Does he actually have some kind of disability, or is everyone in the series just being presumptuous?

Does he actually have some kind of disability, or is everyone in the series just being presumptuous?

He probably doesn't.
Remember the one that told him he did was fucking Jerry, and he didn't check with a psychiatrist or anything, just from the fact that he
does porrly in school Jerry assumes he's retarded

I fucking hate jerry for sayiing that. You don't tell a kid he's disabled when you don't know for sure. You can't assume things like that. If anything it just makes it harder for a kid because it makes them hate themselves, thinking they're born dumb, its really hurtful

And the other people that called him disabled was fucking Rick, to which everyone's a retard, and that Vindicator. He's probably like Rick in that he learns on his feet, he can't pay attention long enough to pass history class, but he can disarm a neutrino bomb under pressure

>Remember the one that told him he did was fucking Jerry, and he didn't check with a psychiatrist
How do you know?
Really how do you know this isn't something Jerry learned from a psychiatrist off screen?

I think the show is implying Morty is an idiot - just so we can get the surprise later on he is rather intelligent.

He has been shown to outwit Rick and learn about various things with his interactions with him. Likely he is "bored" in School and doesn't make good grades. He is also sometimes a punching bag for others so he undermines himself. At least early on - a defining characteristic of Morty was that he was submissive,shy and complacent with his role in things.

Having hung out with Rick and gotten desensitized he is alot less of a push-over and even has been shown taking incentive on his own.

I really wish Sup Forums had a tagging system, so that I could effectively get rid of the R&M shit threads that don't fall under the word filter set-up that I have.

>Morty figured out the parasites couldn't create unhappy memories before Rick

>The only thing keeping Morty from being crazy rich and successful is his crippling insecurity

>The citadel has systematically opressed Mortys because they know a cocky Morty is potentially more dangerous than every Rick out there

Being raised by boarderline abusive parents probably gave the poor kid some kind of mental illness, but I think Morty's got the potential to be a genius.

Or maybe he's an autistic savant or whatever

In the pilot, Jerry's exact words were "He's got some kind of disability or something"
That doesn't sound like something he learned from a psychiatrist, it sounds like something he just guesses is true

Morty's 1/4 Rickness is overwhelmed by his half Jerryness

Morty actually has alot of potential and intelligence but he just lacks the confidence and security to fulfill it by himself, as shown in the toxins episode.

Which kinda makes sense since he's pretty much at least the intelligence of Beth but with the insecurities of Jerry.

i think that followed up with rick tricking his parents believing hes smart is meant as a bit as a red herring because if one pays close attention you can notice that actually is quite smart when it comes to certain things

Well Jerry and Beth seem like the kind of assholes/idiots who even if they got Morty tested wouldn't have the patience to commit the disability to memory. So Jerry would be aware he has a disability but unaware of what specific disability because he forgot it.

Ultimately I think Morty is just underestimated by everyone because he's ugly and awkward.

the explanation about the Rick brainwaves being cancelled out by the Morty brainwaves only makes sense if Morty isnt a moron or disabled but is actually clever in a completely different direction from Rick.
Waves dont cancel out because one wave is the opposite of another. they cancel out when two waves are the same but shifted so the a peaks and troughs meet and thus cancel each other out.

the only reason Morty doesnt know this is because he hasnt taken trigonometry yet.

Is Morty canonically "ugly" ? I always just assumed he was average and blended in the background.

thats bad enough to be ugly as far as teens care. either you're shockingly attractive or ugly

"Evil" Morty outwitted the entire citadel of Ricks and when Morty prime got rid of his insecurities during the detox, it was shown that he had the intelligence to lead an incredibly successful lifestyle. Also he can disable neutrino bombs and do a whole bunch of other shit that puts him way out of range of being mentally retarded. Morty is a genius if anything.

Considering Rick makes him miss weeks of school at a time, it seems unlikely. We know that he can actually learn pretty quickly, since he's picked up complex skills from his time with Rick.

He isn't dumb, he just has enormous gaps in his education.

Well... given what happened with Evil Morty and the Citadel, maybe while Ricks have the logical/scientific intelligence, a Morty is actually emotionally intelligent?

I think that given all the evidence in the show, he's not dumb, be probably had ADD and didn't care about learning in the classroom. With a father as irresponsible as Jerry and a horrible mother like Beth that doesnt hesitate to throw him to the curb, it's entirely likely he is simply not able to reach his potential.

Rick could cure this, but he spends half his time removing moments from his memory, so fuck it. Nothing will ever happen until Morty is older and has an ongoing problem with all the gaps in his memory .

Morty's definitely an idiot. You gotta remember that Rick wasn't in the picture until Morty was 13, so he was pretty shite at learning even basic arithmetic before he was being pulled out of class to go on adventures. Still, he's not exactly retarded. He's able to learn from experience, and that's the difference now. Morty's an experienced idiot. He's not exactly going to outwit anybody, but he has gone through enough that he's capable in his own right.

He may have some sort of disability like dyspraxia or ADHD that just isn't shown, but I think it's pretty clear in the show that he's not intellectually impaired.

you're projecting

No MORTY is the one projecting that opinion on himself. He's average, but is convinced he must be noticably below average and acts pretty Jerry-ish because of this self image problem.

Nobody cares.

