How good are the young animal books? I haven't read any DC since Vertigo stopped. This is trying the new Vertigo right?

How good are the young animal books? I haven't read any DC since Vertigo stopped. This is trying the new Vertigo right?

Shade is one of the best books DC is putting out.

Shade and Doom Patrol are great.

>his is trying the new Vertigo right
Being on the edge of the DCU, yes. Doom Patrol and Shade are great, Mother Panic is kind of generic, and I haven't read Cave yet

Are the Doom Patrol runs outside of Morrison and the current one any good?

Shade is my favorite book in the big 2 and Bug! is hella fun Scioli's back-ups and the Rocks ones are great but Cave Carson, MP and Doom Patrol are kinda all bad

Vertigo is still around but dead as fuck. Only 3 series, astro city, american way and savage things are still running. There is a new horror miniseries coming in november after savage things ends though, plus reprints of older series.

There are like ten different thing trying to be the new Vertigo now. Young Animal tries to be the mature outskirts of the DCU like Vertigo was a for a little while but I wouldn't say it's the new Vertigo entirely.

It's worth checking out Doom Patrol and Shade.

yeah they're okay
some are great

>not liking Cave and DP
what are you, some kind of faggot?
agreed about Shade though

Yes. I just got the omnibus for the Drake/Haney run.

I've only read CC and DP, loved them both.

I don't pay attention to comic stuff often

But Vertigo stopped?

Shade has been my favorite so far. It honestly holds up as well as the original Milligan Shade and I hope it can continue.

Karen Berger left 5 years ago. They still exist but they're not what they were.

Yes.
It's also worth checking out the flintstones.
It sounds dumb but it is really one of the best things to come from rebirth

>basically fucking unanimous about Shade
Well, shit.
OK. I've never read Milligan's Shade; should I read it before I get into new Shade? Or would you say it's possible to go in knowing nothing of previous runs and still love it as much as you guys do?

You don't need to know anything to pick up Shade the Changing Girl
Milligan's Shade is absolutely excellent but you won't be able to find it on bookshelves

100% possible. There's only a few references to Milligan's Shade, and it might not have actually happened. There's his name, Rac, and the name of his old fiance, but those were old Ditko names. The only thing might be that Rac Shade was a poet on Meta (the alien planet). Loma (the character in this) is a fangirl of him and his trips to Earth, but there's not specifics.

Like this user said, you won't find Milligan's run anywhere. Only 3 trades were produced, collecting 19/70 issues. The entire thing is on comixology if you buy digital stuff.

That sucks.

Thank you, anons. I'll give it a shot.

i knew nothing of milligan shade before reading it and still loved it. made me actually go and read milligain's stuff to get a better appreciation.

I've only read Shade and Bug.

Shade took me an issue or two to really warm up to but once it gets good, it gets GOOD.

Bug on the other hand I'm still kind of cold too. I'll give it another shot when I can though. I've heard mixed to good positive things about Cave and Mother Panic. Doom Patrol seems to get quite a bit of love too.

Milligan Shade is really, really good for the first 50 issues, then it becomes almost a parody. Milligan wanted it to finish at 50, but DC said that they would continue without him, so he crapped out 20 more kind-of-bad issues after.

This.
Flintstones is god tier.