I don't know much about comics, but i always see these guys being discussed here and in the mainstream media

I don't know much about comics, but i always see these guys being discussed here and in the mainstream media.

Alan Moore
Grant Morrison
Neil Gaiman
Frank Miller
Brian Michael Bendis

What is your opinion about them and how would you rank them?

Bendis really shouldn't be even uttered in the same breath.
I think Miller would have to be considered the best of the group because he's both an extremely talented writer and artist (or at least was at some point), but if we are just ranking writing ability I'd go

>Moore
>Morrison/Miller tie
>Gaiman
Power gap wider than anything on the planet
>Bendis

Moore is as good of an artist as Miller though.

lolno

For what i hear about Bendis, it seems that he was was extremely talaented in the past and now, not so much.

Forgot to put Kirby. He seems to be an inspiration for a lot of writters

I thought those two hated each other?

user, you should not group bendis with the others

One of those things is not like the others.

Every sorcerer eventually faces a threat so big that he needs to team up with his mortal enemy.

>Moore
>Miller
>Gaiman
>Morrison
>Bendis

Moore and Miller are great, I've been a fan of pretty much all of their works and they both have made some masterpieces. Gaiman is pretty good, but I've disliked some of his stuff. His stuff with Dave McKean is his best, and I think he's a shitty prose writer. Morrison is good but overrated as hell, especially on this board, because of how much of a capefag he is. He re-uses ideas too much IMO, he's pretty much been writing the same 2 storylines since the 90s. Bendis is pretty shit but he made some decent stuff like Torso.

They do. It's a shop.

Trying to read Final Crisis and holy shit, it is impossible to understand.

Wtf is wrong with Morrison? how can people like this shit

Absolutely not. Maaaaybe current Miller but even then Miller is a master of layouts and composition.

What are Millers best works?

>casual detected
Did you read Submit and Superman Beyond with it? Had you been reading the concurrent Batman leading up to it? Because this is all a failure of DC, not Morrison.

Overall or just for art?
For art, Daredevil, The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City.

What is the order of reading?

Superman just appear in the middle of this story and libra disappears

His best books. A friend of mine says that his Daredevil run is the best of all time. I don't really care much about the character, so i just put aside.

is it really that good?

Read Born Again, Sin City, Dark Knight Returns and Year One as entry points

Submit and Superman Beyond go between 3 and 4, Superman Beyond first.
Batman I'd have to look at specifically which issues it is, I'm sure a reading order is easily found somewhere online. It also helps to have read Morrison's Seven Soldiers (Mr. Miracle and Frankenstein specifically, but the whole thing is great) beforehand. Final Crisis is an editorial failure by DC, Morrison never wanted it to be a linewide event, just a big maxiseries that tied all the books he had been writing over that period of time together.

>an editorial failure by DC
Is there any documentary about this? For what i know about Final Crisis, it was an amazing success.

>Born Again
>entry point
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck no, that;s the conclusion of the run, the entry is Daredevil v1 #168. Or Man Without Fear, since it's first in terms of canon but I think that's better as a retrospective than as a starter, and it's definitely how it's intended by Miller.

Yea his DD is awesome. I would definitely recommend it.
Miller's best comics imo are Sin City, The Life and Times of Martha Washington, The Dark Knight Returns, Ronin and his Daredevil Saga.

I think it was a commercial success, but as someone in this thread said, it is extremely confusing to anything but a well seasoned reader. It was also panned by critics (who tend to be fucking casuals)

[Unintelligible British insults]

Holy shit, a reasonable post in a thread about Morrison, Moore and Bendis!

Morrison
Gaiman
Moore
Bendis
Miller

>Implying Moore would ever need to steal from Morrison

Well, his Daredevil is pretty much the only thing I've read from that character and it's great.

>Morrison on top

No wonder the rest of the ranking is fucking ridiculous.

Miller and Moore are also huge capefags, to the exact same extent Morrison is.

What are the greatest cape-comics of all time?

Test

Nexus
PAD Hulk
70s to 80s Cap
Amazing Spider-Man
Lee and Kirby RD
JLI
The Question

No batman or superman? Is odd to see a comic list without them

Also Marshal Law
The Maxx
Badger
The Boys
Ostensibly Hitman
Vigilante
Someone is going to rec their stories anyways.

