Earth One

Are the Earth One books aside from Teen Titans any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

www74.zippyshare.com/v/4hYI7Fo8/file.html
www113.zippyshare.com/v/S2G9tJUQ/file.html
mega.nz/#!hjARiLxD!K7hy4aXUf-VDXUIm0WoSOILlvivrJqmSOqqv2EeFg90
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Only Wonder Woman is good. Batman is ok. Superman is shit.

>Earth One TT
>Good
Waht.

Elaborate?

Batman is fucking hilarious. Johns fucking hates Bats and it's just fantastic.

What was wrong with Batman? I liked it, it was a "realistic" take on Batman and he became competent in book 2 or are you mad he wasn't batgod from the start?

>are you mad

not even a little, it was refreshing. I'm sick of "hyper-competent from day one Bats," this was amazing. He's brain damaged or some shit and I couldn't stop smiling the whole way through.

Batman is worth it for the sheer asshurt from Batfags it produces. It's fucking hilarious, basically treating the "Batman is just a regular human like me XD" meme completely straight.

WW is bad, a bunch of weird shit that doesn't really make me care about Diana.

Murderman is fun for the same reason as Batman, it produces a lot of asshurt. A shame JMS will never finish it. I don't like how they rehashed Vol 1 in Vol 3, Supes fights a Kryptonian again and it's pretty boring.

Same. It's nice to see someone treat Batman's retarded rules as actually being retarded rules. Alfred is the best he's ever been in Earth One though, I love that version of him.

It's different, from the other Earth One books - which is WHAT they were supposed to be - not simply a slightly different take on the regular comics themselves.

The real problem with v1 is that it reads as too much of an arc, when you should have at least completed their story, the way the other three books did in one volume. You have to read v1 AND v2 to really get the story and even then TT still doesn't really end the story.

>Batman's retarded rules
What retarded rules, Plus the book isn't good lets be serious Batman act like a mental retard in the book dude just casually messed up a crime seen a 5 year old would know better

>What retarded rules, Plus the book isn't good lets be serious Batman act like a mental retard in the book dude just casually messed up a crime seen a 5 year old would know better

>What retarded rules? Plus the book isn't good. Let's be serious, Batman acts like a mental retard in the book. Dude just casually messed up a crime scene. A 5 year old would know better.

Unless you're Earth One Bruce Wayne, do better next time.

Ok, thanks for correcting my shaky grammar you mind answering the question now.

>Ok, thanks for correcting my shaky grammar. Would you mind answering the question now?

It's not hard.

>Would you mind answering the question now?
That was a command not a question fella.

Teen Titans is just lame.

WW is full sjw bullshit, but they actually make it pretty hilarious, it is presented as "lol ancient civilization who has different values". Not really worth its money IMO, unless you are into that.

Batman is hilarious because it actually treats Bruce as a moron who trained how to fight, puts on a cowl, and goes to town, but knows fuck all about how the world works, what to do on a crime scene, etc. He is a guy who put on a batsuit, not the master detective. But they make it a point that he is learning all that.

Superman is surprisingly good, again it is just a guy with little experience of how the world works, but it works better because as Clark that is a real part of his personality.

Superman - Earth One Vol. 1 (2010) (digital) (Minutemen-PhD)
www74.zippyshare.com/v/4hYI7Fo8/file.html

Superman - Earth One Vol. 2 (2012) (Hul-konnen-DCP)
www113.zippyshare.com/v/S2G9tJUQ/file.html

>Alfred is the best he's ever been in Earth One though, I love that version of him.

yup

>A shame JMS will never finish it.

JMS claimed that it was only ever meant to be a trilogy but the way he set up FemLuthor belays that. Supposedly, DC is trying to figure out a way to get someone of note to continue it but most (all?) people they've reached out to so far want to start up their own mythology.

The guy who wrote Strange Visitor for DC, for the digital first Adventures of Superman, Keatinge, said he had an entire concept for spinning off from that three parter. They should just reprint that story and let him continue onward and do some variation on the title, Superman Earth One - The Golden Age, vol. 1 and let him do it, in the same fashion - with a collection of artists versus one single artists, as the story might call for it.

> I don't like how they rehashed Vol 1 in Vol 3, Supes fights a Kryptonian again and it's pretty boring.

Actually, the first guy wasn't a Kryptonian, just from the same solar system. But you got a fair point.

How so? Motherfucker was graceless and without charm. I can only assume that its because he was "tough" but regular Alfred is ex-military too. He pops out hey'ole Shotgun when necessary.

