Stand your ground

Is it true that in Texas, you can legally shoot a person trespassing on your property after nightfall?
Do they need to pose a "clear and urgent threat", or is it full anarchoball? Do you by law need to report it to someone, or can you just leave them there until the garbage truck comes by?

(For clarity, I believe this is a good thing)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vdL7QowDR8M
ammoland.com/2014/02/reporting-self-defense-with-a-gun-to-law-enforcement/
level1firearms.com/Education/Use_of_Deadly_Force_in_Idaho.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>trespassing on your property after nightfall
yup, old boy is done for

If someone is trespassing, yes you can shoot them. It's under the castle act. If someone isn't supposed to be there it's fair game.

>t.Texasfag

Texan with a conceal carry permit here. You can legally shoot someone for criminal mischief after nightfall. So don't fuck around someone's backyard shed at night. No need to call police, just shoot.

Can be daytime too, and if it's your neighbors property as well.

Someone shot and killed a guy breaking into his neighbors house in Houston, and no charges weee filed.

You can unless he is trying to escape.
If you shoot a guy in the back and your attorney can't make it seem like it was a direct threat to your life then you might be fucked.

It's to stop nut jobs from inviting people over and then killing them while using MUH CASTLE to get away with it.

If you do kill or shoot someone on your property you best bet they are going to investigate the shit out of it to determine exactly what happened.

But yeah, you can shoot burglars or trespassers in texas and you are in your full rights to do so if they are a threat.

Texas Bro here. No they have to be committing a violent crime or theft. Simple trespass wont work. If they are trespassing, with to break into your house, or steal your car or rape your wife, you can fucking shoot them in the face and dance around them while shooting your six guns in the air.

youtube.com/watch?v=vdL7QowDR8M

Is it true that you have there old mad guys with magnum's 44?

>You can unless he is trying to escape.
Not true.
You can shoot him if he's trying to escape.

Cool. Do you need to call 911/police after shooting them, or can you just leave them there until the garbage disposal truck comes by?

>shoot a guy in the back
As long as old boy can't testify later then you've got no problem

Relevant law.

As long as you had reason to believe he was stealing something, you can kill him to prevent him from escaping.
Pic related.

Nope, it is true.
Just because people get away with it all the time doesn't mean it's ok.

Yeah, realistically, you can murder someone and get away with it but the law is made for when you or your family or property is being threatened.

If some kid (or manchild) jumps the fence to retrieve a Frisbee or something and you shoot him for no fucking reason that will NOT be covered by the law and you will go to jail.

Yes.

>you can kill him to prevent him from escaping
True, you just don't want to wound the old boy.

Yes you should call 9/11.

>bodies in garbate truck
Look Ahmed, I don't know how they do things in Syria, but we don't put our dead in landfills

>Nope, it is true.
The explain this: I'll wait.

By law if you DONT kill them, they can sue you for assault.
It's true.

Yes, so if he's a threat to you or your property.

If some dumb shit or drunk wanders onto your back yard and is clearly trying to leave or get out it doesn't mean you can just shoot them.

You CAN and police will probably not give a fuck but it isn't covered by the law

Right, but are you legally obliged to, or is that their problem?

It's true.

Are you fucking retarded? Source pls

Dead people can't sue.

you should call the cops. just make sure they're dead if you actually shoot them though. otherwise, they might actually be able to bullshit their way into getting money out of you by passing themselves off as the victim somehow.

>Yes, so if he's a threat to you or your property.
No.
Only if he:
1) Is running away.
2) You have reason to suspect that the property is unlikely to be recovered
3) You have reason to believe that any other attempt to recover the property will result in serious bodily harm (i.e. he will put up a fight)

>Source
>Neighbor

yeah lets just leave a dead nigger on the property until some homeless guy gets hungry

>should
I get that, but am I legally obliged to? What happens if I just go back inside and go back to whatever I was doing?

do you have a corpse fetish? i know shit is getting hard under sharia law but jesus christ sweden

Listen OP, if you're coming here to flee the religion of peace from bringing some cultural diversity to your country, just remember to bring your women. Other than that, you're welcome to come to Texas, thanks.

And don't fire the entire clip. 2-3 shots to the chest don't be brutal about it and you win.

