If a monkey hacked away at a text editor for an infinite number of years

would it eventually write code that was conscious?
Of course not, stupid atheists.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Rcc7xgD2dM
youtube.com/watch?v=J8cOLIOaikU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Trumptards btfo

Wtf?! I love the cosmic magic kike now!

If you mash on a keyboard like a dumb animal, are you actually typing random letters, or a similar pattern of bullshit over and over again.

>infinite number of years
yes
I don't think you understand how bizarre infinity is

>would it eventually write code that was conscious?

what did he mean by this

read some borges you fucking nigger

This was disproven...

>"IF monkeys were given a type-writer they would eventually write the works or Shakespeare."

This is blue-pilled garbage. The monkey's have no understanding of context and in studies were shown to favor patterns of keystrokes and even just jam the space-bar for long periods on end. They did not hit every key at an even rate or even randomly and the entire meme is autistic.

It'd write no more than 650,000 emails

Yes

sure will. the probability that a random sequence of characters will be the code to the linux kernel is the same as any other random sequence of the same length.

>Mexican
>Intellectual

>New Mexican
>Intellectual

The point is actually about humans evolving as a society and eventually producing art

Like saying if you give hydrogen atoms enough time, they learn how to split themselves

This
I'm an #AbrahamSacrifice now

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

it's not literally monkeys you insufferable retard, "monkey" is scientific lingo for an agent that does random things, for example when they say a "monkey" has a high probability of "beating the market" when picking random stocks, they aren't literally talking about monkeys, you pick random stocks with a computer or whatever, same idea with the typewriters, it's talking about it in a theoretical sense, you couldn't do it with actual monkeys for an infinitely long period of time in practice anyway

fuck you for making me waste time on this

In infinite amount of time does not guarantee the any event must occur
There is nothing stopping every monkey from slapping the space bar until the heat death of the universe

>a fucking burger
see

implying that humans aren't creations of God and rather that we're some nigger-tier ape derivative. nice theory, evolution.

It would produce every rap song in the history of the world in a few hundred

this is true

As long as its not using vim, yes

My post still applies
As time approaches infinity, the probability of an event occurring approaches 100 percent. But infinity cannot be reached, and therefore a specific outcome cannot be guaranteed
This goes for monkeys as much as for random number generators

you'd have to make some weak assumptions for this to work

it's purely theoretical in an information theory sense

FUCK YOU

>In infinite amount of time does not guarantee the any event must occur
It does for any event with a probability greater than 0

not unless it compiles it

It's a thought experiment you dumb piece of shit. The hypothetical monkeys are supposed to be hitting the keys randomly. I don't know why the meme was spread with monkeys, it's supposed to by a RNG but humans like tangible things like monkeys so their you go

>if I flip a coin twice, one of them must be heads.

they didn't hit the keys randomly though faggot, they showed favoritism among the symbols and different sized keys

>if I flip a coin an infinite number of times, one of them must be heads.
fyp

the monkeys with typewriters is just an analogy to make it easier for sub-100 IQ normies to understand, but you fucking burgers still can't understand it

>twice
>infinite

The limit as x approaches infinity
F(x) = 1 - (1/x)

you don't understand that i'm referencing a real study where they did this and i'm losing my sides at how triggered you are about your cute saying being called out for the simplistic crap that it is

given a finite sequence of code, the probability of generating that code as a subsequence approaches 1 in the limit

The existence of consciousness does not prove the existence of God, unless you want to define God as consciousness or as the universe or something similar. It might very well be the case that studying consciousness and creating it artificially are in principle beyond the reach of science, but that would not in any way establish the existence of God. Unless you can show me the logic behind suggesting that consciousness implies God, your argument makes no sense to me.

it's completely irrelevant and you're retarded for saying it was disproven because of it, and now you're just pretending to be le epic troll

kill yourself

Yes.
Heres proof.

You can rewrite you question as.
Does X happen before Y.
X being the predicate, "a random sequence of bits is 'conscience'.
Y being in this case FOREVER.

So you can prove this is true by just proving the probability of the predicate is not 0.
As in, "anything that can happen, with enough time, WIILL HAPPEN".

So...
The real question is.
Can code be "conscience"...
And the only answer to that is.

If you consider yourself "conscience", and we are just "chemical machines" then of course, somewhere "conscience" is encoded.

As with all these monkey + infinite things. you missed the point.

ITS ALREADY HAPPENED....!!!

1/x diverges.

if there's actually a degree of true randomness, then this doesn't matter

Even through random sequence the computer would run out of power way before any meaning was found

x goes from 0 to positive infinity smarty pants

kek enjoy your pointless posturing on randomness while refugees take your women from you. i'm sure they have much more interesting things to think about, you all really deserve to die out for how boring you seem to be

you can have the abstract idea of an infinitely long random sequence without involving a computer

sweden is still much more white than burgerland

The SERIES of 1/x DIVERGES
The SEQUENCE of 1/x CONVERGES
This is why you can't use the Nth term test to prove convergence

t.Calc II student

Oh yeah, Sweden is so relevant.

Let me just shoot off all my favorite Swedish people:

>
>
>
>

hmm...

What study got an infinite number of monkeys to type away on infinite typewriters for an infinite amount of time? (As the thought experiment is supposed to go)

The only one I've ever heard of involved like 20 monkeys for a fairly short amount of time. It's kind of an unfalsifiable question though, and thus cannot be taken literally. The important part about it is that given an infinite amount of time and an infinite number of possibilities you'll end up fascinating results, especially if certain outcomes make others more probable (ie randomly assigned fitness functions in genetic algos, for instance).

The point is some things are so infinitely small that the exercise is idiotic. The universe isn't infinite nor is time

Why are you assuming that anyone has time for impossible hypotheticals. It's cute, really, but who the fuck cares. Is that supposed to blow my mind?

here's some fluff to think about:

Z = {x | x is a true statement}

this is the set of all true statements. it exists. can you know what's in that set?

yeah because tuscumbia alabama is so relevant

don't quit your day job

Yes

ok user you got me I live in Tuscumbia fuck off you win

Let me write the work of shake spear

wdiwdjdjijdjwo;dfkowj3trfp;jo3fpjkwopfjkofje3fd[

Now if a billion neckbeards did the same we would end up with the works of shakespear yes
or would we just end up with the same bullshit over and over again

>Atheist btfo god exist

Nick Bostrom is actually a fairly prolific figure in the realm of computer science/AI (especially hypotheticals relating to AGIs and ASIs) related topics right now. It's not as if you'd know anything about such topics though, knuckledragger.

No, this is only possible as a thought experiment. To have a monkey actually sit down in front of a computer and type for 100 years let alone billions of eons is not possible in our universe. because the circumstances for this event to take place are so absurd it won't happen.

The American part of this exchange was fucking embarrassing to watch

You couldn't even define the amount of time it would take to randomly generated it

youtube.com/watch?v=_Rcc7xgD2dM

youtube.com/watch?v=J8cOLIOaikU

Why are you assuming everyone doesn't? It's not an impossible hypothetical so much as an approachable metaphor for something that cannot be experienced by human perception: the extreme march of time as the universe ages.

>If a monkey hacked away at a text editor for an infinite number of years would it eventually write code that was conscious?

Ask India. They've had that experiment running for a while disguised as IT companies judging by the quality that they produce

They need to program the compiler to understand whst huehuehue means.