Dumbing of age. Doa

Tonight's strip.

Other urls found in this thread:

acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/cb/cm06.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How exactly did a fat hapa become head cheerleader?

Fucked the coach

Who's the brunette with the green shirt?

Dad was rich. School programs sometimes need donations.

Wow, Ruth's suicide attempt really worked out great for Billie. I guess that's my takeaway then.
>if your girlfriend is unhappy just kill your self, that'll fix everything

When her esteem raises, will her opinion of Ruth change?

She wasnt fat.

Kind of weird that an observant Muslim girl is excited about premarital lesbian sex and swears, but okay.

so is this comic still set in 2010 or what? Because he references present day pop culture but I don't think anyone has said like a boss in about five years.

Sliding timeline as written by a "how do you do fellow kids" middle aged man pushing 40 (he's 38).

Becky remains a devout believer and she's all about the premarital clam.

Not that observant if she's living in a dorm.

>all muslims are one way
>christians are bigly diverse

Does Willis despise Christians because of his upbringing? I'm not American or Christian but it's like he's still trying to rebel against his parents or something despite being middle aged.

Beatrice, they introduced her like three strips ago tops

Yes, it is well established how much he hates them, particularly his mom.

We've yet to see a parent actually portrayed positively in DOA. Even seemingly good ones like Dorothy's parents get painted with "THEY WEREN'T AMBITIOUS AS YOUTHS AND ARE THEREFORE HOLDING DOROTHY BACK" and dumb shit.

>Whatever you said
Definitely reading lips.

Anyhoo, Billie is the worst when she has high self-esteem so I guess this is supposed to be bad? But also she wants to drink herself to death when she has low self-esteem, so it's good? But her relationship with Ruth is contingent on them both kind of hating themselves, so it's bad (from the perspective of commenters who like the relationship)? But Ruth is kind of feeling better about things so maybe this will improve their relationship, so it's good?

The idea is that she drunkenly wrapped a car around a tree, got kicked out of the cheerleaders and drank herself to her current round shape between then and now. Weirdly enough I feel like Billie never mentions her weight ever. Ruth tormented her about it, but Billie never seemed down on herself because she put on weight. I definitely have felt that way if I let myself go too far and clothes stop fitting well.

So Willis' mum was the mean one? Wonder what his dad was like.

He's gotten on better terms with his dad in recent years, which is why Joyce's relationship with her father improved noticeably between parents' day and her weekend return home.

This seems at odds with him making men evil and women good in the majority of his conflicts.

The art significantly changed as well. Ruth was calling Billie "thunder thighs" and "lardo" but she just kinda looked like everyone else. Kinda like a cheerleader who put on weight drinking, but now she's very round.

I think Billie getting round is just Willis being bad at proportions.

Which you can also see in the strip you posted, where in the second panel everybody suddenly shrunk by a foot or two.

_____________Fuck off, Willis__________

What's the moral here?

>Billie acts like a bitch when she arrives
>"Lol I was HEAD CHEARLEADER in High School, I'm a BIG FUCKING DEAL"
>Pisses off most everybody
>Meets former classmate who knocks her down to size
>No, it's NOT a big fucking deal she was head cheerleader, nobody's gonna be impressed by it, get your head on straight bitch

>Enter unhealthy relationship with a former bully and tormentor
>Enter inane suicide pact with said tormentor
>Get kicked out of dorm because of said relationship
>New Dorm idolizes her for fucking the RA, being a head cheerleader, etc.
>Happy ending for now

So we've negated the whole lesson from way before that being the Alpha on the Bitch Squad back in HS doesn't mean shit and she should stop living in the pass, and now she's a hero for doing nothing in particular.

Willy's a pisspoor storyteller. He phones it in and makes it up as he goes along with barely the vaguest shade of intent or planning because that would require effort, and he knows it. This Billie plot, like so many others, is a garbled, unclear, uninteresting mess.

Making fun of both Muslims and Christians who claim to be devout despite being hypocrites, sluts, and sinners is equally valid.

Islam's more primitive, violent, and oppressive at its core though.

And thus, the beautiful, admirable love story began...

Well in my experience living in Bongistan, it's only the observant Muslim girls who actually wear hijabs. If you're not particularly religious, you don't wear religious headwear. Just like most women in Turkey don't.

But of course how is Willis going to get diversity points if people can't immediately SEE she's Muslim? Makes me wonder why he didn't draw Carla with a massive bulge.

>Muslim saying "She nailed her".

I admit I have no idea what the context is here, but is this suppose to be a Hijab wearing Muslim supporting homosexuality?

He once tweeted that his favorite part of Frozen was when the parents died. At least at that point he seemed to actively think that all parents were inherently evil.

Statistics show that Mothers are more than twice as likely to abuse their children than fathers are.

She told Joyce that she was going to try to wait. Unlikely to happen, though, even with her major attempts at avoiding it when being too close to Dina. She had on oven mitts once.

Mike's parents are fantastic. And Carla's parents made a fancy custom toy for her.

Ah, so Willis takes the approach that college is basically just High School 2.0. A lot of people do, but the way they're gushing that she's a high school cheerleader makes in obvious.

There's dude who hang onto "I was a High School football player!" well into their 30's and 40's and don't let it go, so it's at least realistic.

Hell, Willis' M.O. is holding onto the baggage he had back then and never letting go, even when he's 'winning' the game of life.

Sometimes people who are currently fat used to not be so fat.

This is what happens when you tell boys it's wrong to hit girls and never go out of your way to tell girls it's wrong to hit anyone. They don't really get criticized for being violent and so they're more willing to stoop to it.

I didn't realize that caused graph posting without full context and sources.

nice

Wait, since when was Billie prom queen?

