Do you think superheroe comics would have been better if they didn't share universe like shonen heroes?

Do you think superheroe comics would have been better if they didn't share universe like shonen heroes?

You'd probably have a lot more stand out, stand-alone stories, something along the lines of Watchmen etc, but overall probably not, they thrive on sharing villains and teamups. Most of them would also not last longer than 30 years, like most shonen manga

my headcanon is that all slice of life series take plaxe in the same universe.

Interesting question, but hard to answer.

I feel that the shared universe created a lot of problems, but one of my current favourites are the result of it so I can't really say for sure that it would have been better without it.

nay. the problem lies in the rafusal to change the status quo

>Do you think superheroe comics would have been better if they didn't share universe like shonen heroes?

I think most of the C-list heroes will be forgotten.

No.

No.

Also, shonen heroes would be better if they had crossovers.

just go read precrisis

>Also, shonen heroes would be better if they had crossovers
They have crossovers in games and it's better this way than happening in canon.

It's kind of complicated, one could argue Shonen's real quality stems from the fact they're under the vision of one writer who's actually good.
So either Superman dies with Siegel and Shuster, or Superman's direction changes with every new writer.
Shared Universe is only part of that issue, it's a lot of writers getting in eachother's way and a need to hold certain stories back to keep them workable for the rest of the writers unless you have the go ahead to really change things up.

So it's less ditching shared universes and more ditching a constant change of writers and the constraints preventing telling stories with a greater impact.
Or they get more popular now that they can tell a story where they don't have to be upstaged by an A-lister.

I think comics would benefit a lot more if they had the same distribution method as manga.

Nope.

yes, in my opinion
first off it would be alot easier for people to get it into. thats a big problem nowadays with the comic sales falling yet comic heroes have never been more popular due to all the movies. people see the movies and get interested in the character but have no idea where to start in the comics, there is no chapter 1 and stories take place in multiple convoluted universes, timelines, dimensions.
secondly it would make for better stories. you could have long continuous arcs. instead you just have continuities being rebooted every couple years, completely wiping out all the progress the character had. the current comic format can't really support a long single story structure because of different writers so it instead has to rely on villain of the week scenarios.

as opposed to what, being forgotten like they are now?

>Most of them would also not last longer than 30 years, like most shonen manga
thats okay, not everything needs to last forever. some characters just aren't meant to last 70+ years, their premise just can't stay interesting that long. instead of rebooting them again and again just let their story end.

>I think most of the C-list heroes will be forgotten
Yeah, because they are getting so much "attention" from their publishers right now.

They sure as hell get more attention now than they would if they were not in a connected universe. Do you think as many people would've remembered or loved Booster Gold or Blue Bettle if they weren't part of the DC universe?

Possibly, we just don't know how these characters would turn out in a hypothetical universe in which capeshit wasn't ruled by shared universes and everything else that entails.
I mean hell there's no Booster and Gold period, there's no JLI, no Justice League at all.

I think putting the c listers into a big book would make them more digestible sort of a come check out these heroes you may not heard of if a character gets popular enough they get their own seperate comic
It'd be better than the lets make a new character and they can either sink or swim on their own thing they do now

>Do now
But that's wrong. Most New Heroes...hell most heroes, can't go more than a few issues without tripping over some other hero.

> Batman vs Kenshi

Now, I so want to see that.

I actually agree with you.

The problem with cape comics is their history is really complicated and you don't even know where to start exactly. Not to mention that characters are becoming really stale with so many stories being told about them.

Are you telling me that comic books being sold in more accessible places like convenience stores instead of being doomed to being sold only on specialized stores and distributed by a monopoly would NOT benefit comic books in any way?

yup
Not exactly. But that's a simplistic understanding of "Japanese Distribution Method" Comics aren't only in specialty shops, they're also in bookstores and I remember (probably over a decade now) seeing comics in my local 7/11. Though in pretty pitiful numbers. A bigger issue is probably floppies just aren't fucking worth it, and physical sales SHOULD be a nonissue for reaching kids and comic readers but Marvel fucks that up too by having it still be overpriced and needing a subscription. But there's a comic out there that explains the issue really well. Japan has a transportation system and population concentration that allows for a cheap disposable medium like Manga to be easily obtained and enjoyed by more people. America has neither. The issue is so much larger than "put it in more places" Comics would need to readjust their prices, printing methods, release frequency, etc and that still might not be enough.

My main problem with comics is honestly how little content we get in a month. Like, we are only getting 19 pages at most that you finish reading in 5 minutes and the art isn't even consistent to make it worth the wait. At top of that, your book could be either cancelled any moment or get interrupted by event that you didn't sign for which make you wonder if it's even worth getting invested.

Or the sudden creative team change who ignore what the previous writer did.

Reading cape comics sometimes feel like a huge waste of time.

>Most of them would also not last longer than 30 years

Is that a bad thing?

Cheap trades would be a far more viable method of selling comics alongside magazines than floppies.

>19 pages
I feel like you are being extremely generous here. It's feel like 15 pages.

Just about everything any modern capeshit fan loves about capes is the result of various capeshit characters and stories going on for more than 30 years.

Look, I get the complaints about not knowing where to start and that stories should be able to end and have more creative freedom and all of that. But the main appeal of capes for many is due to decisions that run counter to those complaints.

Cape movies are only popular right now because they take elements that only exist because the people who made them thought those complaints didn't hold all that much weight.

It seems the best solution for that is to have books featuring the same characters in some separate continuities but having them pushed as being equally real and important as the "main" universe. People want a creator-driven Spider-Man story with no bullshit? Great! Someone should get on that but also emphasize how it's not somehow not "real" for whatever arbitrary reasons folks usually come up with.

There should absolutely be some re-evaluating and reform in American capes. But it probably shouldn't be at the expense of what so many people loved about them in the first place. There's room for everything.

Honestly, I think DC might handle it better than Marvel.
My biggest gripe with Marvel is the X-Men being apart of the universe. Why are people okay with artificial mutants like the Fantastic 4 but not born mutants like the X-Men? And have any of the Avengers ever tried to stand up for the mutants? Don't you think people would listen to Captain America or Iron Man?

>They're not
>On occasion
>Nah

US has more people living in Urban areas than japan.

>X-Men being apart of the universe
Not for much longer.
For such a progressive company they sure are keen on genociding minorities.

Yeah, Pooros.