So, how do you feel about the common convention where children characters are written essentially as tiny...

So, how do you feel about the common convention where children characters are written essentially as tiny, somewhat immature adults?

And voiced by them as well.

It's fucking lazy, is what it is.

How so?

what's the diffrence between a mature child and an immature adult?

Knowledge and experience, same as any child and adult

their age, which is just a number, when the older one typically tends to look older, weight more, and be taller

I feel that people like you think there's no difference between a 5-year-old and a 12-year-old.

user, if you really think Dipper sounded like a real boy, then all I can say is you mustn't have had many friends your age when you were 12.

I don't mean to say that Dipper acting mature for his age was lazy writing. But mature kids still sound like kids. They sound like Jeremy Shada or Zach Callison, actual kids that a rival network hired for their top shows.... not Jason Ritter.

i think it doesn't matter as long as the story is fun

which it was, for the most part

i'd rather have jason ritter than however many VAs gumball and lincoln loud will end up with

Dipper's voice was practically perfect for the character, and anyone who disagrees is a nitpicking autist.

>12 year old boy caught between hormonal attraction to an older girl and investigating the mysteries that haunt a small town in the PNW
>Jason Ritter

Kill yourself.

Um... children ARE tiny immature adults. That's... that's just what they are.

You do realize that if they would have picked anyone else like, say, an actual child actor, you'd have grown accustomed to it and would be saying that voice was "practically perfect for the character". That's because you're one of those people who just mindlessly accept the status quota; you're an enabler of Disney's shitty decisions.

I prefer kids written older than they are to kids written younger than they are.

*status quo. Damn auto correct.

>OP was talking about how these characters are written
>everybody devolves into an argument about how they're voiced

>ywn make dipper wimper as he get burried between your thighs.
>ywn let bipper dominate you repeatedly while he whisper degrading pet names into your ear.

Why live?

I'll take that over adult writers failing miserable in trying to write something that sounds natural for a kid.

I've only found one show ever that had kids written like kids which I didn't find too obnoxious to stand watching and that was Barakamon

When was the last time a bunch of adults wrote a successfully child character that behaves like an actual child?

I don't know, Over the Garden Wall? Although I tend to see kids to be a wide range from innocent to easily corruptible to become a vile being, although I guess that's because I was too a bad kid.

No, I don't agree. An actual kid's voice would likely not fit Dipper at all. Also I never had a problem with the voice from the very first time I watched the show so I didn't just grow used to it

>That boy from The iron giant
>Lilo from Lilo and Stitch
>These kids from We're back
>That fat kid from Up!
>Riley from Inside out
>These two kids from OTGW
>Bart in Bart gets an F
>All characters from Titeuf
>All characters from Hey Arnold! (more or less)

And that's counting only cartoons.

Im a substitute teacher and i can say with certainty that most kids are immature shits, but 1 out of 20 of them are actually intelligent. Thats usually how it is for characters, they tend to be the exception in their society. Thats why we think they are interesting.

I'm pretty sure he mean from cartoon series - most of those are animated movies.

(Which, BTW, almost always have shallow writing that easily lends itself to childish characterization.)

Dipper looked like an 8 year old which makes him seem less believable then he really is.

The hey arnold thing is pretty spot on.
They even hired actual kids as VAs

I'm just gonna ask it since no one is even glancing at it.
Did anybody cracked the cipher?

I think only a 14-16 year old could give a voice that fits Dipper's personality and gave as good a performance as Ritter, but then that kid wouldve turned 20 by the time season 2 started airing so whats the point. At least most people got used to Ritter but Star Butterfly sounds like a mommy.

What anime is this?

An anime with dinosaurs and magic.

i dont feel about it. adults are those that fake maturity and understanding the best.

i prefer this interpretation than the one that insult children's intelligence, like johnny test.

It makes you feel less bad for wanting to fuck them.

Thoughts on Roiland's voice for Morty in Rick and Morty? Does he actually sound like a teenager?

Have you ever been in the actual presence of children for extended periods? Because it's awful. They're dumb, loud, and annoying as shit. Nobody writes children as children when they're writing a protagonist because of how insufferable they would be.

Admit that being a loud, annoying, dumb, insufferable kid was fun when it was your turn.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with the fact that kids as kids make for shit characters

Well no shit, Sherlock. Doesn't mean it makes for compelling fiction.

