Why wasn't it funny?

Why wasn't it funny?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DMYF3xNd4HM
youtube.com/watch?v=Cux_R_DQsoY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no one likes it when their own mean joke is played on them.

bad writing.
It should've been

>a character who laughs at the world doesn't think his own death is funny
That's exactly how it should've ended

He should have been electrocuted, that would be more funny.

It was a joke. If he admitted it was funny then he wouldn't actually saying something funny, just stating the obvious. When he says it isn't funny you giggle and then he succeeded.

I think joker laughing at his own death is a far better way to go, it show how insane he is and that you can't make him lose or regret his actions making him "invencible" in some way.

>invencible

>muh joker should never have any discomfort or have to have any real comeuppance even while he's dying because he still wins
nah fuck that, jokerfags are cancer.

Worst writer spotted.

>lel joker is so insane that he has no discernible character motivation or values

end yourself

the moment a character stops being written as a person and starts being written as a plot device, they're dead

>>lel joker is so insane that he has no discernible character motivation or values
Wans't it part of his character though? He's just some crazy guy with a super genius intellect wanting to have fun,he don't ever remember his past, that's why he can always be reused.

If Joker was legitimately insane enough to find his own imminent demise funny, his mind would have to be so defective he couldn't possibly function at all as an active criminal. Either that, or he'd simply be a personification of thoughtless malice flanderized to such an extent that he wouldn't even be a character with a working mind at all.

Besides, TAS had already established multiple times that when the chips are down, Joker's a total pussy that can't stand to go near a taste of his own medicine. He's a pompous, overconfident bully that's secretly a coward. The only reason he can bluff as far as he does with Batman is because he can depend on his "no kill" rule to be his safety net, and he can coast off his reputation with anyone else. Realizing that a murder isn't funny in his final moments is the perfect way to finish his story, it shows a glimpse of a human side in him through his childish moral fallibility... As opposed to sanding him down into a generic lunatic who's only "motive" is to spite everyone for no reason, even at the cost of his own life.

It depends on the version, but the most compelling versions of Joker are the ones who know exactly what they're doing, but do it because it's funny. He's still human, not a demon force of psychopathy. The fact that when the tables are FINALLY turned and he gets a taste of his own medicine, his smile finally breaks, is incredible. If he had just laughed at his own death, how fucking predictable and boring is that?

There's a panel in the Killing Joke that 100% defines Joker, yet no one seems to remember it. Batman, for one last time, asks Joker to seek help and get cured, sincerely. In an incredible and heartbreaking moment, Joker actually visibly cracks for a second, and considers the offer. But then he says somberly, "No...no it's far too late for that."

It's haunting and chilling as fuck that somewhere down there he actually knows exactly what he is. To reduce Joker to WACKY CRAZY MURDER MAN is so juvenile.

I mean, objectively speaking it wasn't a very humorous death. He got shot by some punk kid, the end. He wasn't lying.

It's weird. He shows concern for himself at certain points in time, like when the nuclear bomb is about to go off in Gotham, or when Ace discovers the headband in his pocket. But when he's about to be murdered by the Phantasm or when his plane is exploding in World's Finest, he goes into fits of laughter.

So it really does depend on the writer. Though I agree, Joker showing concern for his own well being makes him a better character, not just some mindless creation bent on the misery of others.

>this kills the thread

Because it wasn't Batman who did it.
Tim ruined the punchline he had been trying to set up his entire adult life.

You know what really isn't funny? Falling over on the flag-pole and wedging it further into his ribcage.

Did that make anyone else cringe when they were young?

I agree with you that it would have been dumb, but I would like to point out there are actually people who made quips right before they died (or at least, supposedly), for example this one german murderer who had a blood fetish and asked if he would be able to hear his own blood rushing after he was guillotined, or, for a person who wasn't a piece of shit, the guy during the salem witch trials who said "more weight" when he was being crushed to death.

Because that was the biggest ironic death. All the time he planned to hit Batman where it hurt, where he would break and either kill Robin or The Joker, which would end up making him similar to the Joker in how far he'd go.

But Robin instead killing Joker (either the censored or original version) end with Mr. J's plan going really bad.

While Barbara says that the Joker got the last laugh due to fucking Batman up for real, I'd like to imagine that it was only one of the points that made Bruce as much of an asshole as he was in the Beyond timeline.

Also, how is it that Joker just returns right now? Wouldn't it be more predictable that the Joker transformation of Tim would be present at an earlier point?

Well didn't he literally fuck him up with a knife? Gave him a limp?

also what other points do you think made him an asshole?
ace's death?
>Also, how is it that Joker just returns right now? Wouldn't it be more predictable that the Joker transformation of Tim would be present at an earlier point?

I'm not sure what you're saying.

Does DCAU or Arkham City have the better Joker death?

>This kills the jokerfags

FTFY

DCAU. I tend to think when they said the burred the Joker deep beneath Arkham he just tossed the body in that ravine Harley fell into

It was funnier than the alternative. The Joker just inadvertently exposed himself as a babby sore loser.

I always liked that it should he still held weakness that anyone can exploit on him.

