Does this have a good chance of becoming the wonder woman of the mcu?

Does this have a good chance of becoming the wonder woman of the mcu?

No.

Wonder Woman was pretty much a passion project for everyone involved. This will be a soulless cash grab. I say this as a huge Marvelfag(but still fuck nu-Carol).

wonder woman had a very very hard feminist agenda push behind it. I doubt theyll get on board with a second heroine

I don't know but were getting skrulls so I'm happy about that but one thing I'm concerned about is marvels choice of directors

Is she the one that will play Carol?

Yeah she is

>wonder woman of the mcu

Carol Danvers is no longer a woman in Marvel, she has no gender

This film will be the Rogue One of the MCU, where most of the film will just be "This is how ______ happened"

Carol will be forced to go through some development that would make her leave the 90's to appear in the present, and with a 20 year time gap, that means that the supporting cast will probably be existing MCU characters, to avoid making a film and then replacing all the actors with 20 year older actors in the present.
I expect things like how Fury lost his eye, new recruit Phil Coulson, probably Black Widow and Hawkeye shit, Ronan cameo (which I actually would love), possibly Banner doing experiments and hell, Hank Pym working with Darren Cross.

This film will try to make Carol seem like hot shit, and will prop itself up with "Hey! Ever wonder how things became what they are in the MCU present?"

Though, I hope the film is full of 90's nostalgia.

Oh. Pictures like these are an indication of failure.
>Let's take a picture and upload it on twitgram/inster
>I want my Carol pjs and grab a volume one from amazon.

This film does feel like it's in an odd limbo. But hey, when they're done with Avengers 4 filming, and they start Captain Marvel filming in January, I'm sure they'll flesh it out. I mean, it's just that and Spider-Man 2 filming next year and then GOTG 3.

Do any non comic readers know who she is? Wonder Woman has had for more Pop culture exposure. Even if this is an excellent movie it's not going to have that behind it. Maaaybe later word of mouth.

>Do any non comic readers know who she is?
Course they do. They're called the Carol Corps.

Probs. Marlel movies haven't failed yet.

A wholly mediocre film that happens into the perfect storm of being much better than the shit everyone was expecting and having enough girl power to generate an overwhelmingly positive media machine?

Hopefully it will be a lot better than that.

>>ywn cuddle with brie

Not like that mattered for Guardians of the Galaxy.

Does it matter. It's a fucking Marvel film. At worst they're still huge successes. Seeing as this is their first female protagonist movie it's guaranteed to be lucrative as fuck.

What matters to us is whether it's good or not.

It won't be that because people don't have such monumentally low expectations for marvel movies. So if it's anything but the quirky action movies they're used to then it won't appear exceptional to everyone.

WW was a great movie, did a few original things, wasn't what anyone expected, and came after a long line of terrible movies.

This is just another marvel movie, likely using the same formula. Likely without anything unexpected.

I think the better example might be Deadpool. Despite not being well known it started well. Guardians of the Galaxy started poorer than Deadpool, but kept got some boosts along the way. It's 5th week was higher than it's 4th, for example.

Got a chuckle out of me. I don't think it's a fair assessment though. They read the dumb thing. They don't care if it's shitty because they get attention from Sempai.

Deadpool was still very popular even before the movie. The GotG or someone like Black Widow weren't.

Shes too small and sassy for the role, user.

>wasn't what anyone expected
How?
It was by the letter cape movie, Had a cheesy quick romance to have a angst moment, had some background diversity, and a predictable twist, a bland end fight in an empty CG setting.

The only thing people think makes it new is that It's a woman.

There were some moments I liked in it, like the addressing of the Sniper having PTSD and her care of him, but it was really underwhelming.

Not a Captain Marvel fan in the least but I'm looking forward to it just because it's part of the MCU and I doubt she's going to actually resemble the comic book character, in all honesty.

I can't tell you how successful it's actually going to be but it'd be amazing if it were actually less successful and less well-received by everybody than Wonder Woman.

>WW was a great movie

I don't understand this meme. It was a 6/10 at best. The film takes a good long while to go anywhere interesting and then crashes in quality for the entire final act. It 'gets' Wonder Woman and Chris's charm elevates the whole deal, but it's not a great film. It's okay.

Is he? If you asked your mom who he was would she have known?

Assuming your mom doesn't read comics, that is.

Well, what everyone was expecting was a complete pile of steaming shit. The bland but competent film we got is much better in comparison, even if it's not actually very good.

