How come he gave a good analysis on the Disney Afternoon shows, as well as Batman and Animaniacs and other shows...

How come he gave a good analysis on the Disney Afternoon shows, as well as Batman and Animaniacs and other shows, yet he sucked at giving a good analysis for Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, and Rugrats?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1pfZ1VqMN7o
youtube.com/watch?v=H9lR78GUO78
youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Sy11mvZU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He gives really uneven analyses even for a particular show. Like, for one episode he can be incredibly insightful and bring up a bunch of points I hadn't even considered, and then he goes full pleb mode for several episodes after that.

They don't call him the Nostalgia Critic for nothing.

/thread

>good analysis
Was it though? Can you give us some examples?
I remember it being mostly him going on about how kids shows used to be smarter than now, which really isn't saying much.

>The children's cartoons that you watched as a child.
>Watching them as an adult
>Seem kinda childish
>I JUST BLEW YOUR MIND. Link/Like/Donate!

>Watching them as an adult
>Seem kinda childish
That's generally not at all his point of view. He shits on some old stuff but he's overwhelmingly positive about a lot of 80s/90s stuff, especially when outside of character.

He obviously has a bias for cartoons he liked vs. ones he didn't really watch. He will never stop jerking off BTAS and Animaniacs for as long as he lives but he didn't really get Hey Arnold because it came out when he was a teenager as opposed to a child.

Because ultimately Doug is reaching a stage where his nostalgia doesn't match the nostalgia of his target audience. The man is in his late thirties, early forties, and he's trying to pretend that he has nostalgia for shit that was airing in the 90s and early 2000s. In reality, his nostalgia is based mainly in the 80s and really early 90s so he didn't ever actually WATCH something like Hey Arnold.

Basically, Doug has outgrown his target audience and it shows considerably.

>He will never stop jerking off BTAS and Animaniacs for as long as he lives
You know if Famicom wasn't so bad at hiding his posting/speech patterns sometimes I'd swear he and Doug are the same person.

I don't watch his reviews much anymore, but Kangaroo Jack got me interested because that movie was everywhere when I was a kid.

The poop joke in that movie was much funnier than the entire stupid fucking skit he tried to develop around critiquing it.

HOW WILL DRUMPF EVER RECOVER?

youtube.com/watch?v=1pfZ1VqMN7o

Hey arnold came out in the mid 90s when he was 16 and barely watching Nicktoons anymore.

>2010
>used to enjoy the shit out of him and AVGN
>today
>I still loves AVGN but can't stand NC

what happened?

CHICKEN BLOOD

Just seems like a lot of Online Pop Culture Critics get their rocks of deconstructing toons and comics and going "A bit dark, HMMM?" or "lol writers on drugs!" if it deviates even slightly from generic fare, or attempts any kind of lore.

...actually, "Lol lore" in a cartoon has kinda become a meme too.

James is a better personality, even outside of the AVGN videos. I could care less about what Doug thinks of something.

He's a batfan and honestly loved the animated series while he isn't fan of every series and cartoon.

God I hate that "HA HA THE WRITERS WERE ON DRUGS AMIRITE GUYS". God forbid an animation team actually be VISUALLY CREATIVE or anything, nah, gotta have muh Alice in Wonderland Mushrooms Reference.

Which makes it weird when he tries to deconstruct Steven Universe and whatnot.

My main issue with his skits is that he has terrible comedic timing and drags everything on, even fucking reaction shots.

Sure but he's never really been about that. He can be a shithead but he's not buzzfeed trying hard to prey on normie clicks or game theory where overdeconstruction is the whole schtick.

Whenever he tries to do shit like deconstructing Steven Universe, or referencing Adventure Time, all I see is a man who is trying his god damnest to stay 'hip with the young kids'. You'll notice that when he does that sort of thing for modern shit, its never anything that isn't hyper popular. Because he doesn't actually watch any of this shit unless it can guarantee him a hit on Youtube.

I will never understand how someone as chill as James can be best friends with Mike "brown bricks" Matei

Because he grew up with Disney Afternoon, whereas he was older and wasn't into the Nick shows you mentioned.

Weren't the Nickelodeon episodes made very early in his career?

Depends on when they came out. His earlier stuff he was solo so he could actually devote time to his reviews/analysis vids. Now he has all these channel awesome coattails riders who need their 10 mins each in a 30 min video and he has to watch what he says because of all the SJW shit they brought with them.

Nigga what.
He made vlogs critiquing every fucking episode of Legend of Korra and got 35-50k views per video on that. His latest Nostalgia Critic episode (Kangaroo Jack) is at 900k fucking views.

Because he's an unintelligent sperg with pedestrian taste.

His shitty skit reviews and unbearable dingle berry actors make the reviews so much worse.

Doug operates under the assumption that he always *needs* to say something engaging. It's an ego thing because he considers himself as some great arbiter of wisdom, when in reality he's just an early internet personality at the crossroads of zany and experienced that his fans all grow out of like kids growing out of that phase where their favorite show is South Park.

Not just that but, look at his brief pixar reviews.

