IDW blames Marvel Comics for poor sales

bleedingcool.com/2017/09/18/idw-blames-market-leaders-e-marvel-revenue-drop-financial-report/
>IDW reported its decreased overall income
>IDW:"Income from operations decreased by ($2,321,000) for the three months ended July 31, 2017 compared to the three months ended July 31, 2016 due to several factors. Decreases in operating income from IDW, IDW Entertainment and CTM in the amounts of ($1,467,000), ($187,000) and ($667,000), respectively, due to lower gross profit in all three segments, totaling ($1,185,000), more fully described below, and an increase in selling, general and administrative expenses of ($1,220,000), principally due to an increase in non-cash stock compensation across segments of ($674,000), among other net changes."
>So what caused the drop?
>IDW:"Publishing revenue decreased by ($751,000), principally due to industry cyclical downward pressure driven by market leaders, as well as the timing of significant major brand titles that are expected in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017."
Why is Marvel ruining IDW? Why??!!! What did IDW ever do to them? Will the tank Image next? What is their endgoal?!!!

The same thing we do every two decades, Pinky. Try to destroy the industry!

Maybe they shouldn't have copied Marvel's SJW strategy of chasing away their white male readers to virtues signal and pander to those that don't read comics?

/thread

You can't /thread your own post retard.
IDW didn't mention Marvel at any point, in fact they used the words "market leaders". As in plural.

IDW is friends with DC and having crossovers. They mean Marvel. They blame Marvel for all their problems.

Honestly, there's something to this. Marvel turning to shit pretty much corresponds with me giving up on comics in general. I've been waiting for over a year now for someone up top to get a wakeup call, but it's just not happening.

How dare Marvel force IDW to make shitty comics.

Who else are they referring to then? And they never said anything of the kind user. They said that the loss of revenue was "principally due to industry cyclical downward pressure driven by market leaders". As in it was not an issue wholly created by competition and even go so far as to state that it was also caused by "the timing of significant major brand titles".

I want to agree but no.
You make trash comics idw and it is coming back to bite you in the ass.

I have heard of people more or less stop buying comics after Marvel did a move that pissed them off and since those guys usually pick up other titles, those books would get hurt in the process.

Same thing probably happens if someone drops DC since both companies have such a big share of the market. Can't say for sure how relevant this situation is to IDW at the moment though

The shared Hasbroverse thing might be IDW's undoing. Individually, GI Joe, Transformers, and Rom could be solid on their own, but throwing them together into an Ultimate Battle is kind of cumbersome.

Also, throw in Micronauts, which not many people are familiar with, and soon Visionairies, another niche thing, and there's only so much that can be done with the Hasbroverse concept.

Did Marvel force IDW to hire a douchebag communist that said everyone doesn't deserve to feel sorry for 9/11 unless you were there (and if you say otherwise then you are butlerTrumpAlt-Right)?

Did Marvel tell IDW to make a poorly drawn gay cover?

Did Marvel tell IDW to make one of their GIJoes into a fat black woman?

Did Marvel tell IDW to make a comic based off the shitty Female Ghostbusters movie?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

Yeah and Marvel blamed DC for theirs

>he thinks his irrelevant dead franchise that barely sells 5k comic did anything

Wow GI Retard fans are spectacularly autistic.

Well he's right. You go to the LCS to buy the big 2 and everything else is an impulse buy. So when Marvel struggles everyone struggled.

The vast majority of of comic readers are character fags. They aren't going to pick up Paper Girls if Spider-Man goes to shit. They will just stop altogether. I'm just glad I didn't start with Marvel or I probably wouldn't be reading comics now either

>Did Marvel tell IDW to make a comic based off the shitty Female Ghostbusters movie?

To be fair the creators of the comic managed to make the crossover work.

Virtue signalling and pandering to impress an audience that doesn't buy your products is bad? My god, someone call fucking NASA.

IDW has a short window to acknowledge their real problems and fix them. Hasbro is moving on if they don't.

They are becoming Archie 2.0.

They're trying to be Marvel and have succeeded at copying every bad idea Marvel has done in the past decade, with the exact same collapse in sales.

IDW: if Marvel had made wise choices, we would have copied those and done well. It's Marvel's fault we failed.

>Did Marvel tell IDW to make a comic based off the shitty Female Ghostbusters movie?

No, Sony did.

Hasbro isn't leaving. They have no where else to go and they're still getting good money from Transformers and Horse.

Aren't the pony comics almost below 10k
Hasbro needs to either buy idw or move elsewhere. Maybe do it in house

If anyone wants to have some fun, send a "tip" to Bleeding Cuck on their forum. Literally make up anything that sounds halfway plausible and sign a fake email address. Rich is so hungry for clicks that he'll post his new scoop before checking on it.