>people liking something more than I did is a meme
Looks like you don't understand normal human interaction either.

It really does feel like a meme. People repeated that it was good so often and with such tenacity that everyone just accepted it.

I don't see how anyone could think it was a great film otherwise. It's... I mean, it's not bad, but there are a lot of bad things about it. A great film doesn't have such huge, glaring issues. In general, I've yet to meet someone in real life who thought the film was as great as people spout off about it on the internet. Hence. meme.

>This will be a soulless cash grab.

so, no different than any other MCU movie since Iron Man 1 and even in terms of success its not gonna be different either.

They will never go alcoholic dictator with her, the mouse will try to turn her into female superman and we will have constant shitposting-threads about Marvel doing a better Superman than DC.

No.

Wonder Woman has a strong foundation not only as Justice League member, but her own character often associated with hope, love and snapping necks.

Ms. Marvel is mainly known for alcoholism, failed relaunches and watching her opponents die as they suffocate as she gets off of it.

I really dislike direction Marvel is taking with Carol because as a kid I liked this Carol, this deeply flawed person wants to do good. Now, well, I am not sure she has character.

>This will be a soulless cash grab.
Funny I watched Wonder Woman and that's exactly what it was.

Maybe a movie will do for Carol what it did for Tony and force personality and her likable for the first time since she a bit player in X-men redecorating Rogues room

>>Force a consistent personality and make her likable

Fucking phones

I mean everyone loves Guardians now even though before the movie came out everyone was asking what the fuck Guardians of the Galaxy is about.

did you not learn anything? it has nothing to do with the characters populartity before the movie adaption, disney just needs to do another by the numbers movie with another either quipy or snarky character an they'll have another at worst somewhat successful movie.

Wait wait wait wait wait

You guys are saying that a Hollywood movie is being made purely to make money?

I'm sorry but I refuse to accept that, I have too much faith in the producers and I know they wouldn't do something like that, I'm sure they only make movies for the cathartic pleasure of creating art. I'm glad I'm not a blackguard like you guys who thinks so little of our entertainment industry.

If Dr. Strange did well despite being as formulaic and bland as it was, I see no reason this can't do the same.

there are passion projects out there even among capeshit movies like Logan and Deadpool.

(you)

It has a good chance of being the movie that's pretty mediocre but because it's Marvel's first female lead, everyone will talk about how mind blowing it is. I still don't understand why it's taking place in the 90's

>Wonder Woman has a strong foundation not only as Justice League member, but her own character often associated with hope, love and snapping necks.

And destroy Christian symbols in the movies now

No, it will actually be good.

No, Wonder Woman has decades ahead of Carol and normies that like her and not because it's hip to like her.

Also she haf a good succesful movie meanwhile no one knows what to do with Carol.

Thay said even if her movie is good it's going to take years and years for Carol to reach that status.

>No, Wonder Woman has decades ahead of Carol and normies that like her and not because it's hip to like her.

Nobody genuinely liked or even cared about WW before the recent movie. She is the definition of a character liked because it's hip to like her.

Pretty much no normie could tell you anything about WW before the recent movie. Shit, I've seen people, who when asked to name female superheroes, don't even bring her up until you remind them about her.

Wrong.

People who used to watch her show in the 70's, all the gay guys who dress as her in parades, the WW museum, her costume being one of the most popular costumes in Halloween, and the people who went to see her movie.

I know normies who didn't care about BvS or thought it was shit that were excited for Wonder Woman.

People are going to see Carol's movie because of the MCU not because of her, if Carol didn't have the MCU attached to her no one would give a fuck. Wonder Woman had the odds against her and it did good, so enough normies cared to go.

The skrulls will just be as mindless and ineffective as the chitauri. If there's one thing the MCU is incapable of, it's villains.

Also the normies who watched Super Friends and Justice League while growing up, and all the little girls watching Super Hero Girls which is popular right now.

Outside a few games, merch, and that shitty cartoon in a shitty channel Carol has zero presence outside of comics and the MCU hype.

>but it'd be amazing if it were actually less successful and less well-received by everybody than Wonder Woman.
Uh what makes you say that? WW actually did a lot better than most MCU movies

No. Not even the most die hard MCUfags have any idea who she is. I make it a point to pretend like I dont know either so as to not contribute to her marketing.

>People who used to watch her show in the 70's

I know people who watched that. They're in their sixties now and definitely have no interest in modern cape movies or superheros in general anymore.

