JSA Storytime: Howard the Duck

Good evening owls,

more Howard, including "what happens when Steve Gerber misses a deadline"

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/faq/legacynumbering.html
youtube.com/watch?v=46lKvk08L1s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

so what did you all read today

(this is, of course, Gerber does James Bond)

Kamandi Challenge was so good.

I idly scanned through Legacy

It really did read like a glorified Previews catalog

Hello, Storyteller.

My A/C got fixed today, thank fuck. Also, I'm going to once again bitch about decompression, because fuck all happened in to day's releases. Fuck all happened in WW, fuck all happened in Action Comics, and fuck all happened in JLA. Riveting.

Although apparently there's some shit about Wakanda having a space empire. To which I can only say "The Amazons used to have a space empire Pre-Crisis. When will they go back to having shaky relations with the Plutonians?".

>so what did you all read today

Not much of anything. part of Legacy at lunch. Did not make it as far as Space Wakanda not sharing the cure for cancer with the entire universe, though.

I wonder how long that Space-Empire existed for, because otherwise it looks bad on them for doing NOTHING when Earth was being invaded during Secret Empire.
Or maybe that's just their thing, I haven't read much Marvel

nothing was good desu

>Thunderthighs

Canonically THICC AND LEWD.

I hate Twitter

Ain't read shit today! What's to everyone

Great Darkness Saga makes more sense now that I know there was someone called Beautiful Dreamer in Kirby

I actually found that Avengers One Million BC hit a few of my own personal favorite cliches...and then it got boring once Starbrand exploded

Ha, back when he used to draw!
Terrible back design though

I dislike the Wakandan secret space empire because I have disliked the creep of Super Wakandan Technology Advancement backwards in time since it really got kicked into gear by Hudlin. It's obnoxious power creep of a sort Hickman's really bad about across the board (this is Coates, of course, but Hickman started contributing to it as well), and it disrupts the more interesting story of "isolated nation coming to deal with the outside world and modernity and change", as well as the originating conceit of the MU

Was really there for you getting autistic in the WW vs. Thor thread senpai.

I'm one of those assholes whose favorite Wonder Woman costume is the biker one. I love that whole fucking run ironically and unironically.

>I wonder how long that Space-Empire existed for, because otherwise it looks bad on them for doing NOTHING when Earth was being invaded during Secret Empire.

I'm going with "at least long enough to laugh at Mar-vell dying of cancer like a chump"

COMICS!!!!

But seriously, both Hickman and Aaron when going kind of Cosmic seem prone to a particular sort of "So you thought that was cool, well, my cosmic idea is even older and larger and cooler HUH HOW ABOUT THAT" power wank and I'm really, really over it being pasted onto the page

Artemis best waifu

Only borderline?

Nothing I really wanted to read besides Murder Machine which wasn't ripped last I checked.

There's a really cool look at Legacy numbering from the beginning on comichron
comichron.com/faq/legacynumbering.html

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz

The longer Wakanda had retroactively been the world's tech leader, the more evil their isolationism becomes.

Although I guess a space empire is the opposite of isolationism.

Comics are shit and I've been too busy to read them anyway, still reading Norwegian wood couple 10s pages at times. I just stop by this thread to relax a little.

I need to get to that. When I read WW, I started from Jiminez, which was weird because he was stuck in editorial-hell, and I should have started with Perez. I blame myself for being younger and not liking "older art," which is dumb because it looks fantastic.

At work so can't do a full post but if Wakanda was formed by ancient aliens that's some accidental crazy racist shit

They went to space and forgot about it is just weird

There's an arguement that it's based on the same shit as Thor being cosmic tho I guess

We can still search your Twitter and Foxx you faggot.

>S. S. DAMNED

also holy shit, we really /d/ now

Right, it means you start staring at questions that capeshit is not remotely built to answer like "why is there hunger at all in the MU when Reed and Tony have tech like that" but projected backwards into history--and that's what also violates the whole "The history of the MU is basically that of the real world until the mid 20th century" thing.

I am opposed to extreme handwavium tech in general in comics, it's lazy.

>once Starbrand exploded

Hehe classic

Not as weird as that baboon alien with the orgasm gun from X Men.

But damn close.

>The history of the MU is basically that of the real world until the mid 20th century" thing.
You'd think that would be gone by the time they had Conan

>Marvel just straight up rips off Nation of Islam cosmology

Gerber was really good at the not-at-all-dirty dirty jokes.

>I dislike the Wakandan secret space empire

Honestly it seems like something that if you told me Kirby did it in the 70's I'd believe it, but no artist at Marvel right now can pull off super science in a way that's not incredibly visually bland for my tastes.

Last guy they had who could was probably Dustin Weaver

I don't know if I would press the Snake Orgasms button.

There are literally too few writers that can actually do cosmic. People meme about DNA cosmic but I found it mediocre and Morrison is too much of a psued about it in places like Multiversity and Final Crisis. Aaron and Hickman are still hacks though.

WML's run was really good though, there ain't no "ironically" about it.

Also, the biker outfit usually looks kinda decent when drawn by someone other than Deodato. It's weird.

Speaking of, how are you enjoying Red Hood and the Outlaws, Storyteller?

Are you reading Paklis?

everything about this is amazing

I'm super behind because I haven't been reading anything except for with you owls

>"The history of the MU is basically that of the real world until the mid 20th century" thing.

