Static Shock is how you do a superhero story about a minority correctly...

Static Shock is how you do a superhero story about a minority correctly. His primary character trait is being a hero; not being black.

I thought his primary trait was him being ghetto.

Static was ahead of his time. But unfortunately his complicated Milestone rights and a shit New 52 book have kept him from getting good exposure

His culture is African American, but that's not his character anymore than the primary character trait of a white character being white.

isn't he also jewish? (I swear I remember his family celebrating Hannukah, which is basically the only place it came up)

Shame that his rouges gallery was so shit.

I feel like the biggest problem to this series was its underpowered villains in relation to static.

When someone had a power that was greater than or an outright counter to static, they were already good or would reform.

Richie was jewish I believe
Get a load of the powerlevel faggot here

>Richie is Jewish.
I doubt it, specially since its father episode being a complete cunt racist, Jews don't allow that kind of of representation if it's not made as a comical material.

No his friend Frieda was Jewish.

No, he spent the holidays celebrating with all of his friends
Hanukkah with Frieda
Kwanzaa with Daisy
And I think Ramadan with someone

There was even an interfaith service at the end

I'm really sick and tired of seeing people saying "The way you do it right is he just happens to be black."

All these new characters just happen to be black too and you're still complaining about them because you just want to push some agenda whining about "white erasure."

His villains were cool. Did you forget about Ebon ? He was awesome.

Ah. thank you. Now I remember.

Made a lot of sense since his dad ran the community center.

To be fair, Static's powerset was insanely broken. While he primarily focuses on electricity, as I recall Static's basically got Magneto's powerset and he basically has the extent of knowledge a high schooler could have on just what electromagnetism can do, meaning his power is basically "control half of physics."

It's really no wonder the Justice League was looking into him while he was still in high school.

Marvel is more guilty of this than DC. Duke Thomas is just shit because Snyder created him, and Marvel characters like Riri and Miles are just poorly written altogether.
Ebon was cool, but rather pathetic once you think about it. Given all that power and still has low bar ambitions of running a ghetto

>supervillain is a black guy
>the name he chooses is literally just "Black"

Static really is one of the best black superheroes. I wish DC/Milestone would do something with him again.

Ebon was the fucking embodiment of being a nigger.

>Had every opportunity to do good
>Chose to do petty shit with it
>Kept trying to drag down others to his level
>Had no grasp on his own culture (American or African)
>Had no ambitions beyond petty shit

You're pretty dumb if you think a big part of Virgil's character doesn't surround him being black or coming from a black family.

Gee thanks for bringing the uncalled for racist shit onto Sup Forums, I can tell you're a thin-lipped white guy.

But his costume sucks now. He was a lot cooler with the brown coat and the Malcom X hat.

>Given all that power and still has low bar ambitions of running a ghetto
That's most of the shows villains. So much power, so little ambition.

I'm pretty sure DC has wanted to do a bunch of stuff with Static for a while but they and Milestone don't get along well enough.
There's no doubt in my mind that when and if DC & Milestone work something out Static will be the first hero brought back or the first to get his own series.

>Given all that power and still has low bar ambitions of running a ghetto
Seems like typical nigga shit

>Thin-lipped
actually I always thought of myself as kinda fat-lipped. Also Asian.

Still, Ebon just seems like a ball of negative stereotypes when you think about it. (I guess it was sort of the point though, he's the darkness to contrast to... pretty much everyone else.)

>now
You realize this redesign was like 20 years ago.

thats straight up a garbage design

Fuck off. Raincoat Static looked like shit

Ebon was perhaps the worst representation the black community could imagine. Stop getting triggered over a word and accept Ebon was a fucking thug

I think its because in that area Ebon is one of the more powerful intimidating meta-humans. Outside of it? There's so many villains that would wipe the floor with him in minutes, some that don't even have powers.

That design is really outdated now and everyone agrees that it's his worst costume. This is one his best costumes.

>That's most of the shows villains. So much power, so little ambition.
Like a lot of Spider-Man villains, which works since Static is the closest DC/Milestone has to a Spider-Man counterpart.

My favorite is the "there's no reason for him to be black (or gay, or a women, or any other non-white male character). There's no reason for anyone to be anything related to race, sexuality, or gender. It's just who you are.

