Are you ready for the greatest comic book crossover event in the last decade?

Are you ready for the greatest comic book crossover event in the last decade?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6jFwhIjlR5g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>the greatest comic book crossover event in the last decade
Wow. Setting the bar THAT low, how can it fail?

Please dont be canon in the watchmen universe

You know I'm right.

It's not a crossover event, it's a 12 issue miniseries

more like exhumes gay cock

I think the joke is that there isn't much competition when you compare the past ten years of comic book events.

Hell, just go back three years and tell me if Marvel made anything more anticipated than "Doomsday Clock".

Yeah, pretty soft sell there. Made me chuckle.

It is and pic related.

Frank already said it wasn't

Civil War was within 10

Civil War II was within three.

Nobody had any hype about for CWII with Benis

dark nights metal is already happening, user

DC has done a lot of moves that put them back in the good graces of their fans, and a lot of it has been based in breaking into their own museum to resurrect what has been great in the past. DKR III sold well for them, but no one's going to think back on it as a "great work" like the original. Hell, I even like DKR II for at least for it's experimental tone in art and plot direction, even though I'll admit it's a mess. It was still a mess on Miller's terms as an artist.

But these Watchmen prequels and now the integration of them in the main universe -- I can't get over how crass it all seems. It's like when Arthur Doyle wrote more Sherlock stories after he killed him. He wrote that stuff because he thought it was what people wanted and for the paycheck. Even Sherlock fans ignore "wartime" Holmes.

As elitist as it sounds, Watchmen was a literary work. It didn't spell out everything and was its own thing, and DC was lucky enough to have it in their library. And now we're going to have what? Dr. Manhattan argue existentialism with Superman? Ozy team up with Luthor? This is shit would would pass over on fanfiction.net.

This event will probably be a fun ride, but I hate what it represents. Civil War II is better in my mind because there's no lasting artistic or plot damage done. Tony and Rhodey will come back, and She-Hulk will stop being depressed some day. But Doomsday Clock fucks up the completed story and point of Watchmen.

This event would've been 100 times better if it was just some Watchmen stand-ins and a proper writer got attached to it in order to do a decent clash of perspectives on superhero comics and to make it have some edge. By doing this, we know nothing important will happen to any of the Watchmen characters 'cause DC wouldn't allow it, and they might even go as low as to resurrect The Comedian and Rorschach.

it's not a crossoer, and dark nights metal already has title, outselling death of superman

Laurie is already implied to become the new Comedian, and obviously Rorschach will come back in Question Rebirth

you implying cereal lord isn't a proper writer?

I like Johns. I like Watchmen. I haven't read a DC comic since Multiversity. Doomsday Clock will bring me back.

So, she takes the mantle of the guy who fathered her by raping her mom? I'd like to see how Johns deals with that.

I am. He's just a fanboy.

haters always hating

she wasn't actually fathered by the rape, it happened after

and Laurie seems pretty cool about it

>the guy who fathered her by raping her mom
I'm gonna assume you've read/seen Watchmen and just forgot but the Comedian and Laurie's mom later had a consensual fling that caused Laurie's conception.

Ah, right, I misremembered it. And here she's saying her mom did nothing wrong, not saying anything about The Comedian.
This could be going in interesting directions, but Johns is at the helm so I highly doubt it.

>Watchmen and just forgot but the Comedian and Laurie's mom later had a consensual fling that caused Laurie's conception.
I remembered they moved on to a relationship but I misremembered about the pregnancy being the product of the rape. I've read it only once, and many years ago.

I don't hate Johns. I'm slowly getting into Green Lantern because of his work. This goes beyond a writer's abilities. What are you really going to say or add to the themes of Watchmen?

I promise you, at some point, Dr. Manhattan is going to say "Nothing ever ends" because he said it at the end of Watchmen, and it's going to be a clever reference and be a theme of the event. But that theme was already made, and very well in Infinite Crisis.

