Rock Dog

How come reviewers seemed to hate this movie when it came out in theaters, but now that it's on home video people seem to be liking it? Even looking at the Tomatometer it doesn't really have very many reviews. Was the movie's marketing and distribution just really bad?

It seems to me like the movie's audience just didn't know it existed rather than there being no audience for it. Everyone I've shown it to has been pleasantly surprised.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7tVS05BJAVs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it's the critics' job to hate things.

Except when it's artsy. Or Disney/Pixar.

Even the youtube reviewers were harsh on this movie. They generally seemed to have the attitude of "it's not Disney, Pixar or Dreamworks, so it's shit unless you're 5 year old." It's like there's this unwritten rule that you're not allowed to like cute animated movies unless they're from Disney.

it was shit, not that it's on dvd though only those who are already interested in it will check it out and far more likely enjoy it. You are dealing with bias OP

In case you have no idea what happened during the last 10 years, Nostalgia Critic became the norm for video "reviews" online. You're doing a "review" when you just shit all over something. Otherwise, you aren't cool and junk. Not saying Doug Walker is guilty of this, but that is what happened.

Good point. Youtube reviewers are basically just there to repeat whetever they think the internet consensus will be. If they think people are looking for shitty reviews they are going to give a movie a shitty review. If they know a movie is really hyped and they will have fanboys jumping down their throat if they pan it, they will either give it a good review or a "careful" review. Whatever gives them the most clicks.

What's more, not only do people like having their opinion validated for why they aren't going to go watch a particular movie, but also a bad review of a popular movie will get a lot of attention. People who resent a movie's success despite being "bad" in their view are more likely to go and watch several hours of bad reviews for it than they are to go and watch the movie itself.

In the case of Rock Dog though, no-one even really saw it coming. A few Youtubers saw it as an acceptable target for a scathing review but the vast majority ignored it outright.

Didn't china want Rock Dog to fail or something

A bunch of butthurt theater chain owners did.

Who cares? Post Dharma.

I did exactly what you asked.

Darma is sweet.

Who did you show this movie? Mom and kids?

In China, a shitton of movie theaters excluded it from their film lineup. I never saw any ads of it online or in person. There were some Sup Forums threads when it came out in theaters, which is how I heard about it.
>critics
Ain't worth shit. Rock Dog is inoffensively bland with charming character designs. Hardly anything worth going into a rabid hate frenzy over.

I vaguely recall that. What was the reason?

Yo, that dog's cute.

I don't know, people just seemed to want to hate it. I thought it was pretty good for what it was, the music was pretty good as well.
Darma is 300% cute too which helps.

If that's the case then Disney has truly succeeded at preventing another Don Bluth.

wELL PLAYED.

A SINGLE owner of movie theater chains had some sort of problem with one of the head people working on Rock Dog, thus he forbid the showing of the movie across all his theaters in all of China, which was a lot of fucking theaters.

That is being a jerk chink level.

Mmm! I love ftm trans representation in media

OwO what's this?
Really, though, haven't heard of it till now.
At the very least, the designs are nice.

The movie isn't bad, it's a bit generic but it's okay in my book. It deserved more love, but you may right, the distribution sucked in China, USA and other countries, also competed with Lego Batman if I remember right. I'm happy more people have started to notice it, but it isn't enough.

Also, I love Darma, please, we need more fanworks of her.

Actually, compared with big studios (Pixar, Disney Illumination, Dreamworks even Blue Sky), it looks a bit outdated. But character designs look simple but awesome, even the conceptual art looked very nice, I wish it would have been a traditional animation film.

To bad she only appeared like 10 minutes or so in the movie. But I'm glad there is a bit more art of her than before.

The important thing is that the characters move nicely and it has good timing. I am willing to overlook a lack of polygons and fancy shaders if things at least look good in motion.

Ratchet and Clank's biggest problem was that the animation was very floaty and badly timed, which you wouldn't notice in a minute long video game cutscene, but in a 90 minute movie you start to notice something is off pretty quickly. Bad timing is what gives a lot of bad animated movies that "dizzy" feeling.

On a technical level the movie looks outdated but on an artistic / direction level it's good enough to hold up against mainstream studio productions.

