Was this the foundation for modern geek culture?

Was this the foundation for modern geek culture?

no

i wish

No.

I have a genuine fondness for Scott Pilgrim since it came out in my mid-20s, but I have a very distinct feeling re-visiting it will be a disappointment and I'd rather keep my nostalgia going on with it.

haha good joke
Modern geek culture? define modern.
If anything Star Wars/Star Trek/LOTR/Harry Potter are the foundation of modern geek culture

Scott Pilgrim is something like a geek culture autobiography. It has all the geek things in it but it did not spawn them.

No, it's an example of it.

i reread it a few months back. I began realizing how many other shows and comics took inspiration from scott pilgrim. Id even say our current era of cartoons and webcomics is directly because of scott pilgrim makes the comic seem a bit dated. still a good read

Geek culture does not exist, or at least it does not exist in the way you think it does.

Re-reading Scott Pilgrim when you're older just makes you realize what a stupid jackass you were when you were younger.

Buh.
That's all I have to say, and all you deserve for asking this question:
Buh.

>modern geek culture
>geek culture
>culture

Being a "geek" is not a culture.

It's a label (until recently with a negative connotation) ascribed to you when you're overenthusiastic about any given subject that most people around you know little of or don't give a shit about.

It's not something to brag about when someone calls you a geek. You respond by retreating to your domicile and continuing being enthralled by whatever subject you were called a geek for having an interest in.

More like hipster culture

That's what modern geek culture is. Hipsters think it's cool to be uncool.

Oh please, Scott Pilgrim is probably remembered more for its game than the actual comic, and while the video game is fun, it's nothing more than a simple game that will slowly be forgotten in time. I seriously doubt that this comic had any impact in the comic medium, let alone the ass-backwards thing known as geek culture.
Doesn't mean that Scott Pilgrim is bad, but if you seriously made this thread to justify liking this series, you should feel bad for doing that.

I don't know I think the movie will be remembered above both

Scott Pilgrim feels like my life as a teenager/young adult in northern Ontario. Also O Malley apparently lived in my home town for quite some time, so... uh.... maybe it really relates even more as a result...

You mean geek appropriation, not CULTURE

I re read it recently and it feels more like a proto hipster culture. When I was re reading it, I kept on reminding myself not to situate it within our current generation if I wanted to enjoy it. Basically, you have to take it as a product of its time not to ruin it for yourself.

If you think there isn't a subculture that revels in being called nerds and geeks, often many of the people displaying similar traits and taste, you're just straight-up retarded.

>probably remembered more for its game than the actual comic,
you do know that the game is de listed due to rights bullshit i.e. it can't be obtained legally. and to make matters worse there wasn't a physical release so if you uninstall it you can't get it back even if you bought it.

>Scott has problems with his girlfriend and then the show goes to shit and everything is put on hold while he acts like a bitch
>Finn has problems with his girlfriend and then the show goes to shit while he acts like a bitch

are you also a mixrace who fantasized about being a hip popular white guy?

You do know you can buy it at Gamestop by asking for a code, right? It's like... 10, 15 bucks at most.

You mean
Apple/the big bang theory/Facebook/any movies with a mark zukerbegr like hacker character

The most Tumblr thing I read this week congrats

No. The regecton of religion and subsequent adoption of "Science" as peoples priamy explanation for everything shifted the dinamics making the idea of geeks cool. This resulted in a bunch of fags trying to emulate a watered down barebones version of geekyness, and the development of pop science.
You what to know what really made modern "geek" culture? Bill Nigh "icecream makes me cream" the Science Guy

didn't know that, prolly because there are no gamestops near me. also how does it work do they have a code generator or some such? and how does it navigate around the legal hell that killed the psn and xbla versions?

Scott Pilgrim helped me realize it's embarrassingly easy to be cool, as well as overrated, and the phrase "fake it until you make it" actually applies to all of life like some sort of cursed law of nature.

This usually movies end up being remembered over everything else

>Harry Potter
How incredibly young are you, son?

>regecton of religion

huh. reggaeton for jesus!

that goddamn despacito song that's been everywhere lately has incredibly dirty lyrics. it's considered toned down reggaeton

horny damn not-quite-3rd-worlders

Not geek but some other kind of internet subculture that I feel coorelates with webcomics and tumblr blogs. Hipstery in nature even though the series itself makes fun of hispters.

Shouldn't you be off beating your meat over the latest Peterson rant?

Early 20's here, reading it for the first time now.

It's okay.

Geek culture does not exist. Just because geeks were a bunch of social outcasts doesn't make them a unified culture. Just look at 4ch, look at all the interest boards. The norms for one are not the same as another, they don't even share the same values nor practices. Its a common misconception, prevalent when Scott Pilgrim was being written. Scott Pilgrim wasn't even that geeky; he was social and was in a garage band, he just likes old Nintendo games.

On the contrary, it's the sort of work that couldn't exist until geek culture was established, since it uses it as it's framework.

I'd say it was some sort of combination of The Big Bang Theory, Scott Pilgrim and superhero movies getting popular that contributed to the rise of modern geek culture.

>Scott Pilgrim wasn't even that geeky; he was social and was in a garage band, he just likes old Nintendo games.

This. The creator might be a geek, but Scott wasn't. He was just an immature douche who only cared about himself. The fact that a lot of people identified with him only made it worse because he's sort of the antihero (both through his own actions and the mind-fucking Gideon did to him in subspace).

Lisa is a piece of shit whore.

*Ramona

No, it's not a foundational work. But I'm struggling to find something earlier that is clearly a product of that type of geek culture. Really it's all born from the cable boom and specialty SciFi channel shit convincing nerds that they have to have an interest in all things that are part of the "culture". You can draw a straight line from the to The Big Bang Theory. But Scott Pilgrim is basically just what it's like for twenty-something navigating life through that lens so it's not really foundational.

Ramona is a cunt, but Lisa just makes me want to punch her.

She's pretty cute though.

The series was a critcism of modern geek culture

Joss Whedon is the foundation for modern geek culture