Google search all the fake news they've posted in the past two years about DC Comics shows on the CW. A lot of it went viral. It was fucking hilarious to make a fool of the site.

Remember that next time you post a link to that site.

I remember when he declared that Batwoman would be on Supergirl because Maggie Sawyer was confirmed to be on it. Was that you?

Why would anyone buy IDW? They own contracts to sell other people's products. They own no IPs on their own. I'm not even sure if they even own their office. I believe they lease the space. If you would buy IDW, you would literally only own a name. How much is that name worth?

Yep.

How many times has Batman been reported to be heading to the CW? The dumb fucker falls for it every time.

I wonder who sent him the "Doctor Endless" bullshit

>To be fair the creators of the comic managed to make the crossover work.

Not super well. It wasn't the raging tire fire I expected but it's the only part of the series I didn't buy.

How the fuck does Marvel putting out shitty books hurt IDW? Are people going oh no Secret Empire sucks, better not buy MLP or Transformers?

IDW PAYS MONEY TO HASBRO for the licenses.

Do you retarded GI Joe faggots just not get this? Hasbro ISN'T GOING to waste money to make comic in studios because they are trying to buy a movie studio to make movies they don't give a lick of shit for the comics, the comic are the places where they dumb their generations/toys for the older fans and the places where they dump their other IPs they got just so that they can have any sort of shelf presence in case of a trademark war.

If Hasbro pulls the licence NOBODY is going to want it. Transformers is regarded as pure garbage because of Bayformers, nobody gives a shit about ROM/Mask/Visioinaries/whatever franchise and you GI Cunt have successfully destroyed your franchise as of last week because the franchise is officially deemed too toxic to be touched by anyone on top of being a two time box office bomb and a complete fucking failure at retail.

If Hasbro pull the plug there won't be any comics from any franchise. Period. You precious military toy soldier franchise will fucking die and will end on the garbage pile of history where Thundercats, He-Man and Wheeled Warriors now exist while Transformers and Midget Horses will continue into oblivion.

Not only that pulling a plug would effectively destroy the one ongoing Transformers universe that has fans and that would be a pants on heard retarded PR nightmare that Hasbro won't do. So stop your fucking autism overload spergfest over Sitterson hurting your fucking feelings.

They started doing that, sorta. Complete with tumblr style art.

>Hasbro needs to either buy idw or move elsewhere. Maybe do it in house
Hasbro... doesn't take the smartest approach with their executive decisions, either.

This. Hasbro doing it in house is actually more retarded than IDW.

who hurt you user?

If most of Marvel's line is shitty, are you likely to go to the LCS and pick up Marvel's books? No. You are more likely to just not read anything at all.
Less traffic to stores means that less spontaneous purchases are being made

Kinda, some of the more hardcore fans do this. Mostly related to extreme DCfags and Marvelfags though. They just stop buying altogether

If you're only supporting Marvel, odds are you aren't buying from other companies, so you wouldn't have a major effect on IDW's sales though.

>Hasbro is moving on if they don't.
>Hasbro
>H a s b r o

Do....do you know even know Hasbro user?

Whoa, calm down buddy.

If Hasbro decides to make comics it'd just be a single Bayformers comic book. Probably made by screenshots from the movie printed on toiler paper.

I don't know about MORE retarded, but yeah, you could expect Poochies up the wazoo.

If I recall, some store owners pointed that a lot of comic buyers are casuals trying extra stuff. They walk in on wednesday for their Wolverine fix or whatever, and walk out with a few comics they weren't actively looking for.

Now, if Wolverine's dead, for instance, and replaced by a girl? They have no reason to walk every month to their comics store. Now apply that also to Thor fans, Hulk fans, Captain America fans, and so on.

Note that IDW isn't entirely innocent. You get your occaional genderswap, Poochie pushing and stuff.

Personally I'd totally skip the MLP issue with cover by a /mlp/ tard, too.

>That buttblasted guy in the comment section
He's not wrong how the New 52 sold better than DC Rebirth but New 52 relied on more gimmicks and crossovers and the market was waaaay more healthier then considering the amount of ongoings Marvel and DC had at the top ten. Now if you look at the charts, it's mostly DC ongoings that populate it with Marvel's new releases briefly staying there for a month or three before sliding down (With the exception of Star Wars and Spider-Man)

That would explain the shared universe cluster of Revolution & First Strike. They had some solid stand-alone settings but they really wanted to get their GI Joe vs Transformers vs Whatever on.

It's called a bellwether. Comics have 2 Marvel and DC if they fuck up the whole industry hurts, if they do well it's a boon for all.