>all the gay guys who dress as her in parades, the WW museum, her costume being one of the most popular costumes in Halloween

So, her image was well known. She, as a character, was not popular. Nobody even knew who she was. Those kids wearing her costume or gay dudes strutting around her clothes? None of them could tell you her origin, and none of them cared.

Until this movie. People got excited because she was held up by advertising as the next big feminist thing - and, to be fair, in hey heyday she WAS a pretty important symbol. But that's all these people knew her as before the film. A symbol.

>Not even the most die hard MCUfags have any idea who she is

Sounds like...
GotG pre-2014
Ant-Man pre-2015
Dr Strange pre-2016

And hell, when it comes to the general public, Iron Man pre-2008

>But that's all these people knew her as before the film. A symbol
So what? They still knew who she was. That's a huge leg up on Captain Marvel.

They didn't know who the Guardians were before GotG either.

Marvel doesn't need recognizable characters. As long as the film is alright it'll print money for them. My guess is that, like WW, this will be an extremely safe and uninteresting movie that due to a mixture of MCU draw and girl power media support will make fat stacks of cash.

>all these Marlel shills crying

Not really arguing that, though this leg-up is doubtful too, seeing as Marvel somehow managed to get people to give a shit about plenty of characters even more obscure than Carol.

Just noting that, in reality, Wonder Woman hasn't been popular since the late seventies. People recognize her, they don't know anything about her or really care. They will most likely go back to not caring when the marketing madness surrounding her movie fades away and everyone realizes it was actually just okay.

You appear to be lost. Sup Forums is to your right.

>Marvel somehow managed to get people to give a shit about plenty of characters
>Wonder Woman hasn't been popular since the late seventies
What I said: >implying Sup Forums isn't the one companywarring here

Well I know people who watched that show even in their 40's and they care.

And her being a symbol is still important, still wy ahead of Carol who doesn't even have anything coherent to her at the moment and whose title she had to take from a man.

You idiots keep citing Guardians. Guardians is a team movie with plenty of characters so you get a wider audience. The licensed music also helped a ton.

People aren't gonna be clamoring to see a movie about a literal who woman. Honestly she should have made her debut in the next Avengers then did a solo.

>whose title she had to take from a man.
More like two.

Don't forget LE EBIN DANCE OFF XDDDD and LE EBIN PAC-MAN REFERENCE XDDDD

What does a team movie have to do with anything?

Look at the history of Fantastic Four.

Multiple characters have a wider chance of appealing to more people. Don't be daft.

>People aren't gonna be clamoring to see a movie about a literal who woman

>People aren't gonna be clamoring to see a movie about a literal who guy who shrinks
>People aren't gonna be clamoring to see a movie about a literal who mystical wizard

Carol's way better than Wonder Woman.

a mediocre movie that is vastly overrated because it's better than its peers?

That's already most Marvel movies.

What also helped GOTG was Gunn's cinematic flare. Where Captain Marvel is so vague in terms of what her franchise is about.

Yet I just provided a counterpoint to that. You're making up justifications with no reasoning whatsoever. Multiple characters or not, Guardians were ALL literal whos.

Lel bro you sound like an absolute retard when you overcompensate in your vocabulary like that. Saying "well look at this team movie that did bad!" is not a counter argument to the point that a team of characters has a better chance of appealing to more people.

I digress though keep your tinfoil hat on then when it underperforms I'll just laugh. They gutted what made Carol interesting, her blood thirst. Now she's just a boring Supergirl copy.

>Lel bro you sound like an absolute retard when you overcompensate in your vocabulary like that
I'm not sure what part of my vocabulary I overcompensated... the biggest word I used was "justifications"

> point that a team of characters has a better chance of appealing to more people
Then why are there so many ensemble movies that don't do well? Even if GotG got a benefit from being a team movie - and sure, it probably did - it still took a team of nobodies and made them world famous without any cameos of known characters. Acting like that's not an achievement is fucking retarded.

Who said it wasn't an achievement? My point was them introducing Carol in her own movie instead of in a Avengers movie is going to hurt her because no one knows who she is and lets face it she's not very interesting and does not have a cool powerset like Dr Strange or Antman. Shes just not-Supergirl all grown up. The most interesting part about her was her trying to contain her bloodlust and they got rid of that part of her character.

t. somebody who's never read Carol.

Im still buttmas that they didnt go with someone cute to play as Carol, like Dianna Agron.