It's called the Castle Doctrine.

A Castle Doctrine (also known as a castle law or a defense of habitation law) is a legal doctrine that designates a person's abode or any legally occupied place – e.g., a vehicle or home, as a place in which that person has protections and immunities permitting him or her, in certain circumstances, to use force (up to and including deadly force) to defend himself or herself against an intruder, free from legal prosecution for the consequences of the force used.[1] The term is most commonly used in the United States, though many other countries invoke comparable principles in their laws.

A person may have a duty to retreat to avoid violence if one can reasonably do so. Castle doctrines negate the duty to retreat when an individual is assaulted in a place where that individual has a right to be, such as within one's own home. Deadly force may be justified and a defense of justifiable homicide applicable, in cases "when the actor reasonably fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to him or herself or another".[1] The castle doctrine is not a defined law that can be invoked, but a set of principles which may be incorporated in some form in the law of many jurisdictions.

But this was one of the questions I asked in the OP...
>importing the Left Party's main voter group
>good thing

>clip

Are you under castle act perks only after nightfall? What if it happens during the day? Are you suposed to warn the assailant or something? What defines nightfall?

Texas is awesome.

If someone breaks into your house, or car, then they have committed a violent offense against you and your household and thus a reasonable amount of lethal force can be applied to end the threat.

Additionally, any civilian anywhere can use lethal force to stop a violent felony in process anywhere where they have a right to be, even if said civilian is in no danger. It is perfectly legal to shoot someone breaking into your neighbor's home, or to shoot someone who is robbing someone else in a public parking lot.

Also, and this is VERY unique to Texas, any one committing a crime after sundown, even non-violent crimes like petty theft, can have lethal force applied to them to prevent the commission of the crime. Shooting in the back is allowed, to prevent escape in this situation; for instance, a taco stand owner in Houston shot a homeless man after he stole a tip jar with $20 bucks in the back with a shotgun after sundown, and a jury cleared him.

You call the cops. It looks very suspicious if you do not. It also looks much better in a court that you rendered aid to the dying man, if you actually go to court (really only in areas with liberal DA's or cases that are not clear cut).

>tfw Texan civilians have more policing power than the average Euro policeman

What is this, dead nigger storage?

where's the logic though? He commits a crime when he steps on my property after nightfall, so he has to accept the potential consequences that I have the right to hurt him and even kill him so why can he sue me for assault even though I have the right to hurt him in that case?

He can lie on the stand.

The problem is if you don't report it, then there's a random dead body you have to explain at some point, and potential cops showing up any way because someone reported shots fired. It's better to call and report that you've defended yourself, were in fear for your life, and please send an ambulance.

It wouldn't hurt to buy some insurance, too. Even if the government finds you not guilty, the family may bring a civil suit against you, and you'll have regular old court costs no matter what.

>tfw you will never live in based texas and shoot niggers in your backyard

Fuck, i like in northern mexico and its basically the same western culture as texas but we dont have guns but have like 5x more criminals

all you can do here is raise your hands up and hope the criminal doesnt shoot or stab you

in my state we actually have some law where you can only use force equal to what the intruder is using.
That means that if the intruder has a knife you can use a knife (but not stab him, unless he stabbed you first)
If he has a gun, then you can use a gun too, but only after your dead and he shot you with it first (literally)
Not even memeing, fuck this gay earth

Just tell your women to go to south Texas, we will make sure their vote goes to the right place.

because you can sue anyone for anything in america.

doesn't mean you'll win, but you can still do it.

Family won't sue if old boy doesn't testify

If that's the one I'm thinking about, yes charges were filed but he was acquitted. The thieves were getting away, he steps out with the shotgun and confronts them, they step on his property, 3 shots 2 dead dindus.

New Englandfag here
I'm moving to Texas as soon as I have the funds to do so.

In Texas you can shoot someone for stealing someone else property, in the back as they run away

Yeah it's true but if you do shoot make sure they die so they can't sue you.

kansas fag here. our state has pretty much the same laws. you can use lethal force to remove trespassers, burglars and anyone else on your property posing a threat day or night. same applies to your neighbors property or criminals in public at a store or something. you can kill em all

Yup. Based Joe Horn proved that.

ammoland.com/2014/02/reporting-self-defense-with-a-gun-to-law-enforcement/
Seems like it's technically legal, but not a great idea. I want to move to Texas now.