The Joker finds humor in the havoc he wreaks on others but he didn't see the irony of his own death, which he brought upon himself. His last and greatest joke of all but he didn't get the joke; instead the joke got him.

Very poignant. Very well done.

It was funny for me.

Because he was going to die and he was scared.

>I think joker laughing at his own death is a far better way to go

Nah. I think having him say "that's not funny" emphasizes the fact that he's actually dead.

He wasn't scared, if anything he was surprised. He didn't have time to register fear or beg for his life. He just didn't find it funny at all. His final thoughts weren't about his life, but his sense of humor. Which says a lot more about him than showing that he's a little bitch or whatever.

Because Robin ruined the joke. It would have been funnier Drake had shot Wayne, his old mentor, but after the Joker wasted all that time conditioning him he goes and shoots the wrong guy. Where is the fun in that? This kills the joke.

To be fair, Joker did give him the gun. Although he was BEGGING for Bruce to kill him, the 'playsuit' line sent him into such a rage that he probably almost did it. Not to mention the severity of what he did and the fact that he knew Batman's real name were totally him trying to push Bruce over the edge.

I think the joke was to turn Robin, then have him shoot and kill Batman. But he would have settled for either. The laugh he gives once Bruce sees what happened to Tim really shows that he had gone too far this time, and no matter what it would be their last confrontation.

>Joker gets shot in the original cut
>"THAT'S TOO GRAPHIC CHANGE IT"
>Joker gets electrocuted instead

Bruce Timm was a magnificent bastard.

I think it's more that when his potential demise is entirely of his own action, he finds it funny, because that's what he thinks that is the best way to send a villain like him off. He only finds it funny when HE kills people, himself included. Which makes sense, given his narcissism.

I actually like what they did with "joker" in arkham knight at the end. He isn't afraid of his own death, but of irrelevance. So long as he gets to go in a bang he's happy, but killed with no one around or withering away into obscurity is what really terrifies him

Isn't that what they did in B:TAS? As
mentioned, the Joker is terrified of Ace and Charlie Collins, but laughs when the Phantasm is about to kill him and when he thinks he's going to die in World's Finest. He's OK with going out with a bang, but being murdered by people like Ace and Charlie--who aren't really famous or anything--terrifies him, because he's so obsessed with his legacy, and with putting on a show.

The technology Joker used to possess Tim was "bleeding edge" at the time, but it wasn't good enough to fully possess him, just give him hypnotic suggestions. Barbara, to Terry, tells him that Tim started having bad dreams, but she mistakes it for PTSD from the event, not from the chip implanted into him. Given that Tim becomes a technology expert, it's not difficult to believe that Joker used Tim's genius to refurbish and upgrade the machine over the years, until both the satellite laser canon and the ability to fully possess Tim's body was possible.

"That's not funny" kind of still operates as a quip, though.

>I think joker laughing at his own death is a far better way to go
That's retardedly edgy and lame and I'm glad you don't write for these shows.

>your pic
That was a god-tier episode. Probably my favorite.

Reminder that Harley canonically raped Nightwing and sired an offspring that gave birth to the twin gymnast enemies in Batman Beyond. This is 100% canon in the Batman TAS universe.

there was no setup

There's a pun to be made here.

"That's not funny" is an actual punchline because it utilizes the irony of the situation. If he laughed it would have been stupid shit.

i like your answer. i was agreeing with what the others saying about how he'd laugh at his death but you're right. unless it's Batman it doesn't count to him.

Reminder that Batman and Harley Quinn isn't canon and you shouldn't pretend it is canon.

Somebody understood

How does Joker's other death scenes rank with RoTJ? Could it ever be done better?

If you kill your enemy they win :^)

Because being murdered by a prop gun is more terrifying than being killed be a real one?

The best way for Joker to go out is if he got shot by some nobody he tries to mug as he flees one of his foiled schemes.

I'd never seen the "censored" version before, off screen electrocution is pretty brutal too.

The joker with his hair slicked down with the water looked really menacing too.

because the jokes on him

Joker's not just some crazy lolsorandum whackjob.

He was also a really big narcissist. He would 100% find his own death not funny in this scenario. If he didn't plan it from the beginning as his own idea for whatever reason he makes up, he never would go for it.

I find it to be a nice juxtaposition to his death in Arkham City. Weird that both deaths were written by the same dude.
youtube.com/watch?v=DMYF3xNd4HM

I remember that part from Killing Joke, because I hated it. I think having an earnest heart-felt chat like that felt out of character for the Joker. All the bad guys have some kind of sob story about how they came to be, but I prefer the Joker's story being ambiguous. He tells contradictory tales about his origins and he uses these tragic stories to play the sympathy card and manipulate people, but he never sincerely opens up to anyone about his issues. Even if he didn't mention the details, I didn't like the idea of him having a talk like that with Batman.

I like DCAU's depiction of the Joker; an attention whore and a really sore loser who hates being upstaged. He gets angry when people other than him make jokes, or when they laugh at his expense. He goes out whining pathetically about how his own gag gun isn't funny when it's used against him. Still, I'm also okay with the depictions where he's not afraid of death, and actually tries to irritate Batman to the point where the guy snaps and kills him. I can accept both ways to portray the character, but TKJ's depiction felt wrong to me.

