3 years since beware the batman

>3 years since beware the batman
I know it was bad but did this seriously kill off any chance of a batman central cartoon show for years?
Or does the fault lie with Gotham tv show?

>I know it was bad
No it wasn't, it was a decent show that got screwed by Cartoon Network.

>I know it was bad

Opinions

But it wasn’t either show’s fault. It’s a bad time for straightforward DC action cartoons on Cartoon Network. Notice how season three of YJ is coming to a streaming service, and only after much begging.

Magpie deserves more love.

It wasn't bad, it just made the mistake of believing people would stick with it just because it was Batman. It took so long to get going.

I don't understand how ANYONE can defend this piece of shit show.

I mean, The Batman was reviled when it was running and yet managed to last a full 5 seasons and, you know, NOT kill off the franchise. This one wasn't irrationally hated from the very beginning and yet managed to fuck up basically everything.

>it wasn't bad
Ugly designs, unable to do any decent action scenes probably because they were struggling with the cgi, villains and it's nice they did go for the more obscure less used ones but were still lame. The stories weren't all that engaging either. I don't think I remember a single episode from this except lady shiva and her ninjas invading the mansion.

I'm sure CN didn't help much but from what I understand the show was failing in ratings anyways so they just cancelled it or replaced the timeslot with a more popular show. People simply didn't like the cartoon.

>The Batman
Eh I think people look back on the show more fondly now.
People still discuss that show from time to time. Beware the Batman hardly ever got any threads after it got cancelled.
It was just that bad and forgettable to ever other iteration of batman cartoons.

Wow, it ran for five seasons?
I don't remember ever seeing it on television.

>This one wasn't irrationally hated from the very beginning

Lol

But it’s less about defending the show and more to do with CN’s current politics. The Batman was allowed to grow and thive, and had an actual toyline. Kids WB was very different from CN. Hell, early 2000’s CN was different from current CN.

>The Batman was reviled when it was running and yet managed to last a full 5 seasons and, you know, NOT kill off the franchise
OK for one it didn't kill the franchise, if Batman and Robin couldn't this sure as hell won't.
And for another thing The Batman wasn't intentionally fucked over by the network like Beware was.

Nigger what? Before the show even premiered people were hating on it for the CGI animation, YJ and Green Lantern getting cancelled, and the fact it would focus on some of Batman's less known villains.

>I'm sure CN didn't help much but from what I understand the show was failing in ratings anyways
Of course it was, they put it in a time slot at about 7am on Saturday and never advertised that it was on.

I dunno, the second Humpty episode, the one where Batman and Harvey are bound to a bomb, and the Killer Croc intro episode stood out. The last three episodes of the Deathstroke arc were pretty nuts.

>I'm sure CN didn't help much but from what I understand the show was failing in ratings anyways so they just cancelled it or replaced the timeslot with a more popular show. People simply didn't like the cartoon.

Its ratings were on-par with GL, and much better than nuPPG premieres, but in action shows, toys help funding and Beware had no toys.

Actually CN shat all over The Batman because it wasn't "its" show. Kids WB treated it well, but compared to CN nobody watched that channel.
Were you watching Kids WB or CN?

>Before the show even premiered people were hating on it for the CGI animation, YJ and Green Lantern getting cancelled, and the fact it would focus on some of Batman's less known villains.
Only the second of those is an irrational reason.

You didn't like either of the Killer Croc episodes?

True enough. But at least Teen Titans and JL were treated fine.

>People simply didn't like the cartoon.
No. CN did everything they could to kill the show before it even premiered, they're doing the exact same thing to Justice League Action right now.

Teen Titans was treated so well that it was cancelled on a cliffhanger.

(Then again, season 5 was irrationally hated just like The Batman, so yeah. Whatever.)

>I know it was bad
You don't know shit

Well Teen Titans was supposed to end after the Triton arc, but got renewed after so they treated it well for a while.

Yes it was all CN's fault. Not Batman's when it couldn't hold the viewers' attention and interest that did know about the show.

It at least had the best Harvey Dent in years, even if NOT MUH.

Now you're not even trying anymore.

I will never forgive that Holmes faggot for contributing to the show's downfall
>a nutjob shot up a cinema theater, therefore actual guns in a cartoon (which would probably never hit anyone anyway) would upset kids.
Futuristic blasters felt out of place despite other fantastical elements and ruined the show's atmosphere.

How is it bait? There were plenty of people who gave the show a chance and promptly dropped it after several episodes.

The only times people bothered discussing this show was when the concept art and screenshots of the cgi popped up. When the show began airing it got a few hundred replies a thread. After a few weeks barely anyone on Sup Forums talked about it and that was hardly because of the amount of exposure CN gave it. Only a handful of people bothered to keep watching. It's the same with the JLA crap. Threads are dead and it's not because of CN.
CN watchers were well aware the show existed even if it wasn't being promoted heavily. They didn't like what they saw and didn't bother tuning in for it again or even streaming it.

>Beware the Batman hardly ever got any threads after it got cancelled.

It got plenty of discussion when CN booted it and leaks surfaced from Amazon UK. There's also the Toonami threads, even if half of it was rage from weebs who mistakenly thought Toonami was an anime-only block.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how well Beware did (it did okay). Lack of a toyline and CN's aversion to DC action cartoons were the thing that killed it, just like YJ and GL:TAS.

Wasn't this from the Stu Snyder era? That pretty much explains it.

OK clearly you are fucking retarded so let me explain this to you the simplest I can

If a show is only on at 7am once a week on a children's network, no matter how good or bad it is it's going to fail no matter what.