Uh, what? Deadpool?

not to mention Ebon's weakness was... Well, weak.

>Turn up lights REALLY REALLY BRIGHT.

As a random flipside, wasn't hotshot kind of a bunch of negative white-stereotypes in one villain as well? I think they even confirmed he was originally trailer trash.

Okay, you got me there. Either way i dont like this design.
No, its a lot more fitting for a hero who's supposed to be from the streets. His powers put him above street level but his old costume gave him that vibe that he was still just using what little resources he had at his disposal for a costume.

From what I recollect, Hot Streak was trailer trash, racist, and a closet gay

Deadpool is Marvel and actually a parody of DC's own Wade Wilson AKA Deathstroke. Or at least started as such.

>Deadpool
Deadpool isn't DC.

I like the symbol. But am not a fan of the yellow on the pants, and i dunno just something about the purple and yellow on his jackets doesnt sit well with me.

So shit taste then?

I'm gonna need some examples of those stereotypes because he felt like your generic school thug, just turned up a notch to me

eh, fair enough. I mean he did often seem more like Nelson Muntz with super powers.

I really hope they him in Black Lightning's new show.

Because they are both black and electricity powers?

Duh.
Hell the people who make the show basically want Static there because of that.

He also has complete control over it. He can channel it out if any part of his body.

Robbie was great too, no "have I mentioned I'm hispanic today", no random hispanic words either, while also having enough distinction from the classic Ghost Rider.

(You)

>"mi gente"

On top of that, people are just bitching about this shit because it's new and they insist every new character is some shitty OC, when shitty OCs is literally the only consistent features of comics.

Can you imagine people in the 1920s bitching at Reed Richards or whatever because "We already have Doc Savage! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"

get the fuck over yourselves

To each his own user.
In my eyes, it is you who has the shit taste.

Because it would be cool to see Black Lightning being a mentor figure to Static.

Pretty much this.

I would watch the fuck out of a new Static show. Sans the fucking celebrity appearences

>there's no reason for him to be black (or gay, or a women, or any other non-white male character)
just like there's no reason to replace an existing character who happens to be a white male with woman or poc, or alter a character's race/sex in an adaptation.

Meh. I don't hate Robbie but I hate his Ghost Rider design and I can't get into it because of that.

>There was even an interfaith service at the end
>interfaith service
???
I hope this isn't a thing, might as well get everyone on a chanting circle and smoke peyote at that point

Wasn't that the point? The ghetto trapped him like it does everyone who tires to live by it's rules.

He one tried to block the sun in a bid for complete conquest

But similar stuff like that has been happening for ages now. There have been hundreds orgin story changes, alt universes, personality changes, and costume redesigns done throughout comic history. Why does their skin color matter? Would you complain if it was the other way around?

My god that book sucked.

>Wade Wilson
SLADE Wilson, user.

I blame Hudlin and his crazy meddling.

>tfw your only good costume is from the second season of your TV show.

Seriously, it's absurd.

Exactly, so random people can think that Static is Black Lightning's son and in result annoy them both.

> Tradd
To this day I refuse to believe Luther Strode wasn't just Robert Kirkman writing a self parody for shits and giggles

>Ebon was cool, but rather pathetic once you think about it. Given all that power and still has low bar ambitions of running a ghetto

that sounds pretty realistic to me. if you people on Sup Forums got 'superpowers' the best most of us would use them for is hat tricks at parties and not becoming some sort of vigilante paragon of justice

Speaking of Kirkman, how did this dude draw an entire comic book without people being bisected and gouts of ketchup on every page

das riiiight

t. cracker

Its blue and yellow. There isn't any purple.

Tradd's art in Strange Talent and, to a lesser extent, Legend, is great, but yeah. The writing is abysmal.

>Kirkman doesn't draw and he wasn't involved in this comic. And Ryan Ottley isn't at fault for Kirkman's love of gore.

It was supposed to be two lines.

>His primary character trait is being a hero; not being black.
I don't know what the fuck gave you this idea.

Have you ever heard of Milestone before?

You must have skipped those early episodes of the show.

> Given all that power and still has low bar ambitions of running a ghetto

Some of the best villains have low ambitions.

