Isn't Bruce's retirement in the very first episode of Batman Beyond the ideal way for him to finally hang up the cowl?

Isn't Bruce's retirement in the very first episode of Batman Beyond the ideal way for him to finally hang up the cowl?

He doesn't willingly call it quits, ever. He compensates for growing older and slower and weaker by upgrading his tech. He goes and goes until, at long last, his body finally gives out on him in a way that all the tech in the world can't make up for. If he doesn't die mid-mission, THEN he retires, knowing that at long last he's literally incapable of being Batman any more. That always seemed like the outcome truest to Bruce's character for me. Neil Gaiman sort of touches on this in "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?". Bruce's fate is to be Batman for as long as he can.

Yes.

I dunno, my ideal end of 'Bruce Batman' basically goes something that also gives him emotional closure that he's not needed as batman anymore.

something like:

>Old Bruce decides to go out to a movie, specially Mask of zorro. Pretty clear where this is going
>Movie ends and Bruce watches two parents and their child suddenly confronted by a thug
>Old Bruce doesn't give a shit what'll happen to him or if he's starting to experience a heart attack, he's gonna interven-
>Suddenly, Terry and two other new Gotham heroes (maybe Nightwing's successor or something or Terry gets his own Batgirl and Robin) dogpile the crook, a reformed police department shows up with a half dozen cars and cops coming to arrest the would-be crook and taking care of the family
>And Bruce looks up to see more heroes in gotham seeing the situation under control and spreading out to keep vigil over the rest of the city
>Terry approaches bruce: "Hey, old man, you okay?"
>And bruce smiles and says without a stutter "I am, thank you, Batman." finally accepting the mantle is his and BruceBats can rest.

something like that

I thought DKR had it best. He's too old to continue his war on crime, so he retires and trains a new generation of dark knights in secret after faking his death. He got his satisfying resolution to the story of Batman, and when he finally dies he'll know Gotham is taken care of.

Eh, I prefer his solution to old age in Kingdom Come.

That's pretty much what should happen

well, that is one way, but its basically the "bad end" scenario.

because part of the whole point is that when he stopped, crime got worse and came back with a vengeance. in the end, he was left a bitter shell of a man, living in what amounts to a mausoleum.

though I dont know what could amount to a GOOD ending for him.

I remember seeing a beyond fan comic thing, where old Bruce is walking down a street in gotham, and he spots a family getting assaulted by a mugger in an ealley. Bruce jumps in and saves the family, but at the cost of his heart finally giving out, and when Terry/the police arrive to the scene, and the family recount how the old man saved them, You see Bruce, laying against the wall, with a peaceful look on his face, a smile, even.

I always thought that was a pretty good way for his character to go. not so much that he goes out swinging, but that in dying, he prevents a family from suffering the fate he did. it's perfect closure

Honestly, that's a really, really good one. Any ending that shows that Gotham is finally a safe city due to Bruce's influence works for me.

>literally incapable of being Batman
>Still alive
You can only pick one.

How does Sup Forums come up with writing that is so consistently better than anything the major production companies put out?

Because we actually appreciate good stories and understand our beloved characters. Most companies don't give a shit about the source material and this includes the comics publisher themselves.

Gosh, I don't know. Maybe he could retire if he'd actually get around to solving crime. Permanently.

Because Sup Forums, even Sup Forumsmblr, hasn't been completely ruined by SJWs who treat the medium as a propaganda platform to push insane agendas.

There are even people on this board who still prioritize good writing, stories, and art ahead of "righthink".

Didn't pre-New 52 Batman end on Bruce giving the cowl to Dick while he provided support?

Seemed like a much better ending imo. He gets two sons (and Tim) who take his mantle on fighting crime and they turn out better people for it. The guy practically gets that hole left by his parents death filled by this

I liked Beyond but I was always bothered by how Bruce came out. Alone and bitter with the whole Bat family splintered. It's even worse when considering Justice League is also part of the canon. All the friends and love interests he made are just gone. For all the years of suffering and dedication he put in, he deserves more than just Terry.

Do we also count comics? The drama between him and Dick in Beyond because of the comics are really soap opera tier. BABY MISCARRIAGE

Do you guys think Bruce would've pulled out that gun if there wasn't a hostage there to save? Say it was just him and some bank robbers, would he have pulled the gun to save just himself or would he let whatever happen happen?

I bet no one believed that mook who said batman pulled a fucking gun on him.

He would have just let whatever happen to him.

So how come we've never gotten Bruce doing a ground up rebuild of the league of assassins. He could preserve his youth and order only non lethal methods.

because that story doesn't have enough harley farting in the batmobile

I usually pretend everything after the funeral didn't happen.

No design by committee. That was one guy making one quick story. When you get a team of writers editors, artistss and publishers in there too it muddies things up hard. Also, you tend to forget the bad posts on here and focus on the good ones.

yes, this is the one! I remember this, THIS is probably the best way for Bruce to go. it's poetic as fuck

This, it even makesme feel good, know what i mean??

>I remember seeing a beyond fan comic thing, where old Bruce is walking down a street in gotham, and he spots a family getting assaulted by a mugger in an ealley. Bruce jumps in and saves the family, but at the cost of his heart finally giving out, and when Terry/the police arrive to the scene, and the family recount how the old man saved them, You see Bruce, laying against the wall, with a peaceful look on his face, a smile, even.