Not the original user, and you should probably ask him, since he's the one who came up with the specific wording.

I liked the fact that Johns (who I think is mostly a fan fiction hack who got lucky and spends way too much getting his 'ideas' from the TV Tropes website/wikia) actually did what DC mandated: he created a different take from the then (and recent) canon Bruce AND also took this logically to Alfred.

I like him in the same fashion as I like how they changed Alfred in Gotham, making him younger, which on it's own really changes the character. AND this is from someone who saw the first three episodes and then just caught bits and pieces of S1. I've tried watching the random episodes, and can't so I'm not recommending the show, just their initial take on Alfred.

He's a really interesting person and it's rare that the comics do much more than treat him like Bruce's all-purpose slave. This is why when there is a Alfred Does The Best Snark To Bruce threads they get so many hits and so much love on this site. Sure, you can find 25-35 such panels but that's out of thousands of Batman and Batman related comics. You can find hundreds upon hundreds of images of Lois treating Clark unlike a god in comparison.

Finally, it's why I thought Alfred was the best part (of an otherwise regrettable and unfortunate first cinematic pairing of Bruce and Clark) in BvS.

Awright, this is off topic, but this has been driving me nuts for years. When they were doing Earth One Superman, did someone at DC _want_ him to look _exactly_ like Alex Mercer from Prototype, or was it just the mother of all coincidences? Since I gotta say, I'm not sure what message they were trying to send by decking out Supes like a shapeshifting cannibal.

>I'm not sure what message they were trying to send by decking out Supes like a shapeshifting cannibal.

For what its worth, Mercer dressed like the mother of all hipsters, so it's not some kind of "special" outfit or anything, he looks like some random guy from a northern metropolitan setting.

>DC mandated: he created a different take from the then (and recent) canon Bruce AND also took this logically to Alfred.
I can't help but think that John's thought he was doing the lords work with Earth One like this is how Batman was meant to be. I wonder if he is upset that the only people who like it are anti-Batfags? I bet he thought it was going to be hailed as the new Year One, oh the irony.
I think the reason John's resent batman is because he will never "Rebirth" him and have a run or book on the character that is considered great. He seem that petty to me.

>What retarded rules,
>Killing is EVILLLLL
>Beating someone to the point of unconsciousness and leaving them for the cops is ok

You're projecting a lot. That's just not really his personality. Johns is a simple guy, just writes according to what he thinks would be "cool" or "badass" without the malice you're suggesting.

>Actually, the first guy wasn't a Kryptonian, just from the same solar system.
True, but he was basically Zod, which makes it all the more redundant when Zod actually shows up but he's Clark's uncle, except no one cares.
>JMS claimed that it was only ever meant to be a trilogy but the way he set up FemLuthor belays that.
Yeah that's bullshit. He was also supposed to write Flash: Earth One, but that hasn't happened either. Dude either got phased out or just dropped everything. Kinda sucks since I want to see FemLuthor or Metallo but whatever.

He announced that he was quitting comics a while ago.

Mercer is just your classic 00s edgelord, that's the look they were going for.

Now I'm thinking of how Mercer would be a great villain for Supes.

>John's resent batman is because he will never "Rebirth" him and have a run or book on the character that is considered great.
You're assuming how Batfags on Sup Forums feel about it is norm. That's incorrect, Batfags love Earth One, and Johns doesn't do shit to have an "impact" he does shit he thinks is cool.

Yep but was it his choice or was he "encouraged"? Guess it doesn't matter either way, JMS is such a weird dude, he's such a contradiction. Sup Forums talks about how people going from Marvel to DC get better but that's not true for JMS. He got worse, much worse, which sucks because the dude loves Superman.

Some people basically should never get to write characters they love. They lose ability to look objectively at their work and engage in realizing their childhood fantasies.

I mean we're talking AU series and he's an industry vet. His books still sold fine. If anything maybe he felt like he wasn't producing good stuff and decided to walk, but it's not a situation where I'd think he was pressured to leave. No way to know I guess.

TT sucked (didnt read the sequel)
Loved Superman
Liked the Batman (the second was better)
Wondy was boring as fuck.

Dunno about the rest, is there more?

Nothing else is out yet, they solicited Green Lantern for early next year. And Johns keeps saying Batman v3 will be out soon, but I don't know if he and Frank finished it already or if it's on the backburner while they do Doomsday Clock.