The same goes for products like pen and paper rpgs if D&D is doing well it's name brand attracts a larger pool. If it sucks the pool dwindles.

That's polite business speak for "the big man fucked up and it's hurting us all"

>principally due to
Mostly because of
>industry cyclical downward pressure
the market struggling during this cycle
>driven by market leaders
as a result of Marvel

Of course they aren't going to call out Marvel by name. That would be terribly unprofessional.

holy shit i never see this much autism even in marvel vs dc console wars threads

Except they don't just support Marvel. They'll also grab an issue of Transformers or whatever while they're there. Spider-man going to shit? Well they stop coming in and that issue of Transformers stays on the shelf.

Now how much of this is actually happening to IDW? Fuck if I know

>Visionaries
That's something I never thought I would see revived.

So... how's D&D right now? Recovered?

Hasbro is also preparing for a massive recession in the toy business. The movie transformers line was the shortest mainstream line in the last 10 year with the least amount of new figures, they are almost entirely killing all of their gimmick lines, the new Cyberverse cartoon is rumored to not even have proper toys just legends and 1 step changers and there's been a reductions in the amount of the yearly Generations retail product a.k.a what is now considered a mainline.

Between the toy market experiencing a shrinkage, their flagship movie franchise pulling a BvS and them failing to buy Lionsgate it's not looking for them in General. They aren't going to fuck with the comics until they are sure that the more important stuff (movies,cartoons,toys) are doing well.

I have a hard time believing that happens to a significant degree in the age of decompressed story telling.

And to be honest I thought the IDW audience were 40 year old autist who already knew the shit and movie fags.

I know, I'm wondering how many fans were clamoring for a Visionaries revival. After a certain point of nostalgia, a company's basically aiming for a niche of a niche.

Also, if there has to be absurd crossovers, they may as well have GI Joe/Jem. Joes & Cobra are already used to infiltrating Battle of the Band contests.

Ehhhh what's worse, Sup Forums didn't have the warmest first impression of it.

>Of course they aren't going to call out Marvel by name. That would be terribly unprofessional.
Which is just what Marvel tied doing to DC lol

Marvel Comics for poor sales?
Easy to answer, Marvel Pre-Disney
the stories were better
It was rare to see heroes meeting
Women were drawn beautiful by great artists

Visionaries are to be a part of the mystical Hasbro movie shared universe that they have been trying to get off ground for years. That's why there's been so many revivals Hasbro said to IDW "hey we want to make these movies, try to make people remember that they existed" and IDW came up with the Revolution.

There was none who actually wanted Visionaries, Hasbro wanted a commercial for their movie that's likely never happening.

>Joes & Cobra are already used to infiltrating Battle of the Band contests.
Sounds like a fun book.

>I have a hard time believing that happens to a significant degree in the age of decompressed story telling.
Probably one of the reasons people are saying "fuck that".

I really doubt that's enough to fuck up IDW this badly.

Yeah, I thought it was more a thing of Transformers fans will by Transformers comics. Licensed comics are kind of a double edged sword that way.

>I have heard of people more or less stop buying comics after Marvel did a move that pissed them off
I stopped buying comics once whor became a thing. Now i just buy trades of books i actually support (all non marvel titles)

>Pre-Disney
>It was rare to see heroes meeting
When the fuck do you think Disney bought Marvel? The 60s?

Crossover bloat at Marvel happened long long before Disney got involved.

>IDW didn't mention Marvel at any point, in fact they used the words "market leaders". As in plural.

Of course it's Marvel they are talking about, as Marvel is the one dropping in sales like a rock, DC is just 7% behind Marvel in market share now.

>I thought it was more a thing of Transformers fans will by Transformers comic

The majority of Transformers comic book readers buy it on comixology and ibooks because it's literally the only American comic they read so no point in going to the store to buy a single book (if they have a comic store seeing how at least 2/3rds of the fanbase isn't American). If they buy the paper they get the trades if the decide to double dip.

Bayformers sells though.

You are the new Marvel Jr lawyer?

>nobody gives a shit about ROM

Shut up.

>Visionaries movie
That just sounds like a really weird executive decision, but it's Hasbro so yeah. I watched the show when I was a kid and had some toys, but the last time I even remembered it existed was watching it on a Birdhouse stream several years back. There's no audience for Visionaries anymore. Like that other user said, it's a niche of a niche. If they wanted to revive the property, they'd have to start a new cartoon series and get it on a better network than Discovery Family. Maybe Netflix, they seem like they'll throw almost anything on their service.

Maybe in China, but as of TLK Paramount & Hasbro are officially shitting their pants and back pedaling on Bayformers. TLK was deemed the worst selling of all bayformer toylines too.

