Artists claim it's important to have representation and diversity in modern cartoons so kids have someone to relate to

>Artists claim it's important to have representation and diversity in modern cartoons so kids have someone to relate to
>But they grew up on stuff like this and still feel insecure that no one represented them

Did I just imagine the era of Captain Planet, Magic School Bus, Recess, Kids Next Door, and Rocket Power? Cartoons have always had a diverse cast of characters, what's with this attitude that it's somehow "new"?

>Rocket Power
>Diverse
Other than white Latino Twister & some Hawaiians, the shore was white.

TITO

The different is Sup Forums creators weren't trying to virtue signal it into everyone's faces back then. See DuckTales with its attempts to "fix" the old show's female characters and introduce racial diversity into Disney duck universe.

>Burger King Kid's Club
Cynical advertising.
>Captain Planet, The Magic School Bus
Educational TV, therefore crappy. Entertaining in the sense that it was a thrill if you got to watch during school because the teacher didn't feel like teaching that day, but you'd change the channel in a hot second if it came on when you were at home. No child ever voluntarily watched these shows, because who wants to watch a show that tries to preach shit at you? Besides, FoxKids, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were just a few channels down and didn't try to teach kids shit, other than "it's totally okay to eat candy for breakfast, if it's sold as a cereal."
>Recess, Kids Next Door
Okay, you got me with these, these were both good and fairly diverse.
>Rocket Power
You know damn well nobody watched this hideous program.

Anyway, to address your point, I guess the difference is that it felt more forced in the 90's and early 2000's. Like it came out of a board meeting, you know? "Okay, we have our cast of characters, but we need a Black, a Latino, a cripple, a girl and some kinda Asian!" It's like they were filling in boxes on some invisible checklist.

Nowadays, you have people of color actually working in the industry and trying to do it in a genuine sort of way... But you also still have big corporations trying to cash in the same way they did in the 90's, so it's hard to tell what's sincere, and what's just trying to grab the Tumblr audience.

Otto and Reggie looked to be mix. You mentioned Twister + a mention to his brother who was in a lot of episodes. Then there was Tito.

Of the core cast, the only straight-up white kid was Sam.

"DICK"

>You know damn well nobody watched this hideous program.
Rocket Power was one of Nickelodeon's most popular cartoons back when it aired.

Difference is that was the corporations forcing diversity.
The SJWs want to be the one forcing diversity.
Also SJWs want to sneak their fetishes into the shows and be real obvious about it.

>Also SJWs want to sneak their fetishes into the shows and be real obvious about it.

To be perfectly fair, that's nothing new. Animators have been doing it since the 80's.

Why the fuck do I keep seeing gingers and shit in these diverse groups
Fuck gingers

>See DuckTales with its attempts to "fix" the old show's female characters and introduce racial diversity into Disney duck universe.
They are all ducks though and not humans? I mean, I guess theres also dogs and pigs and such but I don't think those count as races.

I meant the introduction of brown ducks. Brown ducks actually voiced by black actors and Hispanic actors like Lin-Manuel Miranda, as if all the white ducks in previous Disney duck outings were meant to be an analog for white people.

Was recess that diverse? I mean, Vince was black but that's about it as far as the main cast.

Not really complaining or anything, it was a great show but I don't see it as much of a big thing for diversity kind of stuff.

Yeah, but they are still ducks though?

I mean, unless they start talking about the history of white duck oppression or whatever I don't see that being a problem.

Should black and hispanic actors never voice characters or something?

One of the original characters was changed to a brown duck and given a hyphenated hispanic last name so now he's Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera all while being voiced by Lin Manuel.

Changing to a brown duck is fine, but adding a last name that doesn't even fit the duck-theme is kind of stupid. I mean fuck, they couldn't even make it Crack-cáscara or something. It's super shoehorned and not clever at all.

WATTS

Well, there was also Spinelli, who I thought was maybe Asian but turns out is actually Italian-American (still counts, I guess).