No, that was Telltale Harvey. Though it was fun seeing Batman get his own Kent Mansley and it would've been cool to see him as a full-blown Two-Face in season two.

It's funny. I never see this cartoon really ever discussed. No one talks about the characters or story.

It's always the visuals and the cancellation.

Yup. It was literally cancelled a month or two before Snyder was sacked.

I don't know, I don't like any of Telltale characterizations except for maybe "John Doe".

I think the villains are pretty transparent but the allies have very interesting spins

Can't deny it's the most interesting thing they've ever done with Vicky Vale

I didn't mind Dr. Moreau Pyg. It was a fitting reinvention of the character, and alongside of his friendship with Mr. Toad, filled a new niche of the Batman rogues. I mean, there was also Dr. Dorian and Able Cuvier, but they were boring as fuck and didn't have strong hooks to them.

OG Pyg is memorably creepy as fuck, but he really doesn't lend himself to recurring use. His gimmick can get old and only Morrison writes his dialogue to perfection.

Batman's in basically every JLA episode, so you have that at least.

He surprisingly wasn't in the latest one, which was a sort-of tribute to GL:TAS.

They've even had episodes and shorts with none of the Trinity showing up.

>I know it was bad
Yes, this is known. But Sup Forumsntrarians being Sup Forumsntrarians expect pushback.

>did this seriously kill off any chance of a batman central cartoon show for years?
Given the success of Lego Batman I'd think not.

>Or does the fault lie with Gotham tv show?
Apples and oranges, m'dood.

>MUH CONTRARIANS MEME
And here comes this shitbag.

>Can't deny it's the most interesting thing they've ever done with Vicky Vale
>not Batman vs. Dracula

She was nothing more than a plot device there. At least Telltale Batman gave her an actual, active role to play.

So, Sup Forums. How did you feel about BtB villains?
Anarky is the one who bugs me the most.
I hated him at first because he's an oversimplified Joker-ized bastardization of the original, but he's grown on me by the end of the season. If he was an OC and not Anarky, I'd say he's a pretty good villain who grew over the course of the series.
And then again you can do much worse with the character. Just ask Arrow creators.

>She was nothing more than a plot device there.
I don't agree with this.

I appreciate what they wanted to do and liked that they made them foils to Batman and his allies, as good villains should, but most of them didn't really get any development or origins except for Magpie, Humpty, Deathstroke, and Two-Face. I also think the villains didn't really interact with each other that much, and that would've helped them gain more depth and interest. Only Anarky is the only one that bothers to socialize and build alliances and relationships with other villains.

Magpie's my favorite since he mostly feels like a classic Batman villain without rehashing Batman villain archetypes. Not to mention she's sexy as hell. Pyg and Toad were good as filler villains, but not necessarily compelling. Anarky grew on me, but he should've been another villain entirely.

Killer Croc is also another favorite of mine. He felt more like how Gerry Conway originally wrote him, and the accent they gave him worked like it did in The Batman.

This was made for the show's Comic-Con 2013 panel when the show premiered as a joke about how people reacted to BtB Alfred.

>Some idiot decides to shoot up a theater
>"OH MY GOD WHAT ARE WE DOING MAKING A BATMAN SHOW WITH GUNS?!"
It lost me there

Teen Titans wasn't cancelled nor did it end on a cliffhanger

To be fair, that was WB's call for last-minute censorship than the creators of the show. The very first episode had Batman count a gun's bullets, even though it was a laser gun.

>if it was a studio order then it's okay
No

If it wasn't cancelled, it would still be airing, moron

Also Things Change was a massive cliffhanger.

How on earth was it a cliffhanger?
>w-we never found out if it was T-Terra
That's the fucking point

It wasn't cancelled, it ended

>The cliffhanger was the point
No shit, Sherlock. But people don't like that!

Also there was the small matter of the UNBEATABLE CREATURE

I didn't say it was okay, just that you're blaming the wrong people.

Oh fuck, it's this autist again.

>unable to do any decent action scenes
This is bullshit, Beware had hands down the best fight choreography and direction out of any batman show.

I thought the fight scenes in The Batman were better, even if a bit unfitting for Batman. I still prefer Beware, though.

>did this seriously kill off any chance of a batman central cartoon show for years?

No, Cartoon Network did. Cartoon Metwork doesn't like paying DC/WB animation for tv shows. They purposely do everything in their power to kill any DC show. The only exception is Teen Titans Go! (and that's because it's so cheap to make).

Honestly, AT&T should drop the hammer and give out bitchslaps to CN and every suit and calarts suit. CN is actively hurting their DC superhero brand.

Meanwhile Disney has their house in order and their channel plays all kinds of Marvel shows (Spider-Man, GotG, etc). Regardless of what you think of their quality, the shows are promoting the brand and teaching kids about the characters.

That's pretty much why DC is doing their streaming service. I'm not too confident about it, but at least they're trying to put their animation projects out of CN's clutches.

>Meanwhile Disney has their house in order and their channel plays all kinds of Marvel shows (Spider-Man, GotG, etc). Regardless of what you think of their quality, the shows are promoting the brand and teaching kids about the characters.

This is true. Even GotG, which is their least popular show, gets plenty of promotion and multiple seasons.

It was a metaphor to their everyday fights and how Beast Boy was an important part of the team.

Yup. Murakami isn’t into over explaining everything, which is why there was little focus on secret identities and actually answering questions fans have.

He also produced Beware, which explains this