All-new Guardians of the Galaxy #10

For a Wednesday, there are so few storytimes up right now. Let's change that with the new issue of Duggan's Guardians wherein the opening arc finally ends and we get the stage set for all that is to follow.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/910604025501851648
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

so it was mar-vell and his bands.

can you name them all Sup Forums?

>They made the Caregiver fat
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well apart from the ones already named in the book, you have the Champion, the Trader, the Eradicator, the Caregiver, the runner, the judicator, the possessor, not sure about the one in the hat maybe it's the explorer.

Thank you for storytiming, OP!

There are way more Elders than I thought there were.
No runner in that mix though.
I think the Inbetweener was the original possessor of the soul stone so they probably made at least one OC to replace him.

Disappointing. The Elders already know of the multiverse resetting in Ewing's Contest of Champions. That's why they were fighting over the ISO-8 in battleworld which was just another name for the power primordial in more concentrated form.

We can fanwank it as them possibly being from another universe but thats fucking dumb.

Continuity is dead if you aren't Ewing apparently.

NM, spotted the runner in the background. I'm blind

Yeah, I think it's The Explorer. He's the only one of them that wears a hat. They just changed his body shape, which they also did for a couple others.

>implying anyone ever pays attention to anything Ewing writes
It's a one-way street. Ewing obsessively follows and references the continuity every one else sets, but no one offers him the same courtesy.

I love Duggan's take on Drax so much.

What an uneggspected development.

So I know not everyone is a fan of Duggan but this weirdly lines up with a lot of the stuff about Marvel in Hypercrisis threads. It's already been pointed out multiple times before that Marvel's multiverse is much more mechanical and robotic and nature than DC's organic multiverse. I'm not saying that as an insult to Marvel, but more that where in this page they're referring to source code and hard drives and the universe being an incredibly complicated simulation, it goes thematically well when set against DC's organic-based Bleed and Cosmic Womb of a multiverse, which is often described as being alive and sentient in some way.

>last of the Flora Colossi
Did all of Groot's species die off screen?

Marvel's multiverse is much more defined than that of DC and a lot more stories have been told at that level. I think that there are aspects to Cosmic Marvel that are very mathematical and "coded", but there's also a very metaphysical and emotional arc to it as well (see Starlin's Warlock work, The Celestial Madonna arc of the Avengers, etc.). I think it's hard to place either one in a camp that's strictly organic or mechanical.

well, finally

Guess so. You can probably just no prize it as Planet X getting destroyed in one of the many, MANY recent wars where a bunch of planets got destroyed. Blame it on the Builders or something.

Could this be referring to the events of Ultimates #100? Not sure if everything was reset persay, but there's an implied soft reset with the freeing of Eternity and the restoration of the tribunal. This might not hold up due to chronological stuff with release order and when Duggan actually wrote this issue, but that's what I imagined it was talking about at least.

Yea case in point the Tribunal is more mystical than cosmic in nature. Adam Warlock himself has some mystical quantum magic properties. Its pretty cool that the further cosmic you go the line between science and magic completely blurs.

The Collector DID implied he super-simplified the whole thing so they could understand it.

the mystic side of the existence is ruled by Chaos&Order which are in turn lower in the cosmic scale than Eternity&Infinity(Time&Space)

the Marvel Multiverse is a Narrative Machine(which is why Loki got such an upgrade when he became God of Stories, and Owen Reese, the Narrative Man is God), made of Stories told about Places(space&time). Them making sense or not and to what degree(chaos&order) is important to the overall balance of everything but not the MOST important part("story>continuity" though usually it's more "story>details").
Still, they ARE an important part of the machine and if excessively unbalanced, a all-powerful arbiter(Editor) is necessary to set things straight.
The lack of such a figure can only result in the complete annihilation of everything and victory of Oblivion(see Marvel falling sales)
Still, Balance is the key: Architects building over-complicated but in the end fragile narrative structures(Builders\Hickman), Supreme Overlords controlling everything(Shooter\Logos, but also Doom to a degree) cannot work.

Is anybody going to storytime the Captain/Ms. Marvel Generations issue?

It hasn't been ripped yet. Comixology servers were down all morning so most of today's releases aren't out yet.

Franklin Richards doesn't care about plant people.

The issue was great, but I'm kind of bothered with the Elders getting not that many appearances together that Duggan didn't remember or read CoC(which was a great book), the Grandmaster and the Collector already knew they were fine after the universe rebirth.

That was great.

So that's why Duggan keeps bringing up simulation theory in interviews.

That's a neat metaphor to explain the usage of Infinity Gems/Stones.

So was MVC:I a result of the gems crashing the universe?

Is that why the story was so bad?

Not yet, gotta wait until October.

That said have a preview

Maybe when Outlaw destroyed the Iso-Sphere at the end of CoC he erased the memories of the Maestro and the Elders of the Universe so that they wouldn't come back to Battleworld to collect the pieces again

The only bad Duggan GotG issue was the one with the synergy Awesome mixtape... what a waste of an issue!

well, time is a funny thing.

Also, it might be he didn't notice the differences back then. It would explain his paranoia at trying to get the expected reaction out of The Collector even more, fearing he managed to not notice the changes in person he has known for literally billions of years

that had samnee on art and was actually solid. wtf are you saying?

Wait if the Nega-bands were Mar-Vell's then that was his corpse in the space suit? Wha?

>Thanos returned from the Cancerverse

That happened awhile ago but it implies that Duggan is ignoring a lot of shit that happened in between so I'm good. Also it's good to see Star-Lord being being smart again and that he has the safety of the Galaxy as a priority.