>Conceal carry permit

>in my state we actually have some law where you can only use force equal to what the intruder is using.

What are you, samurai?

open carry in my state as well. long gun or handgun. you can do either. plus we don't have to have permits to conceal and carry here. the permit law was let sunset last year

>Concealed weapons permit
>In Texas
>Permit
TOP KEK

So according to that logic there is no 100% guarantee that I can just shoot someone without getting in a expensive legal fight because eventually he, witnesses , or his relatives can always sue me into bankruptcy?.

Thats az

Well I've never heard of that happening but I'm just a New Englandfag so what do I know?

Generally frivolous lawsuits will require the plaintiff to pay for the defendants legal bills for making them go through that shit. And your job is obligated to pay your wages while you're out.

If he survives that's a problem

Someone sneaking around your property at night automatically means clear and present danger. Let em fly boys.

It works like this, if they enter your home you can shoot them, no warning, does not matter if they were attacking you, stealing or not. As long as you feel threatened you can end them. "trespassers will be shot" signs are no joking around. Texas isn't California.

Day or night makes no difference.

Specify trespassing.

This.

Just because you think it's amoral to shoot someone in the back doesn't mean it's not always legal.

SATX here

Castle Law applies ONLY to the home, specifically INSIDE the home.

Did someone force their way in your house? You can shoot them. No warning, they could be doing nothing, they could have their back to you. It's your house, they're not supposed to be there, end of story.

Shooting someone because they're in your backyard, day or night, falls under the same legality as if they were in the Wal-Mart parking lot at 3PM. Just because it's your property doesn't mean you can use violence against them at all, but you're free to call the police about it.

You are allowed to shoot if your life or the life of someone else is in danger or imminent danger. You may shoot if they are trying to steal property, whether it's your's or someone else's, but that one is a real big gray area in and of itself and probably not worth the litigation you'd get into.

You may not need it, but it looks better for you when the cop shows up. It's instant credibility. A good lawyer will also use it to paint you as a responsible citizen to the jury if you end up getting prosecuted.

Sadly I don't think we'll ever get constitutional carry in Texas. The state is all about freedom as long as they get a piece ($140 plus $70 renewals. First renewal after 4 years and then every five thereafter). We don't have state income tax so they'll throw other fees at you randomly here.

>Day or night makes no difference.
In the house: true
Outside the house: false

it applies no matter the time of day.

Lame. But at least its not homo California

>I want to move to Texas now.
You're a generation too late.

>45% white now
>30% of newborns white
Texas is going down the drain in the next 20 years. All the fucking way down the drain.

Can confirm. Little old ladies also carry them here. Everyone carries here.

ok so at least there's some form of security, but it seems individual freedom in the US always comes with a risk attached

Pretty sure that if you warn them to fuck off clearly enough you can shoot them.

Joe Horn shot two burglars in the back on his neighbor's property outside in daylight and got off with nothing.

I believe you can shoot them if they are fleeing a crime at night, but not during daylight.

>Joe Horn was cleared by a grand jury
If it was at night there would be no grand jury

That boy ain't in Texas...

Here are defense laws for Idaho which is pretty close to Texas in defense rights level1firearms.com/Education/Use_of_Deadly_Force_in_Idaho.html

Basically you still have to show that there was a reasonable belief you or another were in danger. And you can still count on spending quite a bit on your own defense.

But, Ive seen this used a couple of times and it really helped legitimate self defense cases. One womans husband was trying to kill her and their child in their own home. She called 911 but cops are a good 15 minutes from her part of the county, and on the open 911 line she actually managed to get a .38 revolver from a drawer and blasted his ass. She would have been dead otherwise.

For what its worth Im a Paramedic and my coworkers, most of the deputies I know, and myself all support these laws.

you cannot shoot someone on your property, no

they have to be inside your domicile, and pose a threat

No you cannot just shoot someone that happens to be on your property. Like if someone runs through your yard and you shoot them that's illegal. Shooting someone running away is also illegal. Now if they're fucking with something, that's fair game.

>non-Texan reporting in