Why does Kurtz have such awful taste in...everything?

Why does Kurtz have such awful taste in...everything?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gsdra1kB6ng
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The run up to this.

And this gem here topping off the shitcake.

The Empire Strikes Back is about the looming possibility of failure, both physical and spiritual and ends with the heroes bruised and defeated, albeit hopeful.

How is that like any other Star Wars film?

Also laser swords and spaceships are not themes.

Scott is literally the people RLM make fun of.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gsdra1kB6ng

I'm not a huge fan of PvP or anything, but why do you automatically assume that Francis is the strawman while Brent is echoing Kurtz point of view? They're both deeper characters than that.

Into Darkness made me marathon seasons 1 & 2 of TOS, so I can't fault it too much - it's also the reason I went through all the Trek comics for so long. I actually like Ep VII, but I agree that Rey getting all the Force powers out of nowhere was bullshit.

Also, holy SHIT did Kurtz's change since I last read it. It's not as bad as Penny Arcade's art, but it sure as hell isn't an improvement.

Did you ever see that re-edit of the first movie? That was only available on DVD and is forever out of print for some obnoxious reason? I heard it rally improved the pacing.

But that's true.

Mostly because in a lot of contexts that's exactly the dynamic is. Especially when Kurtz likes to comment on media and such.

>tfw I can't watch TOS because I'm a sucker for romance and suddenly dropping the blondie girl made me sad
I know Star Trek is full of degenerates who can't into a normal relationship but I thought maybe she would become Kirk's true love who dies tragically ;_;

Well, I'm going to watch my asian dramas where the characters won't kiss until the last episode.

Why did they ditch her from the movies stating with the second?

Can we please talk about the arc where Cole's daughter shows up and she's a quirky thicc dangerhair who has all Kurtz's opinions?

Quirky thicc dangerhai LESBIAN by the look of it.

So progressive.

Here's my viewing guide.

Reminder that Kurtz lives a fantasy life through his characters because he can't have children due to his condition.

what condition?

I remember loving the sixth movie as a kid but when I re-watched I had a little trouble stomaching the pacing or how silly it is (not that I think Trek has ever been 100% serious).

It would have been so much better if they had gotten either Saavik back instead of having to use a new character. The villain reveal would have been great.

Of course it would have been best if Kirstie Ally had stayed on the whole time. Maybe the character wouldn't have been ditched from the fourth and fifth movies and, having been a hero character for almost the whole movie series, the villain reveal in the sixth movie would have been EXCELLENT.

I like him, he's comfy, and unlike Penny Arcade I don't need to know about some weird new shit to get the joke.

Basically Kurtz has this thing where his body essentially didn't finish going through puberty properly, which is why his voice is so high, a large part about why he's so fat (he actually does have glandular problems) and most importantly, his testes didn't develop properly.

Nonetheless Brent is being the I AM SILLY!!! here, so even if he's supposed to be right, he's way too excited about it and is ignoring Francis's reasonable points.

Literal man-child.

At least he has a medical reason. What's YOUR excuse?

Francis folds to every one of Brent's shitty points; "Yeah...", "But..." which I imagine is supposed to make him look like a goalpost-shifting nitpicker.

Brent's anger in the final panel is just supposed to be le reasonable gentleman losing patience with the buffoon's nonsense.

>Janeway hotter than seven of nine.
Can anyone have taste this bad? Is such a thing even possible? Is this a sign of the end times?

I stopped reading PVP years ago because Kurtz's tastes are obnoxious. I wasn't enjoying the comic, anymore. It wasn't funny or clever, it was just an opportunity for him to use his characters as mouthpieces to take easy shots at strawman arguments.

In these strips, Francis' complaint is essentially that the Force Awakens is a repetitive retread of a movie we've already seen, but it's not presented that way; it's dumbed down to, "the Death Star again," which is easy to take down with, "lightsabers again, spaceships again," but nobody that dislikes Episode VII is arguing that point - they're arguing that J.J.Abrams' approach to these movies, both Star Wars and Star Trek, is to lean heavily on nostalgia for an unearned payoff because he's too shallow a filmmaker to create his own sense of emotional investment in the situations and characters that he's directing.

But that's harder to refute and can't be condensed into an easily dismissed word bubble as the punchline to a joke, so instead you get .

I like to masturbate to cartoons.

>liking mediocre movies
OK, whatever.

>using a retarded argument
Now I'm peeved. Having to destroy a giant planet-demolishing space station by attacking it's weak point for a whole act IS a huge part of a movie and it's a lazy hack job to repeat it. "Character class", "weapon" and "transportation" ARE NOT.

>letting people watch that stupid episode where Kirk defeats the omnipotent aliens by getting them drunk and/or horny
Yeah, no

I failed in everything, lost my good looks in an accident and now just waste my life trying to feel happy again.

Got to take the good with the bad to get the whole experience.

Plus I loved that episode.

>Squire of Gothos
>A Taste of Armageddon
'okay'
>The Devil in the Dark
>Tomorrow is Yesterday
'good'
I don't find that shit logical.

