Bojack Thread

Which is the best season and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vPKNkTzUIMA
hhhhappy.com/the-bojack-horseman-soundtrack-is-getting-a-vinyl-release-with-tasty-af-picture-disc/
whattimeisitrightnow.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Haven't finished season 3 yet, but I really liked season 2. The timing of it geled with what I was going through in life after losing two people in my life and a relationship.

Someone on tumblr made the observation that the show blows its load on episode 11, leaving the finale lacking, and I can't help but agree.

Once we the audience learn from the excellent eleventh episode that Hollyhock is his father's kid we have to rush into Bojack also learning it, which amounts to Bojack running into a room yellling "I FIGURED OUT THE TWIST + a setup for the next season.

You know, I have to agree. Episode 11 felt like the real finale.

Maybe they could have used episode 12 as a framing device and switch around the two episodes?

Have episode 11 end on Bojack in the dad's house giving them the number, and then explain everything in the finale?

Season 3 is my personal favourite
YOU'LL FIND ME IN A SEA OF DREAMS

I think four may actually have been the best. Between BoJack's mom's answers being partway lucid on the rewatch, tons of hints on the coffee, and a ton of subtext in the Diane/PB/BoJack triangle it really was incredibly well designed and put together

I didn't feel good about 4 overall, though there were some episodes I really liked.

But then, I didn't feel good about 3 overall when it first came out, and now I fucking love it. So I'll wait a few months and see.

I've never given it much thought but, wouldn't this be the true Bojack or would it be better to say Bojack was created after him?

>tfw they released the soundtrack with the new season
been listening to this non stop
youtube.com/watch?v=vPKNkTzUIMA

Tie between s3 and s4 for me. 4 started out a little slow and had some annoying bits with Todd which I didn't like *coughdrones*, but it gradually got better. Especially once Hollyhock showed up. I feel like 3 might've been consistently better though.

Who else really enjoyed the change in art style they did occasionally in season 4? And Bojack's internal monologue was also a nice insight.

Season 5

I fucking loved it. desu they should've shortened Todd's wacky adventures to focus more on Bojack and Hollyhawk

Wered they release the soundtrack?

hhhhappy.com/the-bojack-horseman-soundtrack-is-getting-a-vinyl-release-with-tasty-af-picture-disc/

I like having the 11th episode be the climax for the season. It allows for a full episode of winding down and setting up the next season instead of an annoying 15 second cliffhanger.

I'm glad it wasn't only me, I really fucking loved episode 6.

I dunno if anyone already said this but they went way overboard with the wacky wordplay, I'd say.

For me personally episode 2 was the best one of season 4.

Oh shit I just realized the extra importance of when Bojack described a fake scenario to his mother and he included her eating ice cream, because earlier in the series beatrice was told ice cream was a boys' treat. Oh boy.

You mean Carolyn's loaded sentences or did I miss something else?

Also, thoughts and prayers.

thoughts and prayers.

>tfw you just realized that the character bojack played on Horsing around is called "the horse"
I need a picture to show how retarded I am

I honestly love those, so I didn't mind at all.

>tfw you fail to see the significance of this
help me out, user?

thoughts and prayers. also trips

took me a while to figure it out too, user. you're not alone.

Here I am complaining that the symbolism in S4 was too heavy handed, yet there are still regularly posts like this.

They've established that since s1, you silly geese

That's just a thing the show has done since season 1. Since it's made to be binged, they don't have to put the climax at the end of the season.

Nothing, it's just a subtle pun. For most of the first season the audience is lead to believe that they're just saying "hey, aren't you the guy from ____?" Then at some point later in the season, the show casually reveals that The Horse is the character's name.

I love them too but they kind of overdid it in this season

I think you meant
>"Aren't you the horse from Horsin' Around?"
becomes
>"Aren't you The Horse from Horsin' Around?"

Huh.

I thought the joke was his show is so formulaic by our standards that the character's name doesn't matter. Like if his universe version of Friends starred "Likeable Idiot" "Nerdy Girl" "Hot Girl #1" "Hot Girl #2" and "Is Allowed To Make Jewish Jokes".

Did I overthink it? Because I think both work.

Ooh, I get it now. Neat.

I'm pretty sure that is the joke.

Like if someone went up to Bob Sagat and asked "Aren't you the dad from Full House?". That's not his character's name,.