Oh and also Manapul is supposed to be doing Aquaman but he said it was pushed back while he was doing Trinity. The speculation there is that they might be waiting to release it closer to the movie.

>I mean we're talking AU series and he's an industry vet.
I was talking more about Grounded. I enjoyed his EO Superman because it's an AU like you said.

Well yeah, I think he definitely was kicked off that.

Superman - Earth One Vol. 3 (2015) (webrip) (Windbreaker-DCP)
mega.nz/#!hjARiLxD!K7hy4aXUf-VDXUIm0WoSOILlvivrJqmSOqqv2EeFg90

Personally, unlike the other two responses (and you were responding to my comment about Alfred), I do think Johns wants his head canon to be, if not "THE canon," the certainly be placed in the pantheon of great runs. He's lucky - some people do seriously consider him this, especially on some of his runs. But many others, especially post One Year Later and definitely by and after New 52, just think he's a talented fan fiction writer, who got lucky to get hired to do what he wanted to do for a living. Now, don't me wrong. Personally, I also agree with what Gaiman once said, all the people who come after the originators ARE fan fiction writers - they are just, as he noted, considered "professionals" in part, because they are being "paid" to do it.

The problem isn't that >Johns is a simple guy, just writes according to what he thinks would be "cool" or "badass" |
>Johns doesn't do shit to have an "impact" he does shit he thinks is cool.

the problem is that Johns fan fiction for the past few years (his run on Aquaman, Justice League - in particular: Trinity War/Forever Evil and Darkseid War) and his short arc on Superbro are all based on him spending time (as he himself admitted) chatting up the former DC historian/librarian, reading a few old issues, or what he remembers from being a kid and reading these characters, and then from the worse kinds of ideas he gets (in the same fashion as your average tumblr/Live Journal/Dreamwidth fan fic writer) from click-jumping on TV Tropes.

He has no imagination or creativity. He can't even do what Snyder is currently doing, aping Morrison, in Metal, because at least (like him or not) Snyder has his own distinct style. He can even manage what Mark Miller has become: sure you know his stuff are just padded out movie pitches with beautiful art because of the 50/50 split with the pencilers/inkers/colorists - but at least they are always entertaining. Johns can be entertaining, but it's forgettable.

>Dude either got phased out or just dropped everything.

Not to defend JMS because I think he hasn't been able to manage a good comic run for over a decade.

>he was quitting comics
>Yep but was it his choice or was he "encouraged"?
>f anything maybe he felt like he wasn't producing good stuff and decided to walk, but it's not a situation where I'd think he was pressured to leave. No way to know I guess.

and I can't remember the specific details, but JMS either had an accident or an illness, but apparently it's impacted how he can work. I'm not sure again of the exact details (and maybe they specific particulars were never publicly released) but the problem is that while he's still working, for whatever reason, his health problems keep him from comic book scripts. I'm not exactly sure (knowing for example what happened with Howard Porter) how someone can write some kind of stuff and not others, as a matter of health. But I'm going to accept it as face value because I know DC would still hire/pay JMS for more Earth One books if he could manage them.

It could be that he gets paid more for story ideas for live action (or he can makes enough that he can dictate to some intern who can do the mechanical work necessary to turn a story into a script and pay them for it and comic books don't pay enough for that - not sure, these are just guesses, all I know for certain is that it was publicly disclosed that it was health reasons that kept him out of comics books post about 2011/12.

>Wondy was boring as fuck.

Some people really loved it, I remember when it was story-times and when it came out. Personally, being that I liked Morrison, I was disappointed because it was not as good or what I expected (which wasn't something specific but definitely not what we got). I can see how you think boring, but I would use that word if I was getting paid to do a review.

>the rest

There was supposed to be a Flash book by now, it's already been assigned to someone, not JMS. I think it's Manapul and he'd been doing the script, pencils and maybe even the inking and coloring, so a bit understandable but not sure.

They do want to do more. Not sure what the problem is, other than the move to Burbank in 2016, and the other drama. Not sure why they didn't just do either Adam's Coming of the Superman as Earth One, or what's his name's American Alien, or the Supergirl prestige book (which is essentially an Elseworld) as Earth One, since they have the imprint. And it brings in people to buy (plus bookstores make the point of carrying it, I've even seen it at Target so that means Walmart and other stores like that are carrying it, not just LCS).

Oh is it Arthur? I thought he was doing Barry Allen/Flash.

So who took over for Flash E1?

They haven't said yet iirc. I wouldn't be surprised if they just make Morrison's Multiversity Too into the Flash EO book though.