Also, Errand of Mercy is the one with the Klingons' first appearance?

You're telling me that strip still exists?

Why?!

captain goatee isn't putting up a solid argument for his case, and it's a case i agree with. but lieutenant ponytail isn't putting up an argument for why they're not the same movie at all, just that they all repeat some aspects so it's fine that force awakens does it too.

I don't think you understand the strip, OP. Neither of those opinions are meant to be Kurtz's. Brent and Cole are hardcore Star Trek fanboys, while Francis is the new generation who grew up after Star Trek hit its prime, and doesn't really care about it.

The joke is hardcore fan of X vs guy who doesn't really like X (Sword is probably a reference I don't get), not a commentary on how good X is. It's not a very funny joke, but it's not as bad as OP thinks.

The few solid successes from the webcomic boom have gained entrenched audiences. They can just roll on forever with very little effort.

This is why Boring Dads (formerly Penny Arcade) hasn't failed and fallen away.

I give her a pass on the opinions because Cole has all of Kurtz's opinions, and she's his daughter. it's a family dynamic, which is supposed to be sweet.

>Now I'm peeved. Having to destroy a giant planet-demolishing space station by attacking it's weak point for a whole act IS a huge part of a movie and it's a lazy hack job to repeat it. "Character class", "weapon" and "transportation" ARE NOT.

the best part is that they way they destroyed it is so forced to be like A New Hope.
>oh shit our bomb didn't destroy the death planet like we planned
>it did however open a hole at the end of this HEAVILY DEFENDED DESPITE BEING POINTLESS TRENCH THAT UNTIL NOW ENDED IN A SHEER WALL I SURE HOPE AN X-WING CAN RUN THROUGH SAID TRENCH AND BOMB THE DEATH PLANET TO SHIT
Force Awakens feels like someone watched the original and made a checklist of scenes to include, and a lot of them ended up in the same sequence to boot.

Francis was 16 or so back in 2000.

IT BROKE NEW GROUND!

AT-ST'S!
AT-ST'S!
AT-ST'S!
AT-ST'S!

Sure, but why even bother having a storyline where a new character shows up if she's just going to fit in perfectly? She did nothing of interest. Also she doesn't open her weird puckered mouth when she talks.

Kate Mulgrew does a good "woman in a position of authority" (she was also Titania, Queen of the Fae in Gargoyles), and if that happens to be your kink then it's really not that much of a stretch to prefer her to the shameless pandering of Seven-of Nine's bionic breasts.

I personally like strong women but I can't stand Janeway because she was just suck a terrible Captain. My preference for Seven was strictly because her outfit was sprayed on.

>why does this movie set during the reign of the Empire feature Imperial vehicles??? Fucking nostalgia pandering!!
RLM are such a bunch of hacks.

I heard Mulgrew started consciously playing Janeway as mentally unstable.

The implication is that the film isn't offering anything other than recognizable images (and mocking those satisfied with this), not just that they're there at all.

>PvP
Holy fucking shit, I forgot this existed. Of all the countless LOL threads and rampant webcomic shitposting on this site, this somehow managed to just drop off my radar completely.

Last time I read this trash was when the kid was thinking that old lady was going to fuck him or something

i think the problem is more "why is it that the only vehicles we see the empire use are ones we've already seen them use in the original trilogy?" they used the at-st's in a forest in the original trilogy and now they're just wandering around cities too, does the empire not have specialized vehicles or droids for occupied city crowd control? that'd be kind of neat to see. i'd say they're more hacks for criticizing r1 so heavily for it but passing a blind eye over tfa just because.

And yet they fellated TFA in their Half in the Bag review.

It wasn't about her, it was about Cole and his relationship with his grownup daughter.

Star Trek's prime was Next Generation, or the Original Series if you're old enough. Francis would have grown up with D9 and Voyager as a kid, and Enterprise as a young adult. It's no wonder he's not a big fan.

That's my point. The character is basically a terrible person, that's why seven of nine is a better choice by default.

But that's exactly what they fucking did.

Reminds of a land raider from Warhammer 40K but they both obviously owe a lot to the Mark IV.

well shit i guess i just forgot the movie then

I like the new armor design for the tankers.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that Scott Kurtz is the kind of nerd that wants a severe woman in a pantsuit and hair bun to discipline him.

Thank our lord and savior Georgie.

Their relationship was boring and not worth a whole storyline. "I'm fat and sad" was not a very good hook.

>Also, holy SHIT did Kurtz's change since I last read it. It's not as bad as Penny Arcade's art, but it sure as hell isn't an improvement.

in 2009 he was pretty much using reference for everything except people's heads. Yeha it looked alright (if you don't find cartoon heads on realistic bodies jarring) but it lacked any kind of stylistic trademark or creativity.

Honestly I don't understand Sup Forumss obsession with the idea that rigidly on model = good and any stylistic liberties = ugly. They're just different techniques

Missing the point.

>Did you clap at any of the NEW moments or memorable characters?
>Were there any?
>No!