>Standalone
Miracleman
Watchmen
Zenith
Top 10
>non big 2 shared universe
Ellis Stormwatch/Authority (yes I know that Wildstorm is owned by DC but the comic does not rely on the depth of the shared universe)
Moore WildCATs
Planetary
Invincible (through the Viltrumite war)
>Big 2
Miller DD
JLI
O'Neil/Adams Batman
Binder/Swan Superman
Morrison Animal Man
Moore Swamp Thing
Starlin Marvel Cosmic
X-Statix
Claremont X-Men
Hitman
Uncanny X-Force

Taking into account, their amount of work, their influence on the medium, and the quality of the work itself, here is my list:

1) Morrison
2) Gaiman
3) Miller (tie)
4) Moore (tie)
5) Bendis?

At their very best, Moore would probably be top spot, but overall, in their career, Morrison has the most constant high quality storytelling, and only beat Gaiman, because of the number of comics he's written.

RD?

That pic is Pitbull and rob zombie

Moore has what like 4 duds in his entire career? I'm not quite sure what you're going with there.

GOAT
drug addict
theater fag
Bad Ass Motherfucker
watches too much Law & Order

1> 4 > 2 > 3 > 5

not the exact same extent, Moore has a pretty strong dislike for the Big 2 that Miller and Morrison don't have, even if he enjoys superheroes conceptually

>because he's a salty bitch he's less of a capefag
Yea, nah

>For what i hear about Bendis, it seems that he was was extremely talaented in the past and now, not so much
not true, he's written a couple things that didn't suck shit, but if he had talent, he would be doing what he really wants; writing sitcoms

Nexus
Kirby/Lee FF/Thor/Cap
ASM from Ditko through Conway/Andru
Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne X-Men
Morrison Doom Patrol

>Cap
>Lee
Come on man, the Simon stuff is the really good stuff.

Is Captain America good? I see so little about him besides great moments in events.

And iron man? is it good too?

Bendis is largely terrible. Replace him with Denny O'Neil

>no Simonson Thor

>moorefags too asshurt that not everyone shares their asinine opinionn

I really like TOS and the Kirby solo 70's run.

Runs:
>Police Comics
>Fantastic Four Lee/Kirby
>Spider-Man Lee/Ditko
>Strange Tales/Nick Fury Agent of Shield by Jim Steranko
>Silver Surfer Lee/Buscema
>Uncanny X-Men/X-Men Claremont/Byrne
>Daredevil by Frank Miller
>Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
>Cerebus by Dave Sims
>Thor by Walton Simonson
>New Teen Titans Wolfman/Perez
>Starman by James Robinson
>Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis
>Green Lantern by Geoff Johns
>Captain America by Ed Brubaker
>Fantastic Four and Avengers Titles and Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman

Newspaper strips:
>The Spirit by Will Eisner
>Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
>Peanuts by Charles Schultz
>Far Side by Gary Larson

Stand alone stores:
>A Contract with God by Will Eisner
>Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
>Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
>Batman: The Long Halloween by Leob and Sale
>Watchmen by Alan Moore, and Dave Gibbons
>Maus by Art Speigelman
>V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
>Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross
>Infinity Gauntlet by Jim Starlin
>Squadron Supreme by Mark Gruenwald
>All-Star Superman by Morrison and Quietly

>Cerebus by Dave Sims
>Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
>Peanuts by Charles Schultz
>Far Side by Gary Larson
>A Contract with God by Will Eisner
>Maus by Art Speigelman

How the fuck are these cape comics.

Moore doesn't do as much comics as the other writers, and most of his stuff after 1995 is underwhelming and forgettable.
With Miller, even the duds are memorable as hell.

missed the cape part. Sorry, my bad.

So, marvel is better with ongoing runs and DC with stand alone stories.

Thats why, as a casual, i always hear people talk more about Dc stories. With Marvel is always, "this character is great", outisde of civil War, no one really talks much about a singular Marvel story

I've never gotten around to reading it, it's on my list but I don't even have it downloaded yet honestly. I only rated shit I read, I'm no faggot.

Your best best is to ignore any advice you see on this board.

Gaiman > Morrison > Moore > Miller > Bendis

No, this is a meme. That guy has an incredibly memed out list, it looks like he read off of a "best comics ever" casual list.

This user is correct.

Made a big assumption thinking you read it, sorry my dude. Those are all real nice choices tho, Miracleman is GOAT

>most of his stuff after 1995 is underwhelming and forgettable.
Nigger do you not America's Best Comics?

At this point though Miller has churned out far more shit than good.