I really hate the way people at Image are encouraged to depict mass gore, especially in Kirkman books. It just looks shitty. Ottley doesn't really do it outside of Invincible and it doesn't seem like most of the other guys who do work over there do either.

Just the way blood cakes and constantly looks like jelly is so garbage.

Milestone was really good at making black superheroes who's characters didn't revolve around being black they just happen to be black.

Probably has something to do with being made by black people whose character, what a surprise, wasn't revolving around being black.

>As a random flipside, wasn't hotshot kind of a bunch of negative white-stereotypes in one villain as well? I think they even confirmed he was originally trailer trash.

In the show he was a basic school bully. In the comics he was a white supremacist who tried to dress, speak and rap like black people.

>they just happen to be black.
At least for static, being black was pretty damn important. You couldn't just recolor him and have the same character. Being black was a vital part of his character, just not in a shallow way.

That's why we have Young Justice.

>that racism episode

Face it. If Static Shock came out today people would call it SJW.

this is true, and the fact that his racial identity is both important and not a moralfagging virtue signaling cringefest is why he's so rare in the medium.

what?

It was a shit show full of fucking unbearable "morals"

>Face it. If Static Shock came out today people would call it SJW.

This.

user it's capeshit. The DCAU shit is easy to throw together. It's a shirt a jacket mask and some goggles.

I want him to show up in a episode and than get a spin off show from it .

You're letting nostalgia blind you. His show, and indeed his entire creation, was about having a superhero who dealt with issues that actual black kids deal with every day, a character that they could actually relate to and learn how to be better people from.

"Guy who just happens to be white" is a type of character only white people believe in because they either get easily triggered by black people or are wannabe progressives. If you're black, it colors your entire life experience, no exceptions. People are going to see you differently and you're going to see the world differently. Of course, EVERYONE is born with different cultural backgrounds that color their experiences, and incorporating that into your characters is important no matter what race they are.

People like McDuffie and Priest are the ones who were best with this, who made black characters that reflected a black experience without being "woe is me".

Of course, not every black character needs to be constantly dealing with black issues, but it's something that should always be at the back of your mind when writing a black character. And some characters like Static are all about exploring a black perspective.

>Milestone was really good at making black superheroes who's characters didn't revolve around being black they just happen to be black.

I'm tired of people thinking that if a character's race isn't the ONLY thing going for them then their race is irrelevant.

Milestone characters have a lot going on other than their race but they don't "just happen" to be black. Their race is an important part of their character.

Icon spent his first years on Earth as a slave in the south. He's a black neocon and his character arc involves him living through slavery, the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement and realizing that racism is still a big deal even after all that progress. The first issue basically ended with saying Superman has white privilege.

One of the reasons Hotstreak targeted Static was because Static was black and Hotstreak was a white supremacist. There was a 2 issue arc of dealing with tensions between the black and Jewish communities.

Hardware's origin is partly a metaphor for the glass ceiling keeping black people from reaching their full potential in the corporate world. Part of the reason he's is so arrogant and is Milestone's designated "angry black man" is because he grew up an outcast as a working class black kid in a school full of rich preppy white kids.

And it's not just race. Blood Syndicate had gay and trans characters 20 years before it became trendy. Fade being gay strained his relationship with his father and made his feelings about Tech-9's death and "revival" even more complicated. Masquerade being a transman made it harder for him to trust anyone else in the Syndicate and the fear of being outed made him constantly on-edge and he overcompensated by being angry and aggressive all the time.

>Would you complain if it was the other way around?
Yes, plenty of people bitched about Gods of Egypt for that very reason.

>All these new characters just happen to be black too and you're still complaining about them because you just want to push some agenda whining about "white erasure."
They also happen to be replacing white heroes, but I'm sure people complaining about them is just because they're coloreds and not because they're replacing heroes people actually like with literally who, gary stues/mary sues.

>Static on Young Justice
HIRE THIS MAN

user he was on it last season. Shit user Icon was in Season 1

>transman made it harder for him to trust anyone else in the Syndicate and the fear of being outed made him constantly on-edge and he overcompensated by being angry and aggressive all the time.
Mtf or Ftm?