Maybe i dislike Unbeatable Squirrel girl not because it's a female protagonist...

Maybe i dislike Unbeatable Squirrel girl not because it's a female protagonist, but because the art is fucking atrocious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qs493Gi4CaI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What a unique opinion held by everybody on Earth.

"It's stylized, therefore it's allowed to suck"

I dislike it for the bad art.
I dislike it for the terrible writing.
I hate it because Squirrel Girl used to be lots of fun and I was really excited by the announcement that she was getting a standalone ongoing series.

WOW
I just
I can't even right now
it's just
ughh

If you cannot be bothered to articulate the reason for being upset, then it must not be very important.

Does this artist understand how lips work, and how much energy you need to expend to keep your mouth contorted into these shapes seemingly all the time?

>If you cannot be bothered to articulate the reason for being upset, then it must not be very important.
That's what I always say to people when I'm talking to them and they're complaining about something but fail to really explain why it's a problem.

>I dislike it for the terrible writing

Say whatever you want about the art, but the writing is solid you fucking faggot.

The target audience gets provoked by seeing talented and successful people, that's why they hired this person.

Yes that is why. The character and series make me sick and the only cure is to pretend it doesn't exist. So excuse me while I medicate my catalog

Daily reminder that Sup Forums can draw better.

MUCH better.

I want a book with the America writer and Erica H as the interior artist just to see how deep can Marvel go.

it really isn't.
and some editor needs to take a stand and stop Ryan North from doing that shitty alt-text at the bottom of every page.

the artstyle of squirrel girl is ugly on purpose
its like when tumblr 'reimagines' anime characters as disgusting freaks

Honestly it's fitting for a terrible one note character to get a shitty artist.

I am still to this day not entirely clear on whether or not that black character is a man or woman. The clothes mean nothing in this shitfest of a comic, could be a girly man for all I know. Would probably help if I read like, 2 pages, and it'd probably be revealed, but I shouldn't have to do that to discern a non-costumed character's fucking sex.

No, no it is not. Ryan North has done much better, and SG is absolutely awful. Fuck you.

It's solid for what it is. It was actually pretty bad at first because it started more about the college/slice of life angle before becoming just crazy adventures in the Marvel universe.

Squirrel Girl is inoffensive at worst. I really don't get why some people are completely unable to simply say "this is not for me" instead of raging and frothing about its mere existence. I have no interest in it, but I know people who do and they're thoroughly enjoying it, and it existing doesn't make books that are more to my taste suddenly stop existing.

It's like gamers getting upset about mobile games. Yeah, they're cheap and simplistic and usually a bit underhanded in how they try to monetize, but kids like them, and if you're not interested all you have to do is not play them.

>it existing doesn't make books that are more to my taste suddenly stop existing.

it actually does though.
Marvel sees the success of Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel as being indicative of what readers want, so they create more books to match that aesthetic. But Marvel only publishes so many books per month, that means in attempts to capitalize on their successes, they need to alter or cancel book that are opposite spectrums to make room.

I think this person has that disorder where you don't see faces so they're just taking a stab in the dark with it.

What does it mean if I got used to the art pretty quickly, but I found the writing insufferable?

you don't actually like comics.
same way people get used to shit like Greg Land and Mike Deodato

I know that Sup Forums and Sup Forums in general have a tendency to claim credit for a lot of shit we probably had nothing to do with but I kind of feel like we're responsible for Squirrel Girl even being popular in the first place because I don't think anyone was talking about her until our tripfags made her a thing back in like '06

>It's like gamers getting upset about mobile games. Yeah, they're cheap and simplistic and usually a bit underhanded in how they try to monetize, but kids like them, and if you're not interested all you have to do is not play them.
The reason people hate on it is because casuals eat up and spend millions of dollars on mobile games. This causes companies to pander to that crowd and bring down the industry (quality-wise and creatively). The same issue can happen in comics.

That said, Squirrel has low tier art with medium high tier story/antics. I like it but I understand the fear.

And what a mistake that was. She wasn't even that entertaining back then anyway.
>she can beat anyone off panel
>suck it nerds!
What a great gimmick.

Squirrel Girl was always a retarded concept. The writing in this book is insufferable bullshit, and the art is about ten times worse than the writing. I can't believe any of you can tolerate this shit, or that this sells at all, and all those factors combined seem to serve no purpose but to disappoint me.

Slott's GLA helped too.

But the alt-text is pretty good.

I am annoyed the artist got full nepotismed in when she has no idea who to convey anything in comic form, style aside.

Call it envy, it probably is. Yet I've found analyzing it and other comics that are terrible to figure out why they are has made me a better artist.

Kids read it and Kids are not critics.