Other than that, a pretty large portion of the supporting cast are kids of different races, and it felt less like a diversity push and more like an attempt to portray what it was actually like in some public schools.

I'm still not seeing how this is incredibly bad though?

I mean, maybe changing the last name is a little silly but it doesn't seem like it would really hurt the character much. Fenton was just a show original intended to substitute for Donald anyway and now they have Donald again so he's not really too essential.

Plus, its a new continuity - if they can change the characters personalities then throwing in a a few tweaks for a minor side character doesn't seem that offensive to me.

Have there been any rigorous studies that show representation in media actually has a positive effect on anything other than the representational actors' bank accounts?

Otto & Reggie's mom, Danni, was white, probably Italian. So, Caucasian.

There was that Rastafarian owner of the skate park..,

I liked Captain Planet on my own as a little kid. It made me feel like I was saving baby seals by recycling and shit.

Come to think of it, I liked The Magic Schoolbus too. Books, show, and computer games.

>Italian
>white

Italians are white. Don't try to make them special.

It's not bad, it's just shoehorned. The idea that they cast Lin-Manuel ergo the duck MUST be changed to black and MUST have a spanish last name is kind of more offensive than simply changing the character to a brown duck to add some variety to the color schemes.

Like why wasn't Gyro changed to a brown duck with the spanish last name instead? They're both partner characters and went through a make-over anyway. We both know the answer why they chose the duck being voiced by Lin-Manuel as their diversity push. It reeks of corporate poking, which is honestly not that much different than Bliss from nuPPG.

>Pale Blue Eyes
Dude...

You've never heard Whoopie Goldburg Star Trek thing?

The computer games and Magic School bus toys were fucking dope. I liked the show for the wrong reasons though, I wanted to drive a cool shape-shifting bus that could go underwater and fly through space.

I doubt thats been anything seriously studied much.

I know that they found that people who liked Superman tended to be less proactive about helping others than people who liked hereos who weren't as powerful since the characters were closer to actual human scale and represented the ability for ordinary people to make a difference.

So maybe it applies a bit to people too?

People respond to memes in society a lot - like all the racism memes/stereotypes that have persisted for centuries even if the behaviors that may have inspired them aren't around anymore. So maybe positive depictions of people like you could have some sort of positive effect on your development?

I guess its all just a big "Who knows?" at this point. At the very least its well meaning, so even if it turns out to not be too effective it wasn't done with malicious intent.

Representation as in original black characters introduced into a cast, IE: Black Panther. Or characters changed for diversity, IE: Black Human Torch in new Fantastic Four?

EEENGGH! I'll strangle that Clyde Cash! I'll punch his lights out!

>Italian-American (still counts, I guess).
It feels really weird to me that I know people of Italian descent that identify as white and even object to immigration.

If Italians aren't white, what are Greeks? Spanish?

Greeks are Greek and Spanish are Spanish? I don't know, seems pretty straightforward to me.

>Spanish
Filthy moors.
>Greeks
Pay debts

But, what race? Caucasian/white, African/black, Asian/yellow...

Italians are white. Greeks are white too. Spanish are white as hell.

If we take white to mean "descended from Europeans" then they all fit. Also, the Greeks and Romans were behind the foundations of western european society.

I don't know how the fuck you define "white" if it doesn't include actual friggin europeans

I prefer the continental way of classifying people than saying, "White, black, Hispanic" because those can mean anything around the entire world.

Stuff like European, Asian, or South American descent makes more sense to me. I think I'm pretty much alone on that though.

well you see it's more of a matter of blondes and brunnetes, with the mediteranian white people (italians and greeks and jews) being the master race and blondes (nords) being equivalent to subsaharan africans.

Meditteranean. It's like Middle Eastern, but a bit north.

It comes from the British Imperial days, when white really meant anglo-saxon descendant.

Apparently retro's in i guess idk.

Yes.

No, was she inspired to get on ring because she saw a black actress or something dumb like that?

