Why did so many 90s and early 00s cartoons act like Kwanzaa was a widespread holiday and not something celebrated by a...

Why did so many 90s and early 00s cartoons act like Kwanzaa was a widespread holiday and not something celebrated by a couple dozen people or so?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/05/22/europe-birthplace-mankind-not-africa-scientists-find/
history.com/news/did-the-first-human-ancestor-emerge-in-europe-not-africa
youtube.com/watch?v=NV_5uP9YEsE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was a holiday for them to talk about to fill an episode.

can you give a better example of a show? Proud family is made for black people so of course kwanzaa is going to be included.

What the hell is kwanzaa

not OP but I remember there being a Rugrats Kwanzaa special

Futurama. Like the only show that actually bothers to fucking explain kwazaa2

Hanukkah for Basketball Americans

They wanted to be inclusive but didn't do much research.

I'm pulling this out of my ass, but I think Kwanza was made in the 60s, so that gives plenty of time for the people who experienced it as kids to grow up and get in the industry, and write episodes about it.

I always thought Hanukkah and Kwanzaa were the same thing but they're not apparently.

>Christmas special: Check
>Thanksgiving special: Check
>Easter special: Check
>Valentines special: Check
>New Year special: CHeck
>Halloween special: Check
>Hanukkah special: Check
>What else can we do? Oh yeah we have a black character.

Kwanzaa was a holiday created in 1966 by a black nationalist named Maulana Karenga. It gets it's name from the Swahili word for "first fruits" (which is funny because Swahili is in eastern Africa and most of the slave trade that took place in West Africa).
It was first conceived as a replacement for Christmas which Maulana had deemed an evil white holiday that should be shunned. He would later change his mind on this issue when the holiday gained mainstream appeal, stating that Christians could celebrate it without replacing Christmas.
The most recent estimates (made in 2009 by Keith Mayes from the University of Minnesota and author of Kwanzaa: Black Power and the Making of the African-American Holiday Tradition) suggest that anywhere from 500,000 to 2 million people celebrate Kwanzaa in the U.S. (which is startlingly contrary to the 28 million estimated by Maulana himself in 2006).

Calling a winter festival First Fruits is stupid no matter the language.

A holiday after Christmas but before new years that celebrates where humans came from. Mainly a black holiday to think about Africa for a day, it does not replace Christmas.
Some celebrate the cradle of life, where all humans came from, and reflect on how far we as a species have come.

humans didn't come from Africa.

Hell if I know

It's a creepy abomination of a holiday made up whole cloth by a literal psychopath who enslaved and tortured two women to death in his mad cult

He couldn't even speak Swahili (which less than .05% of Black Americans are related to)

I mean shit, if African-Americans DID want to celebrate a holiday vaguely West African in nature they'd aim for something similar to the Yam Festival celebrated all over the coast

I only knew of weird white liberals and fanatical black nationalists celebrating

t. Nigerian

Gravity isn't real

Pretty much no one in the US gives a shit about it, most people I know think it's just a weird made up holiday, even black friends make fun of it. I think you're onto something about how it's mainly just white liberals and black nationalists.

It's sad that in a thousand years no one knows. But at least it's a triumph that a small part of ebonics took over English
>ask
>aks

Learn to separate science theory from science fact.

telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/05/22/europe-birthplace-mankind-not-africa-scientists-find/

>B-but muh rock-solid science!

Another decade or two and they'll find earlier humans in South America or the Middle East. This shit isn't fixed.

>history.com/news/did-the-first-human-ancestor-emerge-in-europe-not-africa
One of you is right, and it's not the one who's posturing.

>10/10 black sitcoms that didn't include gay kwanza shit

Human is the species Homo Sapiens, those articles talk about an hominid who is a family that also include chimanzee, gorilla and orangutan
Like they said
>Begun emphasized that the new hypothesis doesn’t affect the later story of modern humans and their emergence from Africa. “That story is completely intact,” he told HISTORY. “This is about what happened millions and millions of years before that, when the human lineage in its entirety arose.”

The article isn't about actual humans

It's about non-human ancestors

An alternative celebration for African-Americans during the Christmas season, based on a synthesis of a number of West African traditions. Was developed and spread by Black Nationalists in the 1960s and 70s.

Man, I would love it if extremist african americans started worshiping Iemanja, queen of the sea, as white supremasists do with odin and thor. The Yoruba religion is really interesting, wish it was more mainstream.

youtube.com/watch?v=NV_5uP9YEsE
It's a pseudo-holiday of feasting or some harvest-related crap created so African Americans have their own thing as whites/Hispanics (Christians, really) have Christmas (which is really Saturnalia and pagan harvest holiday), Asians have that New Years thing in Feb, and the Jews have Hanukkah. I think even Muslims have some kind of feasting-harvest kind of holiday. After Ramadan, Muslims feast too. African Americans, always wanting to have their own thing, created this holiday. It's very recent, compared to the other holidays mentioned above.