Only when they are written badly. The kid in the Sixth sense, for example, is not insufferable.

Why is Dipper such a midget? Look at his legs compared to his arms and torso. Little fucking chicken legs. Hirsch really fucked up the proportions.

Yeah it's almost like he's trying to draw a cartoon character

It's one thing to draw cartoony proportions, its another thing to make them look like complete shit. The arms shouldn't be nearly twice as long as the legs for instance.

It's probably just the stock image because I don't recall Dipper looking THAT bad in the cartoon itself in motion, but I haven't watched it since that shitty ending and I don't recall him ever looking that great either.

i hate it
>4 year old falls down a staircase, breaks a bone, and subsequently gets crushed by an older sibling
>reaction is that of a minor inconvenience with zero hint of pain

Goodness, I can't stand people like you. You are the adult I dreaded growing up into and that at 33 years old I can thankfully say did not. Kids are smarter and more understanding than people give them credit for, but recognizing that requires a level of maturity you've not yet reached.

perfectly caters to the manchild demographic, as in me

That's what children want to be.

Children want to have cool adventures like grown-up, not go through slog of school where the most exciting thing that can happen is getting F from your teach or D from the trenchcoat wearing weirdo.

>that is an adult reaction to that situation
What the actual fuck are you on?

>but I haven't watched it since that shitty ending
What shitty ending? The finale was fucking great!

If Dipper is this highly intelligent kid who has a will of titanium, how come he succumbed the TV near the end of "Candy Monster" so quickly?

*succumbed to the TV

Do kids even voice act anymore? The last VA I remember being a kid was Chowder's VA.

Realistic kids don't work for most plots, especially comedy. I agree that Lilo from Lilo and stitch comes closer to a realistic kid than most fictional kids, who are basically just short adults.

children are difficult to work with in the entertainment industry

apart from the paperwork, there's also the fact that most child actors simply cannot act. they lack experience

i get that kids have their intelligence underestimated quite often, but for the most part, they're pretty obnoxious - going by how i was as a child, and how the vast pool of my peers were as children

and they're cruel - so quick to judgement, so quick to violence, so quick to discrimination. i know i was

i know that this sounds like a lot of projection, and a lot of it is, but i distinctly remember most of the children i meet being like that - i.e., people u can't make a tv show about

I don't think anyone would have liked Dipper as much had he been voiced by a child. Hirsch himself was talkin about how he listened to auditions and that they just weren't sharp enough with their delivery. I'd be extremely impressed if you found a twelve year-old boy with a mature enough sounding voice and that didn't trip over his tongue.

Jason Ritter was a great choice. Plus, you know, Kristen Schaal's voice is so high-pitched and loopy anyway that it's way better than any kind woulda done for Mabel.

>kids
>immature adults
What's the problem here? That you can't lure them into a van because they think like old men while acting immature everyday?

>Sup Forums has become so deeply contrarian they now actively WANT child actors
Am I being memed on here or are you people seriously so daft you can't remember how awful child actors are and have always been?

Only Lisa was a mini-adult, and really she was more like a 14 year old in an 8 year old form than an adult. Other kids in the good Simpsons seasons acted like kids.

Yeah they should just be shot in the head by their dad after turning 10

Damn you user for reminding me.

>gravity falls hyped up to be this amazing show of mystery and depth and adventure
>watch gravity falls
>it's just a basic kids show with the most bare bones of adventure and shallow character development
Is there any show that was hyped more than this show? I'm not saying it's bad but shit fans acted like it was some amazing Last Airbender shit

I didn't care for it

so mabel is well represented?

ATLA is so boring it nearly makes you fall asleep much of the time, at least in 2 out of the 3 seasons. Gravity Falls never does that.

>what's an attention span
underage detected

Many can't act and you inevitably have to deal with their voice changing at puberty. Not Sup Forums but Sora from Kingdom Hearts is the first character I think of that was subject to that happening. Osments voice dropped between KH1 and CoM so Soras voice is different even in future representations of him being KH1 age.

Finn and Steven were voiced by actual children/young teens when they were younger in their shows
Did Harvey Beaks use kid VAs?

>what is interesting dialogue
apologist detected

delete this