Let's be honest Sup Forums, you really want to read these comics

Let's be honest Sup Forums, you really want to read these comics.

Mark my words you and every other comic book reader is going to be buying these and they'll fly off the shelves.

I'm treating it like a marvel event.
I will read it but I ain't paying for it.

They'll sell well, I'm not particularly interested in DC milking the shriveled teat of Watchmen again though.

I'll read the trade, yeah.

I don't care for the writer and artist though.

Is there anyone who DOESN'T think this is going to be good? Johns has proven himself to be an excellent writer for well over a decade now. The Rebirth one-shot was excellent, and that first issue of The Button might just be the best issue of the year this far. I'm disappointed with The Oz effect, but at the same time, none of the people involved in that are going to be doing Doomsday Clock, so I can live with it.

>and that first issue of The Button might just be the best issue of the year this far
That's a huge fucking stretch even for you Plas.

Johns didn't write The Button

>first issue of the Button

That was Tom King.

the endless trash that was his Justice League kind of soured me on him

Tom King wrote The Button and honestly is the only current DC writer I would trust to do anything like Doomsday Clock. Johns is a fine cape writer, but let's not pretend subtly and nuance are his forte.

Probably not, OP. I'm so far out of loop with current big two stuff that I just don't care.
I have long thought a DCU/Watchmen crossover was inevitable, though.

I'll wait for a TPB of the event
Whenever that shit may be

Yeah, the first issue of the Button was actually pretty damn good. The second issue wasn't all that great though, and neither was the third. Though the fourth was decent. If the Doomsday Clock series is as good as the first issue of The Button though it will be pretty damn good.

Yeah right dude. I wouldn't read this shit if you paid me. That's how I felt about Before Watchmen and that's how I feel about this.

Johns' enthusiasm for it is exciting and saying that he's really trying to go back to the themes of watchmen and interpolate them for the present day sounds great, and that it's not just going to be a batman-rorschach or manhattan-superman fight. There's going to be real dimensions (albeit without nuance) to this stuff

I'm personally very excited for the lex luthor-ozymandias meet up and follow up to the three jokers things. Maybe it's just because I haven't had an ongoing johns comic since his run on justice league ended but he has a knack for making things like x-hero meets x-character for the first time feel fun and important

amazo virus was good and so was throne of atlantis. the rest did suck

But Before Watchmen is literal shit

Okay, I'll confess I haven't read too much this year, but I haven't heard anyone say the issue was BAD.

I didn't say he did write the Button (though I could see how I'd come off that way), but since it's tying into the event that he's setting up, he definitely had some hand in it.

Entirely fair assessment. I only read Origin, which I just found incredibly bland. It was inoffensive, but it couldn't motivate me to read more.

>follow up to the three jokers things

I feel like that's still a ways off, unfortunately. They haven't brought up the issue in relation to Doomsday Clock and more realistically than not it'll probably be held out there for its own event or storyline or something.

the solicit for #2 has me hopeful
>"In this second chapter: The Dark Knight discovers another relic from the Watchmen world. Lex Luthor pays a devil’s bargain. And killer clowns trek through Gotham seeking a madman."

You did point out that the first issue stands out above the other 3. It's notable that Johns plotted the story, but King and Williamson shared the script duties. King only did part one and Williamson did the rest.

>King did the one that makes extensive use of the 9-panel format

Gee, who could have seen that coming?

im just waiting for something legion related tbqh familia

im also hoping for a rebirth trade that covers all the relevant issues

hickman's finally got legion

he had lunch with jim lee and I think dan didio and that's the big thing he's always wanted to do even more so than fantastic four

i know a lot of people have issues with King, but I kinda feel like he should write Doomsday clock, or at least do one issue. 9 panel is something that he is pretty good at

I won't read them, just like I haven't read a Rebirth comic in more than a year

Not really.
Before Watchmen showed DC is really careless with the Watchmen universe.
Johns likes introducing meta themes in his narrative, but they are usually superficial and often self-contradictory. He is no Morrison.
While the modern world feels more Cold War than it has felt in the last couple decades, I don't see any way in which shoving modern politics in the story won't come out hamfisted.
Moreover, Johns process still feels like he started with a Watchmen crossover and then decided he needed some themes to shove into it. It seems considerably less natural than the usual, pick themes and mold the story around them.
The mere contact between Watchmen's realistic superheroes and DC's more idealistic superheroes would on its own change the setting and characters as a whole.

Have there really been implications of the Comedian meeting the Joker? I don't like that at all. The Comedian would feel more at home meeting the Suicide Squad and Waller. He is more of a USAgent type of character, really.

Let's be honest Sup Forums, you really want people to buy your shitty comics in order to bolster the stock price of your parent company.

Mark my words you and every other comic book seller is going to be advertising these ad nauseum and they'll be yet another nail in the coffin for the industry.

i figured it out - this is gonna be the new rorschach

there's been an implication that Laurie becomes the Comedian

And so is this.

I'll treat it like I treat Metal.

Reading random pages and panels posted here and shitposting like I know what's going on.

Shitty events always sell gangbusters since they're the ultimate casual bait. I don't think anybody will deny that it won't sell.

>Jim Lee
That might just mean Authority. I hope it's the Authority.

we haven't even seen a preview

I forgot about the wild storm spin off books

I think he'll get WildCATS. spy/espionage/mercenary shit seems to be up his alley

Where? Never heard this anywhere before.

Also, Laurie is the most trash character in Watchmen. Not surprising really when Moore just see women as plot devices to get raped/murdered.

there's a panel towards the end of Watchmen where she talks about changing identities, followed by this cover for Doomsday Clock

>Johns has proven himself to be an excellent writer for well over a decade now

(You)

>you really want

nope

>they'll fly off the shelves
will sell worse than Batman does regularly but better than the average DC floppies, so again no

>Is there anyone who DOESN'T think this is going to be good

Right here, right now

>Johns has proven himself to be an excellent writer for well over a decade now
The Cereal King has been barely adequate post 52 and since we do not know how much of that was him and how much wasn't, perhaps not even since then. So far from 'excellent' and for well more than a decade.

I'm confused by this image. What am I looking at?

it's a cover for Doomsday Clock #2 showing what is likely Laurie's new costume

It's going to be great. Get fucked Sup Forums.

Clothes on the floor, user.

Is this a meme I'm not getting?
I'm tenatively hopeful, just who are you trying to troll here?

Why would I be upset that my extremely low expectations are subverted?

not a bad way to go through life as long as you can keep from killing yourself...

fucking pessimists.

No, shill, i don't.
There are good ideas for crossovers, and then there is this. Hell, you can tell that the idea is shit when the concept of prequels to Watchmen made more sense.

It's gonna be below average and probably butcher the Watchmen characters personalities, but we're all going to read it anyway cause it's DC.

How did you get pessimism from my fucking post and not skepticism or cynicism?

Is it better to have unreasonably high expectations and then feel disappointed when it turns out to be average?

I'll keep my expectations low so I actually can at least enjoy it for what it is.

Me? I won't even pirate.

Don't you lie. You'll probably at least read the storytime threads when they inevitably show up.

Superman discovers that Dr Manhattan has been trying to hide the DC multiverse from that antler looking big bad from the end of Multiversity. They team up and prepare for war after Superman's dad is murdered. Antler man is killed by the power of hope or something. Watchman universe gets a reboot. Roshache returns.

lolno