Is this the worst thing Alan Moore has written?

Is this the worst thing Alan Moore has written?
Or the best?
I'm still on the fence because I read it once all the way through and I'm still clueless on the plot

Also first comic with preteen rape in it. How did that get published?

Opinions?

Bump

What issue has th rape?

Is it self-contained?

Courtyard was pretty decent. Not amazing, but decent. Some of the references felt kinda hamfisted.

Neonomicon was weird. The fishman rape felt really jarring and kinda went on for too long. Not even due to it being uncomfortable or anything, it just felt like padding. I thought the ending was interesting, though.

I still need to finish it, but I really like Providence so far. I know this will sound all tumblry, but I actually found it really interest how Moor decided to do something that any rarely tries to do when playing homage to Lovecraft: acknowledges his prejudices. The approach with actually meeting with and talking with the people who'd normally be the villains of a Lovecraft story and portraying them as more sympathetic has been really interesting.

If you mean where the girl has actually been dead a while, and the creature swaps bodies with the main character, then technically she is actually a teen, and technically it wasn't even her.

That said, yeah, I'm stunned it got by censors. I mean, in some countries that are going full retard on what you can have and what can get you van'd it's actually likely to be used as at least supporting evidence you are a deviant, and yet it's avalable in any decently sized comic shop. It's even done pretty graphically.

I'm tempted to get it to with Neonomicon and to say fuck you to the nanny state. After all, its a western publishing sold through legal channels. Nothing wrong with it apparantly.

No you have to read H.P. Lovecrafts entire bibliography.

I'm one of the 'heathens' who finds Lovecrafts actual works interesting in concept, but dull as fuck in execution. So I often the spinoffs, and works by other authors using the mythos, far more interesting.

I love the movie Dagon for it's equal parts camp, atmosphere, and tittays. Dat final scene and the tentacle sacrifice and 'lol look, no hands'.

>Merchant Financing
Truly horrifying

This is kinda like From Hell, in that it's a great solid story of its own, but it really pays off if you have knowledge of the murders and their complicated history; or, in this case, of Lovecraft's fiction and his life.

Not really.

The Courtyard (written in 1994, adapted into comic in early 2000s) is about an FBI agent investigating a bizarre series of ritual murders.

Neonomicon follows with two more FBI agents picking up the pieces of the initial investigation (in typical Lovecraftian fashion, things didn't end well for the original detective). It puts forth the idea that maybe Lovecraft based his stuff on actual people and events. These two stories are set around 2007/8.

Providence is then a prequel set in the 1920s that is about those actual people and events before they were filtered through Lovecraft's fiction.

In theory you could read it as a standalone piece, since it's actually masterfully crafted. But it ends up connecting with both Courtyard and Neonomicon (mild spoilers: the last issue is actually a sequel/epilogue to the events of Courtyard and Neonomicon). So, yeah, it's better approached as chapter 3 of 3 of the whole story.

>old sorcerer in the body of a teenage girl swaps minds with the main character so he is now in the body of the teenage girl while the old sorcerer fucks him with his own body
yeah, that was weird

Charge your fucking phone, user

it's pretty fucking great but far from the best.
meanwhile his worst work is his spawn-related stuff from the early 90's.

[/spoiler]What happens next?[/spoiler]

The villain swaps bodies again, now that he has successfully knocked up his (or rather, the poor girls body whom he left to die in another) body, and the main character does what any (slightly less now) sane man who was just turned into a girl and raped by himself would do. He fucking runs as far and as fast as he can. I mean, not only is there nothing he can do, if the 'girl' has a whim that he may be a problem she could easily send him to jail. Lovecraft doesn't really have winning scenarios for the main characters.

Why is alan moore(and by extension zack snyder) obsessed with rape?

>now that he has successfully knocked up

He's saying in french "I'll make sure to pull out before getting her pregnant"

Huh. I forget what the point was then, perhaps a show of power. It's been a while since I read it.

I wonder if a 'Providence Omnibus' is coming. The first volume has got to stupid prices.

Unlikely. Avatar press hates money and always does stupid low print counts. I was right place at right time to pick the hardcovers up when they first dropped.

>I'm one of the 'heathens' who finds Lovecrafts actual works interesting in concept, but dull as fuck in execution

Same. Perhaps we're just not imaginative enough?

>I love the movie Dagon for it's equal parts camp, atmosphere, and tittays

I prefer From Beyond, myself.

It's one of his best works.

Providence turned into predictable shit as soon as they actually started drawing (((Lovecraftian))) (((horrors))).

No matter what Moorefags believe, you cannot write yourself into an auteur around infantile prose & ideas.

Fuck off, Grant. Go write more superwank.

Moore has done two stories already before this that tackles his prejudices. But Providence is the only one that does it well out of those.

Especially when Robert meets H.P. and things get dour.

They put a lot of their back-stock on their online store. You can get it for regular prices there.

Oooh, interesting. I still need to properly finish the series. I'll try to get around to it next month, perfect time of the year for it.

>as they actually started drawing (((Lovecraftian))) (((horrors))).