>something about an Asian cheerleader getting fat

Hold up, I'm suddenly interested in this shitshow.

It's been a while since we last saw mary.

That's a big Mary.

UUUU

acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/cb/cm06.pdf

The graph is on page 30.

Don't bother. Billie being the conceited, snobbish head cheerleader who loses it all only to slide into wrathful isolation while steadily gaining weight happens before the series begins; though with how Willis is drawing Billie right now it looks like the freshman fifteen is hitting her hard.

Willis probably screwed up and meant homecoming queen.

Is the faggot who makes dumbing of age done with making best girl mary look like an ebil bigot?

>Willis probably screwed up and meant homecoming queen.
That still doesn't help me. When was Billie the queen of anything?

Honestly, I think he only introduced Peter Paul into the Dumbiverse so that he could repeat Mary's abortion later down the line.

And with the pacing of the Dumbiverse, Mary's going to learn that she's pregnant one day after having had sex, then will schedule an abortion that night for the next Wednesday night. We will not see the money shot nor aftermath because Willis will skip forward three days to the next Saturday.

SJWs don't know what muslims are. All they know is that conservatives don't like them, therefore they assume that they must be good liberals.

It's never been mentioned but in this case it'd fit the character's history.

As for your second point, not only would Mary learn she's pregnant, schedule an abortion, then time skipped where it's revealed that everyone knows she had an abortion in less than a week in-universe, out of universe it'll take 18 months to tell that story.

Yay. I'm glad the abusive, alcoholic, violent woman is getting everything she deserves in life!

Yeah, I kinda figured. I mostly just pop by these threads for or

>not wanting the abusive, alcoholic bitch to have a harem of good-tempered and kind women to turn her into a better person in spite of herself

Thanks.

It's really important to link that, because while the original post didn't specify physical abuse, someone drew a conclusion to physical abuse. This report is about maltreatment, which it defines as several types of parental failings. If you look at table 3-19 (which isn't the same data set as table 3-18 used in the graph, miswritten as 3-16 in the image), it shows the vast majority of cases are "neglect," then less than a 5th experience "multiple maltreatments" then "psychological maltreatment, other or unknown," then "physical abuse." It doesn't break down those types per household.

Table 3-13 does show that of 230k victimized households, single mother households experience the most victimization at near 10 times of father only households. But they don't go into what proportion of those households that represents. I'd guess there are more single mother households than single father, but I don't know to what extent. But that table also shows that while the victimisation number of single mother households is the highest, it is close to that of married parents and couples where the marital status is unknown. But once again it's unclear how those values stack up to the proportions of those households in the areas surveyed.

But yes I agree that female perpatrators are more likely to maltreat their kids, but I can't comment on the proportion or how much of that is physical.

Yeah, Yoto is great.

Or to be in an environment where she's the Alpha, and mentally never has to leave high school.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of lucy t.b.h
She's cute.

Either way they're great setups for hentai. However from an development perspective Billie needs positive interactions tempered by firm guidance. For the longest time the only person who seemed to truly give a shit about Billie as a complete person was Walky: Joyce was too naive, Sarah wanted her shut out, and Ruth was the worst possible thing that could have happened to her. She needs both emotional and psychological validation and a tempering structure; lacking the first part turns her into a self-loathing and destructive mess while lacking the second puts her right back into the alpha bitch mentality.

>How exactly did a fat hapa become head cheerleader?
How did the fat girl in HEROES get to be a cheerleader?

In case anyone's wondering, the girl with the Burqa is called Nashita (Nash for short)
Also wikipedia redirects Burqa to Ghostface from Scream

Most high school cheerleading is fairly basic routines with frequent breaks and not a lot of acrobatics so the athletic requirements aren't as stringent compared to a college team. Varsity cheerleading squad my senior year of high school had a girl who was quite thick, though not fat, who didn't have a problem doing any of the routines (and could toss her 4'9" stick figure teammate in the air like it was nothing).

I thought you typed fat alpaca

>that spoiler

I can't believe it's taken more than 2 minutes for the wikitism squad to undo that.

More like a Hijab. Burqa is basically a sheet with a mesh.

Oh yeah.

Joyce been JACOB'd yet?

Nicely unsource statistics you go there user.
Women are generally only violent in self defense. Don't take Willis's fantasy world as real life.

High school. Before college. That means it happened before DoA started.

I hope it'll happen.

She's Billie's new roommate, so we're going to see a lot of her. Will be interesting to see if Billie likes her or not, since she roomed with Malaya, who knows Sal.

They bonded over shopping. They're decent friends.

She wasn't fat.

True

Chivalrous concepts like "never hit a girl" assumed a culture where females were demure and unlikely to raise a hand themselves. Not that I'd walk around slugging chicks, but still.

necrobumper

If Joyce hooks up with anyone, it should be Ken.

Why on Earth would you want her to hook up with a practical non-entity in the strip and whose personality in the prior strip was "less interesting Ethan."

Because I think they would make a cute couple.
Plus who else would Joyce hook up with?
Faz?

I was about to say the same thing.

The head of varsity high school cheer team at my high school was this thicc bulldog of a girl capable of doing a standing backflip.

I liked when Willis had the idea of doing something with Mary and making her a more interesting and well-rounded character or just essentially give a middle finger to anyone who wants better writing by spending weeks setting up a joke where the punchline is "FUCK YOU THERE'S NO PUNCHLINE".

Thankfully Willis chose the former and not the latter, otherwise he'd be a pretty bad writer eh?

Sarah, Joe, Jacob, Ryan, Billie, Becky, Dina, or Asma.

>So we've negated the whole lesson
This sort of thinking is cancerous.

I dunno what I did to deserve this (you) but I'll take it.

I wasn't aware the thread was dying but k

Willy's?

Why the fuck is she built like a dwarf?