>It was okay, it was pretty good, it was alright, but not as funny as it could have been.

then he does dreamworks next year and says

>WOW! Great Movie! Really Creative! THIS. MOVIE. IS. HILARIOUS!

he's a tasteless no talent hack.

Maybe because he did those Nick videos way early in his career and he did the Disney ones way later?

James himself kind of went into this in the Megaman review. He just makes AVGNs now when he has a good idea for a review. Otherwise, he isn't shitting them out due to obligation.

NC sold himself out entirely.

Didn't Doug back himself financially into a corner with Nostalgia Critic? Like, something about him dramatically quitting his job and then tying a bunch of fundraiser money into Channel Awesome.

James only reviews bad things outside his own childhood, Doug does everything.

For non-character stuff, James plays vidya. Doug talks about movements in cinema and cartoons.

For positive reviews James talks about when he first saw/played something and where it fits into the history of its medium, Doug tries to make the audience think and presents a new perspective.

When completely out of ideas James talks about music and Doug does skits.

The result is James comes across as laid back and good to watch when you know nothing about something, Doug is riskier and when he fails he seems less professional than the guy sitting on a couch talking about seeing Godzilla VS King Kong as a kid between sips of beer. This is because James is presenting himself as a guy the audience knows whether its as a pissed off autistic guy next door or your buddy you used to hang out with after school so its a low bar to reach.

That's what I mean by obligation. Pumping these things out is Doug's job. James is doing other shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=H9lR78GUO78

Something like that.
youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Sy11mvZU

As I recall he only really likes Shrek 2 from Dreamworks.

He hated Polly.

Doug isn't much of a 'nostalgia' critic anymore, he's just kind of a yelling critic personality.

That's just embarrassing.

He wanted to basically do a sketch comedy show.
It wasn't good.

NC is all he's had success with.

TL;DR James's secret for staying fresh for so long is not being a self-aborbed pretentious asshole

>Doug talks about movements
Doug doesn't know Italian Neorealism from Dead Bart hyper-realism.

>Pumping these things out is Doug's job
and he is terrible at it. but only subjectively.

objectively, he can still make a living doing it, and im unemployed so, fuck me i guess.

>James is presenting himself as a guy the audience knows whether its as a pissed off autistic guy next door
You hit the nail on the head for why James is more "likable". I feel too that we know the Nerd is a character, while I feel Doug tries to make NC a character, but always comes off as feeling like the same guy in real life. Also, James is just better at making things. I know the Nerd movie is controversial, but it still felt like it had actual heart and effort put into it as opposed to any of those filmed-off-an-iPhone Channel Awesome "movies".

no james actually has a passion for film making and talent. Douge Walker got lucky (like james) but has almost no talent and like improv theater.

I also feel like James cares more about what he reviews. When he does his Halloween monthly specials I get the feel that he really gets, understands, and enjoys what he's reviewing. Compare this to Doug's Disneycember where Doug makes countless mistakes and seems to have a complete disregard for anything that has to do with movie in question, complaining about pointless shit like 'Emperor's New Groove isn't Disney enough so that means its bad'.

I think its more about ambition.
James has no desire to be more than a guy talking about what he likes or doing crazy goofy shit.

Critic isn't happy being a comedian. He likes making jokes, but can't be an actor and can't be taken seriously.
But after a brief stint at least trying, he resigned himself to it.

But since he's not happy doing it the work can be forced.

Like an artist being told to draw whatever he wants although at least one car a day is preferable and one being told to only draw cars and the rest is extra credit. The happy one will produce better work.

Jesus Christ you're just quitting a job.
At least some of his (ex-)coworkers seem to enjoy his antics.

>Douge Walker got lucky
If you consider marrying a 400lb woman for her money lucky then...well, I suppose so.

I always felt a little bad for Doug. Demo Reel was fucking terrible, but it was him trying to do something new. He took a shot and watched his dreams die in front him.

WE'RE NOT DOING THE SUPERVILLAIN SHUFFLE

Doug was just drunk and angry in his first video, creating the character. That isn't hard to repeat intentionally.

Doug's character is literally himself combined with the comedic foil of an old black and white movie he loves. I don't remember which, I'd appreciate it if anyone does. But said character is basically human Daffy Duck. That's very hard to keep writing for on a short time basis.

Compare the one act Vaudeville greats who repeated the same thing in everything they were in to ordinary standup comedians who stay fresh.

There's two likely scenarios
>1
He's really familiar with and invested in the shows he actually cares enough to review well, while just churning out some half-assed shit for other stuff for money.
>2
He's just stealing other people's analysis. Shows like BTAS and Animaniacs were bigger shows and had a more noteworthy impact on the medium than the others (well at least in regards to BTAS), which means there was more genuine analysis devoted to these shows by more people, meaning there's probably better analysis out there online.

Personally I'm leaning towards option 2.

lucky in that he made the NC right when the moment was ripe to do so and almost no one else did it.

Also he is very good at making normie teir jokes, i honestly could not make humor like that, i would make a joke like "TASTE THE MUTHA FUCKIN RAINBOW OF AWESOMENESSS!!!!" and immediately delete it going "nah, thats too much"

Because different people have different opinions?