Maybe assburger?
cause he acting like me

Nigga taught himself how to defuse bombs because Rick won't stop building them when he's blackout drunk. Also he became incredibly successful once he got rid of all his insecurities in the toxin episode

he might not be the most scientific sort but hes certainly very capable with hands on and interpersonal work

basically he wont ever out science Rick but if hes allowed to flourish without his insecurities he defeinitely more capable fo success than any of the rest of his family

"successful" Beth is still a drunk mess, Jerry is a depressed drug addict, Summer is generically popular but unimpressive and Rick is...well Rick)
Morty is a sociopath but seems genuinely happy, honest with himself and skipped right out of School to highly successful in business

> ... something Jerry learned from a psychiatrist off screen?

Yes user. This is definitely a good precedent to set in storytelling...

Don't show. Never Show. Don't tell either. This is Sharia Law storytelling and you will speak when fucking spoken to!

>Morty is a sociopath

I don't see how this doesn't put him on the same "Successful but fucked up" line that the rest of the family (well, Rick and Beth) are on.

being a sociopath doesnt need to mean you are either crazy or miserable
he was clearly making it work and being upfront about all of it, no lying to himself about what was going on

he seemed genuinely happy and at peace in the world, compared to the emotional wrecks of his parents

Below-average intelligence, phallic incontinence, increasing ruthlessness and aggression. Hanging out with Rick has also made him more cognizant and cautious; Season 1 Morty would have just turned Pickle Rick over instead of suspecting that the act would result in his grandfather humiliating him in some fashion

No.

Morty just gets constantly shit on by everyone. Which creates a lot of mental baggage that sabotages him.

When the machine took all that toxic baggage away. Morty became a Chad Stockbroker.

Morty's not a sociopath. He used to feel bad, but he's resigned himself to the fact that Rick is a monster and people will always die when he's involved.

pretty much, people just treat him like an abject failure regardless of the situation (even his heartless bitch mother)

shit like that gets to someone, especially someone Mortys age

If they got Morty tested then morty would have already known he had a disability or that they suspected that he had a disability. Them saying that took them completely by surprise

Morty is the least ugly boy at his school, he's just a shrimp.

>logical/scientific intelligence
>emotionally intelligent

I think he meant high IQ vs high EI. It doesn't seem to me that Morty is a high EI individual though, he's around average. He could only seem high EI compared to the literal and figurative psychopaths that make up the Rick and Morty setting.

Reminder that a Beth free Jerry can become a Rick stomping warlord or an abomination slaying apocalyptic savage.

Do the Morties get their capabilities from Jerry?

Morty's probably just street-smart genius because of all the crap he's gotten into with Rick, while Rick is so book-smart genius he's oblivious lots of stuff

No.

He can disable ricks inventions and seems to be learning at a very fast pace under rick.

He pissed himself in the middle of class, does that seem normal to you?

Morty is rick, just in the past.

sadly I saw that more than a couple times at college with people drinking all night then going to class still plastered, and passing out and pissing themselves 10 minutes later

>my Ukranian folk music gathering webpage doesnt cater to my exact specific needs at all times!

Suck-a-duck, user

Was it ever explained WHY Morty has such a large gap in his education up until Rick came back? There doesn't really seem to be anything bad in his home that may have effected his learning at school

I want to be fugged by Morty

His nose seemed a little bit odd. Here, I fixed it.

Wasn't that because of the Mega Seed up his butt?

So what you're saying is, you wish you had a safe space?

In Summer's flashback in the parasite episode, we saw that Beth was a closet alcoholic before Rick came back. Well, presumable before Rick came back, anyways. Not to mention his dad is Jerry. And his teacher is... Not the best.

>This
We can also see Morty being intelligent when all of user's descriptions were removed due to Toxicity. He landed a job in wallstreet and managed to get himself a high-end condo with a lot of expensive looking items.

You don't get all of that 'just' for being confident. You have to be intelligent enough to know how economics work, real estate works, how to handle people in a business, how to manage your finances.

Morty's smart as all hell, and what he doesn't know he picks up on the fly. What's holding him back is him being treated like a dipshit pussy by others and to himself.

Morty is adorable!

Justin roiland has gone on record saying if Morty grows up he would have Jerry's looks + Rick's intelligence I just hope he ends up actually not going to drugs and be better than his family but this is Rick and Morty so probably not

Wait, really? I'd love a source on that

Idk if it's tire or not got it from TV tropes so idk but I hope it is

I've only seen up to the first episode of season two so cheers for the explanation. I really wish Summer stayed with the Devil doing occult shit, would've made an interesting parallel to Rick and Morty doing science related things.

This thread is painfully autistic. It's one thing to discuss a show and extrapolate and another to pedantically debate every quote and action by fictional characters to unearth nonexistent backstories and motivations.

I think in some respects Rick was right about him learning more from not being in class. He's had to step up and really push himself now that Rick's in his life and almost always on the verge of getting them both killed. He was able to think quickly in the first episode, and he's only gotten more intelligent from there. The more pressure he has put on him the better he does at all kinds of shit.

It could be his fear of public restrooms, because he was almost raped in one

Actual user, you don't have to be smart to be successful, you just have to be confident.

They're called *filters,* user.

It's a dumb cartoon show you idiots, just laugh at the skits and be done with it. There's absolutely nothing to over analyze

let me have my fun, user

He is awkward and insecure, thats all.