Spawn Comics is very polarizing. Some of you guys will agree with me that the first 150 issues were fucken sweeeeeet...

Spawn Comics is very polarizing. Some of you guys will agree with me that the first 150 issues were fucken sweeeeeet. Some of you may think that it was all edge lord bullshit. I think we can all agree however that it had some of the most beautiful covers in comics, especially the Capullo covers.

Post your favorite comic covers, spawn or otherwise and tell me what you think about spawn.

agreed. here are some of my favorite early ones

His style really starts to show around this era, even though #26 looks like it could have been a Batman cover.

>a Batman cover ALSO

I always loved that image

150? M8, even the first three issues were bad.
It has nothing to do with being edgy and everything to do with Todd being incompetent at panel composition, storytelling and action.

these are my favorite style of the myriad Capullo covers throughout the series.

Yeah and Todd drops that shit once Capullo comes on.

Todd mcfarlane, unfortunately, took himself and his creation too seriously, imagining spawn as some deep philosophical existential commentary or something.

With a design like that, it should have been a balls to the wall style over substance pulpy over the top demon slaughterfest.

At least it gave us Sam and Twitch.

I love Spoon

That was my problem man, I looked at the cover and went in expecting a satirical, fun and action filled adventure like the Redeemer or something, and instead got... I dunno what.

Yet his writing is still shit and wastes every single decent idea he had because he doesn't know how to tell a story and can't stay focused on something for more than 3 issues.
Spawn could've been much bigger if he would've let someone else do the writing.

>pulpy over the top demon slaughterfest.
the 8 issues he did with Eric Larsen recently are exactly that. but yes. the series probably should have started this way and THEN crawled up its own ass after it was established.

I absolutely fucking loved Spawn,but for me it ended at #100. That's where I feel it came full circle and closed things up. I bought every issue up untill 100.

Then I tried to get into what followed, but was met with disappointment after disappointment. So that was the end. Everything after 100 felt forced, or pointless.

You know what? Fair enough.
I only got a little bit of Capullo Spawn before I gave up. It could have gotten better under him.

It always hurts when Erik does something good like this, because he's such a fucking cunt in real life and Dragon is terrible.

It got better when it came to art. The writing was just as shit as ever, except in those few issues where he let someone else do the writing.

Stopped when it got the reboot, after the blonde guy became Spawn and Al just came back with a sword. Think it should have ended after he renounced being God, but makes more sense it would after Al's suicide, to show the gears keep on ticking, in spite of all.

Todd's always been a character designer and salesman at heart, I don't know why he didn't basically make Spawn a line for other artists and writers. It could have still been huge today.

Ego and greed. That's what drove him to attempt to screw over people like Gaiman and Dave Sim.

These are my favorites.

I may be an Angela fan.