>digital fucking film
>can have as many takes as you want.
>uses that one.

Someone right now is unironically saying "FUCK YEA SPARKLE SPARKLE SPARKLE!!!" and his friend is laughing about it.
Both these men are probably having more sex than both of us.

Probably because Doug Walker is more familiar with those shows as opposed to Rocko, Rugrats, and Arnold? I mean, when you think about it, the only Nicktoons he is really familiar with are Ren and Stimpy and the Avatar series

true, and then he tried that awful quiz show. He isn't funny, his acting is BAD, and his insight isn't very intriguing or enlightening. It's tough though because, he can't see that from the inside looking out at it, he thinks he is. We all face the same problem so, in a weird way we are like him, only more self aware, but where does that get us?

>Both these men are probably having more sex than both of us.
That isn't hard.

That's kind of a hard thing to do with writing (especially comedy) for a lot of people: trusting your instincts rather than re-thinking everything because it's not good enough.
Then again some people have the opposite problem, but at least they actually put out things even if there's some cringe in there.

yes definitely. I can roll my eyes at douge walker all day (and sometimes do) but he is still more successful at something I was actually interested in try myself leaving high school so, he has that.

James is better though, definitely. Happy for everything turning out good for him.

That's where it's complicated. Not everyone can say they went for their dreams and failed miserably. Most people don't try. On one hand, failing like that has to be depressing in ways that are hard to imagine. On the other hand, nobody can take away from him the fact that he tried. That should be worth something. Not much of something, but something.

When do you think he'll crash and burn?

Is he the most famous furry known for something other than being a furry?

I don't feel bad for him about the quiz show since it was the result of a fundraiser, took years to come out, and they've only managed like 10 out of 40 episodes and they've all been absolutely awful in every way even without considering they raised like 500 thousand dollars for it and two other shows that haven't even been giving trailers.

Hasn't he already?

He's probably fine. He finally re-appeared after six months. His Vanilla Ice video was funny. Far from his best, but a decent showing.

He kind of has already. He's been in zombie-mode for a while now and the whole controversy thing didn't help his popularity or his sanity.
Which is a shame, the guy has more talent in terms of acting and comedy than the vast majority of his peers.

/thread

Whenever he decides to. He has said he's trying to try new stuff.

Quads confirm yes

never he has inherited wealth and talent. he will be around for a while.

that's either Will Toledo or Osamu Tezuka

>He married her so you don't have to!

Jon deserves to be way for successful then Arin.

Yeah, but vlogs are extremely low effort. 52 vlogs x 35k views = 1,680,000 views total for "work" he can do in his pajamas.

Also, even if Korra's ratings eventually tanked, it was definitely high profile.

So much this. I watched him review most of Adventure Time up to season 5 I think.
Several times he brought up thinks I had not realized, noticed or considered, it was actually insightful. And then he would completely miss the point on a different episode, it was so weird.

Early NC skits weren't too bad. Once he got stuck with the chuckfuck team, they had to pad out skits so he'd be obligated to give them screentime. So instead of him just finding a movie to review with a silly skit, it's not some elaborate "movie" that plays out the tropes of the shit he's reviewing.

He broke his promise. He didn't finish Sonic 06. And for this crime he deserves no success at all.

Will he ever recover?

No. He died years ago. Maybe one day the thing wearing his skin will disappear.

Because those are his opinions, you fucktard.

He seems to have fled back into the mountains to study the art of "debating" on youtube and "trying new things". Maybe we'll never know. I just hope he doesn't let the backlash against his bumbling turn him into a full redpill Sup Forumstard though.

I do think the more over-produced his videos are, the less funny they ultimately become though. Always thought he was at his funniest being low-budget.

We can only hope that one day there will be more Malkovich.

>Arin and Jon have made up and Arin was in his Star Wars videos
>theres still a clear rift though and they don;t really interact visibly too much anymore
>more Malkovich never
We are truly in the worst timeline.

He was, user. But Jon has a belief that the more money you have for the budget, the more funny you can be.

Jon is as successful as he wants to be.
It's clear that his youtube channel is done 100% for the fun of it. The guy comes from money and he'll never have to actually do any work he doesn't want to.

It's why his episodes take so long to come out. He doesn't actually need to do them.

Which is why Jon's stuff is usually so damn entertaining. When he IS there, he's there because he wants to be, not because he needs as many views in as little time as possible in order to pay that month's bills.

Rewatch the DKC2 playthrough where they discuss Balloon Party. Jon specifically says that be believes that having a higher budget can make sketch comedy funnier. Interesting to see that he proved his belief in this with recent videos.

I wish he'd do what his boyfriend Filthy Franku does and intersperse his overproduced comedies with some of that good old fashioned shit.

Looks like he married a smear frame.

They're probably glad to be rid of him

I am not going to donate for your stupid burned kids association what the HECKBUT!

I don't know about that, some of his funniest moments are just him being himself with little to no editing ("Stop! Stop! STOP!")