Don't suppose you remember where? That sounds pretty heartwarming, and I'd like to save it.

Aha, thanks user.

I like hie "The Batman" did by leaving stuff so Gotham can protect themselves.

Because all they described would take a page or two. A full comic is a lot more than that, though it's a good nugget to build around

No, they were both Batman. Dick stayed in Gotham and Bruce was doing other thing in Batman, Inc.

Because Sup Forums is made of hundreds of people who write down short stories like this all fucking day and you only remember the good ones. It's essentially unsolicited crowd sourcing.

Thing is, Post-Crisis had an ending (in a manner of speaking. Fuck Flashpoint and Convergence, they were just an excuse for the reboot, and on my bookshelf the story ends where Flashpoint is about to begin.

If it had continued then obviously something would have gone wrong with Batman Inc, and blah blah, status quo. Hell, perhaps it only even happened because they knew they could actually write an ending.

How Bruce and Dick just didn't get on and barely tolerated eachother by the end of the DCAU is one of the few things I actually disliked about it. But it also gave us Batman Beyond, so bygones and all that.

Nah, he let Dick and Damien become the Batman and Robin of Gotham City, while he would be the head Batman of Batman Inc. and deal with international threats.

It is a fitting end of Bruce being Gotham's protector, because his sons are now able to do what he believed only he could do for years.

Yeah Beyond always bothered me with how dark it went. It was an extremely cynical take on the Batman mythos.

A thousand monkeys with a thousand keyboards > niche publishing company for edgier, deluxe-sized newspaper funnies

this, it's just math

has literally nothing to do with whatever social narrative you've constructed around yourself

The lazarus pit drives you insane eventually.

>If it had continued then obviously something would have gone wrong with Batman Inc, and blah blah, status quo. Hell, perhaps it only even happened because they knew they could actually write an ending.

Batman Inc. was never meant ti be an ending. Morrison was mirroring All-Star Superman, where the point was Superman will never end. Might have been a little different without the reboot, but the wole point was if you apply that to Bruce it means he's doomed to suffer in really cool ways as Batman forever.

...aren't they gonna call for an ambulance?

I'd like to imagine it had something to do with the Near Apocalypse of 09. Bruce saved the world, but maybe the cost to that was breaking the trust the League had in him. Maybe even a splintering of the League itself.

How does his mask fit to his lips like that?

>we will never get an official comic's canon where Gotham's actually cleaned up by the end of Batman's hard fought war on crime, and has gradually transformed from an utterly hopeless, insanity-inducing nightmare ghetto to roughly about the future equivalent to the '66 universe
>some of the more sympathetic/genuinely mentally ill villains reform, and realize their best potential (even if only later in life) to contribute back reams of good to the society they were once bitterly at odds with
>Bruce grows softer with age, and cherishes the company of the Bat Family he's assembled throughout his crusade as their fatherly patriarch, and learns to make peace with the numerous tragedies he's endured throughout his life
I know it's schmaltzy as fuck, but I just want Batman's "no kill rule", all that usage of Arkham, and Bruce's unironic belief that the city is worth saving to amount to something at the end, instead of all that moralfagging just being a tragic, if not noble, exercise in futility.

Naawww, Bruce should keep cloning himself and transferring his memories to the next Clone body.

Nice.

Who are the people in the photo?

The Bat-Family

ohh look Sup Forums decided to shit up a thread by throwing politics into it. Sorry the scurry wymyns are showing up in your comics, faggot.

>though I dont know what could amount to a GOOD ending for him.

Terry/Dick taking up the mantle of batman while Bruce going into retirement with Selina or Andrea.

Andrea was basically the love of Bruce's life in the TAS saga. Otherwise it default to Selina.

basically the ending of DKR.

Yeah OP when you put it that way it makes it really beautiful and poetic. It's kind of a happy ending of sorts, even though it's not an ending. And it was always cool seeing a hero get old and retire.

I love that user. It's poetic.

that's HIS parents he's visualizing.

he's dead jim

Best way for Batman to end is him getting shot dead by a common criminal while not in costume. No crazy Joker bomb, no Riddler death trap...just some average mook with a gun.

He comes out of a theater, a guy holds a gun to him, he tries to stop the guy but he's just too slow and too old...and he dies, just like his parents did.

Following his death, people find out he was Batman. This inspires the people of Gotham to stand up to crime and corruption and Gotham is finally safe.

Did they ever explain wtf happened at the end of arkham Knight?

I liked that in the other episodes it shows nightwing and the others still going strong even without bruce.

Email King

But it basically continued. Morrison got to end Inc in New 52. It was a shitty ending, because he was making a point about cyclical nature and all that. Aka usual Morrison putting ideas ahead of storytelling.

>"I am, thank you, Batman."

He needs someone to take the mantle though. And not just 40 years after he retired

I figure this would be the outcome of Bruce's life as he personally pushed away love interests, his company, friends, and family away to be Batman 24/7 for almost his entire life so without being able to be Batman, he has nothing else in life.

that makes me happy