I believe some part of the Joker is aware and upset about what he's doing, since some comics have kinda hinted at it (there have been times where some kind of mental fuckery happens and he temporarily turns into a normal guy who's horrified about his own actions). But I think he keeps that side of himself deeply hidden and makes sure not to show that kind of vulnerability to anyone. That's why I dislike the way it surfaces in TKJ.

>its only funny when it happens to someone else

Then again, that side "surfacing" in TKJ would make perfect sense for the "showman" aspect of his insanity and narcissism: If he can get Batman of all people to feel for him, even after everything he's done, then he really is the greatest showman of all time. Even if he's faking it or not, he gets to put on a show.

Doesn't Joker not thinking his death is funny and not being an inhuman force of nature kill the point of the Joker as the enemy that completely and utterly defies Batman's world of justice and order because it proves Batman right way too obviously?

Well that's not his point, so no harm done.

Batman's entire world is built on his idea that there is justice and order to it
That is the reason he became batman
Joker is the living antitheses to that philosophy with his very being
That is the point of the joker
that is why he was pushed so hard to be Batman's main nemesis before he got super popular with normies and was just there to be the edgy clown of brand recognition
The Joker not finding his own death funny is basically the writers saying "Joker was wrong guys" in a stupidly on the nose way

Joker is boring, they simply force his status as a credible threat, they memetic transformed him into a "force of chaos" while if you analyze, he would be a low level villain.

But isn't Batman TRYING to instill justice and order? If there was inherent justice and order then he wouldn't exist, his parents wouldn't have gotten plugged by some punk with a gun, Gotham wouldn't have fallen to shit, every single person he loves wouldn't be in the situation they are.
Joker is just an extreme example of what he's known was out there since he was 8.

Because he's a filthy hypocrite.

Honestly I'd enjoy writing an episode on how to deal with sociopathic bullies. Sociopaths are the dumbest most predictable pieces of shits you'll ever meet and frankly they're fun to play with until you get bored by their obvious stupidity.

A psychopath on the other hand is a genuine intelligent murderer who's actually twisted and is serious about killing you first and foremost rather than just masturbating with you.

I'd enjoy writing an episode on South Park on how fuck up both Cartman and the SJW tirade like PC principal.

Also you could argue the Phantasm is of his own doing since his madness and evil spread and corrupted her.

>people are still so buttmad about casual jokerfans post nolan that can't stomach joker ending without a suffering defeat rubbed in his face.

Get over yourself. TAS 'that's not funny' version was great and so was arkhamverse "that's funny". They're both perfectly acceptable. How buttblasted do you have to be to need joker to not go on a high note?
You're probably the type of guys who jack off over that page where joker almost gets franked.

No one mentioned DKR yet? Joker was fine with dying then if he could blame Batman for it

Literally just this.There was nothing funny or grand about it. A very anti climatic end to such a huge menace to society.

I hate it when the Joker laughs at the reality of his own death. It smacks of edginess for the sake of edginess and detracts from the character. It's much more interesting from a narrative perspective for the character to genuinely be shocked or to not find the humour in his death. If the Joker is a twisted joke given human form, then his own sudden and unexpected death is like having the punchline spoiled by the person you're telling the joke to.

I mean thats like the 1 time it would really be called for, he finally caused Bats to snap.

It's never about if the joke if actually funny, but rather that the Joker thinks so.

Besides, the joker usually base his antics on points rather than comedy.

>The joker with his hair slicked down with the water looked really menacing too.

Agreed.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cux_R_DQsoY

I know there has to be atleast one animator on crew that is super autistic and can't take the continuity errors forced on them by that censorship.Plus all the work they had to do to rework that scene
Actually I'm just projecting, I can't take the continuity errors forced by that censorship.

I'm surprised they animated a whole new scene but found it too hard to remove the knife

>"That's not funny..."
>Pauses for a moment, realizes the irony, small, genuine smirk appears
>Tiny little chuckle before he finally dies

oh shit its almost like there's layers and contradictions with the characters and how their philosophies align with the world its almost like it was established by professional writers

i love how they censored it with an arguably more gruesome death scene

He's been laughing at the idea of his own death since his very first appearance.

Giles Corey's "more weight" is thr simplest, finest declaration of a person's moral and spiritual strength, along with duty to family, in history. He refused to issue a false repentance because he was innocent and wouldn't play into the superstitious farce. He wouldn't yield despite days of agony and pain to end his own suffering, because entering a plea would have meant his children and wife would be legally stripped of his property and inheritance. He died in a statutory limbo in great pain so they'd keep their just due.

>joker shouldn't act "edgy"

I hate it when mass murdering super villains act edgy, they should never do that.

Because the joke was on him.

I never liked this scene. The Joker was 100% ready to just shoot Batman point blank. That's not very funny. Plus it goes against the whole song and dance of the Batman/Joker relationship in most of BTAS