Johns is a very good curator, and he always strives to find a place for characters new and old. But that isn't going to cut it for the characters of Watchmen. Each character was a criticism or deconstruction of superhero comics. Those guys don't do well in a shared, perpetual universe. They'll have to be neutered or shifted in a way where they won't be recognizable.

Hey, remember when The Authority got streamlined into the DC universe? Boy, that sure was cool. I don't even know if they have a comic anymore. The last reminder of them I got was when Midnighter showed up in a few Nightwing comics. Boy, I can't wait until Nite Owl teams up with Batman. Because you know that shit is coming, and I bet he's going to be having marital trouble with Silk Spectre.

to be fair, Authority is kinda hard to implement on the DC universe, at least Middy and Apollo transitioned well enough.

>Dr. Manhattan argue existentialism with Superman?
Not even that, any delusion anything in any sort will be significantly argued or discussed and not just a string of platitudes is self-imposed.
Doubtful? Ask yourself when was the last time Johns wrote a characteristically compelling Superman, and he's to stack this non-achievement atop writing for another character he's never done so before?

So what's with Ozymandias being in the DCU? I thought it was just Manhattan

But muh Watchmen pedestal

It was attempted rape.

>What's with Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre becoming Gotham and Gotham Girl?
>What's with The Comedian and the Squid from the end of Watchmen fucking with Superman and his son?
>What's with Ozymandias fucking with the DC Universe in general as Mr Oz?
How angry will you be if it's proven to not be Ozymandias at all?
>Muh Bracers
Remember
>Muh Cigar
For The Comedian in Superman?
What about
>Muh first two letters
for Oz?
I don't even have any fucking clue how people thought Gotham was somehow Nite-Owl

but both Midnighter books DC You and DC Rebirth were pretty solid.

>What's with Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre becoming Gotham and Gotham Girl?
Haha, I never heard that one

He writes decent comics but they aren't exactly intellectual. He writes fun stories that don't have a lot of depth, this comic is him out of his element in terms of the thematic gravitas it should carry

It's pretty obvious from the gauntlets that's supposed to be Ozymandias, same as Manhattan's big blue hand

who's a DC character with braces like that, i'm blanking? oh shit it's capt marvel

Johns has been shit for 10 years.

His justice league was terrible and he is known as a dumb ignorant guy, anyone hyped for this is either a fanboy or a casual.

Remember his take on the new gods? how darkseid war was supposed to be good?

there were parts of darkseid war that were good, namely anything with the crime syndicate

i liked his mister miracle too
the last issue was retarded

Might be Black Adam. But could be Captain Marvel, he and Lex going Kingdom Come but I doubt that since Johns already did a "This worldn't isn't gonna go like the Kingdom Come Story" with Ross.

To be fair it wasn't a prevalent theory. Speaking of pic related. Comedian being one of the three fucking Jokers, that was so fucking stupid.

>10 Years
Should have scaled back so people would bite your bait, that would still count his JSA run and Blackest Night and his Wally Run. Aquaman was genuinely good and actually gave the character the much needed push so people would take him seriously. JL was pretty stale though.

Blackest night was shit

>namely anything with the crime syndicate
You mean wasting an entire issue rescuing them and then all of them doing nothing?

youtube.com/watch?v=6jFwhIjlR5g

I love how he pretends this isnt a corporated mandated event, this whole shitshow is the result of Warner telling him to take advantage of the IP, johns is a pretty good liar.

I am treating this like a marvel event.
I will read it but I am not paying for it.

Do you really have to use the same response in every thread?

I was pumped till I head that he was spurred back into doing this by the election and all the "things" that happened after. Whatever he meant by that. I'd rather he didn't do it if that's the shit that made him want to do this. Just to make Trump want to deport superheroes or something.

Are you the triggered johnsfag?

He hasn't even written anything good.

Blackest night was literal thrash.

>literal thrash
Yeah I thrashed on my air guitar because Blackest Night was so good.