You think kids care as much about characters being off model In SU as much as Sup Forums does?

I think we all know the answer to that is a definitive no.

>Squirrel Girl is inoffensive at worst. I really don't get why some people are completely unable to simply say "this is not for me" instead of raging and frothing about its mere existence.

Man if Irony where strawberries we'd all be drinking a whole lot of smoothies right now

>kids
>watch SU

Most of SUs viewers are not children. Kids would rather watch Spongebob re-runs than SU

Because Sup Forums absolutely cannot have comics be for anybody but them. If a comic is for somebody else, it is an affront and must be destroyed.

such an original thread years after it ended

There's an interview of this artist being interviewed by a little girl. She's autistic.

I try to be open when it comes to style and design, but at first glance, this looks at best like a mid-tier webcomic. And there are so many excellent, talented webcomic illustrators who can barely make ends meet. Sort of makes me sad inside.

I don't like it but it doesn't bother me as much as Girl Genius' faces

My main issue is that Squirrel Girl was a one note joke about 30 years ago. She was never intended to be a character, she was written to be forgotten about. You were never supposed to give a shit about Squirrel Girl.

Like Hank Pym slapping Jan, someone (probably Bendis. I'm likely wrong but I just like blaming Bendis.) remembered the comic and decided to blow it out of proportion.

Since the "House of Ideas" is anything but, Marvel has just decided to beat this dead horse into nothingness, then reconstruct a new horse from the remains so they can beat that one to death too.

There are comics for blind people?

That black thing is a tranny, isn't it?

>My main issue is that Squirrel Girl was a one note joke about 30 years ago.
25, actually.

The artist, the little girl, or both?

Okay. Read something else then.

I couldn't remember, hence the "about"

Surprisingly, no.

>shitting on Eisner award tier artist
>another "Sup Forums doesn't understand great art" episode
She's one of the greatest contemporary cartoonists. I know it pisses you off that she's a woman. and successful one at that, but angry posts will never take away her ability.

Holy shit, so the art is just THIS bad?

>The Eisners being indicative of quality in any way

The thing is, she doesn't have any goddamn ability. Gender doesn't matter here, the art is just awful.

>Bleeding Cool got so triggered by OP they wrote a sarcastic article about it.

Let's entertain the idea that her gender doesn't bother you and assume for the sake of the argument that you only have beef with her art. See, this isn't suppose to be a realistic art, she's a cartoonist. I think I understand your problem, you think she's trying to create typical Marvel art and fails spectacularly. It is not the case at all.

Name something that wasn't really good and won an Eisner in last decade.

I'd buy this argument if Henderson was capable of not producing shit, but even the examples people post of her "good" art shows she's a fucking amateur that has no clue how human bodies work.

Her style being ugly could be passable if she had any idea how comics work.

She does not. She doesn't know how to lead the reader. She doesn't leave room for Ryan's huge ass dialogue vomit. She breaks literally ever comic rule in the book, not because it works in the favour of the story but because she simply doesn't know any of them. She can't even properly clean her inks before sending them to the colorist.

I meant more about Marvel's decision to use this artist rather than about the artist's decisions.
I think Marvel believes there's an audience for comics with ugly, fat, badly shaped characters. In this picture they wouldn't use the artstyle on the right because it would go against the targeted audience

Outside of tony stark the art is fucking fine.
I hate it because the writing is fucking terrible.

>I think Marvel believes there's an audience for comics with ugly, fat, badly shaped characters.

There's a big audience of people that don't care about the art.

Children.

But she wasn't hired to spite readers. She was hired because Ryan asked for her.

At any rate you can have ugly fat badly shaped characters that are still drawn well and fit in the context of the book. Not all artists have to be house style or characters need to be cute and fit.

Note I am not defending HER style, just the idea that characters don't need to fit some mold all the time.

I hate the lips and the giant eyes with tiny pinprick pupils like she's high as a kite or suffering from severe pain
and some characters dont get the pinprick eyes, so its not like the artist is just...retarded at drawing pupils/irises

>Note I am not defending HER style, just the idea that characters don't need to fit some mold all the time.
Agreed. And while I find it refreshing to see an art style that isnt generic "you only can identify the characters by costume", I still would like the art style to not make me constantly wonder if the character has downs syndrome or some sort of badly cleft lip or underdeveloped upper palate

Fat? I dont care, Squirrel girl has always been kind of a jokey character so her being a bit of a chub compared to other supers just fills out that joke character role even more. "HA look at the cute chubby beating down bank robbers, dont they feel dumb getting their ass beat by a chubby girl"-- kind of effect

I think the problem is that her style is less of a deliberate or well-done subversion or the traditional superhero house style and more that's literally the best she can do.