Oh yeah bro her being able to shoot lasers makes her SO INTERESTING. Just give up. No one cares about her. Kys.

The thing about Carol is that she has no defining franchise qualities. Who's her supporting cast? Who are her villains? What are her iconic stories and settings?

The fact that they are using Skrulls and Nick Fury in the 90's for her first film just says they are just sort of mashing a stew together.

Where did this notion come from that you have to know who a character is before a movie for it to do well?

Nobody knew who Iron Man was ten years ago. Nobody knew Strange or Ant-Man. Nobody knew Deadpool. People only knew Thor and Cap by name alone.

Most movies that come out are new characters. Add in the Marvel branding, Nick Fury cameo, an after credits tease from Infinity War or Ant-Man 2, people hyping the feminist angle, and you've got an easy recipe for success, as long as the trailers look good.

Both Skrulls and Nick Fury are part of Carol's classic stories though?

All of those characters are interesting with cool powersets. She's a flying brick. All I have to say is they better pray DC doesn't slot WW 2 the same month.

>MCU
>thinking that villains and supporting cast matters

I'm a pretty huge MCUfag, and even I know that nobody cares about the rogues for these movies. Outside of Loki, none of the villains have mattered much.

And what's cool about Wonder Woman's power set, exactly?

Carol would crush Wonder Woman, she's a far better character.

the lasso is pretty neat

Skrulls was FF and Fury was...around.
Again, Carol is pretty much the "leftovers" hero at this point.
Hurm.

She's a warrior goddess with a sword, shield and whip. What other A list heroes use any of those?

>implying they don't
try to imagine any of the MCU movies without a supporting cast and a villain and you'll have Captain Marvel

>previously unknown character can't be successful because she's a flying brick
Reminder that Hancock pulled in $600m ten years ago. Completely new property, generic powerset, not part of a franchise.

Yes, it had the Will Smith appeal, but Carol will get the Marvel appeal.

MCU origin* movies, rather

I don't think so, and I'm a pretty big Marvel fag who thought Wonder Woman was good but very overrated.

Wonder Woman sort of has this unearned "iconic" status among women (even those who don't know anything about comics) just for being the most known female super hero. Her finally getting a big movie made this a big event for female audiences.

I think Captain Marvel will be successful and pull from a lot of the same audience, but there won't be that same obligation from audiences to see the film multiple times because basically nobody besides comic fans know who Carol is (and even they don't care for her much.)

Does help that Marvel missed their chance to beat DC to the punch on a female lead too, so the thunder/novelty is diminished.

TLDR; it will do about as well as the average Marvel flick.

Wrong

This

And with the right director and actress WW could make 2 billion at the box office

What, you think her movie won't have those?

Thor 2 was successful, even if it's the worst of the MCU, and its villain was as cardboard as they come, and the main supporting characters were OCs - Dr Selvig and Kat Dennings' boobs.

She doesn't need an established set of supporting cast members to work on film. They're using Fury, who's great, and the Skrulls, which are a great villain, even if their not "hers."

Why would it matter where they came from in the comics?

>with the right director and actress WW could make 2 billion at the box office
Hold up.

You think WONDER WOMAN could make as much money as Star Wars?

More money than Batman and Superman combined?

More money than the Avengers, aka the most box-office oriented designed movie of all time?

"The Skrulls" are not a specific villain, unless they're planning on doing a Secret Invasion storyline with the Skrull Queen, but then that's subsuming Carol's origin with a more popular story that has no relation to her

Which actress should they cast for the love interest?

>with a more popular story that has no relation to her
Why does that matter though?

MCU now only hires friends, they don't give a dawn to miscast anymore

because then it's a Secret Invasion movie, not a Captain Marvel movie

It's not going to be an Avengers story, though - we already know that much, since it takes place in the 90s.

So if it's a Captain Marvel movie that draws influence from Secret Invasion, why is that a problem? What does it matter that the original story wasn't strictly a Carol story?

Yes, there are many people who don't like Gadot, and WW is very well-known in the world, in many countries more than SpiderMan
In worldwide WW floops

I didn't see WW in theaters and I won't see CM
I hate miscast
make a decent cast and I go to the theaters to see these movies again

>wasn't strictly a Carol story?
Carol is a literally who and nobody cares about her in the history of Marvel, she's only the woman who give the powers to Rogue and is pushed 6 years ago to the front line, only God know why, when they can go with Wasp, Black Widow, Shehulk, or Sue or even Tigra