Rocket on the other hand continues to be annoying as fuck, only Ewing has made him likeable for me as of late. I really don't like how they turned him into MCU Rocket.

Going by Rich's reaction that's Robbie isn't it? We're suppose to find out who Talonar is next month so the anons who said he was Robbie might be right.

Though theres the small issue of Thanos and Quill left the cancerverse at the same time.

But whatever, I don't mind if he ignores aspects of the Bendis run. More power to him.

he's now one armed dead corpse that the raptors have. but i think they just wanted the bands but i could be wrong.

oh that could be the case, they were erasing the memories of the champions, so that makes sense and the collector/grandmaster could have done the same to the other elders.

if someone deserves to get his shit ignored is Bendis since he does that to other writers constantly.

Oh hey, it's one of the MVCI Infinity Stones.

That issue was the only good thing anyone but Gunn has ever done with the music AND had based Samnee on art. Miss me with your shit taste namefag.

>liking Guardians of the Syngery starring Memes of the Galaxy
wew

Stop using my name! but I agree, fuck all the people who likes MCU GotG!

The Collector, the Grandmaster, the Champion, the Trader, the Obliterator, the Contemplator, the Posessor, the Runner, the Gardener, the Caregiver (she's gained weight), the Explorer (he's also gained weight) and the Judicator.
The only Elders missing are the Astronomer, Father Time and that one OC Elder from Black Vortex who had no interaction with any other Elder so she might as well not be one even if she called herself one.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used the name field when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your name when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a name when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to anonymous image-board culture!

Kind of nice to see that the Elders really do love each other as brothers.

Goddamnit Loki, Gardener was one of the few Elders that wasn't a megalomaniac that went around wrecking shit.

They don't'. But after billion years together, they are family.

"Eh, old shit. New universe, let's try something different."

I like how the various plot points ended up connected
Genuinely excited for the Legacy storyline now

Wait, why is Loki fucking shit up now with the Elders? Is this a fresh development or connected to another series?
Also, what has Thanos been up to?

Unknown. Most likely he's stirring shit up because he's the God of Stories so he makes storylines start

Pacifist Drax vs. Ultron aliens in a few months, get hyped.

They should retcon it as Rich sending to Drax and Peter back to 616 while Thanos stays behind with him. He could open stargates by siphoning the power of a star right? So they can give him a reason for being able to do that, plus he was crazy powerful back then.

Then just have it Thanos and Rich in the cancerverse, duking it out for awhile in, then they get separated while the Revengers go at both of them, then something causes Thanos to get out, then Rich gets out.

Have a good writer fill in the details but lol it won't happen.

Yeah that was weird, they took the whole corpse, then again maybe Talonar didn't want to tip anyone about the bands.

Proof that tripfags are the worst

so
annihilation: conquest 2.0?

At least Duggan bothered to explain it even if it was Loki being a little asshole that caused it.

That said I thought Loki was still mostly good, like what the fuck is his endgame anyway?

Annihilation Conquest 2.0

also he doesn't look so pacifist there.

>also he doesn't look so pacifist there.
Solicit says he still is.
>How is Drax going to deal with being overrun by Ultron-ized aliens when he still refuses to throw a punch?

unless of course there is weird Resurrection powers coming? Maybe we get two Vells this run?

twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/910604025501851648

>Issue 10 arrives today, and in 2 weeks a heartbreaker in # 11.
It's going to be a heartbreaker because DICK RIDER FINDS OUT TALONAR IS HIS BROTHER.

Fucking hype. I don't understand how people aren't enjoying this series.

Maybe someone should storytime this entire first arc later. Now that we know the full stakes and have a better idea of Duggan's long-term plans, I'm feeling all the more excited.

>The Elders already know of the multiverse resetting in Ewing's Contest of Champions

They could be a different set of Elders of the Universe.

I think it's more along the lines of Gruenwald (who really nailed down a lot of the mechanics of the Marvel Omniverse) being more a systemic kind of person.

Both had their multiverses develop organically, with DC's being a clever solution to reuse old IP without invalidating their new ones with the same names, and Marvel's was more of a way to handwave What If's narrative structure of Uatu the creeper peeper telling us we got the Good End.

It is Loki's nature to shit in people's cornflakes and generally cause trouble.

>Maybe someone should storytime this entire first arc later

Yeah, I might could do that at some point.

>It's going to be a heartbreaker because DICK RIDER FINDS OUT TALONAR IS HIS BROTHER.

Yeah all signs point to that being what's going to happen.

Honestly who came up with that theory? Was it Sup Forums because first time I saw it was in Sup Forums and then it just spread to other websites. I am kind of amused as to how quickly people figures that out because it never occurred to me.

Hell I didn't even questioned who Talonar was until Peter started wondering how Talonar knew him. Even then I never thought about Robbie.

They got autistic over the minor synergy stuff and hardcore DnAfags are hard to please.

On the bright side the Richfans from the Nova Prime website (who now hang on facebook) are hyped for the next issue.

We are going on a full elder quest? This is gonna be good.

On a side note, the art in this book is great. Glad to see at least some marvel books are holding up.

>On a side note, the art in this book is great

Kuder+Svorcina+Cosmic is seriously a match made in heaven.

Are we ever gonna see Moondragon again?

It's funny how even after the runaway success of two movies and 4 years of fucking Bendis the GOTG book is back to being a cult hit, even moreso than it was under DnA.

Last we saw her she was on the Knowhere Corps with Bug, Mantis, and Cosmo. Tbe one decent idea Bendis introduced to Cosmic and nobody ever followed up on it, not even him.