What is Frank's threshold for whether or not a crime is "acceptable?"

What is Frank's threshold for whether or not a crime is "acceptable?"

Obviously, anything that results in loss of human life, as well as sex and drug related crimes gets him slaughtering guys. But what about other crimes?

What is his stances on thieves and burglars, for example? Pick pockets? Smugglers?
How about abuse? And not just guys who beat their wives, how about people guilty of animal cruelty?
And how about white collar criminals?

Where does Frank draw the line (assuming there is one)?

>What is his stances on thieves and burglars, for example? Pick pockets?
Not worth the attention or effort of killing.
>Smugglers?
If you mean drugs then they get a bullet.
>How about abuse? And not just guys who beat their wives, how about people guilty of animal cruelty?
Kills them or gets them to never do it again
>And how about white collar criminals?
IIRC him killing some guys who were playing the stock market to dangerous effects, but they might have also done other shit too

A big deal was made of this 80s Spider-man story (Crimes & Punishments?) that had him shoot at petty criminals like you mentioned, he doesn't do that sort of thing so the story was supposed to present him finally snapping. He went to jail at the end. Turns out Jigsaw drugged him to drive him nuts, blah blah.

The writer. Frank shot a Lupin the 3rd expy once. But he generally deals in crimes with strong ties to violence. FRANK has never been up against a burglar as far as I know. He's surprisingly versatile, yet strict.

>What is his stances on thieves and burglars, for example? Pick pockets? Smugglers?
Their crimes aren't so bad that they deserve killing. I think the furthest he would go for these kinds of people is intimidation and/or breaking their hands to deter them from further crimes. For smugglers it depends on what they're smuggling. Harmless things he won't care about. For drugs it depends on the case. If the smuggler is being forced to then the people forcing him to do it will be killed while he'll be left alone.

>How about abuse? And not just guys who beat their wives, how about people guilty of animal cruelty?
He'll most likely beat them very hard in order to get them to stop but he won't kill them. He'll resort to intimidation and violence to get a wife beater to leave his wife alone. If the wife's life is in danger then he'll resort to killing the wife beater.

>And how about white collar criminals?
Intimidation and violence to deter them. He'll kill them if their actions cause the deaths of innocent people.

He shot them because they murdered some security guards.

if your criminal actions knowingly result in the death of innocents, you are dead

for everything else it depends how much pain you inflicted on people
for instance, despite not killing anyone, Frank murder a paedophile couple who were raping their children, because it completely fucked up the kid's lives

he won't kill a burglar, he might break something, but not outright murder

He's not fucking Judge Dread. He doesn't have an absolute code he never breaks. He has some vague rules, but otherwise goes with his gut.

>Thieves and burglars and Pickpockets too.
Burglars might get the bullet, thieves and pickpockets would probably get a serious ass beating.
>Smugglers
depends on the item being smuggled. Drugs? Killed. Sex trade? Killed. Old comic books? He wouldn't really care.
>Abuse
The abuser would get killed. He abhors animal cruelty, so he'd probably kneecap someone who beats their dog.
>White Collar criminals
Yup, he'll kill them too. A company was going to shut down electricity to hospitals after Katrina to save money, which would gurantee that people would die, so Frank snuffed em out.

Seems like only murderers, rapists, traffickers, and their ring leaders get the bullet. He usually just gives thieves and whatnot a slap on the wrist.

anyone else here kinda wish that Frank's death during Dark Reign had been permanent?

him staying as Frankencastle permanently would also have been fine

I liked that one moment in the slavers arc when he takes the guys who visited the brothel to a seminar on human trafficking instead of Franking them since they went there without knowing how that place actually operated

>how about people guilty of animal cruelty?

There's been stories where he's massacre dog fighting, smuggling, and poaching rings.

Generally it comes down to the nature of the crime and the character of the criminal. Frank seems to specifically go for the real bastards first, the meanest, nastiest, most malicious sons-of-bitches out there. Frank specifically selects for the guys that no one will ever dare miss, since that's a big part of how he stays under the radar of law enforcement and local capes.

Frankencastle was great, and while on one hand I'd have preferred it gone on longer, I'm worried that if they had, it would have worn out its impact. The thing is, after Frankencastle, he's more or less been totally irrelevant. Marvel never figured out what to do with him. Hell, he didn't even really do anything of meaning in any other event post-Dark Reign until Secret Empire. Cloonan's run started strong with the introduction of a good antagonist in the form of Face, but I feel like Dillon's passing more or less derailed that, and it's been a big nothing-burger since.

We need another Welcome Back Frank, a book that would effectively revitalize the Punisher and make him a character worth caring about.

>Marvel never figured out what to do with him.
hence why I'd rather he be perma-killed in 616

I disagree. He should still be in 616, but generally uninvolved or influenced by whatever major thing is happening, just like his older 616 runs.

Someone explain Frankencastle to me

Frank gets killed by Daken, and us brought back all patched up as if he were Frankenstein ' s monster. I didn't care for it, supposedly it's fun because Frank rode a dragon.

Frank's killed muggers and drug addicts. Unknown on pickpockets or theft. But he's even killed kids on more than one occasion and wondered how young was too young to kill. Frank would kill smugglers though, anything that had the potential to harm people.

He has also attacked people for saying the wrong thing to him and killed his friend Micro for getting involved with some government guys that were involved with drugs. He also once said that it didn't take much for someone to be on his kill list in reference to a reporter who went to great lengths to handcuff himself to the Punisher to try and get a news story, and ended up dead.