The problem with your interpretation is that "horse" is not a character archetype. I partially agree with you about the format of the show making his name irrelevant, but I don't think it has to do with being formulaic. It's more like it does the hollywoo thing of ignoring small humanizing details in favor of having oversimplified moral "lessons," which would break down if the show had to address them. Kind of like how Bojack is always trying to make these grand gestures and they always fail.

Like, I don't even think his character even had a name.
His star making role and there's just no identity assigned to it besides what he is.

Todd works best when he's a foil to the other main characters. He isn't good on his own.

Hooray! A Todd Episode! actually worked all right, since it was almost all him bouncing off the rest of the main cast, but he spent the rest of the season largely on his own and it mostly didn't work.

Fucking Awesome:
S2, S4 minus E3
Pretty Good:
2nd half of S1, episodes 6, 9, and 11 of S3
Meh to shit:
1st half of S1, rest of S3, S4E3

I was about to bail on the show after S3's shitshow, but I'm back on board now.

What was so bad about Season 3?

That and in s4 they used a song that is called "a horse with no name".

oh shit

trips and prayers

I don't want a season 5 because I know I won't be able to protect bojack's smile

nuoh my god

whattimeisitrightnow.com/

>squarespace

Is Butterscotch that bad of a dad?

Sure he neglected Bojack but I think Beatrice is the worst of all the parents. She didn't get anyone lobotomized but in comparison Joseph was more neglectful than actively trying to ruin his kid. Joseph was a huge, selfish piece of shit too but he at least has the excuse that he didn't really know what he was doing with the lobotomy.

Her childhood was sad but I still feel no sympathy for her as much as I don't Joseph.

Also was it explained why Butterscotch wasn't the one divorcing Beatrice? Beatrice said she wouldn't because no one else would have her but I can't remember if Butterscotch had a reason for staying. He didn't even like his job and wealth when he started working for Joseph.

2 or 4

>at least has the excuse that he didn't really know what he was doing with the lobotomy
He saw what happened after and still had no regrets, going as far as to threaten his child that if she didn't act the way he wanted she would've ended up in the same way.

I think Joseph wasn't a good person but I don't think he was insinuating that he, personally would have Bea lobotomized if she didn't calm down. I think he did regret letting Honey get a lobotomy, but only because it made her useless as a homemaker, not because he missed the old her.

I NEED NOISE

I think Butterscotch and Beatrice are both equally shitty parents.

>the biggest talking point from season 4 is people arguing over the nuances of a two dimensional stereotype who appears in one and a half episodes.

I missed that part where he threatened the same thing to her. He seemed to understand/regret or at least be frustrated over his wife's lobotomy from what I remember, though it was out of his selfishness of her not being what he wanted her to be and I don't think he cared at all about her well being even after the fact.

I don't think he is a good person and is irredeemable(he was shittily written one trick pony, really) but I hoped Honey was not conscious enough to be truly suffering anymore.

Yeah, yeah. Abuse breeds more abuse and it's more often than not a continuous cycle but even most abusive parents step up here and there occasionally. Which is potentially way more shattering since you get a taste of how it should/you wanted it to be.

I think it would have been better for Bojack to get praised at least occasionally even if it was only when he succeeded or pleased her if they had to give her that backstory. Bojack would still have tried just as hard to win her love and attention and would still be just as much of a wreck since it still wouldn't have been good enough for her.

>but her doll
>"promise me you'll never love anyone as much as I loved Crackerjack"
If that's the reason, why did she fall in love and want to get with Butterscotch in the first place after she found out she was pregnant? They obviously loved each other at first and makes that promise void.

She didn't get the abortion because of the doll, and she married Butterscotch because that was the proper thing to do back in those days. Bojack reminded her of Crackerjack(remember how she mistakes his childhood photo for him at the nursing home) which contributed to her abusing him. The fact that she can enjoy his show when she thinks he's Henrietta(i.e. she doesn't have to have her "guard" up) shows that there might've been a chance for at least some semblance of a healthy relationship if it wasn't for that.

>I missed that part where he threatened the same thing to her.
she was crying when he was burning stuff and he told her "you don't want to end up like your mother do you?"

season 5 confirmation fucking when

Apparently you retards have never heard of a denouement.

I didn't read that line as an explicit threat. He wasn't saying "Stop crying or I'll lobotomize you" because he viewed the lobotomy as a legitimate medical procedure. He just didn't want his daughter to be consumed by her emotions and become hysterical like her mother. He was unable to understand the magnitude of the thing he was saying.

