JLA Year One Deluxe

I just got this yesterday and I fucking love this reimage of how the JL formed post-COIE.

Why doesn't Warner Brothers use this as a template to create the DC Extended Universe? Instead of Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman, and Suicide Squad, this is the 1st official movie.

Instead of having origin movies, you already establish that these heroes have been operating for the past couple months or a year, but they haven't really crossed one another's paths. This would be a 2-part movie; the 1st one deals with how Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Black Canary, and Martian Manhunter come together as a team. Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and other major heroes are in the background, but this is about the founding of the Justice League as a team as well as a family.

Part 2 would have the JLA finally swoop in and save the other heroes as well as the world just like in the TPB. From then on, you have solo movies about Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. as well as the 5 founding JLA members. Then, you introduce Cyborg, Metamorpho, Ralph and Sue Dibny, and others slowly but surely.

Would be harder to create I guess since JLA Year one already have other established heroes so unless you know comics, it's going to be hard to understand what's going on.

I get what you mean, but Spider-Man Homecoming proved that you can skip the origin story and just focus on establishing the hero in their initial months to 1st year of doing good.

I just really dislike the mish-mash that WB is peddling for the DC Extended Universe. These stupid fuckers had a fucking chance to do this properly back in 2011 when they released Green Lantern. Not only did they make a piss-poor movie, they make it stand-alone.

I know the Nolan films were making major bucks and were getting a lot of love, I enjoyed them too mind you, but WB has nobody but itself to blame for trying too hard to play catch-up to Disney/Marvel.

With JLA Year One, there's a nice building block to make a feel-good movie about the DC Universe on film. Fucking CW's done a better job than the movies are doing and that's fucking sad.

Eh I'd like to argue Homecoming was an exception to the rule because there were already 2 movies about Pete's origins even though they're not the same universe, people already know it. It's like how people who's never picked up a comic would know Supermans origin or Batmans. Well here's hoping Justice League movie will be great, I really do hope it does turn out great.

I just think that WB could've done a different approach than what they did in the past 4 years.

If they start off with something like JLA Year One, it kickstarts the DCEU with a bang. You're thrust into a greater world where superheroes have been popping up thanks to the advent of the Kryptonian and the Gotham Bat.

Meanwhile, 5 heroes have formed a team with UN sanction to defend Earth. And like all teams, they don't get along, there's trust issues, miscommunication and cultural misunderstandings with Aquaman and Martian Manhunter, but in the end, they grow to trust and depend on one another.

Eh, I think it's easier to have this world building with movies when you start from scratch, I mean I get what you mean but at the same time I don't mind the direction that WB went with, I actually liked MoS and BvS, they were fun. Maybe in a few years when capemovies die out and then get revived for the Nth time we'll get better storytelling but as of now the cards are already dealt.

if you like JLA year one you should read the brave and the bold (the mini with barry and hal)

I miss old Waid, when he used to churn out good stories.

Yeah I heard good things about that. It's stuff like this that makes me enjoy DC a lot; having 2 heroes get along be bros in their civilian lives as well as their costumed identities.

What happened to him?

Yeah Brave and the Bold with Hal and Barry was great, my favorite ones were the one with Ollie and the one with Alan and Jay. No clue, I don't enjoy any of his new shit, it's fucking awful. I wouldn't be surprise if he's suffering from dementia

Some people just run out of steam, by the mid 00s even before the SJW stuff he was bad.

Waid is one of the few people who truly understands Hank Pym as a character like that Daredevil issue where Pym, Strange, Iron Man, and Reed have to save Matt's life. It's a real shame that he's lost some of his touch.

No trinity, no go for DC. This was scrapped as an origin relatively quickly after it was printed.

Did anyone watching the animated Justice League ever complain they were never shown Wally's origin?

Look, I like the Trinity too, but what I like about JLA Year One as well as the CW DCverse is that the other heroes have origins and a part to play that's just as important.

Fucking Marvel managed to make a talking raccoon and a tree into popular characters. If you told me 10 years ago that Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be a successful fun movie, I would've called shenanigans. Marvel actually takes chances since they're partly forced to not utilize X-Men and Fantastic Four. Hell I hope they can clean their act and get Inhumans good.

And despite Defenders being a disappointment, at least Netflix Marvel gave us a properly Daredevil series as well as Alias, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist; something that they probably wouldn't have if FOX didn't have X-Men/F4. Oh and we got the best depiction of Punisher with Bernthal.

DC has great animated movies and despite the inherent weaknesses of CW DC, it still retains some value of fun compared to the WB movies.

OP here, that's what I'm saying.

When the Justice League cartoon premiered back in 2001, it didn't bother with establishing the origin stories for Wally, Hawkgirl, Stewart, and Wonder Woman. They gave us Martian Manhunter's because the premier was all about the Imperium Invaders which made it a great reason for Superman and Batman to have other heroes join up.

JLA Year One does the same thing and it gives us glimpses of DC's world like the Doom Patrol and other characters.

It even feels like it was written specifically to be the basis of a movie, the way they recontextualize Aquaman to be more "realistic" and include information on Martian Manhunter's early days.

Then the superhero movie boom happened and they had to make something new that followed the new popular formula.

What's wrong with JLA Year 1 as a movie basis?

No Batman, no funding.

I'm a fan of Batman ever since I was a kid, but it pisses me that everything in DC must have Batman as its main marketing point.

Can you take some pics, OP? I'd like to see how the deluxe turned out.
On another note, this story recently appeared as part of the Eaglemoss DC collection in my country. In a facebook discussion group, about 90% of the people said the story was shit. Fucking newbies I swear.

>. In a facebook discussion group, about 90% of the people said the story was shit. Fucking newbies I swear.
How the fuck could they say that? JLA Year One is a classic. It's one of the best stories from the 90's.

>It's one of the best stories from the 90's.

Relative to the rest of 90s DC output, not really. It was a really good time.

these are the same people who think Hush is the greatest shit ever, so there's your answer
as I gathered, the most liked stories so far: Hush, Last Son, Tower of Babel
least liked: JLA Year One, Batman and Son, Death of Superman

It doesn't conform with the way modern superhero movies are, or at least not with what they were like in the 00's. Ironically it has a lot more in common with the Avengers movie than New 52 JL does now.

Yeah 90's DC didn't suffer a drop of quality or EXTREME as much as Marvel did in that decade.

I can't blame them for hating Death of Superman. Even I knew in preschool that no way would Superman stay dead. I already had a relative in comatose back then so I assumed that was the case for Superman.

What exactly is the way contemporary comic films are supposed to be like since 2000?

Growing up during this incarnation of the JLA is why I swore off of DC until my 30's.

You sound like a real bitch.

>What exactly is the way contemporary comic films are supposed to be like since 2000?
There was a fad of making characters more "realistic", you always had one villain per film played by some celebrity, etc.

There's a guy who posts here every once in awhile with a "Comic Books Films That Almost Were" pasta, or something like that. Check that sometime for an example of the kind of thing DC was actually considering, the crown jewel being the Green Lantern film starring Jack Black.

>navy seal copypasta