I think that might be part of why people dismissed it in theaters but when they actually watch it they generally seem to enjoy it, because at the end of the day the technological aspect of making animated movies is secondary to how things actually look when they move. You can have decent looking models but if the animators don't animate them properly it doesn't look good, whereas more basic looking models and lighting can look alright when you have animators who know what they're doing.

>from the co-director of Toy Story 2 and writer of Surfs Up.
>loosely based on some edgy chinese webcomic.

is it on netlfix or somewhere else? why the sudden popularity?

It's not on Netflix although it's possible that Redbox rentals and piracy are contributing to increased awareness of it.

I saw the movie on Blu-Ray at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and I decided to return a few days later to pick up a copy. They were all sold out and they only had a few DVD copies left. I went to Target and I was able to get one of their last two copies. Granted they are not going to be shipping the quantities you'd see for a big movie like Zootopia, but I was genuinely surprised to see it selling out.

disney's overrated, and shoehorned everywhere.
but.. i am happy to see this movie not as a complete failure.

A nice movie of an animal city about follow your dreams, music and stuff, it isn't Zootopia nor Sing but is a nice and funny film. You should give it a try.

it's good but i'd crop it.

it's better then Sing t.bh

if not for her plain skirt, she'd be a very convincing boy

Yeah, I agree, but most of the people and target audience prefer nice, bright colors and 'realism' over artistic direction, plot or character development. I haven't watched Ratchet and Clank, is it really that bad? I can't believe nice graphics don't go well with an animation, at least in a commercial film like that.

But yeah, you may be right about the secondary aspect, Toy Story now looks too damn plastic (even if I loved when I was a kid) but the plot and characters are still awesome and funny. I'd feel bad if the new generations don't enjoy the film just its appearance.

I don't understand why centaur foxes are a thing.

I'm glad they did it. Who would pay for watching a film about filthy dogs playing heavy metal on nightclubs and other rock stars rip-offs? Damn, I want this now lol

Not on Netflix as far as I know, it's on Google and Apple digital stores, or on DVD/Blu Ray for physical copies.

Obligatory

Overrated yes, but it still has some nice movies. I loved Zootopia but I'm afraid most of this success is just by Disney's brand (even if Disney itself didn't give a fuck for Zootopia ala Lion King)

No, Darma in a bunny suit is perfect. My favorite SFW fanart of her.

I think so, but objectively not sure. But Darma is the best wifu of the two. that's a fact.

Reverse trap is best trap, but I always found her too feminine for a boy.

uhh, no.
Zootopia is a case of Kingdom of the Sun/Emperor's new groove.

modern Lion King is __Frozen__

youtube.com/watch?v=7tVS05BJAVs

>power of Reel FX.

Emperor's new groove is goddamn film, but the Lion King is a better comparison, also the analogy with Pocahontas and Moana fits well: Furry movie beats pretencious princess flick. But yeah, probably it doesn't have the same commercial hit like Lion King. Even Emperor's New Groove got a direct-to-video sequel and a tv show. No more Zootopia 'till 2020.

Fuck Frozen and Minions. BTW What is Minion/Despicable me to your standards? Shrek?

>He's cute. Completely delusional, but cute.
Stupid sexy ship tease.

Oh God! I just read about Kingdom of sun. Now I've got your point. This and Zistopia would be too edgy for Disney. Nice one, sorry for have doubted of you user.

>I just read about Kingdom of sun

The documentary is top notch, if you're into that sort of thing.

Because when it came out, two better movies (Zootopia and Sing) were still fresh in our minds.

Rock Dog was a third wheel from some no-name chinese company.

It was made by Reel FX, who did The Book Of Life. Hardly no-name. It was made completely in the US.

>Sing
>good
I dont know where you guys come but no, sing was not good
It might be Illuminations best movie best that's hardly a high bar

Artwork where the character's face looks fairly on-model but the body looks more anthropomorphic / realistic always kind of bugs me. I feel like there's a sort of an imaginary slider where you have to adjust how the character's face looks depending on how similar to realistic human anatomy the body is going to be, but that's just my preference I suppose.