Animal cruelty shouldn't result in a death sentence anywhere on this planet

It was fun.

Frank REALLY loves dogs, dude.

I read the first half of your sentence and I legitimately felt frightened because I imagined some unstoppable killing machine chasing after me for some petty/unknown crime, but then I read the second half of your sentence and felt actual, tangible relief.

FRANK CASTLE ISN'T EVEN REAL. WHY DID I GET SCARED? The Punisher literally has such a horrifying reputation for violence that he made me fear for my life when he's not even real. You just don't get that shit with no-killers like Batman and Superman...

>What is Frank's threshold for whether or not a crime is "acceptable?"
He's fine with letting cops that take credit for his work get the bullet.
So, I'd say his acceptability of crime is super low, but he just doesn't go after the corrupt folks as much as he does the violent criminals.

Ok Jed.

I'm not OP but how do he deal with criminal that are mentally ill and would do crimes if their weren't insane?

He'd probably straightjacket them and maybe cripple them.

I actually don't know.

The Green Goblin was sick of the Punisher's shit, so he had Dark Wolverine hack him to bits, but then he was pieced back together by a vampire, a mummy, a werewolf, a swamp monster, and an alien so he could help them fight an army of samurai and a steampunk cyborg unleashed from a Hell dimension.

He hasn't really had a problem with killing obviously insane serial killers.

Ah ok, i need to mention the would was meant to be wouldn't

But what if it was someone who wouldn't be a criminal at all if cured? What if he someone was insane but was being manipulated/used by someone else to do crime?

I've read nearly every Punisher comic, so I can answer these pretty accurately.

>thieves and burglars

Shoplifting wouldn't get someone killed. Armed robbery is 100% going to get their ass killed. Purse-snatching and mugging will get criminals killed. Home invasion is one of the surest ways to get killed by The Punisher. There was an old comic where he said home invaders were near the top of the list for his least tolerated criminals.

>Pick pockets

This is probably a "depends on the situation" thing, but I'd say usually not. I don't explicitly remember him ever killing a pickpocket.

>Smugglers?

Not sure what you mean, but anything I can think of that would be illegal to smuggle would 100% for sure get a criminal killed.

>animal cruelty?

Probably not, but it depends. He killed some dog fighters once or twice, but they were hardened criminals who were doing a lot more than just dogfighting. If it was just animal abuse on its own, I dunno.

>white collar criminals?

Common theme in the comics.

It seems to me that most of Sup Forums hasn't read any pre-Ennis Punisher. See these guys as an example: That story was so retarded that every later writer basically hand waved it and never brought it up again.

>he generally deals in crimes with strong ties to violence

If by violence you mean "drugs", then yeah.

>FRANK has never been up against a burglar as far as I know

He takes on thieves SO often. Like more than guys who only committed murder. Now most of them are VIOLENT thieves, but still.

ANY sex offense is automatic execution, no exceptions. That is THE thing he has always been the hardest on. This has been consistent with his characterization since the early years.

It wouldn't have guaranteed deaths, but he killed them anyway. I still think that's the #1 time that he went the most overboard. But it does prove that he kills for shit as light as financial fraud.

Not at all. Any kind of "forceful theft" is a death sentence.

He doesn't seem to care if someone is "evil" or not. He really just kinda goes "that guy's breaking a law and doing something fucked up" and then executes them.

>drug addicts

When? Just for USING? I honestly don't remember that unless they were doing something more than that.

I don't think he's willing to wait until they're cured. His M.O. is about protecting innocent people NOW.

Has Frank ever fucked up some like bankers and shit? I know there was that copycat guy who did it in some Ennis/Dillon story that I don't remember the name of

>Purse-snatching

By this I mean like forceful purse-snatching, not like similar to pickpocketing.

>steal shit
probably broken ribs
>abuse of animals/humans
probably broken limbs and ribs, maybe coma
>white collar
if they knowingly killed people with their crimes he might kill them, probably on the level of abusers
he probably doesn't care about just people embezzling money from a company that's not the justice he seeks
he steals shit all the time, he's the punisher of violence

Didn't he feed some to sharks in Barracuda?

Stock traders, yeah. Bankers specifically? I'm drawing a blank.

>there was that copycat guy who did it in some Ennis/Dillon story

Mr. Payback? From Welcome Back, Frank?

> From Welcome Back, Frank?

probably

Why would anyone bother with The Punisher before Ennis?

By shooting them.

Well, he's not the criminal justice system. He goes around punishing the fuck out of people.

It's on them to get their asses into a psych hospital before he notices.

spoken like a true casual

The example of the white collar crime I brought up was from the early Mike Baron run you jackass.

Baron is Best

In the last Foolkiller run he passed up a chance to Frank Foolkiller to go after the Hood instead.

The fact that FK voluntarily checked himself into an Asylum probably helped

I've not read Punisher in a while.
Can anyone explain why he's going around looking like Big Boss recently?

>Can anyone explain why he's going around looking like Big Boss recently?

That was years ago, he's back to normal now.

But anyway, he got fucked up by the Red Vulture, who nearly destroyed one of his eyes. He spent a few months in recovery, and grew his beard out during that.

how bad it harms innocents

Confederacy of Dunces. He gets some information from a crackhead on the roof of a building, who then tells him he needs his money, otherwise he might have to go and cut up some bitch and take her money. Frank responds, "good point," then shoves him off the roof of the building.

He was also partially reformed and was only killing legitimately bad people.