Will 2D ever make a comeback?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck
youtube.com/watch?v=iLskKgRbOJI
youtube.com/watch?v=u_S-8HCNZTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zMyUHLcPqPk
youtube.com/watch?v=Vm8iAHB6VkY
youtu.be/xf0WjeE6eyM
psfk.com/2015/09/the-little-mermaid-virtual-reality-animation-glen-keane-disney.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-o1sV4xlqJQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sadly no, which is a great loss if you ask me.

Such a loss

2D has been surpassed by 3D. that's like saying "will cave paintings ever make a comeback?" After paper replaced rocks.

>3D surpassed 2D
>3D still looks like shit

It will on October 6.

>Post ugly 2D shit

The Barney movie will be shit! SHIT!

You take that back, F Is For Family is beautiful and I will not tolerate such disrespectful opinions

Personally I feel when 2D is properly done it has an amazing aesthetic to it that 3d has yet to come close to. Notice how 3d is always stuck emulating 2d or real life, it hasn't come into its own and it might not.

>every CG movie is just a rip off of Pixar visually
>meanwhile Vidya delivers hundreds of different aesthetics that have to be rendered in real time rather than totally premade

When 3D is properly done it has an amazing aesthetic to it that 2d has yet to come close to youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck

There's a 2D theatrical film about ponies coming out in a few weeks. If you support it, studios might realize there's a market for 2D and make more movies.
But Sup Forums will never make that sacrifice.

>flash shit
>2D

It's Toonboom, not Flash. But both are 2D you dumb faggot. If OP said hand drawn then I wouldn't have brought it up.

>here is my amazing counter example
youtube.com/watch?v=iLskKgRbOJI
youtube.com/watch?v=u_S-8HCNZTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zMyUHLcPqPk

who gives a fucks
i suppose its like comparing pastels to paintings
they're just different mediums

>But Sup Forums will never make that sacrifice.
Good. Barneyshit doesn't deserve support.

Holy shit thank you.

Oh Lee.

2D has been surpassed for a while now. Plus 3D movies are almost guaranteed to make more money

Flash shit is still drawn by hand, what's your point?

it's all in stylization.

remember old pixar movies, the ones where they tried new things?

I really want to see more 2d cartoons that look like they inhabit 3d space. Multiplane is a really cool effect, people used to bust their ass making it work and now it's just the default state of compositing technology! Where's all the 2d shit with depth of field and complex camera motions!! damn it!!

DIGITAL INKING
I
G
I
T
A
L

I
N
K
I
N
G

... is what needs to come back, desperately so. Not that Disneyesque shit, or 2D Flash (which I don't even think ever left), and no shitty CalArts character designs either please and thank you.

Pic related is a vibrant example of said art style.

Or it could result in getting a slew of movies based off girly toys.

>not Transformers Animated or Ben 10
>no Avengers EMH
>no JL
You 2003fags really deserve Teen Titans Go

That's the gamble you have to take if you want to attempt to make 2D mainstream again. No way to know for sure.
But I guarantee 2D will stay dead until it becomes financially appeasing to studios again.

High production costs keeps competition out of the theatres. 2D is mostly one skill and has a very low cost outside of paying talent.

3D needs separate artist for pretty much every facet after preproduction. 2D is pretty much animators nd bg painters.

Most adults cannot tell Madhouse animation from Johnny Test.

Space Jam 2 will make a lot of money I hope

It really does depend on how much the horse movie cost to make. If they see that a 2D animated feature can be a hit and cost less than a CG movie, they'd be up for it.
Unfortunately, CG movies like can be produced pretty cheap now too. Captain Underpants cost $38 million to make, and upcoming faith based film cost $18 million to make (and looks it too). They might not have enough to convince studios to revive it.

The animation doesn't look very good though. I don't want the comeback of 2D films to look like that.

All of those are shit, especially in comparison to TT, and hence not used as examples (among other reasons).

>no one mentions Big Bad Fox

Come on, guys, support independent studios, they are our last chance.

2D is a virtual sign post that it's destined to the dollar bin at Walmart.

>'texting friend Avery' scene from Dispicable Me 2

You do know it was released in 3D, right?

something 2d tends to not do aswell is good light and shadow

I'd be fine with 3d if
>cell shading was used more often outside if video games
>not every studio aped Pixar's style and we would have a range from realistic to down right cartoony.
It always baffled me why the video game industry is the only industry where a sprite artstyle could fairly compete against a hyper realistic gritty arts style.

Both are still technically hand drawn even if they don't use ink and paint

That's a pretty stupid argument.
We didn't stop drawing when pictures became available, and we didn't stop writing when drawing became available. We didn't stop taking pictures when movies become available.

2D has value that 3D doesn't.

mlp:fim only showcases a television cartoon adaptation trend, eg zim, adventure time, rockos modern life.

It's Doug movie all over again.
Laika said they MAY make a 2D movie in the future. But knowing they only make Kino, not blockbusters, it won't bring back 2D for long.

Wasn't Don Bluth supposed to be making Dragon's Lair into a movie? I remember that Doug Walker shilled him at some point.

Just because you couldn't see every strand of fur being reflected by light does not mean 2D did not using its own version of mood lighting and color scripts.

A Dragon's Lair movie has been in the works since the 80's. And it's always just about to be made.

Also Sergio is completely right when he says that 2D definitely needs to advance its visuals a bit if it hopes to compete in the world of cinematic CG.