Tom Scioli likes to think that superheroes should be a 20th Century period piece, which I understand minus future comics like LOSH

Exploding is so much less interesting than the crazy three way time travel I remember from the original

The entire conceit of Conan is that it is Earth in ages ancient beyond reckoning. History forgotten before even our oldest records start to form.

The only things that matter in the MU from the Hypoborean era are Selene, Set, and the occasional wizard-cursed artifact.

I bailed when I realized I was going full autismo, something about WW power level threads gets my goat and it really shouldn;t.

If you really wanted to sure, I did that to avoid self-shilling or getting accused of attention whoring.

It's such a good run that gets unfairly skipped over because it looks so weird on paper.
Also I have an image from a drawthread of Wondie with the DARE MASTER jacket from Nedroid but I can't find it

Yes, it's great. Image has two really good one man anthologies with that and Sun Bakery by Corey Lewis

I should maybe read Sun Bakery then!

>Morrison is too much of a psued about it
Morrison has said that he actually dislikes science fiction. He gave the cliche " the present world is so interesting, why would you want to write about the future" reasoning

The Cavengers team could actually be pretty cool, the idea of Robbie, T'Calla and Danny riding in his car with the rest of them flying alongside is a pretty funny image, but it depends who's writing.

Also goddamn it DugGaurdians is getting dragged into earth shit

Poor Howard, because duck is delicious

Howard's kind of a ducklet.

>more KISS

Maybe that should find it's way onto the schedule. As an SOP? I've never read it.

I didn't read shit today either. My reading list has dropped like crazy.

He's not into cannabilism.

I did see people pointing and laughing at ALT*HERO which doesn't even look SoP worthy, honestly

What does duck taste like.

>I am opposed to extreme handwavium tech in general in comics, it's lazy.
The execution usually is at any rate. See, the thing about useful technology of any variety is that it spreads like wildfire the instant it becomes viable. We know this from real life.

so even in a fictional setting, one must take into consideration how a piece of technology will affect the world. Most writers can't be arsed to do that, and that's where we run into logical hiccups like why disabilities are a still a problem if advanced cybernetics are a thing.

Comic writers simply don't think about these things outside of facilitating fight scenes.

Lol

I also hate how half of the shit Morrison does and later pass them as "I was just doing it ironically.
As for Final Crisis, my problem was that he lost self awareness about it completely. "Here's my story about DC Universe going into depression where I wank of to continuity but actually it's le epic metaphor for anything your overthinking brain can think of."

richer and fattier than chicken

I feel kinda like that ought not be surprising.

This GG-type publicity grab on comics is gonna get tiresome real quick all the shame. There are enough idiots to keep that shit going back and forth for sure.

Are you familiar with the utter indulgence of long pig, OP?

In this case? Orange glaze.

Most sci-fi is actually about the present world.

Heh, no, no, not interested in that

Peking duck three ways? that's my jam

Why does Hercules' lawyer look like Hercule Poirot? That's just fucking weird.

Also, Doris jobbed. Again. I was really hoping Robinson of all people could be arsed to give a Wonder Rogue something of substance to do.

I would say that applies to fiction in general, really

youtube.com/watch?v=46lKvk08L1s

for you kids who are too darn young to get the reference

Those rocks did not hit down very hard...

>tfw too dumb to realize Iliad is a metaphor for present world

It's pretty clear Robinson made a deal with the devil on Starman and the rest is just living it out until Satan finally claims his wretched soul.

The mountain lions are a metaphor for Trump.

Howard is such a shit and I love him for it.

>tfw Achilles pouting in his tent is Brexit

Howard might be going crazy again.

Howard is by far one of the most #relatable characters we've ever read

I mean it's been very obvious since the announcement that this is just a fill-in favor for his buddy Geoff. Maybe he has something real coming afterwards.

I liked Hercules though.
Sucks he died.

Please holy god let this to be leading to some kind of "Giant duck that eats humans in an orange grove" reversal.

Bendisposting on /lit/.
Pretty funny thread honestly, I wish Sup Forums was bit more like it.

I'd agree if I wasn't minnesotan.

Bendisposting AND Baneposting? That's some next level shit.

do you play duck duck grey duck?

>/lit/ Bendis is average looking

makes me think

/lit/ Bendis has a Youtube channel and millions of dollars from licensing books about doomed teen romance to Hollywood.

Today he said that he called DC and then they offered him WW. Which doesn't give ma faith for this run at all. Instead of him having an idea for the character, it seems like he's just doing it to get that check and is just scripting Johns' plot.

Which was what the issue felt like, very workmanlike.

But you can always count on the deep cuts from Robinson so at least the Hercules Unbound thing was pretty cool, just wish he was taking deep cuts from WONDER WOMAN's history instead of someone else's.

Different Madame web.

I own these issues. love them.

The problem with auteur plots is that it all depends on the idea being any good

>Spider-Man gives Madame Web the cream filling
Marvel really was pushing the boundaries back then.

>NEEZ

I think he came back in hopes that he might end up getting JSA or some bigger character when Rebirth changes roster. It felt like Marvel neither gave shit about him nor his books. This kinda feels like the position Abnett was in before Rebirth.

There IS a god.

AND NOW, for the most infamous issue of the run:

Steve Gerber completely fucking missed a deadline

>Once in a lifetime album issue
This cheeky bastard.