If there's only one Apokolips and one New Genesis...

If there's only one Apokolips and one New Genesis, why do the New Gods and Darkseid only ever end up doing stuff in one universe and acting as though the main DCU characters are the only ones they are aware of. And why do the capes from one universe only ever seem to go to Apokolips to fuck shit up. What's stopping 52 Supermen from beating on Darkseid's ass, ignoring the difference between his physical and true forms.

>If there's only one Apokolips and one New Genesis, why do the New Gods and Darkseid only ever end up doing stuff in one universe and acting as though the main DCU characters are the only ones they are aware of.
There's multiple weaker fragmented avatars running around in multiple universes. I mean... it's from the same place that that map came from.

So, the Metron that got zapped by Manhattan should only be one aspect of him?

This concept always amuses me, because it makes it sound like the Justice League has only ever fought the true Darkseid's dandruff flakes.

Isn't Metron specifically not a New God, or did they change that?

The classic DoomBot plot

In this case, it's like saying that every Doctor Doom story ever told was actually a DoomBot, and the real Doctor Doom has spent his entire adult life running experiments in some secret underground laboratory, totally unaware of the fact that a bunch of his DoomBots escaped and are now running amok all over Earth.

I mean, that does like it could be a cool story, but it's also kind of funny.

Presumably, yes. There are other Metron avatars in the multiverse, and Metron will eventually remanifest in the Earth-0 universe as well. Gods are called "immortals" for a reason, after all.

Metron is indeed a New God, the god of science to be specific. But he's unique among the New Gods in that he isn't explicitly affiliated with either New Genesis or Apokolips. Because of this, he often acts as a neutral party between the two god worlds. For example, he was the one who mediated the exchange of Scott Free and Orion as part of their peace treaty.

>Dr. Doom actually makes Doombots for altruistic reasons and lets them out to do good
>they end up being evil and resenting some guy called Reed Richards for one reason or another

This is an issue that every story involving a multiverse needs to have fleshed out. Are the different versions of the being in the multiverse all connected or are they separate individuals?

The concept of a multiverse, at least in physics really hinges upon this idea that electrons and sub-atomic particles tend to disappear and do all sorts of weird things. The best explanation is they are going somewhere else. Once you "zoom out" from that other place, it's a different universe. So the electrons in YOUR BODY and YOUR BRAIN are doing this too. That means there is a direct physical connection between yourself and where your electrons are going. That carries all sorts of implications as well, especially in these fictional universe that have things like souls and after lives. Does one soul go to a heaven in one universe and a hell in another? (Just assuming after lives are a thing here just to make a point) Or is it same soul, same consciousness in both bodies, spread out in different universes?

I think too many writers are rushing into the concept of a multiverse without even imaging the actual issues and implications with it. Which cheapens the concept. The Multiverse is one of my favorite things but I don't like seeing it... dumbed down for shock value of just having another version of a character.

You could consider reading the story before asking questions like this, but even just contextually you should be able to see that the spheres are pure concept and not physical places

Like come on man

The true Darkseid won at the end of Final Crisis, but every universe has it's own avatars of the New Gods.

Electrons and sub-atomic particles don't disappear though, and that's a fairly common mistake people make. It's that they exist in a state of quantum superposition. Meaning that you can only measure one element of the electron or sub-atomic particle, and when you do measure it, that's when it "comes into being", because there's now a trait assigned to it. Specifically, you can find its location, or you can find its speed. You can only measure one or the other.

The concept of the multiverse hinges on what happens when you measure for one quality rather than the other quality. So if you find where an electron is, the only other possibility is finding its speed. So you end up with a universe where you found the electron's position, and another where you measured its speed.

I think that's right, anyway. I'm basing this off a half-remembered interview with a quantum physicist on the Joe Rogan podcast where he specifically corrected Rogan about electrons disappearing and went onto explain what I've so meagerly tried to explain above.

In the DCU it's fairly simple: the worlds occupy the same space but vibrate at different frequencies

Don't bring in alternate headcanons

Well forgive me for using layman's terms.

>Don't bring in alternate headcanons

It's not a headcanon to seek clarification of the metaphysically stuff. Is Batman: Earth-1 the same individual as Batman: Earth-45? Are they connected physically at all? If not, then how and why are they both labelled "Batman"? If yes, then how does that work exactly, what's the connecting element that makes one Batman and makes one not-Batman?

A good writer, whom I wish I can be, would take these questions, answer them with in-universe explanations and give DC a conceptual framework to use.

I mostly mean don't bring over all of that electron theory shit because it doesn't apply. This concept isn't based in real physics, if it ever really was.

But in DC they all have separate souls and such. They just share similar thematic destinies. The current (local) multiverse was actually created as 51 copies of the main universe (Earth-0) that got mutated because of that happened in the storyline 52 that's enough of a spoiler that I won't tell you more.

I've always wondered if there was any rhyme or reason to the placements of the 52 earths. The numbers are all over the place.

The placements are thematic rather than literal, but yes there are reasons.

From the hardcover

There is, in some cases. For example, Earth 8 and Earth 51 make up what's called the Lee/Kirby Binary. The Kirby Axis is that stream of light that goes from New Genesis to Apokolips. All the earths along that line have a link to Jack Kirby. One is Stan Lee's reimagining of the DC Universe, another is the Kamandi Earth, another the Ultimate Marvel Earth and lastly, Etrigan's earth. The Axis of Creation is a line between Earth 33 (our earth) and Earth 0 (canon DC earth). Earth's 6 and 7 are the Marvel binary as they are not the main Marvel allegory, but are related to the Marvel universe.

There's a lot more, it's all at the very back of the deluxe edition of Multiversity.

Yeah.
This.

What we perceive as the New Gods are imprints of their true forms on the fabric of reality.
Except for Darkseid who was shattered at the end of Final Crisis.
And during that story, it was the entirety of his being that was on Earth, which is why everything- the entire Multiverse- was being sucked into the black hole where his heart would be.

I'm so ready for this to turn into a Hypercrisis thread.

Ah, neat. Did not know that. Thanks anons.

>What's stopping 52 Supermen from beating on Darkseid's ass, ignoring the difference between his physical and true forms

The thing behind Turpinseid is the actual Darkseid. An abstract idea made vaguely visible for a moment.