Bumlebee is going to be a beetle in his movie for a reason user.

S...see, this isn't like B...Bay he's...he's a beetle like in your n...nostalgia OH GOD PLEASE GIVE US MONEY

Marvel and DC are great market leaders. I don't see how they could lead the industry wrong.

No. Marvel's pretty goddamn shitty now. But heroes running into each other all the fucking time to the point where it stopped being special was a problem long before Disney.

Oh please. They aren't backpedaling on anything. It was decided that TLK would be the last Bay flick and a new approach is needed a while ago. The fact that it didn't do as well just solidified the decision.

Hasbro is a toy company, run by a movie executive who wants to make smart phone apps, that is trying to make Hasbro into Disney 2.0 and potentially turn it into an IP seller rather than a toy company.

They are literally trying to pull a GamesWorkshop.

>It was decided that TLK would be the last Bay flick and a new approach is needed a while ago.

Boco you can't be this retarded? This is bellow even you.

And as much as we don't want it, Micronauts is getting a cartoon. So thats definitely staying.

Fingers crossed that it starts a good trend...

>Birdhouse stream
DAMN, was that a stream's name? Sounds familiar, I had been trying to remember the one where I watched some Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and Street Fighter a few years ago.

What? Bay said he was finished, and they made a writers room to help branch out the universe.

They aren't rebooting, but they are experimenting with different styles.

>Bay said he was finished
>Michael "this is my last movie but I still made 2 more after it" Bay

Holy fuck you are this retarded. If TLK made a billion in China Bay would direct Bumblebee, TF6/7/8 and if you actually try to deny that than you have really reached new lows.

>Thundercats, He-Man
wait, so they'll get a dope little Maxi from DC?

Eh, its all hypothetical now.

Point is, people are sick of Bay's take and they're bringing in new blood. The movie series isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Yeah, Birdhouse streamed a bunch of old animated movies and TV shows. They used to do them almost every weekend, but they've gotten fewer and farther in-between over the last few years. I think the last one was in May.

>Evil Orko

My little colorful horse comics have been so over the place for years, lots of great hits but lots of really terrible comics too. The MLP comics brand is in the mud with a lot of people.

5th is doing a lot better than 4th at bringing people to the hobby, yes.

Speaking of, wasn't Hasbro gonna try some kind of "gender neutral", more action-y toyline with that? Whatever happened there?

I blame MLP.

Always blame MLP with anything hasbro related topic

Issue #1 was 12k. It dropped to 5k because of the writer who has been on it since issue 1 of the softboot.

Yeah they're doing some toys that are targeted at boys using the new characters from the movie.

>Marvel's actions are helping ruin the entire comics industry
Tell us something we don't know.

Aw.

Well that's not bad. I don't hear a lot about new books, though.
Also, it's been how long since the 5th edition release? 4 years? If it follows the trend since 3rd edition, should be almost time for a new one.

Friend from that other board here. I don't think you all realize how much IDW relied on Colorful Horse, and how Horse's decline has directly affected them. All of you are trying to make it about GI Joe but that barely broke 5k this month. IDW's Horse consistently was among their top selling book, of which they had several. Now they sell like shit and can BARELY break 10k for main series, and anything that isn't main series sells like shit.

Horse also shares an "editor" who clearly only gives a shit about TMNT, that shit really gets all of IDW's love.

I'm telling you, the issue isn't GI Joe, SJWs, or Marvel. It's IDW making too many fucking books no one cares about and putting in no fucking effort. For fuck's sakes, they made a POP one-off.

While many of us are waiting with glee to see Marvel collapse into its own anus at this point, the reality is if it goes the rest of the industry's going to take a huge hit. Almost like a shark dying and disenfranchising all the fish that swim around it picking up the scraps.

The same thing would happen to the /tg/ community if Games Workshop went belly-up. These giant companies with shitty business practices are sometimes a necessary evil.

>Marvel forced IDW to chase off Joe fans

>Marvel made them do this

Good. I don't care who does it but I want this shit to die somehow.

Are Joe fans really this delusional? Even if IDW were doing well, it would be from TMNT and the two flagship Hasbro properties. Not Joe.

Fuck Trump, fuck white people was a good approach to sales apparently.

>I'm telling you, the issue isn't GI Joe, SJWs, or Marvel. It's IDW making too many fucking books no one cares about and putting in no fucking effort

You're right. IDW has access to a lot of franchises that people care about but they cant get anyone to care about the comics. They're going to have to come out swinging with Sonic or that will collapse quickly

> Transformers was co-created by Marvel.
> One of IDW's flagship franchises.

Cuts both ways.