Why is weed treated like a huge pressing political issue by Americans?

Why is weed treated like a huge pressing political issue by Americans?

It really isn't.
Legalize medical, leave recreational up to the states.
Also take the feds our of that whole business, and if you wanna go the extra mile legalize growing and crack down on illegal sellers.

Legalize all recreational use of drugs, but don't have tax funded problems to "rehabilitate" them. Let the degenerates ruin their life so long as they don't ruin mine.

I don't get it either. But I also don't use weed, so it's never been an issue for me.

Its not that huge. It sucks to see innocent people go to jail for smoking some weed though.

It's an easy issue to engage with
There is a lot of money involved (government spending, potential tax revenue, dollars leaving to Mexico)
The prison system being full
And some people just want to smoke the weedstuff

Reminder that it's literally cheaper to get a "medical" marijuana card than it will be to buy weed if this prop is passed and to vote no on this garbage + any other new (or continuation of a temporary) tax in Commiefornia.

Also vote no on 63.

because weed isn't that big of a deal but you can get royally fucked for using/purchasing it as an adult while you can legally kill yourself by going out any day of the week and buying 50$ worth of alcohol. Or slowly develop lung cancer by smoking cigs.

>ITT dude weed lmaos
Friendly reminder that if you artificially escape life via mind altering substances you're lower than degenerate and need to commit seppuku for dishonoring your entire bloodline with your faggotry.

Why?

>Limiting your life experiences because you've been indoctrinated

>millions of people suffer criminal penalties for petty crimes

>not a pressing political issue

>Legalize medical, leave recreational up to the states.
This 100%.

its really not a huge issue, at least not in the presidential erections.

But it is pretty important. The war on drugs has been incredibly expensive and totally ineffective.

Does this not apply to alcohol as well?

Because it's a civil liberty. Just like gay marriage was treated like a huge pressing political issue. If it's something people want to do, that doesn't harm anyone else except for maybe you, but the government forbids it... it becomes a huge pressing political issue.

So that accounts for people who consume alcohol as well. Which is a huge percentage of people

>artificially escape life
>weed is artificial
>smoking weed is about escape

You know nothing

Any issue voted on is treated as a huge pressing political issue.

>leave recreational up to the states

See, dumbass fuckwads say this, but they don't realize the supremacy clause doesn't allow this.

the ONLY reason why that's "working" now is because Obama refuses to enforce the federal law in states that have legal medical or recreational laws.

All it takes is for the next president to enforce the federal law and those states will have to can their legal marijuana laws.

The only way to TRULY "leave it to the states" is to remove Marijuana from the controlled substances act.scheduling. Deschedule it, and then state laws take over. Most states still have marijuana as illegal with criminal penalties., about half have legal medical, and a handful have decriminalized possession and a few have legalized and regulated it for recreational.

THAT'S how you leave it to the states, you remove it from federal law.

Leaving it in federal law as a criminal act with mandatory minimum sentences but having state laws that conflict with federal law on the issue is just asking for problems.

and by problems I mean that it's up to the discretion of the DA whether you get a fine according to the state laws, or mandatory minimum prison sentence under the federal law.

In some states that decision is based on race. White man busted for weed gets a small fine. Black man gets busted for the same amount, 1 year imprisonment and $1000 fine according to mandatory minimum sentences in federal law.

But it isn't always race, sometimes it can just be that particular judge or DA that just decides to use federal punishments rather than state. Just to be a dick.

the only way they could convince people it should be legal was from a medical angle

it's really disingenuous, i really wish stoners would stop claiming so many bullshit medical benefits

>See, dumbass fuckwads say this, but they don't realize the supremacy clause doesn't allow this.

>President removes Marijuana from the schedule system with the stroke of the pen
>It's now literally legally up to the states to decide what they want to do

retard, no one said "hurr durr do nothing"

Degeneracy and decadence

There are some though. anti-emetic, anti-spasmodic, anti-inflammatory properties, reduces intraocular pressure (for glaucoma) stimulates appetite in people who are wasting away on chemo or HIV therapy.

I'm not one who buys the "weed cures cancer" shit or using it to treat autism, tourettes, etc

But for glaucoma, cancer, HIV, and some forms of chronic pain (particularly chronic inflammatory pains like arthritis), and maybe some forms of epilepsy I agree with it's use there.

We have a huge fucking opioid problem here, opioids should not be used for chronic pain, only for acute pain because of how addictive they are. But our options for chronic pain sufferers are pretty limited.

Cannabidiol would help in a lot of cases as a chronic pain med.

a lot of people do though, they say "leave it to the states" but want no changes to federal law.

I literally said
>Also take the feds out of that whole business
Can you read?

>Cannabidiol would help in a lot of cases as a chronic pain med.

The only problem is it gets you way higher than most prescription medications.

if you take a higher dose or use a high THC strain sure, but you can get just as fucked up on hydrocodone and oxycodone if you abuse that too.

People who use weed for chronic pain tend to use high CBD, low THC strains though, for better pain relief with less high.

>implying they alter your mind and not your perception/consciousness

Learn about the effects of drugs on the physiological side of the human body before you spout garbage.

Its not a big deal, it should just be legalized. People think its some kind of moral marker on where our society is headed but on a scale of gay marriage to supporting Assad Rebels it ranks at about a zero on the who gives a fuck scale.

>limiting your life expectancy because you're a pot smoking piece of shit

it's one of those lowest common denominator "issues."

Because they've been told to treat it like a huge pressing political issue and like good little dogs they obey.

No one with any sense gives too squirts of piss about fucking marijuana.

weed doesn't limit your life expectancy.

Because DUDE WEED lmao

Pot heads can be some of the most obnoxious people. The worst are those with zero depth of character or skills and they fill those voids with THC.

They're using it to sneak in more taxes and consolidate the market and 90% of brain dead addicts won't notice or care.

Nuke this state.

>vote for weed!
Gets those progressive DEMS to the booth on voting day.

Anti-weed people seem to be even more obnoxious. If they're truly neutral, then the wouldn't spout bullshit.

Pandering for votes.

>weed kills you
Wewlad

BECAUSE WE'RE FUCKING RETARDED

WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY WHILE YOU HAD THE CHANCE YOU STUPID LIMEY GIT

you are so fucking stupid

>limiting your life expectancy because you're an alcohol consuming piece of shit

THIS. If you want to get weed in california now it is so stupidly easy to get a card and get weed legaly. A yes on 63 would only make it harder and more expensive.

I don't want to live long anyway. Meanwhile, weed doesn't do anything and only makes you retarded by the time you hit 30. I want to enjoy my 30s and die at 40

a lot of people don't think that the next president has to change the federal law. I'm saying they do, if you want it to be a state's rights issue they have to change the federal law.

How is that wrong?

fair point

>Break well known and clearly written law
>Innocent
????

Stupid hippies forever butthurt that cops will always have a reason to bounce them to jail.
>What do you mean I can't get my criminal record for possession expunged?

They're as bad as the Bernouts thinking they'll get retroactive student loan forgiveness if their Commie Kike Jesus made college free.

>smoking itself isn't illegal
>smoking certain things are illegal
>the compounds that are illegal to smoke don't cause as much physiological harm as some things that are legal to smoke (a rolled up graphic design diploma)

Could you call the law anything less than completely arbitrary considering?