One of those type of things then.

Whats this from?

There's some 2d horse movie coming out soon

Bojack?

Nah, I think it's a sequel to Spirit

klaus
i havent heard any news in years though

The Barney movie will be shit! SHIT!

The pony movie on my 30th birthday

happy birthday

>2D has value that 3D doesn't.

No it doesn't
"Me like cave wall fuck canvas"
-you

>We didn't stop drawing when pictures became available
Not even the same media

>we didn't stop writing when drawing became available
??? What does this even mean? Writing and drawing even use to commonly be the same thing?

>We didn't stop taking pictures when movies become available.
This argument doesn't even make sense either because you need equipment to display a movie while a picture is by itself.

I don't mind 3D, in fact I do work on 3D art myself, but the thing is it's a lot easier to make a movie look good in 3D than in 2D, so it becomes a crutch for lazy filmmakers. Heck, even Video Brinquedo's 3D movies look better than their 2D ones.

I'd be ok with that if it meant a Lolirock movie or season 3.

only if you wish really really REALLY hard.

>it's a lot easier to make a movie look good in 3D than in 2D
I've always consideres it the opposite. Great if you've got mainstream feature film budget, but there's probably a reason why 2D kept hold of Television.

Heck, that'd likely be why we get so many award winning traditionally animated indy films from studios outside America.

Support films like The Bread Winner, The Red Turtle and The Big Bad Fox.

Based Hasbro baby.

that and NOT PUTRID ARTSTYLES.

That is CGI emulating 2D, not true 2D.

This is still imitating real life.

Am I the only one who thought Starfire and Red star were cute together

Argent was so gorgeous...

That's probably OPs point

No it's not. It's 2D shaded to look like CG.

No need to worry, anime exists.

This

>444 frames wasted on that shit

>wasted
it's called practice.

bump

No. 2D animation reached it's peak in the early 2000's. It's not getting any better.

2D animated movies will not return because of that movie.

That's because it won't return, until a major movie studio like Warner Brothers or Paramount or mini-major movie studio like Lionsgate makes a 2d animated move and becomes a success in the box office.

Considering you still can't get that movement any other way.

As opposed to what other high art animation Disney animators are accustomed to? Home on the Range?

There are very few western 2D Fantasia's you know.

What movement? "Acting"?

Dude, I watch the trailer and the animation look like shit, they even use a fucking PS2 CGI tier,

That movie will only be the final nail for the 2D movie coffin.

>Not likely
If anything, CG cartoons will continue to improve an diversify into multiple different kinds of styles.

This is because they tend to be more visually appealing to most adults and children, rather than just children. They also tend to be signs of a higher quality movie (esp is done well) and easier to make, due to the lack of drawing each frame. It's like claymation, but easier to make, edit, and can save animations and environments.

Decent CGI cartoons are too expensive. A single episode of Transformers Prime cost over an one million dollars

youtube.com/watch?v=Vm8iAHB6VkY

>Cost is the main reason why most cartoons are 2D, but also what CG cartoon movies (if done at least well) tenet to be associated with higher quality.
Although if CG becomes cheap enough, they may even take a somewhat 2D appearance, because they are easier to edit.

Imagine how much better Frozen could've been in 2D.

It would still be a boring average princess movie just like Princess & the Frog or Mulan.

He did in Humanz

It would of at least looked better.

I don't like this guy or this video but this is probably the best lighting I've seen in any animated work.

youtu.be/xf0WjeE6eyM

>2D definitely needs to advance its visuals a bit if it hopes to compete in the world of cinematic CG.

But 2d visuals look much better than 3d visuals and 2d has a much wider range of art styles.

You got a fucking problem with the Shrek Cinematic Universe?

3D feels more "impressive" in a movie theater than 2D

2D will make a comeback once movie theaters die out.

I really wish this would come out

>die out
>more movies have been consistently making a billion dollars than ever before in cinema history

Spongebob 2 came out two years ago and Spongebob 3 is in the works.

MLP won't affect anything because it's a franchise that already exists, it's bound to make some money, it proves nothing.
The only way of studios realizing there's a market for 2d is if a big studio makes the bet and creates a entirely new 2d movie, that sells more than the 3d releases of it's time.

it would look like PatF.

also; the visuals ar shit because of the rewrite which made it into generic little girls movie every female loves

Not technically 2d But I'd be hyped if VRanimations became main stream. If the public only latched on to3d due to novelty, than there is no qeustion why they won't watch vr animated films that were "analogue"made. And since vr is faster than animating on traditional 3d, I hope we will get something almost as soulful as 2d. psfk.com/2015/09/the-little-mermaid-virtual-reality-animation-glen-keane-disney.html

youtube.com/watch?v=-o1sV4xlqJQ

that is just the big money making blockbusters, and even then, only the ones that are successful. the rest of cinema is doing terrible. a mid-budget movie looking for modest returns can only get a small fraction of the funding it would have had in the past. it's a big investment huge return game now, as a result of the decline probably.

Yes but studios deciding to spend $100 mil (not including advertising) on a fucking Ben-Hur reboot then getting shocked when it doesn't make double its budget back isn't the result of "cinema dying", it's the result of stupid studio mentality thinking EVERYTHING needs to be a blockbuster.

If the movie was made on a $30 mil budget (And it'd probably look exactly the same), it would've made a big profit, because the movie STILL made $90 mil which is still way more than a Ben-Hur reboot deserves.