Yes, this strip would have been more effective (relatively) if the man looked like a Kurtz-version of Hans Gruber instead of what looks like just closely referencing the film itself.

Episode Seven was beat for beat the same film as Star Wars, and the fundamental problem with Abrams as a director is that he's so thoroughly obsessed with the flow of action from scene to scene that he's incapable of having honest moments of decompression or reflection. Even his quiet moments are loud (e.g. the Spock/Kirk punchup or Rei finding the lightsaber).

It's weird to me that he gets so much love while Bay gets so much hate when they're both basically doing the same thing -- making perfectly serviceable films with high action content and an eye for robust cinematography.

Scott doesn't even care about PvP any more beyond keeping up with his core readers. He put all his eggs in the Table Titans basket

>NEW moments
There were? This ain't TFA, pal. You're trying a little too hard here in defending RLM.

Honestly Kurtz' most entertaining work was getting into huge public beefs with other industry figures over Twitter and such. He's kind of fallen off my radar since he's toned himself down in recent years

Ha ha, burn.

He's also physically lacking a sense of smell.

Anosmic.

Isn't Seven of Nine a borg? She totally can do that oo.

Different kink. With Seven's characterization, she was less dominatrix and more sexbot or, if you're into that kind of thing, mindbroken doll.

I stopped reading a decade ago, and now I feel really old.

I think it might be because Michael Bay cares less about a story being garbage.

one can't blame you, it's eminently forgettable

I don't agree with the entire list - I like the Mudd episodes, damn it, and Court Martial is an amazing episode

Jesus Christ; as someone who was anosmic for a few months, that shit is horrifying and he has my full sympathies.

Well if he's been that way his whole life it's not like he knows what he's missing

I was the same way about Sinfest. I got out just in time, it really went off the rails.

Well,less sympathetic but still sucks.

Trust me, anosmia sounds easy but it literally made me had a breakdown. The sense of smell is so vital to everything from hunger to sexual drive to so much.

I'm sure he had some horrible fight with wotc or pa that lead to him leaving acq. inc, but they're pretending to be adults and not talking publicly about it. Makes me sad. Kurtz drama was best drama.

I still wonder what it was that made him and Kris Straub stop talking when they used to be best friends

I had gotten tired of it beforehand, but this was the specific moment I said to myself, "No one's making me read this."

Neither is the Death Star. The guy on the left shifted the argument first.

>He's also physically lacking a sense of smell.
That's not what "he smells bad" means.

>there WAS a new thing
>...and everyone forgot it!
I can't tell if you've proved or destroyed your point.

Let me guess, the retard with the ponytail is supposed to be the witty lovable rogue of the cast.

he's basically just a hipster asshole

Didn't he left to start binwins minions? Focus on that rather than piggy back off the PA guys on acq Inc?
At least that's how I think they tried to sell it...

I used to read PvP, Penny Arcade and Girl Genius on a regular basis. I stopped because they just got so fucking boring. They drag on and on and become an endless bland mess.
Girl Genius spent 3 years in the fucking castle. Who has time to read that shit?
The only web comics I read now are Kill Six Billion Demons and Oglaf. I would probably read Prequel if it ever updated again (it wont).

Remember when Webcomics were going to be the wave of the future? I think they stopped because people are just used to binging entire series all in one go. There is no way I am reading a 10 year epic story at three pages a week. Publish a fucking book please.

Okay, as someone that likes Force Awakens, even I won't deny that it's New Hope.

>Remember when Webcomics were going to be the wave of the future?
Trouble is instead of emulating comic books they emulated newspaper strips.

>There is no way I am reading a 10 year epic story at three pages a week.
The sick thing is those are ideal updating circumstances, too. In an industry where hiatuses are the norm.

webcomics aren't an industry.
Hell, they barely qualify as a sub industry within the comic industry.

They're a fucking niche market at best.

Yeah, I regretted using the word "industry" immediately.

I enjoyed TFA but Into Darkness was a real piece of shit

>J.J.Abrams' approach to these movies, both Star Wars and Star Trek, is to lean heavily on nostalgia for an unearned payoff
This. So much this.

Ada's Demon and Prequel are the only webcomics which took full advantage of the medium.
Maybe that thing with the grey trolls as well although I never looked into it as the fanbase put me off.

For the record Steve Kuntz loved TFA and absolutely shat on R1. Honestly he's giving the other side a fair shot with Francis at the moment considering it's Brent who's doing the silly shit.

That KHAAAAAAAAN!!!! from Spock was the last straw.

Kurt'z is a self flagelating virtual signalling pussy. He's one of those assholes who assumes that jsut because he had life handed to him on a silver platter, that ALL white people did. He stops at nothing to jerk of to the force awakenings cause STRONG FEMALE LEAD and shit. Dude just goes where the popularity is. He rode penny-arcade's coat tails for the longest time, and now he's just the doing the whole WHITE PEOPLE ARE BAD shit cause it's the fad now.

>anosmic from birth
>read this shit

It's not something I've ever angsted over too much because I have no point of comparison, but yikes.

It's so weird to imagine what smelling is even like.