>Not all artists have to be house style or characters need to be cute and fit.
Unique art styles are all well and good, I'm all for it. You can also have characters that are ugly without the art itself being ugly or unpleasant to look at.

Henderson's art is bad even when she's trying to draw traditionally attractive characters, and she's a complete failure as a sequential artist. She (and her supporters) just fall back on the "it's supposed to look that way, it's my STYLE" defence like every other shitty fanartist online.

>There's a big audience of people that don't care about the art.
>Children.

Only problem with that is that the serious isn't all that popular with kids. It's biggest fans seem to be pudgy Tumblrinas in their 30s, and even then it doesn't seem like most of them even buy the actual comics given its pitiful sales numbers.

Are children actually reading this? Are there a lot of children sees this and clamoring to pester their parent to buy it for them? And their parent who look at this and said "yes"?

Have you read the letters section? It's Kids, parents and probably more than a few spergs.

It sells well in trades to children through scholastic book fairs and Libraries. Not the best, but enough to keep it worth doing for Marvel.

All-Star Superman

Well, I will take your word for it, but that's still pretty small sample size. Its possible that it represents a large group beyond who wrote in, or no one else at all.

Sup Forums fake letters aside, one letter usually represents a thousand or more consumers. At least in other fields like TV and politics. It's obviously skewed to positive since they don't post bad ones.

And maybe I dislike Squirrel Girl because in the 20 years I've read comics, all the Marvel heroes come off as smelly losers.

Case. Closed.

people complain that this comic is a grand betrayal to the Marvel universe but it has the most reverence to Marvel's history and classics than anything else in production!

you know i would beleive this excuse if all hendersons characters didn't look like old prunes. look at this pic and tell me the art is good.

art AND writing

How tolerable those faces are depends on how much chin people got. Most of the time people have a lot of chin

The artist is.....special
she drinks a lot and is an stunted adult

years ago... I used to really like Squirrel girl character, just for the luls and stuff.
I even wanted her to Be part of MvC3...

With the now a days version.... I just... prefer dont remembering her.... its just to painful to watch what she became... or better said "what she was turn into"
its better... put her to sleep before more damage is done....

Better than mine.

The only thing that bothers me about the art is that the eyes are small and soulless-looking

Gender doesn't mean shit. Greg Land is a hack and I refuse to read any books he's on. Same with Liefeld. I also don't like Howard Chaykin's art, but that's probably just me.

Art is subjective. This stuff looks hideous. You can have a cartoony style to the art, but this is unpleasant to look at. No one thinks she's failing at creating typical Marvel art. She makes it pretty obvious that she's not going down that route.

>small and soulless
Kinda like squirrel eyes

youtube.com/watch?v=qs493Gi4CaI
They gave her a voice now.

if the comic looked like that.
It wouldnt be as bad...
sure the writting would still be awful, but at least the art wouldnt....

But user, the art fits the tone and style of the book therefore it's good!

Muy bueno.

jesus, that gif.

I always knew it would be awful, because of Bendis.
His use of SG in New Avengers convinced me that shining a spotlight on her was a bad idea, and only Slott could be counted on to write her at all.
And since can no longer be counted on for ANYTHING, there was no hope for a SG book at all, no matter the team.

the artist is very good at drawing 60 year old transvestites

>There's a big audience of people that don't care about the art.
>Children.

Forget "good" art, appealing design is THE number one concern when designing any characters for children cartoons, movies, toys etc. The principles of stylized shape design that were invented by Disney and co were purely meant to appeal to children on a very basic, subconscious level. Something like Squirrel Girl goes the direct opposite direction. Children will not pick this comic up on their own as SQ neither looks cool nor appealing.

No one in your image looks female.

Is there a male equivalent of this comic?

At least she gets used in better comics like USAvengers

It completely misses the point of squirrel girls character (That she is a silver age character in the modern era that everybody is mostly unaware of) it takes seriously her history of beating powerful characters which was always meant to be a joke since her powers are so goofy, it tries to make an intentionally silly character serious, Also it makes Doreen into a smug cunt whereas previously her personality was always supposed to be super chipper and almost saintly.
The comic didn't just miss the mark with the character it's in a completely different zip code.

Marvel comics aren't toyetic what are you going on about?

This was the first comic I read as a kid and I thought it was the best fucking thing. It's not until now that I realize it's awful;that most of the artists on this book were first timers and they came and went every few issues.

Hey kids remember when every character had giant bulbous-y noses and clown sized glove hands?

Not to mention the coloring on this comic was almost always the literal worst. I never noticed until I got older and decided to make comics.

But everyone has them!