more of Moore's grand design for his planned direction for the Extreme/Awesome Universe than anything else.

Which is why when I storytime Supreme I usually stick it at the end.

Oh, so this is where they stole the idea for the Council of Ricks from.

That kind of thing is actually why I do like R&M, it appeals to all the multiverse stuff I love from comics

I thought they were borrowing from the Council of Reeds.

I can't wait until we get to the supremium paradox

I can't wait until the ballad of Bill Hickock

Dunkin' Donuts was so ridiculously popular in New York, people would probably rather miss a day of work than miss their coffee from DD. But here in Texas there's like one in my entire city. So strange. Apparently they tried to build a bunch down here some years ago and most went out of business.

And of course K-ZAM is WHIZ Radio from Captain Marvel.

"Blue Rose" has been ruined for me because of /tpg/

Maybe this'll turn out to be Judy editing film clips together like the first Wonder Woman "Impossible Day" where Wonder Tot, Girl and Woman "teamed up"

Eddie Vedder wrote a song about how Supreme is never getting his mind back. Pic related is Negative Supreme.

I hate this mindset honestly. Moore is a great writer, and his Supreme is a really well-written comic, but his best runs (on his non-creator-owned stuff) take the strengths of what he's writing, cut to the core of what makes them appealing and expands upon the core ideas by pushing them in new directions. You see this best in his Swamp Thing and WildCATs. He understood those titles and improved them.

Coming in, throwing out everything so it fits the story you want to tell is hacky and lazy and disrespectful to the existing fans of the book, and that's what he did with the Extreme universe. Again his run on Supreme is very good, certainly better than anything that came before him on the title. But he gets away with a lot that a different writer on a higher-profile title wouldn't get away with.

does every moore book use written first person narraors?

As far as I can remember only this and Watchmen do.

Very true.

The only lip service/one-off reasoning that old fans would have been able to grasp onto would have been the reference to Loki in the first issue of Moore's run.

Muh inferior waifu Imra

That's a good point that being destructive is never better than being constructive. Possibly hypocritical of me but I make an exception in this case because Liefeld himself didn't seem to even give a shit about this stuff and either him or Stephenson hired Moore specifically to revamp it all in any way he wanted.

he also did it in his lovecraft comics

Nah, that was relegated to the back-ups

>wench
Rude

Ah fuck, I totally forgot about The Courtyard in that last post.

Liefeld let himself get trampled on in Judgment Day to say the least.

Reminds me as much of the Night Shift from Gruenwald's Cap as it does the Legion

I was a huge Lovecraft nut in high school, I really should read those as well.

Courtyard is Mediocre, Neonomicon is shit, but if you were a Lovecraft nut then Providence is fantastic.

I think in Moore's case, he seems to give an effort to add more than he takes away. There are other writers I can think of that trash things that came before they started writing, but don't really make up for it either because they didn't incorporate enough or what they added was weak.

And, I think it's neat but that's me, that Moore's all out revision gives total license to trash everything he does as well.

Providence is the one I've heard the most good things about, HOORD memes aside.

Well, if you want to it you gonna have to read all three anyway.

How's Moore's prose? I saw a very thick combo-case at indigo recently

You know what they say about big hands

Lovecraft fandom lead me to read some complete trash anyway so won't be anything new for me

It's good. I got a pre-release edition from a friend.

Is this implying Jurgens is secretly Superman