>>tfw i can't even understand this chart

Thanks man, I will definitely get around to it, honestly his New Gods stuff turned me off of Starlin, even though I hear such good things about Thor

Kirby is definitely one of the notables that got the art of comic story telling moving.

I don't think Starlin had anything to do with Walt's run on Thor. Not that I know of, anyway. You gotta read it man, it's so good, just look at this fuckin page

Oh I confused Starlin and Simonson somehow, fuggg

>So, marvel is better with ongoing runs and DC with stand alone stories.
That's the stereotype. Personally, that's my opinion, but most people could argue against that and make a lot of good points for why I am wrong.

His Daredevil art was thrash. Shouldn't even be uttered in the same sentence as DKR and Sin City.

you're wrong and I do not respect your opinion

It's good, but not his best work. It's only considered to be so high because capeshit has a low threshold for great.

Always thought his artwork on Wolverine gets overlooked in his library.

Stop shitposting and read

His Daredevil was editorially mandated standard House style.

>His Daredevil art was thrash
>thrash
Sometimes I wish Miller could draw like this, his panels can be so busy

But the layouts and composition were still great, as were the fights. Stylefags are cancer. Plus you're also probably thinking of Janson who did full scale pencils (though Miller did breakdowns) for the back half of the run. And frankly there's really no way to fully house-style Miller. He still shined through.
The real thing I fucked up in that post was forgetting Ronin in Miller's top art list.

Good documentaries about comics plese

Fuck off and read comics secondary faggot

eat a dick faggot

my eyes are tired and i wanna listen to some shit while i sleetp

I'm glad that secondary is starting to take off more on Sup Forums

Looking at screens is way worse for your eyes than reading books, fuck off

>I don't know much about comics
if only there was some super sikret way to rectify that...

I will listen to them while i fall sleep

stop being a bimbo

Ask on faggot

He's still been coasting on his success with Ultimate Spider-Man. Marvel handed him the keys he shouldn't have.

>So, marvel is better with ongoing runs and DC with stand alone stories.
Best not to try draw black and white conclusions.

Are we ever going to get a new British writer who's as weird and interesting as Moore/Morrison/Gaiman/Ellis/Ennis? I know a guy who says that Gillen is the next generation of those writers, but I haven't liked any Gillen comic I've read.

Bendis gets a lot of hate here, but I like him as a person. Avengers Disassembled got me into Marvel, and his Sam and Twitch run made me realize I could care about comic characters (before this series, I saw comics as nice entertainment, but disposable). He's a guy that genuinely likes comics and the fandom around it. I got my first comic done and a subsequent job due to his encouragement at one of my first comic conventions.

I'm sure he's a lovely person but his comics are still terrible

>he's pretty much been writing the same 2 storylines since the 90s
That's kind of the idea.

This, it's like going

Jack Kirby
Denny O'Neil
Mark Millar

Although to be fair, Bendis is at least better than Millar.

>Alan Moore

The first thing he did when writing capeshit was demonstrate why capeshit is bollocks. The second thing he did when writing capeshit was demonstrating why capeshit is bollocks, but more emphatically. This man was over superhero comics before the Dork Age even began. You could say his work makes the entire genre obsolete. It's brilliant.

>Grant Morrison

Demonstrates time and again that capeshit may be bollocks, but we need it. Where Moore says "The Superhuman is a lie", Morrison says "We must become the Superhuman".

>Neil Gaiman
The great dreamer and weaver of fairytales. Maybe a little too much in love with happy endings, but then again, so am I.

>Frank Miller
A titan who fell.
What he did on Daredevil is, to me, the true start of the Iron Age - predating Alan's work on Marvelman by years.

>Brian Michael Bendis
The embodiment of the worst aspects of postmodernism.

Ronin as well as 300 were both far better than Daredevil. Daredevil was some of his weakest and bland estimate work. Thanks Shooter.

Kirby is in a league all of his own.

Most writers would be happy to create heroes. He created gods.

Several times.

Nah. They disagree on the basic concept of superheroes.
But Morrison does hate Mark Millar. For real.

It IS possible to understand... but you do need to know quite a bit about DC comics. Morrison especially loves the Silver Age. 'Final Crisis' is basically a culmination of Kirby's Fourth World comics, but ignoring what any other writer did with the concepts thereof.
But it also incorporates elements from 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' and there's even a little Kamandi and OMAC thrown in.

Marvel still hasn't got anything on Sandman, Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol. Marvel's best stuff post 80s is an Ennis Fury limited series.

then in the actual Dark Age he wrote like 5 comics about why capeshit is awesome