OK, I might be opening Sup Forumsdora's box here but what makes the Lovecraftian horrors Jewish>

It's up in his better works. Not his best but far above average. I love the way it tells the story in 3 ways, the comic, the diary and the info dump

I read through the first volume and it was incredibly boring.

well obviously he fantasizes about being raped

The fact that lack of copyright makes them hipster easy money fodder.

>Is this the worst thing Alan Moore has written?
>Or the best?
It's pretty good.
> I read it once all the way through and I'm still clueless on the plot
Oh boy... Are you retarded?

They're not a very specific version of white people.

OP is just a newfag that thinks echo quotes are the same as sarcastic quotation marks.

Any good recent horror comics?

He is probably mad that Moore made a parallel between the massacre of Insmouth and holocaust.

>Is this the worst thing Gordon Ramsay has cooked?
>Or the best?
>I'm still on the fence because I ate it once all the way through and I'm still clueless on the ingredients
>Also first dish with preteen rape in it. How did that get cooked?
>Opinions?
Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it good

It's avatar press, they'll publish anything, especially if it's Moore.

didn't he write it because someone would literally not stop badgering him to make a lovecraft comic for them or something?

It's excellent, a modern classic, and this one will not be dirtied with a shitty adaptation too.

>That said, yeah, I'm stunned it got by censors.

What the fuck are you talking about? It's a comic book, the CCA is dead, nobody reads or cares about these things anymore.

It's brilliant and clearly in the higher tiers of his output, it's just difficult to recommend on its own (since the penultimate and last issue technically ask you to know who the fuck the characters from Courtyard and Neonomicon are). But the ending might be his very best.

Nah, he pretty much said in an interview when the comic was in the planning stages that he has kind of a blank check with Avatar Press wherever Lovecraft comics are concerned and they routinely ask him, and he likes the money, so his pitched an incredibly lame version of Providence.

Thankfully it eventually evolved into what we ended up getting.

Why is peter Parker a rapist?

No it's just really hard to follow.
And I've read the courtyard and neomnomicon
I think it basically requires you to be deeply familiar with lovecrafts work because it flew right over my head

It's generally agreed Lovecraft's prose is clunky and awkward to read. He was bullied in letters when he was alive mocking the way he wrote.

>It's generally agreed Lovecraft's prose is clunky and awkward to read.

By dorks

Avatar's going down before that happens

Even for his time he used archaic language and spend an inordinate amount of explaining one detail.

>literal illiterate

What do you mean?

Avatar Press has been cutting down its line and has been having many clearance sales.

I enjoyed it, but then again I'm the sort of /tg/ dwelling neckbeard that genuinely enjoy the original Lovecraft stories.

Of course, I also enjoy Tolkien's prose, so Lovecraft is EZ mode.

Use the companion site.
Explains everything and ties all the references together.

>Or the best?
Neither, because he's written far better and worse. That being said, I still like it. It manages to make Neonomicon better in retrospect and it's a nice love-letter to the Cthulhu Mythos.

good series, shit ending.

>good series, alright ending given that Moore spoils the ending 4 issues before the end in a dream

Bitch, he was paid by the owrd. Everyone wrote flowery shit like that

Mind you that doesnt make it not shit

>implying it ought to have ended any other way

I mean, Moore does the fun thing about setting up a typical Lovecraft escape hatch into the story and then still following through with the whole "it's the real deal" thing.

Madman.

The end of neonomicon already pretty much gave us the ending of the story. What did this add to it?

Retcons most of the implications of Neonomicon's backstory and actually gives most of it weight and substance that aligns with Lovecraft's stories and themes more accurately.

No, that's probably the Violator mini, Spawn: Blood Feud or maybe some of the stuff he did with WildC.A.T.S. or Youngblood, haven't read those all the way through.

What's wrong with the violator mini

the ending issue was the best part

It's just really weak when compared to most of Moore's other work.

Moore sells. Why would Avatar not publish him? Vertigo, Image, Dark Horse would all be falling over each other if Moore expressed the slightest desire of publishing with them.

Lovecraft did something few other novelists did well before (though he pulled heavily from Lord Dunsany and Poe) which is actively engage the imagination of the reader. They used trigger words and sentences to make the reader do the heavy lifting. When Lovecraft described something "Nothing as ____ similar but not at all like ____" he was seeding the imagination. This is not a WORDY style, every sentence had a purpose, unlike Tolkien.

I enjoyed it for what it was. But the link to neonomicon in the last 2 issues came out of nowhere and killed my enjoyment

Came out of nowhere?

The main character of Neonomicon appeared in one of Robert's dreams years before.
As well as the fact she's mentioned in the Necronomicon.

>years before
issues before*

It's thoroughly set up.

Really? Fair point Dave. My mistake

DC and Marvel would too.

kek, yeah but he would never publish through them again

The CCA doesn't exist anymore, the only ones who make a stink are the you know whos and they only care about Marvel and DC.

Has more done anything for Marvel?

>Has more done anything for Marvel?
He worked for Marvel UK, and in retrospect, he did Miracleman/Marvelman although it wasn't Marvel's when he did it.

Excalibur for one