Johns wont have the skill to write Watchmen characters right. Get a competent writer or not at all. I know Moore wont do it but would Neil Gaiman?

18+

Mmph! I'm desperately looking forward to that juicy steak carved from the rump of a sacred cow!

but secret empire is over

till Zemo breaks out his secret boyfriend and he comes back to take over Marble

he writes comics for retards who think most comic books are just too hard

It could be good. Hell, the first issue of The Button was easily as good as anything Moore had written if not better. And Geoff's art is phenomenal.

I mean, I agree up to a point, but also if he's truly inspired to make a good story it can't be all bad, right? He's got to have something he truly thinks will make it a worthwhile story or else he wouldn't dare touch watchmen.

Johns didn't write The Button

Hello shill.

I know, but it still might be an indicator that they're actually putting talent into this crossover event.

Ready for Rorschach to fuck some shit up guys?

>the first issue of The Button was easily as good as anything Moore had written if not better

Batman getting curbstomped by Professor Zoom and the latter getting roasted really isn't that great.

We have seen what intellectual write these days.
Super tired political comics.

I will take Johns stuff anydays.

>the first issue of The Button was easily as good as anything Moore had written if not better.

You know it's true. Don't be a faggot.

Pretty decent bait. Thumbs up.

the best comic of the past year was pretty political, though

We get it you're not buying it, no need to spam it all the time

Every thread where the response fits yes.

Even if it's poorly written, which I doubt it will be, Frank's art is enough to get me interested

Civil War was one of the worst comics in the modern day and only liked by shitty normies and ten year old kids.

Why people hated "Before Watchmen" outside of the "Watchmen is sacred" argument?

This!

If you can't be arsed to read the fucking thing, stop virtue signaling. You fucking people will be the death of this board.

Just the idea is dumb. No one cares what happened before the story.

Simply using the characters in the DCU might be cheap, but at least there's the crossover appeal.

>No one cares what happened before the story
And why not? It will never affect the content of the original story anyway, this is just more extra-content than ruining the franchise.
I just can't get all the forced hatred for it.

What would Batman find reading the ramblings of a crazy man?

Alright man, you could have added more of a variety but you do you.

>The Button was easily as good as anything Moore had written if not better

This is what DC fanboys actually believe.

It misinterpreted and got a lot of backstory wrong.

>Professor zoom
It was Reverse Flash

Please, i haven't read anything leading up to this (or anything DC since Darkseid War) and i want to read it when it comes out. What should I read? Thanks.

The DC Universe Rebirth one shot. The Button. Superman Reborn. Oz Effect.

Hopefully washes out the shit taste of Metal

Much appreciated user.

Metal is going to look like a masterpiece next to Doomsday Clock.

I like Johns. I don't like Watchmen.

But I'm willing to check this series out because it doesn't sound like the story is pro-Watchmen. On the contrary, it sounds like the real message of the story is that, however you may feel about the quality of Watchmen itself, the legacy of its success has had an overall harmful effect on superhero comics.

That's what the general idea of Rebirth felt like. But I think that was abandoned.

Johns flat out said he wasn't going to do it anymore in recent interviews. It was the election that spurred him back into doing it. What that tells me is he wants to do the Trump book like Moore did the Nixon book with Watchmen.

Oh screw you

Only an asshole could think this. Metal is absolute trash.

Watchmen wasn't a Nixon book, it was a cold war book. Slick Dick hadn't been in office for over a decade.

>And why not?
There doesn't necessarily need to be a why. People don't want that.

Personally my why is similar to the ones I have for a Joker origin or a Wolverine origin. They're better without it.

Nixon was literally the President in Watchmen.

>Watchmen wasn't a nixon book
Bro, he didn't just make him a tyrant-like president for fun. He didn't randomly select nixon.

You're either twelve or retarded.

>hasn't read watchmen

>blink and you'll miss it moment
The man himself was irrelevant to the book.