>>Artists claim it's important to have representation and diversity in modern cartoons so kids have someone to relate to

if it's important in cartoons, why isn't it important in other parts of entertainment
it's important in almost all aspects of society, well that's what they want you to believe . They pick and choose where it needs to be forced

so me as a white kid can't watch my favorite basketball team because there are no white players on my team... no i would be in the wrong, because FULL diversity actually means NO white people/characters
it's a company just like any other
shouldn't they have to abide by the forced diversity

TNG

stfu shoobie

It's really interesting listening to American's talk about race. In Austria, everyone see regions as races in themselves, but Americans step back and only look at colors as races. Such as, my father sees the Swedish, Brits, French, Turks, North, Middle, and South Africans all as different races. But my American friends say, This is white, they are black, and they are Muslim.

It's because Americans are all mixed.

I wouldn't worry about it, I hear Merkel's helping y'all clear all that up in a generation and two. Your grandkids will be playing big league identity politics with the best of us.

Entertainment can be tweaked and bent and the story will still work. Athletic abilities don't work the same way. It's one of the few industries where, "You hire the best!" doesn't co-exist with the diversity push, which is why you'll often see a lot of people of a certain race who excel at certain sports or olympic challenges.

And yes, the "you hire the best" SHOULD be something that you do for every industry. However, there is much less risk in hiring an IT girl in your office who isn't as experienced as the guy but still very good if it looks good on the company's employee statistic sheets. No one is investing $5 mil in that IT lady for it to matter compared to a sports star.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just how it works.

Al Gorebal Warming is a Jew hoax

Which always perplexes me. For decades they've done such a good job not caring about race and origin but now they shove it in everyone's face and are mad about it. If I was to marry a black woman I would never be able to talk to my family again. In Sweden and Germany, it makes sense for people to talk about this so openly. They never had to experience culture's mixing, but America you become American. They should be happy that everyone's American instead of trying to be everyone at the same time. But I just took a tech degree from you guys so I shouldn't care too much :)

How would that be studied?

No, they were polynesian

I'd add a caveat, employers want a bare minimum of competency and don't care above that, the greatest IT worker is still on the same level as the mediocre to executives who don't give a damn as long as the computers get fix.

Merkel is Germany's whore, not ours. Our government is making Burqa illegal and deporting refuges to Italy so they can rob their cars.

Please I'm irish-swedish-franco-german-italian-coctaw.

I'm not mixed.

Cable news and the internet have allowed people to mentally segregate themselves into their own little worlds and provide a platform for shit that would of not spread beyond someone's private rant.

Yeah, Nichelle Nichols playing Uhura on Star Trek since she was a black woman on TV in the 60's who wasn't a maid or servant but an officer serving along with the other characters.

That was a pretty big deal at the time.

Keep telling yourself that race-traitor

They are just hunting for virtue and attention. These people are not genuine in any way. If they cared about minorities at all they'd be protesting for meaningful change like justice system reform to keep the criminal schools (prisons) from pumping out even more hardened criminals. If they cared about minorities they'd fight the cultures that breed the thug mentality. They are purely selfish people and one of the many reasons trump won.

Good for y'all. I had assumed Austria was still the EU's bitch, just read up on their recent refusal to take more """refuggees."""

Not all American people think that way. I see myself as an Appalachian/Pennsylvania Dutch and see New Yorkers as New Yorkers, Californians/West Coast as Californians, Texans as Texans, New Englanders as New Englanders, Midwesterners as Midwesterners, and Southerners as Southerners.

Except people who act ghetto. They are ghettos.

>wheelz

You're only "American" when you leave the country to travel. Modern America isn't that old, there aren't families who have been living here for 50 generations. And a lot of people are first or second born generation, too, if not outright immigrants. And a ton are mixed races, too.

>You know damn well nobody watched this hideous program.

I watched it

I remember the little post-credit tips they'd give. One was "always use both sides of a page of paper so you'll use half as much paper". Took it to heart for years afterward.

Static Shock was great with diversity.