I want Season 5 to have a setup for some crazy wordplay only to pull the rug out from under us and not do it

4(Second Half)>2>1(Second Half)>3>1(First Half)>4(First Half)

>I keep trying to escape this town
>And I just might, I'll take flight
>Maybe tomorrow, not tonight.

I really hadn't, no.
Same, I love that trope.

That's every season you idiot. Go back and look at all the other episode 11s.

2>4>1>3
2 has the most emotional impact out of all the seasons, with Bojack finally getting everything he thought he wanted and still not being happy.Then there's Herb's funeral and the whole Penny thing, and the jokes are consistently good.

It was tough to call between seasons 1 and 3 for worst, but I put 1 above three because when the show is new sudden things like Herb are completely unexpected. Season 3 feels very formulaic. We heard Bojack's speech to the lesbian in the bathroom like 6 times before. Bojack makes the exact same mistakes again. Cuddlywhiskers gives the same advice Bojack heard two times already. The underwater episode isn't nearly as deep as some people say. It wasn't a bad season, but it spent all of it's time retreading the same ground.

>The underwater episode isn't nearly as deep as some people say
I wouldn't say deep. It more about how they handle Bojack without having him saying a single word. It manage to make it work since it play off his character. I don't think there any other cartoon that done it quite well as Bojack.

You know, come to think of it, you're right about Season 3 being very similar to Season 2, and I can understand now why people dislike it. But honestly I feel like Season 3 did it better.

That's why I like Season 3 even if I'm iffy on its place in the story. It retreads old ground, but I do think it does a better job of it. There are no episodes in S3 that I disliked, and it has some of my favorites (S3E9 is god-tier and if you think the underwater episode is better you're wrong)

that shit was great, i love this fucking show

pic unrelated, i didn't mean to upload one

Heh.

i thought that was another artist but apparently it was an completely original song

Is there supposed to be any deeper meaning to it, or is it just feelsbait?

Could've meant honey needing to get away from the summer house or bojack getting away from la either way it's an enjoyable song.

I like how this image is still relevant

>that sex scene between diane and mr peanutbutter
it was awkwardly animated, I guess they couldn't make the right expressions either

that was intensely uncomfortable

I'm not a weaboo. Explain this

Does seeing it from the girl's perspective make you uncomfortable? Are you secure in your sexuality?

>picture-disc
Ow my fidelity.

no it was more the fact that one of the participants was an animated dog

what im trying to say is, mr peanut butter had a very cold expression, I was hoping for him to be panting and have bedroom eyes, specially in this shot. I guess the expression he had is because he was confused? i think it was potential fanservice completely wasted, for me

Hey I saved one of those.
Mr. PB has a thick ass neck

Will the Moore family subplot come back in S5?

What more can you tell about it? I think S3 summed it up nicely with bojack visiting penny; that the wound had completely healed until he showed up again. The family has definitely moved on and forgotten about him.

so in the end Bojack's mother suffered alzheimer by the end of the season? I can't stop feeling bad for her despite how she treated Bojack but her backstories helped me understand she wasn't a shit person to begin with, she became cold as a person thanks to her childhood

The wound had healed, yeah. But then he tore it open again. And I doubt Charlotte's going to let him get away with it.

>so in the end Bojack's mother suffered alzheimer by the end of the season?
I'm not sure what this question is asking

Well she almost kill Holly in the process.

>You're... in Michigan.

There is really nothing sexually appealing about that shot of him, unlike this one

There's also sugar and lemons in the fridge.

>ywn hold down mr. pb while he looks at you that way and you're about to play with his red rocket and his tight boypussy

Butterscotch is a monster who fucked up his family for three generations. he's the worst dad.

>three generations

you're in Sup Forums, in athread about a cartoon of talking animals, i don't know what is surprising for you

I think Butterscotch was very hot

He was absolutely a shitty dad.

I think the reason Beatrice had more of an impact on Bojack was because of some Freudian shit. He's even aware of this. Like, in S3E9, Princess Carolyn says he "wants a mommy [he] can slide [his] dick in and out of", and he doesn't even contest that. Basically Bojack is unconsciously attracted to his mother, a woman he also hates, so his feelings about her are a lot more confused and fucked-up than his feelings toward his dad.

And before some nerd says "Freud was wrong" this is a work of fiction. Freud can be right in the context of fiction.